GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Dec 2018, 19:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

December 15, 2018

December 15, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Get the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

Veritas Prep CR Forum Expert - Karishma - Ask Me Anything about CR

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Veritas Prep CR Forum Expert - Karishma - Ask Me Anything about CR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2018, 05:15
VeritasKarishma, Thank you so much. Okay, I'm waiting for your feedback for this ^^ question. God be with you.

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Social Network:
https://www.facebook.com/IamAbuAsad

Intern
Intern
B
Re: Veritas Prep CR Forum Expert - Karishma - Ask Me Anything about CR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2018, 23:42
Hello! Could you help me with this one? OA is C
Magazine Publisher: Our magazine does not have a liberal bias. It is true that when a book review we had commissioned last year turned out to express distinctly conservative views, we did not publish it until we had also obtained a second review that took a strongly liberal position. Clearly, however, our actions demonstrate not a bias in favor of liberal views but rather a commitment to a balanced presentation of diverse opinions.
Determining which of the following would be most useful in evaluating the cogency of the magazine publisher's response?
A) Whether any other magazines in which the book was reviewed carried more than one review of the book
B) Whether the magazine publishes unsolicited book reviews as well as those that it has commissioned
C) Whether in the event that a first review commissioned by the magazine takes a clearly liberal position the magazine would make any efforts to obtain further reviews
D) Whether the book that was the subject of the two reviews was itself written from a clearly conservative or a clearly liberal point of view
E) Whether most of the readers of the magazine regularly read the book reviews that the magazine publishes

When I first saw it, I was quite confused about ???our magazine is not liberal??? while the review is completely conservative. It makes more sense to me if the first sentence is "our magazine is not conservative-biased".
I guess the conclusion is that "a balanced presentation of diverse opinions." So the right answer should be C, to see if the first review is liberal, the magazine would bother to look for a conservative view.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2018, 02:56
Rebekah wrote:
Hello! Could you help me with this one? OA is C
Magazine Publisher: Our magazine does not have a liberal bias. It is true that when a book review we had commissioned last year turned out to express distinctly conservative views, we did not publish it until we had also obtained a second review that took a strongly liberal position. Clearly, however, our actions demonstrate not a bias in favor of liberal views but rather a commitment to a balanced presentation of diverse opinions.
Determining which of the following would be most useful in evaluating the cogency of the magazine publisher's response?
A) Whether any other magazines in which the book was reviewed carried more than one review of the book
B) Whether the magazine publishes unsolicited book reviews as well as those that it has commissioned
C) Whether in the event that a first review commissioned by the magazine takes a clearly liberal position the magazine would make any efforts to obtain further reviews
D) Whether the book that was the subject of the two reviews was itself written from a clearly conservative or a clearly liberal point of view
E) Whether most of the readers of the magazine regularly read the book reviews that the magazine publishes

When I first saw it, I was quite confused about ???our magazine is not liberal??? while the review is completely conservative. It makes more sense to me if the first sentence is "our magazine is not conservative-biased".
I guess the conclusion is that "a balanced presentation of diverse opinions." So the right answer should be C, to see if the first review is liberal, the magazine would bother to look for a conservative view.

Hey Rebekah,

The first sentence is correct. Think about it: A magazine commissions a book review. The reviewer expresses conservative views. The magazine doesn't publish the review. It asks another reviewer to review. The other reviewer gives liberal views. Now the magazine publishes both.
Does this mean that the magazine has a liberal bias? Perhaps. One could think that It prefers to publish liberal material. It did not publish the conservative view alone. Since it got a conservative review, it chose to get another review which was liberal and then published both.

Now the publisher is defending the magazine's stand. He says that we do not have a liberal bias. We like to maintain a balance.

Now what would tell you whether the magazine has a liberal bias or not? Say it commissions a review for another book. The review is quite liberal. Does the magazine publish it and gets done with it? If yes, then it did not maintain the balance. Then it has a liberal bias. But if in that case too, it commissions another review (which is assumably conservative) and then publishes both, then yes, it does maintain balance. This is what (C) says and hence is correct.

Karishma

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2018, 03:45
Need your help on this.

Approximately two hundred brands of personal computers are being manufactured, but we currently limit our inventory to only the eight most popular brands. We plan to increase greatly the number of computers we sell by expanding our inventory to include the ten best-selling brands.

So plan is to increase the sales(no of computers sold) by add 2 more brands which are 9th and 10th in order of popularity.

Which of the following, if true, points out a major weakness of the plan above?

(A) The capabilities of three most popular personal computers add to be approximately equivalent, with no brand having consistent superiority in all respects.

(B) The seven most popular brands of personal computers account for almost all computers sold.

Almost all ,say 100 are sold and top 7 contribute for say 97(almost all)
now if i add brand 9th and 10th , and one each is sold ,so then also sales increased and plan is successful.How does this weaken?

(C) As the users of personal computers become more sophisticated, they are more willing to buy less well-known brands of computers.

Is this option incorrect just because it talks about future?(As the users of personal computers become more sophisticated)
otherwise this can be weakener.
See people anyhow are willing to buy less popular brand so adding 9th and 10th brand which are popular wont increase sales.

What is wrong with my reasoning?

(D) Less popular brands of computers often provide less profit to the retailer because prices must be discounted to attract customers.

(E) The leading brand of personal computer has been losing sales to less popular brands that offer similar capabilities for less money.

This can be a weakener.
The top most brands are anyhow selling less and we are adding top most brands (9th and 10th ) so they wont b sold so no increase in sales.

Please help me where i am going wrong?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2018, 00:30
Hi,Veritas
I ran this Boldface today, I was quite confused about the definition of Circumstance.
Since it has become known that several of a bank's top executives have been buying shares in their own bank, the bank's depositors, who had been worried by rumors that the bank faced-impending financial collapse, have been greatly relieved. They reason that, since top executives evidently have faith in the bank's financial soundness, those worrisome rumors must be false. Such reasoning might well be overoptimistic, however, since corporate executives have been known to buy shares in their own company in a calculated attempt to dispel negative rumors about the company's health.

In the argument given, the two boldfaced portions play which of the following roles?
(A) The first describes evidence that has been taken as supporting a conclusion; the second gives a reason for questioning that support.
(B) The first describes evidence that has been taken as supporting a conclusion; the second states a contrary conclusion that is the main conclusion of the argument.
(C) The first provides evidence in support of the main conclusion of the argument; the second states that conclusion.
(D) The first describes the circumstance that the argument as a whole seeks to explain; the second gives the explanation that the argument seeks to establish.
(E) The first describes the circumstance that the argument as a whole seeks to explain; the second provides evidence in support of the explanation that the argument seeks to establish.
OA:A
BUT I do not see any problems in D
Thanks in advance!
P

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2018, 00:36
There is an issue that you are facing while evaluating each option - you are not reading every word carefully. I will tell you what I mean.

The store currently sells only 8 most popular brands.
It plans to increase GREATLY the NUMBER of computers it sells.

So it will add 9th and 10th number brands too in its inventory.

(A) The capabilities of three most popular personal computers add to be approximately equivalent, with no brand having consistent superiority in all respects.
Top 3 computers are equivalent. This is irrelevant to our argument. All three are included anyway so there is no distinction we are making either.

(B) The seven most popular brands of personal computers account for almost all computers sold.
This is a problem for our plan. The top 7 brands are almost the only ones sold. So even if we add 9th and 10th number to our inventories, how will it GREATLY increase our number of computers sold. Hardly any computers of 9th and 10th brand are sold. So adding them will make barely any difference. Hence this jeopardises our plan and is the answer.

(C) As the users of personal computers become more sophisticated, they are more willing to buy less well-known brands of computers.
This suits our plan. It seems the sale of lesser known brands (say 9th and 10th since they are lower ranked than top 8) will be improving.
So it improves the possibility of our plan succeeding.

(D) Less popular brands of computers often provide less profit to the retailer because prices must be discounted to attract customers.
Note that our argument is all about number of computers sold. Profit is irrelevant. Move on.

(E) The leading brand of personal computer has been losing sales to less popular brands that offer similar capabilities for less money.
This suits our plan. It seems the sale of less popular brands (say 9th and 10th) will be improving since the top brand (note it talks about the 1st number brand only). So it improves the possibility of our plan succeeding.

Answer(B)

vanam52923 wrote:
Need your help on this.

Approximately two hundred brands of personal computers are being manufactured, but we currently limit our inventory to only the eight most popular brands. We plan to increase greatly the number of computers we sell by expanding our inventory to include the ten best-selling brands.

So plan is to increase the sales(no of computers sold) by add 2 more brands which are 9th and 10th in order of popularity.

now if i add brand 9th and 10th , and one each is sold ,so then also sales increased and plan is successful.How does this weaken?

Is this option incorrect just because it talks about future?(As the users of personal computers become more sophisticated)
See people anyhow are willing to buy less popular brand so adding 9th and 10th brand which are popular wont increase sales.

This can be a weakener.
The top most brands are anyhow selling less and we are adding top most brands (9th and 10th ) so they wont b sold so no increase in sales.

Karishma

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

P

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2018, 00:40
Rebekah wrote:
Hi,Veritas
I ran this Boldface today, I was quite confused about the definition of Circumstance.
Since it has become known that several of a bank's top executives have been buying shares in their own bank, the bank's depositors, who had been worried by rumors that the bank faced-impending financial collapse, have been greatly relieved. They reason that, since top executives evidently have faith in the bank's financial soundness, those worrisome rumors must be false. Such reasoning might well be overoptimistic, however, since corporate executives have been known to buy shares in their own company in a calculated attempt to dispel negative rumors about the company's health.

In the argument given, the two boldfaced portions play which of the following roles?
(A) The first describes evidence that has been taken as supporting a conclusion; the second gives a reason for questioning that support.
(B) The first describes evidence that has been taken as supporting a conclusion; the second states a contrary conclusion that is the main conclusion of the argument.
(C) The first provides evidence in support of the main conclusion of the argument; the second states that conclusion.
(D) The first describes the circumstance that the argument as a whole seeks to explain; the second gives the explanation that the argument seeks to establish.
(E) The first describes the circumstance that the argument as a whole seeks to explain; the second provides evidence in support of the explanation that the argument seeks to establish.
OA:A
BUT I do not see any problems in D
Thanks in advance!

Rebekah,

Option (D) is not correct. I have explained why here:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/since-it-has ... l#p1112808

Karishma

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2018, 18:03
VeritasKarishma wrote:
There is an issue that you are facing while evaluating each option - you are not reading every word carefully. I will tell you what I mean.

The store currently sells only 8 most popular brands.
It plans to increase GREATLY the NUMBER of computers it sells.

So it will add 9th and 10th number brands too in its inventory.

Top 3 computers are equivalent. This is irrelevant to our argument. All three are included anyway so there is no distinction we are making either.

This is a problem for our plan. The top 7 brands are almost the only ones sold. So even if we add 9th and 10th number to our inventories, how will it GREATLY increase our number of computers sold. Hardly any computers of 9th and 10th brand are sold. So adding them will make barely any difference. Hence this jeopardises our plan and is the answer.

This suits our plan. It seems the sale of lesser known brands (say 9th and 10th since they are lower ranked than top 8) will be improving.
So it improves the possibility of our plan succeeding.

Note that our argument is all about number of computers sold. Profit is irrelevant. Move on.

This suits our plan. It seems the sale of less popular brands (say 9th and 10th) will be improving since the top brand (note it talks about the 1st number brand only). So it improves the possibility of our plan succeeding.

Answer(B)

vanam52923 wrote:
Need your help on this.

This can be a weakener.

thankyou so much :)
Director
Director
P
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2018, 04:28
https://gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep ... l#p2161517

please present your views on A and D . A is too narrow as it speaks only about " ordinarly order supersized foods". that is who generally order that kinda food
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2018, 02:03
Can you please help me with this?

Although parapsychology is often considered a pseudoscience, it is in fact a genuine scientific enterprise, for it uses scientific methods such as controlled experiments and statistical tests of clearly stated hypotheses to examine the questions it raises.

The conclusion above is properly drawn if which of the following is assumed?

(A) If a field of study can conclusively answer the questions it raises, then it is a genuine science.

(B) Since parapsychology uses scientific methods, it will produce credible results.

(C) Any enterprise that does not use controlled experiments and statistical tests is not genuine science.

(D) Any field of study that employs scientific methods is a genuine scientific enterprise.

(E) Since parapsychology raises clearly statable questions, they can be tested in controlled experiments.

As per your article,
http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2012/11 ... tatements/

here
I can say

If it uses scientific methods,it is genuine science.
so sufficient not necessary.
How D fits in your analysis?

As per your anlaysis,

Statement: If A, then B (A is sufficient for B to happen)

ð A implies B

ð B does NOT imply A

ð ‘Not A’ does NOT imply ‘Not B’

ð ‘Not B’ implies ‘Not A’

I ma not able to fit it in ,in these choices,can you please help how to analyse correct choices as per ur article.
P

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2018, 21:18
AdityaHongunti wrote:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-cr-forum-expert-karishma-ask-me-anything-about-cr-278026-20.html#p2161517

please present your views on A and D . A is too narrow as it speaks only about " ordinarly order supersized foods". that is who generally order that kinda food

There you go: https://gmatclub.com/forum/a-poll-condu ... l#p2181320

Karishma

P
Veritas Prep CR Forum Expert - Karishma - Ask Me Anything about CR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2018, 21:39
vanam52923 wrote:
Can you please help me with this?

Although parapsychology is often considered a pseudoscience, it is in fact a genuine scientific enterprise, for it uses scientific methods such as controlled experiments and statistical tests of clearly stated hypotheses to examine the questions it raises.

The conclusion above is properly drawn if which of the following is assumed?

(A) If a field of study can conclusively answer the questions it raises, then it is a genuine science.

(B) Since parapsychology uses scientific methods, it will produce credible results.

(C) Any enterprise that does not use controlled experiments and statistical tests is not genuine science.

(D) Any field of study that employs scientific methods is a genuine scientific enterprise.

(E) Since parapsychology raises clearly statable questions, they can be tested in controlled experiments.

As per your article,
http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2012/11 ... tatements/

here
I can say

If it uses scientific methods,it is genuine science.
so sufficient not necessary.
How D fits in your analysis?

As per your anlaysis,

Statement: If A, then B (A is sufficient for B to happen)

ð A implies B

ð B does NOT imply A

ð ‘Not A’ does NOT imply ‘Not B’

ð ‘Not B’ implies ‘Not A’

I ma not able to fit it in ,in these choices,can you please help how to analyse correct choices as per ur article.

Yes vanam52923! I used the "if" construct to get to the answer here without reading the options. Here is how you can do the same:

The author is saying that parapsychology is a genuine scientific enterprise because it uses scientific methods.
So basically, he is saying that using scientific methods is sufficient to make parapsychology a genuine scientific enterprise.

If "using scientific methods", "a genuine scientific enterprise". (If A then B)
This is what (D) says: Any field employing scientific methods is a genuine scientific enterprise

- this is an assumption made to conclude "A implies B" - "Using scientific methods" makes it a "genuine scientific enterprise".

Karishma

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2018, 22:19
Could you explain this? thanks

Some people have questioned the judge’s objectivity in cases of sex discrimination against women. But the record shows that in sixty percent of such cases, the judge has decided in favor of the women. This record demonstrates that the judge has not discriminated against women in cases of sex discrimination against women.

The argument above is flawed in that it ignores the possibility that

(A) a large number of the judge’s cases arose out of allegations of sex discrimination against women

(B) many judges find it difficult to be objective in cases of sex discrimination against women

(C) the judge is biased against women defendants or plaintiffs in cases that do not involve sex discrimination

(D) the majority of the cases of sex discrimination against women that have reached the judge’s court have been appealed from a lower court

(E) the evidence shows that the women should have won in more than sixty percent of the judge’s cases involving sex discrimination against women
P

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2018, 04:00
Chungrpi wrote:
Could you explain this? thanks

Some people have questioned the judge’s objectivity in cases of sex discrimination against women. But the record shows that in sixty percent of such cases, the judge has decided in favor of the women. This record demonstrates that the judge has not discriminated against women in cases of sex discrimination against women.

The argument above is flawed in that it ignores the possibility that

(A) a large number of the judge’s cases arose out of allegations of sex discrimination against women

(B) many judges find it difficult to be objective in cases of sex discrimination against women

(C) the judge is biased against women defendants or plaintiffs in cases that do not involve sex discrimination

(D) the majority of the cases of sex discrimination against women that have reached the judge’s court have been appealed from a lower court

(E) the evidence shows that the women should have won in more than sixty percent of the judge’s cases involving sex discrimination against women

Here you go Chungrpi: https://gmatclub.com/forum/some-people- ... l#p2181460
Even if you put just the link to the post here, I will get to it!

Karishma

P

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2018, 04:09
AsadAbu wrote:
VeritasKarishma, Thank you so much. Okay, I'm waiting for your feedback for this ^^ question. God be with you.

Here is an example of an official question involving extreme language: https://gmatclub.com/forum/commentator- ... l#p2164813

Note that many options use the same "No country", "Any country" etc. We should consider these options seriously here.

Karishma

Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests
Veritas Prep CR Forum Expert - Karishma - Ask Me Anything about CR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2018, 05:19
Wolves, when hunting in packs, factor in many conditions that will affect the hunt and that can tip the scales in their favor. In snow-fed winters, the wolf pack trails the herd of caribous for days till one of the animals realizes the fact, panics, tries to run and falls prey in the attempt. In warm weathers, the same pack changes its tactics; they start chasing the prey over the hard ground as soon as they spot them. It is likely that the weather-induced changes in the terrain bring about the changes in the hunting tactics of the wolves.

Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest support for the explanation offered?

A.Cold winters make wolves hungrier than usual as they need more energy to keep themselves warm under those harsh conditions.

B.The number of wolves in a pack is typically lower during the warm weather.

C.The cold air during winters is denser and harsher on the eyes, possibly slowing down the aggressive nature of the predators.

D.A herd of caribous is typically quite cautious of any possible wolf packs that could be trailing them with the intent to hunt.

E.The wolves have wide round paws that have evolved to perform like snowshoes whereas the caribous with their hoofed feet can outrun even the fastest wolf over wide plains if they have a good start.

Hi VeritasKarishma.
I am quite confused on the OA for this question.
I feel the answer should be C.
THe OA is E.

My reasoning:
Weather induced changes in terrain causes changes in tactics of wolves.

C.The cold air during winters is denser and harsher on the eyes, possibly slowing down the aggressive nature of the predators.

In winters they are not aggressive because of the difficult terrain, whereas we can infer that in warm weathers, they will be aggressive.
Hence in Warm weather, they start catching the prey as soon as they see one.
whereas in winter, due to harsh conditions, they patiently wait and follow their prey.

E.The wolves have wide round paws that have evolved to perform like snowshoes whereas the caribous with their hoofed feet can outrun even the fastest wolf over wide plains if they have a good start.

This option tells me that the wolves and the prey have evolved in accordance with the weather to survive.
Now from this point on I can't make the connection between how the weather induced changes in the TERRAIN affect the hunting patterns?

Looking forward to your reply.
Regards
Nitesh
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Veritas Prep CR Forum Expert -Karishma - Ask Me Anything about CR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2018, 05:00
Hello, Karishma, can you give me a definition of "consideration"? I was quite confused about what should I look for in the question below, thx in advance

Theater Critic: The play La Finestrina, now at Central Theater, was written in Italy in the eighteenth century. The director claims that this production is as similar to the original production as is possible in a modern theater. Although the actor who plays Harlequin the clown gives a performance very reminiscent of the twentieth-century American comedian Groucho Marx, Marx’s comic style was very much within the comic acting tradition that had begun in sixteenth-century Italy.

The considerations given best serve as part of an argument that

(A) modern audiences would find it hard to tolerate certain characteristics of a historically accurate performance of an eighteenth-century play

(B) Groucho Marx once performed the part of the character Harlequin in La Finestrina

(C) in the United States the training of actors in the twentieth century is based on principles that do not differ radically from those that underlay the training of actors in eighteenth-century Italy

(D) the performance of the actor who plays Harlequin in La Finestrina does not serve as evidence against the director’s claim

(E) the director of La Finestrina must have advised the actor who plays Harlequin to model his performance on comic performances of Groucho Marx
Director
Director
P
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2018, 19:44
https://gmatclub.com/forum/per-a-recent ... 47427.html

please explain how the ans choice is relevant ?
P

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2018, 00:23
nitesh50 wrote:
Wolves, when hunting in packs, factor in many conditions that will affect the hunt and that can tip the scales in their favor. In snow-fed winters, the wolf pack trails the herd of caribous for days till one of the animals realizes the fact, panics, tries to run and falls prey in the attempt. In warm weathers, the same pack changes its tactics; they start chasing the prey over the hard ground as soon as they spot them. It is likely that the weather-induced changes in the terrain bring about the changes in the hunting tactics of the wolves.

Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest support for the explanation offered?

A.Cold winters make wolves hungrier than usual as they need more energy to keep themselves warm under those harsh conditions.

B.The number of wolves in a pack is typically lower during the warm weather.

D.A herd of caribous is typically quite cautious of any possible wolf packs that could be trailing them with the intent to hunt.

Hi VeritasKarishma.
I am quite confused on the OA for this question.
I feel the answer should be C.
THe OA is E.

My reasoning:
Weather induced changes in terrain causes changes in tactics of wolves.

In winters they are not aggressive because of the difficult terrain, whereas we can infer that in warm weathers, they will be aggressive.
Hence in Warm weather, they start catching the prey as soon as they see one.
whereas in winter, due to harsh conditions, they patiently wait and follow their prey.

This option tells me that the wolves and the prey have evolved in accordance with the weather to survive.
Now from this point on I can't make the connection between how the weather induced changes in the TERRAIN affect the hunting patterns?

Looking forward to your reply.
Regards
Nitesh

Conclusion: The weather-induced changes in the terrain bring about the changes in the hunting tactics of the wolves.

Note the very important "weather induced changes in terrain" cause changes in tactics. The terrain is the lay of the land. So we need to see how changes in terrain cause changes in tactics.

Option (C) is talking about the cold air as the cause of changed tactics. But we are looking at strengthening "terrain" as the cause.

(E)The wolves have wide round paws that have evolved to perform like snowshoes whereas the caribous with their hoofed feet can outrun even the fastest wolf over wide plains if they have a good start.
It seems that the wolves are good at running in snow, better than caribous so when the terrain is snowy, they wait for the prey to make a mistake and then catch it.
But caribous are very fast over wide plains and will outrun if they have a good head start so the wolves start running as soon as they see them (to give them minimum head start).
This does better explain how terrain could be the cause of change in tactics.

Answer (E)

Karishma

P

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2018, 01:34
Rebekah wrote:
Hello, Karishma, can you give me a definition of "consideration"? I was quite confused about what should I look for in the question below, thx in advance

Theater Critic: The play La Finestrina, now at Central Theater, was written in Italy in the eighteenth century. The director claims that this production is as similar to the original production as is possible in a modern theater. Although the actor who plays Harlequin the clown gives a performance very reminiscent of the twentieth-century American comedian Groucho Marx, Marx’s comic style was very much within the comic acting tradition that had begun in sixteenth-century Italy.

The considerations given best serve as part of an argument that

(A) modern audiences would find it hard to tolerate certain characteristics of a historically accurate performance of an eighteenth-century play

(B) Groucho Marx once performed the part of the character Harlequin in La Finestrina

(C) in the United States the training of actors in the twentieth century is based on principles that do not differ radically from those that underlay the training of actors in eighteenth-century Italy

(D) the performance of the actor who plays Harlequin in La Finestrina does not serve as evidence against the director’s claim

(E) the director of La Finestrina must have advised the actor who plays Harlequin to model his performance on comic performances of Groucho Marx

A consideration is a premise. Imagine a debate between A and B. A is in favour of C and B is against it. So A says "ok, consider this: ..." Basically he is giving you some data to consider to strengthen his position.

The considerations given - data given
best serve as part of an argument that - best support the argument (conclusion) that ...

Basically, the premises given will be best part of an argument that implies/concludes/says ...?

Karishma

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Veritas Prep CR Forum Expert - Karishma - Ask Me Anything about CR &nbs [#permalink] 03 Dec 2018, 01:34

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8    Next  [ 144 posts ] 

Veritas Prep CR Forum Expert - Karishma - Ask Me Anything about CR

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap