GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Sep 2019, 06:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Physician: The rise in blood pressure that commonly accompanies aging

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
VP
VP
avatar
V
Joined: 30 Jan 2016
Posts: 1148
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Physician: The rise in blood pressure that commonly accompanies aging  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2019, 09:24
2
12
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  85% (hard)

Question Stats:

51% (02:16) correct 49% (02:27) wrong based on 547 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Physician: The rise in blood pressure that commonly accompanies aging often results from a calcium deficiency. This deficiency is frequently caused by a deficiency in the active form of vitamin D needed in order for the body to absorb calcium. Since the calcium in one glass of milk per day can easily make up for any underlying calcium deficiency, some older people can lower their blood pressure by drinking milk.

The physician’s conclusion is properly drawn if which one of the following is assumed?

(A) There is in milk, in a form that older people can generally utilize, enough of the active form of vitamin D and any other substances needed in order for the body to absorb the calcium in that milk.

(B) Milk does not contain any substance that is likely to cause increased blood pressure in older people.

(C) Older people’s drinking one glass of milk per day does not contribute to a deficiency in the active form of vitamin D needed in order for the body to absorb the calcium in that milk.

(D) People who consume high quantities of calcium together with the active form of vitamin D and any other substances needed in order for the body to absorb calcium have normal blood pressure.

(E) Anyone who has a deficiency in the active form of vitamin D also has a calcium deficiency.

_________________
Non progredi est regredi
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
D
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9625
Location: Pune, India
Re: Physician: The rise in blood pressure that commonly accompanies aging  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2019, 03:58
2
1
Akela wrote:
Physician: The rise in blood pressure that commonly accompanies aging often results from a calcium deficiency. This deficiency is frequently caused by a deficiency in the active form of vitamin D needed in order for the body to absorb calcium. Since the calcium in one glass of milk per day can easily make up for any underlying calcium deficiency, some older people can lower their blood pressure by drinking milk.

The physician’s conclusion is properly drawn if which one of the following is assumed?

(A) There is in milk, in a form that older people can generally utilize, enough of the active form of vitamin D and any other substances needed in order for the body to absorb the calcium in that milk.

(B) Milk does not contain any substance that is likely to cause increased blood pressure in older people.

(C) Older people’s drinking one glass of milk per day does not contribute to a deficiency in the active form of vitamin D needed in order for the body to absorb the calcium in that milk.

(D) People who consume high quantities of calcium together with the active form of vitamin D and any other substances needed in order for the body to absorb calcium have normal blood pressure.

(E) Anyone who has a deficiency in the active form of vitamin D also has a calcium deficiency.


High BP in old age is caused by Calcium def.
Calcium def is often caused by active form of Vitamin D def.
A glass of milk has enough Calcium to make up def.

Conclusion: Some older people can lower their blood pressure by drinking milk.

The physician’s conclusion is properly drawn if which one of the following is assumed?

Note the question stem properly - which one should we assume to properly draw the conclusion i.e. to establish the conclusion i.e. to make the conclusion stand. So we are looking for what is sufficient to make the conclusion hold. We want to establish that drinking milk could lower BP in old people. The calcium def happens because of Vitamin D def. So we should establish that the glass of milk will provide enough active vitamin D along with calcium to lower BP.

(A) There is in milk, in a form that older people can generally utilize, enough of the active form of vitamin D and any other substances needed in order for the body to absorb the calcium in that milk.

Perfect. It says that milk has enough active vitamin D (and anything else that might be needed too) to absorb calcium. So now our conclusion makes perfect sense. A glass of milk should help some elderly lower their BP.

(B) Milk does not contain any substance that is likely to cause increased blood pressure in older people.

It doesn't help establish our conclusion. It is not sufficient to make our conclusion stand.

(C) Older people’s drinking one glass of milk per day does not contribute to a deficiency in the active form of vitamin D needed in order for the body to absorb the calcium in that milk.

Again, a good assumption but not one that will help establish our conclusion. The glass of milk should help aid the absorption of calcium - just not hindering the absorption is not good enough. It must provide vitamin D.

(D) People who consume high quantities of calcium together with the active form of vitamin D and any other substances needed in order for the body to absorb calcium have normal blood pressure.

Doesn't connect milk to vitamin D so doesn't help establish our conclusion.

(E) Anyone who has a deficiency in the active form of vitamin D also has a calcium deficiency.

Doesn't connect milk to vitamin D so doesn't help establish our conclusion.

Answer (A)
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 08 Jul 2016
Posts: 69
Location: United States (NY)
Schools: Johnson '22
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Re: Physician: The rise in blood pressure that commonly accompanies aging  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2019, 11:11
1
This is a sufficient assumption question, which is not relevant in GMAT. so be careful while selecting assumption questions from LSAT. Only necessary assumption questions are asked in GMAT.
Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 20 Sep 2016
Posts: 637
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.95
WE: Operations (Real Estate)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Physician: The rise in blood pressure that commonly accompanies aging  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2019, 03:12
manishcmu wrote:
This is a sufficient assumption question, which is not relevant in GMAT. so be careful while selecting assumption questions from LSAT. Only necessary assumption questions are asked in GMAT.


Necessary Vs sufficient condition " is often used in GMAT. The answer choices that GMAT provides are very well in accordance to necessary or sufficient condition. For your reference an article from egmat on Necesary Vs Sufficient consition.
https://e-gmat.com/blogs/gmat-critical- ... onditions/
In the above link there are some OFFICIAL examples discussed too.

Please do not suggest such things. See to it that there is ENOUGH evidence to your claim !!
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 08 Jul 2016
Posts: 69
Location: United States (NY)
Schools: Johnson '22
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Re: Physician: The rise in blood pressure that commonly accompanies aging  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2019, 03:26
AdityaHongunti wrote:
manishcmu wrote:
This is a sufficient assumption question, which is not relevant in GMAT. so be careful while selecting assumption questions from LSAT. Only necessary assumption questions are asked in GMAT.


Necessary Vs sufficient condition " is often used in GMAT. The answer choices that GMAT provides are very well in accordance to necessary or sufficient condition. For your reference an article from egmat on Necesary Vs Sufficient consition.
https://e-gmat.com/blogs/gmat-critical- ... onditions/
In the above link there are some OFFICIAL examples discussed too.

Please do not suggest such things. See to it that there is ENOUGH evidence to your claim !!


AdityaHongunti - Chill bro! You are mixing up conditional statements (that do show up in GMAT) with Sufficient assumption. Egmat talks about necessary and sufficient conditions in a CONDITIONAL statement . Necessary assumption that comes in GMAT is REQUIRED by the argument. Sufficient assumption is a kind of assumption that when true GUARANTEES the conclusion in the argument.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 08 Jul 2016
Posts: 69
Location: United States (NY)
Schools: Johnson '22
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Re: Physician: The rise in blood pressure that commonly accompanies aging  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2019, 03:34
By the way, I revere LSAT questions. If someone wants to solve then it is a great question. However, I feel that it is not relevant to GMAT.
Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 20 Sep 2016
Posts: 637
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.95
WE: Operations (Real Estate)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Physician: The rise in blood pressure that commonly accompanies aging  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2019, 03:35
1
In the above example there the author says that the old ppl CAN lower..... He does not say WILL lower... But for the "CAN", part to occur we need an assumption a necessary one which is about the VIT D.
And that's provided by A.
If the author had said that the old ppl WILL lower...then that would not be a SUFFICIENT assumption... coz we need to even make sure all other conditions are satisfied the

"CAN" is different than WILL"

YOU CAN succeed in GMAT
Does not mean YOU WILL...

So there isn't actually any point of necessary Vs sufficient...

The conclusion itself is mild enough to just allow for 1 assumption...it does not demand both a necessary and a sufficient condition.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 08 Jul 2016
Posts: 69
Location: United States (NY)
Schools: Johnson '22
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Re: Physician: The rise in blood pressure that commonly accompanies aging  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2019, 03:53
A is the right answer if you treat it as a sufficient assumption question (which is what you should do as per the question stem). But this is definitely not the right answer for Necessary assumption. Will the argument break if active Vitamin D is not present in the milk and old people get Vitamin D from other food sources? No. Still some older people can lower their blood pressure. This answer choice is correct because it GUARANTEES that some older people can lower their blood pressure but it is definitely not REQUIRED by the argument. This is where difference between necessary and sufficient assumption comes in.
Booth Moderator
avatar
G
Joined: 11 Feb 2018
Posts: 285
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
Re: Physician: The rise in blood pressure that commonly accompanies aging  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2019, 04:19
Why is C wrong..?

Can anybody please help..
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 08 Jul 2016
Posts: 69
Location: United States (NY)
Schools: Johnson '22
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Re: Physician: The rise in blood pressure that commonly accompanies aging  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2019, 04:31
1
1
redskull1 wrote:
Why is C wrong..?

Can anybody please help..


C is wrong because this is a sufficient assumption question. So, the negation test won't work here. The test that you can do here is to see whether the assumption guarantees the conclusion. Only A guarantees the conclusion because it says that active Vitamin D is present in milk, so calcium will be absorbed by old people who drink milk, thereby lowering blood pressure. C does not guarantee that calcium in the milk will be absorbed by the body.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 09 Aug 2017
Posts: 410
Re: Physician: The rise in blood pressure that commonly accompanies aging  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2019, 07:21
(A) There is in milk, in a form that older people can generally utilize, enough of the active form of vitamin D and any other substances needed in order for the body to absorb the calcium in that milk.

First, other substance are not mentioned in stimulus.
And it might be possible that other substance activate vitamin D to absorb calcium.

C seems better choice.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 04 Jun 2010
Posts: 58
Location: India
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.22
Re: Physician: The rise in blood pressure that commonly accompanies aging  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2019, 03:03
manishcmu wrote:
A is the right answer if you treat it as a sufficient assumption question (which is what you should do as per the question stem). But this is definitely not the right answer for Necessary assumption. Will the argument break if active Vitamin D is not present in the milk and old people get Vitamin D from other food sources? No. Still some older people can lower their blood pressure. This answer choice is correct because it GUARANTEES that some older people can lower their blood pressure but it is definitely not REQUIRED by the argument. This is where difference between necessary and sufficient assumption comes in.




i agree. will option c be a necessary assumption??

thanks
roy
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 03 Mar 2017
Posts: 364
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Physician: The rise in blood pressure that commonly accompanies aging  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2019, 20:31
generis GMATNinja VeritasKarishma

Although i selected A as the answer , I would like to get clarity on option B.

Quote:
(B) Milk does not contain any substance that is likely to cause increased blood pressure in older people.


If we negate this option , it will become

Quote:
Milk DOES not contain any substance that is likely to cause increased blood pressure in older people.


If this is the case, drinking milk will increase blood pressure among the old people and will therefore hamper the argument.

What do you think??
_________________
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All the Gods, All the Heavens, and All the Hells lie within you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 03 Mar 2017
Posts: 364
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Physician: The rise in blood pressure that commonly accompanies aging  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2019, 20:14
warrior1991 wrote:
generis GMATNinja VeritasKarishma

Although i selected A as the answer , I would like to get clarity on option B.

Quote:
(B) Milk does not contain any substance that is likely to cause increased blood pressure in older people.


If we negate this option , it will become

Quote:
Milk DOES not contain any substance that is likely to cause increased blood pressure in older people.


If this is the case, drinking milk will increase blood pressure among the old people and will therefore hamper the argument.

What do you think??



Dear Experts,

Kindly help

generis GMATNinja VeritasKarishma
_________________
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All the Gods, All the Heavens, and All the Hells lie within you.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
D
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9625
Location: Pune, India
Re: Physician: The rise in blood pressure that commonly accompanies aging  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2019, 05:53
warrior1991 wrote:
generis GMATNinja VeritasKarishma

Although i selected A as the answer , I would like to get clarity on option B.

Quote:
(B) Milk does not contain any substance that is likely to cause increased blood pressure in older people.


If we negate this option , it will become

Quote:
Milk DOES not contain any substance that is likely to cause increased blood pressure in older people.


If this is the case, drinking milk will increase blood pressure among the old people and will therefore hamper the argument.

What do you think??


You can't use assumption negation technique here. Read the question stem again:
The physician’s conclusion is properly drawn if which one of the following is assumed?

We need to properly draw the conclusion. This means that we need an assumption which will be sufficient for the argument. Though in GMAT, assumption is defined as a missing necessary premise, in this LSAT question we are looking for a sufficient premise. We need something that will establish the conclusion. Option (A) along with the given premises helps establish the conclusion.
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 03 Mar 2017
Posts: 364
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Physician: The rise in blood pressure that commonly accompanies aging  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2019, 04:03
VeritasKarishma wrote:
warrior1991 wrote:
generis GMATNinja VeritasKarishma

Although i selected A as the answer , I would like to get clarity on option B.

Quote:
(B) Milk does not contain any substance that is likely to cause increased blood pressure in older people.


If we negate this option , it will become

Quote:
Milk DOES not contain any substance that is likely to cause increased blood pressure in older people.


If this is the case, drinking milk will increase blood pressure among the old people and will therefore hamper the argument.

What do you think??


You can't use assumption negation technique here. Read the question stem again:
The physician’s conclusion is properly drawn if which one of the following is assumed?

We need to properly draw the conclusion. This means that we need an assumption which will be sufficient for the argument. Though in GMAT, assumption is defined as a missing necessary premise, in this LSAT question we are looking for a sufficient premise. We need something that will establish the conclusion. Option (A) along with the given premises helps establish the conclusion.



VeritasKarishma

Thank you for explaining. So you mean to say that had it been a GMAT question, this option would be correct.
_________________
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All the Gods, All the Heavens, and All the Hells lie within you.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Nov 2018
Posts: 17
Location: United Arab Emirates
GPA: 2.6
Re: Physician: The rise in blood pressure that commonly accompanies aging  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2019, 05:58
VeritasKarishma is this question relevant to GMAT? There is some discussion that it isn't. Also if you could please provide an example of sufficient v necessary condition.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
D
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9625
Location: Pune, India
Physician: The rise in blood pressure that commonly accompanies aging  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2019, 22:21
1
warrior1991 wrote:

Thank you for explaining. So you mean to say that had it been a GMAT question, this option would be correct.



GMAT and LSAT questions are designed differently. The question stem and the options both would be given as per the test. If you are using LSAT questions to practice for GMAT, you need to understand the differences between the two tests, else it could lead to confusion.
As far as GMAT is concerned, an assumption is a missing necessary premise.
This LSAT question asks you for a sufficient assumption to draw the conclusion. Hence the point of "if this were a GMAT question" does not arise. It is an LSAT question.

ajalil86
Here is a post that talks about the necessary and sufficient statements:
https://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2012/1 ... onditions/
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 31 Jan 2019
Posts: 104
Location: Switzerland
Concentration: General Management
Schools: INSEAD
GPA: 3.9
CAT Tests
Re: Physician: The rise in blood pressure that commonly accompanies aging  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2019, 13:17
Hi,

I rejected option A because the passage says " This deficiency is frequently caused by a deficiency in the active form of vitamin D".

So for here I inferred that there are cases in which Calcium deficiency is caused by something else.

Now, since an assumption is a must be true statement when I negate option A I have a valid scenario in which milk does not contain vitamin D or other substances.

Can anyone shed light on this one?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Physician: The rise in blood pressure that commonly accompanies aging   [#permalink] 11 Sep 2019, 13:17
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Physician: The rise in blood pressure that commonly accompanies aging

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne