Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:34 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:

Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2222 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [0]
Send PM
Re: Veritas Prep CR Forum Expert - Karishma - Ask Me Anything about CR [#permalink]
Expert Reply
gmat1393 wrote:
Hi VeritasKarishma

I guess you missed this one. Can you help with this?

gmat1393 wrote:
Hi VeritasKarishma

Please help in solving this one: https://gmatclub.com/forum/physician-th ... 88550.html

please explain why is option A better than option C

Yes, missed it somehow... Here you go:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/physician-th ... l#p2317220
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
Send PM
Re: Veritas Prep CR Forum Expert - Karishma - Ask Me Anything about CR [#permalink]
VeritasKarishma wrote:
Ask me Anything about GMAT Critical Reasoning

Hello and welcome to my CR Expert Topic. Let me know if you have any CR questions I can help with - strategy, specific ones, etc.

You may know me from forum discussion - I am one of the resident Veritas Prep Experts on GMAT Club. I have over 8,000 posts and 22,000 Kudos. I hope you find my replies and explanations helpful. If you have any specific questions about Critical Reasoning in General such as strategy/approach, feel free to post them here and I will be happy to address them. I intend to have this thread be as a "Everything You Need to Know about CR" type of thread.

If you have questions about a specific CR question and why something does not seem right, please post a link here for me with your specific question/concern. Please do not double-post - that's not polite and against the GMAT Club rules.

Thank you all - good luck on the GMAT and look forward to seeing you in the CR forum!
Karishma.

Hi VeritasKarishma,

Please help me see how to determine the range of assumptions, prephrases or whatever they are called.
I have read several materials on CR, in which one of the steps to answer strenghen, weaken, assumption, and flaw in the reasonings is determining the range of prephrasing.

Thanks a lot.
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
nurba92 wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
Ask me Anything about GMAT Critical Reasoning

Hello and welcome to my CR Expert Topic. Let me know if you have any CR questions I can help with - strategy, specific ones, etc.

You may know me from forum discussion - I am one of the resident Veritas Prep Experts on GMAT Club. I have over 8,000 posts and 22,000 Kudos. I hope you find my replies and explanations helpful. If you have any specific questions about Critical Reasoning in General such as strategy/approach, feel free to post them here and I will be happy to address them. I intend to have this thread be as a "Everything You Need to Know about CR" type of thread.

If you have questions about a specific CR question and why something does not seem right, please post a link here for me with your specific question/concern. Please do not double-post - that's not polite and against the GMAT Club rules.

Thank you all - good luck on the GMAT and look forward to seeing you in the CR forum!
Karishma.

Hi VeritasKarishma,

Please help me see how to determine the range of assumptions, prephrases or whatever they are called.
I have read several materials on CR, in which one of the steps to answer strenghen, weaken, assumption, and flaw in the reasonings is determining the range of prephrasing.

Thanks a lot.

I think you are talking about pre-thinking. Here are my thoughts on it:

Pre-thinking is useful though a bit over rated. It sometimes helps you keep a tight control on what is relevant and what may not be. Often, when you read an argument, you are able to see gaps in logic, places where the author jumps to conclusion without providing any valid evidence, where you see that multiple explanations are possible etc. More often that not, you shouldn't really be allotting time to "pre-thinking" per se. It is a part of trying to understand what the argument is saying. When you read the argument, you rephrase it in your words - ok, so this is what the author wants to say and this is the data he gives for that. But hey, he doesn't talk about this, this is what is missing or what we need is some reason to justify why this happens etc. If nothing comes to mind immediately, there is not a moment to waste. The options will tell you exactly what is missing and what is needed.

The point is that after doing N number of CR questions, you automatically begin to speculate the kind of question that is coming up and/or what the correct option may say. It is a natural progression and you don't need to stress out about it. Try to rephrase the argument in your own words and evaluate how good or bad the logic is. Thereafter, go to the options.

Here are some examples of how you break down arguments:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/press-secret ... rethinking
https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-gandania- ... rethinking
https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-general-j ... rethinking
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 176 [0]
Given Kudos: 687
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GPA: 3.6
WE:Marketing (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Karishma,

Do you have any specific strategy to tackle complete the argument question? I find them a bit weird. Sometimes the author is looking for alternate reasoning, sometimes just the conclusion, etc.
I get quite a few wrong in those. Also, I wanted to ask if you have the break of the number of questions from each question type which a person is going to see on the real GMAT.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
Send PM
Hi VeritasKarishma,

Thanks for the reply on the range of argument.

Can you please explain how A and D work on this problem:
Financial success does not guarantee happiness. This claim is not mere proverbial wisdom but a fact verified by statistics. In a recently concluded survey, only one-third of the respondents who claimed to have achieved financial success reported that they were happy.

Which one of the following, if true, most strongly supports the conclusion drawn from the survey results?

(A) The respondents who reported financial success were, for the most part, financially successful
(D) Many of the respondents who failed to report financial success were in fact financially successful

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
According to an analysis of the ten most popular primetime TV programs from 2001 to 2011, the popularity of the reality television genre has fallen considerably from its peak in 2007, while the general drama category has reclaimed much of its lost ground. This analysis, however, must clearly be unfounded since both the current number one and number three shows are reality programs.
The answer to which one of the following questions would contribute most to an evaluation of the argument?
A.)To what extent are the number one and number three reality programs representative of their genre as a whole?
B.)What was the statistical norm in popularity of the reality genre prior to its peak in 2007?
C.)How many new reality television programs have been released since 2007?
D.)What proportion of reality television programs that were once unpopular have seen a resurgence in popularity?
E.)Of the reality programs that are still popular, how many are profitable?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
kavach wrote:
Karishma,

Do you have any specific strategy to tackle complete the argument question? I find them a bit weird. Sometimes the author is looking for alternate reasoning, sometimes just the conclusion, etc.
I get quite a few wrong in those. Also, I wanted to ask if you have the break of the number of questions from each question type which a person is going to see on the real GMAT.

Thanks

Complete the passage questions can belong to any of the other different question types. Depending on the last line of the argument, you can figure out how to complete it. For example:

When the products of several competing suppliers are perceived by consumers to be essentially the same, classical economics predicts that price competition will reduce prices to the same minimal levels and all suppliers’ profits to the same minimal levels. Therefore, if classical economics is true, and given suppliers’ desire to make as much profit as possible, it should be expected that ____________

The argument tells us that when products are same, classical economics predicts minimal profits. So if classical economics is true and we know that suppliers want to make as much profit as possible, we can expect that ___ (what can we INFER from this?)
We can expect something that says that suppliers try to make their products unique.

Exporters in Country X are facing lower revenues due to a shortage of the large metal shipping containers in which they send their goods by sea to other countries. Fewer containers arrive in Country X due to reductions in imports. This has meant lost orders, costly delays, and a scramble for alternatives, such as air freight, all of which are costlier. Moreover, the revenues of exporters in Country X will probably continue to decline in the near future. This is because other countries are likely to find it increasingly unprofitable to export their goods to Country X, and because __________.

The argument tells us that the revenues of exporters will probably continue to decline in future. Then it goes on to say "this is because of A and because ____"
So we are looking for another reason that revenues of exporters will continue to decline. We are looking for something that will STRENGTHEN that revenues of exporters will continue to decline.
The correct option says "shipping companies are willing to move containers from country to country only when the containers are full".

Strengthen/weaken/inference questions are most important.
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
nurba92 wrote:
Hi VeritasKarishma,

Thanks for the reply on the range of argument.

Can you please explain how A and D work on this problem:
Financial success does not guarantee happiness. This claim is not mere proverbial wisdom but a fact verified by statistics. In a recently concluded survey, only one-third of the respondents who claimed to have achieved financial success reported that they were happy.

Which one of the following, if true, most strongly supports the conclusion drawn from the survey results?

(A) The respondents who reported financial success were, for the most part, financially successful
(D) Many of the respondents who failed to report financial success were in fact financially successful

Thanks

I have answered it here with focus on (A) and (D)

https://gmatclub.com/forum/financial-su ... l#p2340238
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 186
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi Karishma,

I have 1 conceptual doubt in CR.
In questions dealing with plan and its result, if the question stem is to doubt that plan will work, do we need to show that the plan itself wont happen or that the plan will happen but its result wont occur?

I hope I am able to frame my question properly.
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sanso wrote:
According to an analysis of the ten most popular primetime TV programs from 2001 to 2011, the popularity of the reality television genre has fallen considerably from its peak in 2007, while the general drama category has reclaimed much of its lost ground. This analysis, however, must clearly be unfounded since both the current number one and number three shows are reality programs.
The answer to which one of the following questions would contribute most to an evaluation of the argument?
A.)To what extent are the number one and number three reality programs representative of their genre as a whole?
B.)What was the statistical norm in popularity of the reality genre prior to its peak in 2007?
C.)How many new reality television programs have been released since 2007?
D.)What proportion of reality television programs that were once unpopular have seen a resurgence in popularity?
E.)Of the reality programs that are still popular, how many are profitable?

Here is the explanation:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/cr-evaluatio ... l#p2340577
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 289 [0]
Given Kudos: 222
GPA: 3
Send PM
Hey VeritasKarishma
GMATNinja nightblade354 gmat1393, feel free to see what you can add too.
Quote:
Consumer advocate: Businesses are typically motivated primarily by the desire to make as great a profit as possible, and advertising helps businesses to achieve this goal. But it is clear that the motive of maximizing profits does not impel businesses to present accurate information in their advertisements. It follows that consumers should be skeptical of the claims made in advertisements.

Each of the following, if true, would strengthen the consumer advocate’s argument EXCEPT:

(A) Businesses know that they can usually maximize their profits by using inaccurate information in their advertisements.
(B) Businesses have often included inaccurate information in their advertisements.
(C) Many consumers have a cynical attitude toward advertising.
(D) Those who create advertisements are less concerned with the accuracy than with the creativity of advertisements.
(E) The laws regulating truth in advertising are not applicable to many of the most common forms of inaccurate advertising.

This is an LSAT question. OA- C. Could you help me with why C is correct?
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5740 [0]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Expert Reply
sharathnair14 wrote:
Hey VeritasKarishma
GMATNinja nightblade354 gmat1393, feel free to see what you can add too.
Quote:
Consumer advocate: Businesses are typically motivated primarily by the desire to make as great a profit as possible, and advertising helps businesses to achieve this goal. But it is clear that the motive of maximizing profits does not impel businesses to present accurate information in their advertisements. It follows that consumers should be skeptical of the claims made in advertisements.

Each of the following, if true, would strengthen the consumer advocate’s argument EXCEPT:

(A) Businesses know that they can usually maximize their profits by using inaccurate information in their advertisements.
(B) Businesses have often included inaccurate information in their advertisements.
(C) Many consumers have a cynical attitude toward advertising.
(D) Those who create advertisements are less concerned with the accuracy than with the creativity of advertisements.
(E) The laws regulating truth in advertising are not applicable to many of the most common forms of inaccurate advertising.

This is an LSAT question. OA- C. Could you help me with why C is correct?

IanStewart posted an explanation already here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/consumer-adv ... 03036.html

If this is not sufficient, I can expand upon it. There are also explanations here: https://forum.powerscore.com/lsat/viewtopic.php?t=27210 and https://www.manhattanprep.com/lsat/foru ... t8376.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 289 [0]
Given Kudos: 222
GPA: 3
Send PM
nightblade354 hey! I went back and looked again and absolutely loathed myself for not noticing the strengthens Except part of the Question Stem.
Anyway, I just read your strategy of BlindReview for CR Questions. I've made it a point to start Blind Reviewing today and hopefully I'll PM you and say wow it really helped after Test Day.

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5740 [0]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Expert Reply
sharathnair14 wrote:
nightblade354 hey! I went back and looked again and absolutely loathed myself for not noticing the strengthens Except part of the Question Stem.
Anyway, I just read your strategy of BlindReview for CR Questions. I've made it a point to start Blind Reviewing today and hopefully I'll PM you and say wow it really helped after Test Day.

Happens to the best of us, so don't worry about it. And I hope that day comes.
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
nkhl.goyal wrote:
Hi Karishma,

I have 1 conceptual doubt in CR.
In questions dealing with plan and its result, if the question stem is to doubt that plan will work, do we need to show that the plan itself wont happen or that the plan will happen but its result wont occur?

I hope I am able to frame my question properly.

Hey nkhl.goyal,

I do understand your question. Usually, the correct option tells us why we won't obtain the required result.
But if you have a particular question in mind, share the link.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2222 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Hi VeritasKarishma

Please help in solving this one: https://gmatclub.com/forum/according-to ... l#p2070098

please explain why is option A better than option B

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 128
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
Good Evening VeritasKarishma,

I have already finished reading Powerscore CR bible, solved all the included problem sets with >80% accuracy(powerscore problems seem easy). But while solving tough questions(from Magoosh and OG), I still face difficulties like after eliminating 3 options I often choose the wrong of the two remaining choices.

So what should I do to improve? Read another theory book(I have Manhattan CR), re-read Powerscore or any other thing?

I will appreciate any advice or help.

Thank you.
DV

GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  12   13   14   15   16   17   18  ...  34   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts