Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:08 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11667 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Very disappointed with my first exam. 590. What should I do? [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi MarissaP,

To start, what were your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on this Official GMAT?

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. If you can answer a few questions, then we should be able to figure this out:

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) You noted that you had retaken two of your CATs. On your other CATs, had you seen any of the questions BEFORE?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

I was so upset at seeing my score I did not take the time to memorize what my breakdown was. My best guess was Q40 V31. (based off what i think my percentiles were and magoosh's grid)

I literally did everything the same. The school that I am targeting does not require essay or IR, they only look at Q and V. I did not do either in any practice exam or on the official. I took all of my practice tests at home except for my last one (660) which I took in an office very similar to the real gmat experience.

I took the gmat at 3:30 pm, honestly I did a lot that day, but nothing very strenuous on the mind. I just tried to keep myself busy to calm nerves. I took all of my practice tests between 8-10 am.

On the CATS that I retook I had seen a few of the questions before, but going through I actually missed some of those, so i do not think it inflated my score terribly. And my Final 2 official practice tests were completely new to me.

I spent the last 15 weeks preparing for this exam, I am prepared to spend another 15. I will appreciate and consider any advice. Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[quote="Keats"]What was your breakup? Where did you feel that you faltered? Did you feel any anxiety issues when taking the test?

Yes I did. I felt very nervous all week. And only got 3-4 good hours of sleep the night before. (between my nerves and the baby crying) But when I was taking the test I literally felt like the math questions were harder than what I had practiced in the OG. ( i am able to to just about all of them). The I did have some problems focusing on the verbal section as the print on the screen was much larger than I was used to.

I think I got a Q40, and V31. But I was so upset I didn't take the time to remember, I just had them cancelled and walked out.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi MarissaP,

Test Day is a rather specific 'event' - the details are specific and they matter, so you have to train as best as you can for all of them. The more realistic you can make your CATs, the more likely the score results are to be accurate. The more you deviate, the more "inflated" your scores can become - and that's what happened here. By retaking CATs, taking the CATs at home, taking them at a different time of day (from when you took your Official GMAT), etc., you weren't properly training for the FULL GMAT 'experience.' In addition, the other factors you described (lack of sleep, nervousness) would have likely impacted your performance as well.

Thankfully, this is a relatively easy set of problems to fix. The big question now is "how long will it take you to properly get 'used to' taking the GMAT in a way that matches up with what you'll face on Test Day?" You'll certainly need a new set of practice CATs to work with and you have to put in the necessary time to train your brain (and body) for those same Test Day parameters. You might also need to invest in some new GMAT training materials. You won't necessarily need another 15 weeks to properly prepare; another 1-2 months of consistent, guided study would likely be enough to get you to your score goal.

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
3) How many hours do you think you can consistently study each week going forward?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Rich,

I am finishing up my senior year right now, and I will be applying to BYU whenever I'm ready. BYU requires minimum of two years of working experience, so I will apply now and asked to be considered for 2019, or just apply later. I can consistently study two hours a day going forward, maybe three.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi MarissaP,

Since you're not facing an immediate deadline, you can approach the next phase of your studies in a number of different ways. With your score goal, you don't have to correctly answer any questions that you think are too hard or too weird, but you have to really nail the 'gettable' questions. So, you could continue studying as you have been - with a greater emphasis on the 'reality' of Test Day and minimizing the little mistakes in your work. If you want to be a bit more efficient with your time though, you could invest in some new Course-related materials that place an emphasis on the Tactics, patterns and little 'secrets' of the GMAT (so that you won't have to try to discover them all on your own) and more directly target the areas that you need to improve on.

Based on everything that you’ve described, I think that you would find the EMPOWERgmat Total Score Booster to be quite helpful. Most of our clients complete that Study Plan in well under 2 months, so the time commitment wouldn't be that bad. We have a variety of free resources on our site (www.empowergmat.com), so you can 'test out' the Course before setting up an Account.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

Rich
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37312 posts