Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64890 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Re: While the Eastern Whip-poor-will a nocturnal bird that feeds [#permalink]
Kudos
kindly explain why option 3 is incorrect
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64890 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
smita17.sp@gmail.com wrote:
kindly explain why option 3 is incorrect

While the Eastern Whip-poor-will -–a nocturnal bird that feeds mostly in the very early morning–- and the Common Nighthawk –-a nocturnal bird from the same family that, despite its name, feeds mostly during the morning and evening–- appear equal in size when sitting on a branch or in a nest; in the air, the Common Nighthawk appears much larger because of its greater wingspan.

Note the structure of the sentence:

While E and C appear equal in size when sitting on a branch; C appears much larger ...

So what we have here is a subordinate clause (starting with "While") and an independent clause. You cannot combine the two with a semi colon.
To use a semi colon, you must have two independent clauses.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 741
Send PM
Hello expert,

I understand that option 'e' is correct, but as this options has the usage of 'each other' and 'one another' , could you please explain the difference between "appear equal to one another" and "appear equal to each other" in context of this question.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
VKat wrote:
Hello expert,

I understand that option 'e' is correct, but as this options has the usage of 'each other' and 'one another' , could you please explain the difference between "appear equal to one another" and "appear equal to each other" in context of this question.

"Each other" and "one another" are interchangeable, though on this context they do not make sense. The phrase implies that bird A appears equal to bird B, and bird B appears equal to bird A.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 289
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.54
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
PiyushK wrote:
Although E conveys best meaning, E is not 100% correct. A prepositional phrase is placed between two clauses and such construction is technically ambiguous. phrase is eligible to modify any clause.

Subordinate clause, prepositional phrase, main clause.

While is a subordinate conjunction connecting a subordinate clause with the main clause.

While Sub Clause, Main Clause.

While the Eastern and the Common appear equal in size when they are seen on a branch or in a nest, in the air, the Common Nighthawk appears much larger because of its greater wingspan.

For more on conjunctions, check:
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2014/06 ... -the-gmat/

Hi Karishma,
Option E changes the meaning as it says that the birds appear equal in size when they are seen in branches or in nests, whereas the original sentence says that the birds appear equal in size when they are sitting(not seen) in branches or in nests. Please clarify
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64890 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
sunny91 wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
PiyushK wrote:
Although E conveys best meaning, E is not 100% correct. A prepositional phrase is placed between two clauses and such construction is technically ambiguous. phrase is eligible to modify any clause.

Subordinate clause, prepositional phrase, main clause.

While is a subordinate conjunction connecting a subordinate clause with the main clause.

While Sub Clause, Main Clause.

While the Eastern and the Common appear equal in size when they are seen on a branch or in a nest, in the air, the Common Nighthawk appears much larger because of its greater wingspan.

For more on conjunctions, check:
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2014/06 ... -the-gmat/

Hi Karishma,
Option E changes the meaning as it says that the birds appear equal in size when they are seen in branches or in nests, whereas the original sentence says that the birds appear equal in size when they are sitting(not seen) in branches or in nests. Please clarify

These are just two different ways of saying the same thing. There is no right or wrong meaning, no original or changed meaning. There is nothing that says that option (A) gives the original meaning. When we say error of "accuracy in meaning", we mean that it should be logical. It should not become senseless.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 237
Send PM
daagh wrote:
Staybish
I understand; you are welcome

Hi daagh, can you please explain why a semicolon in option C is wrong.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Superg8 The key to your question is that the sentence starts with "while." That "while" creates a dependent clause that needs to be completed with the clause at the end: "the nighthawk appears much larger." We can only use a semicolon if we have two independent clauses.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2162 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
There are 3 key issues going on:
1. Appear equal... WHEN [condition] - the meaning is that the generally appear equal in size, but in one circumstance, in the air, they don't. In most of the answer choices, the sentence is composed as "appear equal in size when sitting on a branch or.." as opposed to the correct answer, E, which says they appear equal when they viewed in a specific environment, not enacting a specific movement such as sitting on a branch.
Second, I actually thought "appear equal...to each other" was redundant as "appear equal" generally implies between the two items in question.

2. The first clause is dependent, so the second clause must be independent.

C can be eliminated as we require an independent clause on either side of a semi-colon and C's structure is <dependent clause> + [semicolon] + <independent clause>

3. Due to Vs because of

A. appear equal in size to each other when sitting on a branch or in a nest, in the air, the Common Nighthawk appears much larger due to its greater wingspan.
B. appear equal in size to one another when sitting on a branch or in a nest, in the air, the Common Nighthawk appears much larger due to its greater wingspan.
C. appear equal in size when sitting on a branch or in a nest; in the air, the Common Nighthawk appears much larger because of its greater wingspan.
D. appear equal in size to each other when they are sitting on a branch or in a nest, in the air, the Common Nighthawk appears much larger because of its greater wingspan
E. appear equal in size when they are seen on a branch or in a nest, in the air, the Common Nighthawk appears much larger because of its greater wingspan.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 477
Send PM
MentorTutoring

Can you pls explain me more about when we should be using "because of" and when "due to"

Thanks in advance!
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
GDT wrote:
MentorTutoring

Can you pls explain me more about when we should be using "because of" and when "due to"

Thanks in advance!

Hello, GDT. In general, I use a quick caused by test: if I could insert that phrase in place of due to, then due to is correct; if not, then because of is necessary instead. Some examples to illustrate the point:

1) The damage was due to the hurricane. (CORRECT - try to replace with caused by.)

2) Due to the hurricane, the house flooded. (INCORRECT - The main clause is saying that the house flooded because of the hurricane.)

Although I do not like getting overly grammatical in my approach to SC, you will notice above that due to modifies nouns--the damage in sentence 1 above--while because of modifies verbs--flooded in sentence 2. That is not too complicated or overwrought to remember.

If you want more practice, you might want to try the practice problems at the end of this e-GMAT article that I just pulled up on the matter.

Happy studies.

- Andrew
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 896
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36 (Online)
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
While the Eastern Whip-poor-will a nocturnal bird that feeds [#permalink]
I am convinced here with the explanations that E is the best of the lot, but I have question on a minor detail here.
In option E -> appear and when they are seen - are they not redundant here ? This doubt made me eliminate E here, else I was fine with it.
Just for a better understanding, wouldn't it be better had the sentence been something like appear equal in size when on a branch or in a nest, in the air, the Common Nighthawk appears much larger because of its greater wingspan. Please correct me if I am wrong here !!!
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Gokul20 I see your point, but the two words do get put to somewhat different purposes here. "When they are seen" describes the condition under which we are looking at the birds, while "appear" describes how the birds look to use. Similarly, we might say something like "When seen from below by a shark, a surfer can appear to be a seal."
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 896
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36 (Online)
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Quote:
While the Eastern Whip-poor-will – a nocturnal bird that feeds mostly in the very early morning – and the Common Nighthawk – a nocturnal bird from the same family that, despite its name, feeds mostly during the morning and evening– appear equal in size to each other when sitting on a branch or in a nest, in the air, the Common Nighthawk appears much larger due to its greater wingspan.

A. appear equal in size to each other when sitting on a branch or in a nest, in the air, the Common Nighthawk appears much larger due to its greater wingspan.

B. appear equal in size to one another when sitting on a branch or in a nest, in the air, the Common Nighthawk appears much larger due to its greater wingspan.

C. appear equal in size when sitting on a branch or in a nest; in the air, the Common Nighthawk appears much larger because of its greater wingspan.

D. appear equal in size to each other when they are sitting on a branch or in a nest, in the air, the Common Nighthawk appears much larger because of its greater wingspan

E. appear equal in size when they are seen on a branch or in a nest, in the air, the Common Nighthawk appears much larger because of its greater wingspan.

Between C and E, is 'when sitting' the only reason for eliminating C or there is also something to do with the semi-colon preceding in the air ? I just want to know whether in the air, the Common Nighthawk appears much larger due to its greater wingspan qualifies as independent clause or not ?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Gokul20 wrote:
Between C and E, is 'when sitting' the only reason for eliminating C or there is also something to do with the semi-colon preceding in the air ? I just want to know whether in the air, the Common Nighthawk appears much larger due to its greater wingspan qualifies as independent clause or not ?

Hi Gokul, semicolon in option C is a big no-no.

Semicolon is generally used to connect two Independent clauses; however, while.....in a nest is a dependent clause.

Let's take a simpler example. Which one of the following would you select:

(i) While Peter is working hard, he is not very hopeful of good results.

Or

(ii) While Peter is working hard; he is not very hopeful of good results.

Hope it is evident that the semicolon in (ii) just looks completely out of place! The reason again being that semicolon is generally used to connect two Independent clauses; however, while.....hard is a dependent clause.

You can watch our video on Independent and Dependent Clauses.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses types of clauses, their application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Send PM
EducationAisle, could you please explain to me the difference between an Independant and a Dependant clause?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Sakshi, as mentioned in my post above, you can watch our video on Independent and Dependent Clauses.

Additionally, our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses types of clauses, their application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts