It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 06:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

With the patience of its customers and with its network strained to th

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Top Contributor
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
B

Kudos [?]: 3069 [2], given: 220

Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)
With the patience of its customers and with its network strained to th [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2017, 10:44
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

55% (01:30) correct 45% (01:33) wrong based on 1276 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Official Guide for GMAT Review 2018
Practice Question
Sentence Correction
Question No.: 782

With the patience of its customers and with its network strained to the breaking point, the on-line service company announced a series of new initiatives trying to relieve the congestion that has led to at least four class-action lawsuits and thousands of complaints from frustrated customers.

(A) the patience of its customers and with its network strained to the breaking point, the on-line service company announced a series of new initiatives trying to relieve

(B) the patience of its customers and its network strained to the breaking point, the on-line service company announced a series of new initiatives that try to relieve

(C) its network and the patience of its customers strained to the breaking point, the on-line service company announced a series of new initiatives to try to relieve

(D) its network and with the patience of its customers strained to the breaking point, the on-line service company announced a series of initiatives to try relieving

(E) its network and its customers’ patience strained to the breaking point, the on-line service company announced a series of new initiatives to try relieving
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Kudos [?]: 3069 [2], given: 220

Expert Post
12 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8999 [12], given: 113

Re: With the patience of its customers and with its network strained to th [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2017, 15:14
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
AbdurRakib wrote:
With the patience of its customers and with its network strained to the breaking point, the on-line service company announced a series of new initiatives trying to relieve the congestion that has led to at least four class-action lawsuits and thousands of complaints from frustrated customers.

A. the patience of its customers and with its network strained to the breaking point, the on-line service company announced a series of new initiatives trying to relieve
B. the patience of its customers and its network strained to the breaking point, the on-line service company announced a series of new initiatives that try to relieve
C. its network and the patience of its customers strained to the breaking point, the on-line service company announced a series of new initiatives to try to relieve
D. its network and with the patience of its customers strained to the breaking point, the on-line service company announced a series of initiatives to try relieving
E. its network and its customers’ patience strained to the breaking point, the on-line service company announced a series of new initiatives to try relieving

Dear AbdurRakib

I'm happy to respond. :-)

I began focusing on the split at the end. The verb "try" most naturally takes the infinitive; "try" + [gerund] sounds casual. Also, the infinitive of purpose sounds more natural than a participle or a "that" clause. Therefore, (C) seems like the best choice.

Also, notice that we don't have to repeat the word "with," so (A) & (D) are out.

The phrase "its customers’ patience" in (E) is very awkward.

Rhetorically, when we have a preposition and then two elements, one long and one short, it often makes more sense to have the shorter one first so that we can see the relationship that both elements have to the preposition. Thus:
With its network and the patience of its customers = more preferable
With the patience of its customers and its network = less preferable

All of these work together to make (C) the best answer.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8999 [12], given: 113

3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 29 [3], given: 238

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: With the patience of its customers and with its network strained to th [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2017, 01:16
This post received
KUDOS

A. the patience of its customers and with its network strained to the breaking point, the on-line service company announced a series of new initiatives trying to relieve

B. the patience of its customers and its network strained to the breaking point, the on-line service company announced a series of new initiatives that try to relieve

C. its network and the patience of its customers strained to the breaking point, the on-line service company announced a series of new initiatives to try to relieve
--> correct.

D. its network and with the patience of its customers strained to the breaking point, the on-line service company announced a series of initiatives to try relieving

E. its network and its customers’ patience strained to the breaking point, the on-line service company announced a series of new initiatives to try relieving

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Kudos [?]: 29 [3], given: 238

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 1217

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V29
GPA: 4
WE: Business Development (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 08:14
Can anyone explain what is wrong in B

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 1217

3 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
D

Kudos [?]: 977 [3], given: 71

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 08:23
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
somtsat99 wrote:
Can anyone explain what is wrong in B

Posted from my mobile device

Hi somtsat99 ,

B has two probelms :

1. "the patience of its customers and its network strained to the breaking point". It is trying to convey the meaning with the patience of a) its customers b) its network. This is illogical meaning. There is not patience of its network.

2. "the on-line service company announced a series of new initiatives that try to relieve". Look at the word 'that'. It means initiatives were trying to relieve something. Hence, again Illogical.

I hope it makes sense. :)

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Kudos [?]: 977 [3], given: 71

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 573

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 22:09
Imo C
Customers patience and its network were strained to the breaking point .
A and B are wrong because of the placement of with.
A and B suggest the customers patience was tested because of the network but still this idea is also not completed in A and B.
D and E the gerund at the end is not proper .

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 573

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8358 [1], given: 366

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2017, 01:35
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
A brainstorm

The preposition 'with' is not underlined. From A to E, the modified noun namely -the on-line service company- is supposed to have announced something jointly with its network and the patience of its customers. In other words, what are the role of the network and the patience of the customers in the company announcing some plans? I feel that the company together with the network and the patience did not jointly announce the new plans, an altogether pointless perception.

Wouldn't be the use of a subordinate clause using the conjunction 'as" have been better to elucidate the intent better than the with as the modifier?

The amended theme: As the patience of its customers and its network got strained to the breaking point, the on-line service company announced a series of new initiatives

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8358 [1], given: 366

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 43

GMAT 1: 550 Q46 V20
GMAT 2: 550 Q46 V20
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2017, 23:38
Can someone explain all the answers please?

Thanks in advance

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 43

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8999 [3], given: 113

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2017, 09:05
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
leshwarnag wrote:
Can someone explain all the answers please?

Thanks in advance

Dear leshwarnag,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, because I care about your learning, I am going to chide you. This is not a very good question that you have asked. Think about it. How much thought and time and effort did it take you to write this question? You might have written it and posted it in, say, 30 seconds. There are a few problems with this question. First of all, how is an expert such as myself supposed to know what you understand or don't understand? More importantly, it doesn't demonstrate a tremendous amount of commitment to yourself. You are expecting almost all the energy & effort that will contribute to your learning about this to come from outside of you. Many students have the dangerous misconception that education is something that teachers & schools & test prep experts DO to them: in this benighted view, the teachers & instructors are the actors and the students are just the passive recipients. In fact, this is completely the opposite of the truth. Your education is 100% your responsibility: it is something you do to yourself, for yourself, by yourself, with the help and support of teachers & experts.

My friend, I am very ambitious for you. I want to see you pursue excellent. One of the habits of excellence is the art of asking excellent questions. See:
Asking Excellent Questions

I am going to challenge you. Come back to this page, and read carefully through my post above and every other post on this page, and then explain in great detail exactly what you understand and what you don't understand. Doing so will make it easier for an expert to answer you, but much more important, you deepen your own understanding when you thoughtfully evaluate what you comprehend and what is still fuzzy for you, and this pre-work prompts your mind to integrate a response at a deeper level. Finally, when you are practicing the art of asking excellence questions, you are also practicing self-responsibility, and few characters traits will win you recognition & promotions in your career as genuine self-responsibility will. The pay-off of the art of asking excellent questions is absolutely huge and very easy for unambitious students to underestimate.

Ask the best question you can ask, and I will be happy to answer it.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8999 [3], given: 113

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 620 Q47 V28
GPA: 3.2
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 23:52
would appreciate response from egmat

apart from the issue of try,trying..is there any issue in the first clause i.e "with the patience......breaking point".I get confused badly with the question starting with " with".As per my understanding "with" is used to convey "with the help of something" whereas here " with" is used to show the reason.Secondly "strained" is modifying noun or noun phrase?What is the noun phrase here.Pls clear the doubts

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 98

Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2017, 07:12
AbdurRakib wrote:
Practice Question
Sentence Correction

A - the second 'with' is redundant. One 'with' would suffice. Out.
B - 'the patience of it's customers and its network' -> Illogical Meaning + 'that' modifying initiatives which is also illogical. Out.
C - No Issues. Keep.
D - Same as A + Unnecessary Verb+ing modifier which essentially means they haven't been able to relieve the congestion yet. Out.
E - its customers' patience is awkward + Verb+ing modifier is again unnecessary. Out.

C is the answer.

Put in the work, and that dream score is yours!

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 98

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2017, 04:41
In OG, it explained for (A) "The phrase trying to relieve is probably meant to explain the purpose of the initiatives , but does not do so unambiguously.(for example, trying could modify either the company or initiatives , and it is not clear which is intended)."
I think it's a totally wrong explanation, the rear half of the option A could be "the on-line service company announced a series of new initiatives, trying to relieve...". "-ing" modifies the main clause of the sentence, and it can connect directly to the subject of the sentence, so should have zero problem.
I'm I correct?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 304

Schools: LBS '18

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2017, 01:05
daagh wrote:
A brainstorm

The preposition 'with' is not underlined. From A to E, the modified noun namely -the on-line service company- is supposed to have announced something jointly with its network and the patience of its customers. In other words, what are the role of the network and the patience of the customers in the company announcing some plans? I feel that the company together with the network and the patience did not jointly announce the new plans, an altogether pointless perception.

Wouldn't be the use of a subordinate clause using the conjunction 'as" have been better to elucidate the intent better than the with as the modifier?

The amended theme: As the patience of its customers and its network got strained to the breaking point, the on-line service company announced a series of new initiatives

daagh when i read your amended sentence it seems as the patience of customers andpatience of network
both got strained to the breaking point

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 304

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 429

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2017, 07:41
noun+ to do
is a idiom we should know. not all noun can appear in this pattern. if we know this pattern, we can see that all other choice except c is correct.

in grammar book, the pattern is explained.

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 429

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2017, 09:48
AbdurRakib wrote:
Practice Question
Sentence Correction

(A) the patience of its customers and with its network strained to the breaking point, the on-line service company announced a series of new initiatives trying to relieve

(B) the patience of its customers and its network strained to the breaking point, the on-line service company announced a series of new initiatives that try to relieve

(C) its network and the patience of its customers strained to the breaking point, the on-line service company announced a series of new initiatives to try to relieve

(D) its network and with the patience of its customers strained to the breaking point, the on-line service company announced a series of initiatives to try relieving

(E) its network and its customers’ patience strained to the breaking point, the on-line service company announced a series of new initiatives to try relieving

Good question- Why not D. Just because infinitive is followed by gerund ??
Even if it is followed, then what is the rule..Please throw some strong light on C vs D

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2017, 09:49
tanmeetbhatia wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:
Practice Question
Sentence Correction

Even if it is followed, then what is the rule..Please throw some strong light on C vs D

daagh --Your attention is required........

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 34

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2017, 01:18
Hi,

I wanted to get some advice on option D...
It is not a mandatory rule that WITH must not be repeated. Since I think if the parallelism is grammatically and logically clear then there is no issue...and here

With its network and with the patience of its customers strained to the breaking point, OR

With its network and the patience of its customers strained to the breaking point SHOULD be both correct...
M i right on this??

However the other difference in the Correct ans and option D is
to try relieving VS to try to relieve

Now can anyone pls provide some reasons OTHER than ANY GRAMMATICAL RULE why I should go for to try to relieve and NOT to try relieving

Regards
S

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 34

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

With the patience of its customers and with its network strained to th [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2017, 05:22
tanmeetbhatia wrote:

In D

1- "with" is redundant.
2- "new" is missing, which changes the meaning.
3- "try relieving" and "try to relieve" differ in meaning. https://www.englishforums.com/English/T ... r/post.htm

Seize the day.

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 573

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2017, 07:06
Hi Mike,

I have one question. Preposition + noun + participle is not preferred in GMAT as too much of action jammed into single modifier.

But each option for this question has this "Preposition + noun + participle" - "With the patience of its customers and with its network strained to the breaking point" modifier - is this correct?

Please help.

Thanks

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 573

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 17

GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 2.98

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2017, 11:57
hellosanthosh2k2 wrote:
Hi Mike,

I have one question. Preposition + noun + participle is not preferred in GMAT as too much of action jammed into single modifier.

But each option for this question has this "Preposition + noun + participle" - "With the patience of its customers and with its network strained to the breaking point" modifier - is this correct?

Please help.

Thanks

Hi Mike
In your article written about the usage of above-mentioned sort of construction(With + Noun +Participle)the link for which I've shared, You've described 02 cases when these constructions would work. Link: https://magoosh.com/gmat/2015/with-noun ... orrection/
i Case I: action by a different agent, where "With + Noun +Participle" is always wrong as per the article.
II Case II: additional description: where the " With + Noun +Participle" phrase makes sense with the subject of the sentence and provides an additional description about it and the usage is correct.

However, I fail to see the usage of "With + Noun +Participle" in the problem of this thread falling into any of these categories. Kindly explain how the expression " With + Noun +Participle " makse sense with the clause here.
Thanks

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 17

Re: With the patience of its customers and with its network strained to th   [#permalink] 29 Oct 2017, 11:57

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 21 posts ] 

With the patience of its customers and with its network strained to th

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap