Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 09:44 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 09:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 104
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GPA: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [2]
Send PM
Re: Ask PSUtoPrivate [#permalink]
Kudos
AbhiR3 wrote:
Hello PSUtoPrivate

I am a mining engineer. This is my profile

X - 78.5 (state board)
XII - 93.5 (state board)
BTech - 82 (State govt college)
Worked for 3 years in a manufacturing company. Then went on to pursue MTech from IIT BHU Varanasi.
MTech - 9.15 CGPA - IIT BHU Varanasi
right after MTech, I started working for a Mining PSU.
I have a total exp of 7years (3yrs in mfg industry and 4yrs in core mining industry)

I have pretty decent PORs during my UG and PG.
UG -
1. OA incharge of Training and placement cell in the college
2. Main event organizer for a tech fest
3. Member alumni affairs
PG-
1. Departmental magazine editor -in- chief
2. Department Training and placement representative
3. appreciation letter from contributing to a project from the HOD

Work - I have been instrumental at my work during both my tenures at various companies.

Aiming for a GMAT score of 700+.. Currently targeting only Indian colleges like ISB n IIM..

post MBA goals - want to shift my career from mining to other sector/work as consultant in mining practice/ operations management/ or Gen management / strategy roles.

How realistic are my goals and how good is my profile ?

Thanks in advance

Hi AbhiR3,

Thanks for sharing your profile.

Every year, tens of candidates from mining PSU background successfully get admitted into Indian B schools and afterwards successfully land into operations/general management/consulting roles.

So your goals are realistic and achievable. In the current scenario of looming privatization, its an intelligent career choice as well.

Coming to your profile, your marks till under-graduations are good considering the state board. The work experience is a mix of private and public sector. The extra curricular seems good enough. So it has all the elements of getting succeeded in the admission process.

Of course the path to achieve that will not be so easy. Do target a 720+ score. Plan on your applications (essays, SOPs) well in advance. Also keep sufficient time to prepare for the last hurdle - interviews. There are few things that will require your main attention during application process - 1. Why masters for the second time? 2. What skill-sets will you bring from your mining experience?

Do register on our website for a free detailed discussion with a mentor regarding your preparation strategy and profile evaluation.

Hope the answer was helpful.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
Schools: ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
Send PM
Hi all,

I am currently working in a Oil PSU in Direct Sales (Dealing with customers directly) having 2.5 Years Exp + 1 year as apprentice in Oil Depot.

I am planning for ISB thru GMAT for a career change in next 6-12 months.

My academics are as follows:
1. 10th :-92%
2. 12th :- 82.8%
3. BE:- 65% State Private College

Zero Extra Circular.

Please review my Profile for ISB if i score around 710-720 in GMAT (yet to give)

Also how can I improve my profile like extra circular (like NGO works, etc will help or not in next 6 months) as my academics can't be changed.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
phoenix2194 wrote:
Hi all,

I am currently working in a Oil PSU in Direct Sales (Dealing with customers directly) having 2.5 Years Exp + 1 year as apprentice in Oil Depot.

I am planning for ISB thru GMAT for a career change in next 6-12 months.

My academics are as follows:
1. 10th :-92%
2. 12th :- 82.8%
3. BE:- 65% State Private College

Zero Extra Circular.

Please review my Profile for ISB if i score around 710-720 in GMAT (yet to give)

Also how can I improve my profile like extra circular (like NGO works, etc will help or not in next 6 months) as my academics can't be changed.

Posted from my mobile device

Hi phoenix2194,

Thanks for sharing your profile.

With the provided information, it seems marks and extra curricular will not help your case much in the admissions.
So the idea should be to identify things which you can improve as of now -
1) GMAT score - Aim even higher, 730-740 range. You will be in comfortable position with higher GMAT score, at any lower score, you will fall in risk zone as other aspects marks, extra curricular etc will not be able to help you. Although candidates qualify at even 680 GMAT in ISB, but then chances of converting reduce. So while you are preparing, aim high.
2) Your Essays and Interview - Your essays and interviews have about 60% of the total weight-age in admissions. You need to prepare very well for them.
3)Extra - Curricular - See what you can do, NGOs are the easiest thing to do, if they don't demand much engagement. Otherwise, putting a lot of effort in extra curricular at this stage where you need to prepare for GMAT along with hectic work in sales, doesn't make much practical sense.

Do prepare well, aim high. Every profile is unique, just you need to play on your strengths.

Hope it helped.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hi Team PSUtoPrivate

I am working in SJVN Limited, a Mini Ratna CPSU under GOI since 2014. I have experience of erection & commissioning of Solar & Wind Projects. Also had worked in Business Development for the RE projects wherein I had hands-on experience.

I did my BTECH from IP University way back in 2012 having aggregate 75%.
10th: 70%
12th: 75%

Just wanted to know that with GMAT score of 690 would I be able to have chances in IIM A, B, C or ISB. Also, suggest me in which foreign B schools should I have a chance to get admit.

Regards
PRATEEK SHARMA
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Send PM
PSU2014 wrote:
Hi Team PSUtoPrivate

I am working in SJVN Limited, a Mini Ratna CPSU under GOI since 2014. I have experience of erection & commissioning of Solar & Wind Projects. Also had worked in Business Development for the RE projects wherein I had hands-on experience.

I did my BTECH from IP University way back in 2012 having aggregate 75%.
10th: 70%
12th: 75%

Just wanted to know that with GMAT score of 690 would I be able to have chances in IIM A, B, C or ISB. Also, suggest me in which foreign B schools should I have a chance to get admit.

Regards
PRATEEK SHARMA

Hi PSU2014,

Thanks Prateek for sharing your profile. And kudos for a very creative profile name :)

Lets first talk about the importance of the GMAT score. GMAT score is only around 30% of the overall evaluation score considered by the colleges for the selection of the candidates.

So essentially, your application (SOPs, essays etc) and interview performance hold more weight in determining your chances of selection. With the provided information, yes, your chances of getting selected in IIM A, B, C or ISB is fair enough. But, your performance in application part and interview part needs to be above average to get admission on this GMAT score.

Profile wise, work experience in non renewable energy sector will add value to your application. Also your extra curricular will play an important role in enhancing your scores in application part. (Since you have not mentioned anything, we hope its average level)

As far as foreign colleges are concerned, we at PSUTOPRIVATE have discontinued our services for foreign colleges to focus on Indian colleges. So it wont be fair for us to detail that out.

Hope it was helpful.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
Ask PSUtoPrivate [#permalink]
Hi,

I am working at BPCL ops. Work ex 8.5 years. Have worked across several divisions such as logistics, maintenance and HSSE.

Undergrad - mechanical. Joined BPCL through GATE(AIR -174). Top Five of my class in college.
Have undertaken several projects of community service for which I was recognized by BPCL on their social handle.

GMAT 2023(dt Sep13) - 750(Q49/V42).

What are my chances for M7 especially HBS and GSB? Targeting for R2.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Deb.
GMAT Club Bot
Ask PSUtoPrivate [#permalink]
   1   2   3