Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:44 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 394 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
GMAT 1: 730 Q52 V37
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
Kudos
farful wrote:
Do you guys mind if you shared on this thread why you chose Yale over other schools? During my visit to Yale SOM, the students I talked to were unhelpful... "Yale was the only school I applied to", "Yale is the only school I got into", "I was already in the MPH/Forestry program, so Yale SOM", etc.

For machichi, why Yale over Kellogg?
For ohdenny, why Yale over Fuqua/Ross?
I guess aerien is off the hook. :)

Thanks!
Obviously I didn’t go to Yale. Couldn’t get in even if I wanted to ;)

In answering the “why XXX school” questions, I challenge you to make the answer personal. Understanding someone else’s response is helpful, but that enthusiasm in your tone will give you away if the response is copied. For example, I often hear candidates talk about “Team Fuqua” as why they want to attend Fuqua. I find that response a bit insincere. A better response would be to tell a story of your interaction with a student/alum that caused you to have that feeling, and an example from your past experience when you have done the same for others.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 640 Q38 V39
GPA: 3.31
WE:Human Resources (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
farful wrote:
machichi wrote:
For those of you interested in talking about your decision, please don't hesitate to PM me (or ohdenny/aerien for that matter!). We are happy to talk through the decision-making process. Between the 3 of us we've chosen from pretty much every school you can think of - which is not to say we'll talk you into Yale (we know it's not right for everyone!), but rather that we have insight into the choice process and in particular the relative strengths of many schools.

Do you guys mind if you shared on this thread why you chose Yale over other schools? During my visit to Yale SOM, the students I talked to were unhelpful... "Yale was the only school I applied to", "Yale is the only school I got into", "I was already in the MPH/Forestry program, so Yale SOM", etc.

Thanks!

Yes, I would love to hear this too!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
speedyb09 wrote:
farful wrote:

Thanks!

My blog posts are a good starting point, in particular this one.

A lot had to do with fit for me. I just really felt right when at Yale. I connected with the people more in all aspects. They were the kind of people whose career histories interested me and whose career goals felt authentic and meaningful; it was easy to imagine having a drink with them, going bowling, or stuffing our faces with ice-cream. For these reasons, among many others, I had no trouble imagining myself here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
speedyb09 wrote:
farful wrote:
machichi wrote:
For those of you interested in talking about your decision, please don't hesitate to PM me (or ohdenny/aerien for that matter!). We are happy to talk through the decision-making process. Between the 3 of us we've chosen from pretty much every school you can think of - which is not to say we'll talk you into Yale (we know it's not right for everyone!), but rather that we have insight into the choice process and in particular the relative strengths of many schools.

Thanks!

First of all, sorry that I'm late to the party, but I saw some classmates' Facebook posts so I thought I'd wander back and say Congratulations to all the 2016 admits!

I chose Yale for 2 reasons:
1) Compared to other programs, I found that Yale SOM students were much nicer and willing to go out of their way to help you answer a question about the program.
2) I see in the next 20 years, business is going to be much more about globalization. Yale has a much stronger name globally than the other schools I was admitted to, and there's actually a large focus on the global product. 30% of Class of 2015 is international, so forming bonds with those classmates is going to pay off in the future when I need to conduct business in their country.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Flyte wrote:
Any relatively low GPA admits yet? I have 3.0 (though a 730 GMAT) and getting a little concerned seeing some of these numbers!

I have a 3.14 GPA and 710 GMAT, you shouldn't be concerned!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.62
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
farful wrote:

Thanks!

Machichi kind of stole my response, but I will echo that SOM felt like the place that I could most clearly see myself becoming the leader I'd envisioned. That sounds a little cheesy and maybe just the slightest bit douchey, but it was a really personal and very hard choice. (My partner lives in the Triangle, and I have a few very good friends at Ross/Michigan Law.) One of the main reasons I was going to school was to broaden and deepen my network, and in order to do both I had to attend a school with a very diverse set of folks (careers-wise) and with folks who I felt I could make a connection with. 3 months in, SOM had definitely delivered on that part - I knew 100% of my classmates, and about 40% of the 2nd Years. Not just 'knew' as in I knew their faces and names, but 'knew' as in I'd had substantive conversations with them and knew where they were coming from and where they wanted to go. This year is even better - I can say that I know about 90% of the 1st Years so far, and that I am every bit as impressed by them and honored to be in their company as I am with my own classmates.

Hope this is helpful.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.62
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Quick reminder that student-led Winter Socials are being held all over the world and that registration is open. Some have already reached capacity, but wait lists are still open. Great opportunity to talk to current students about their experiences at SOM. Also - there will be 4-5 more added this week.

https://som.yale.edu/winter-socials-2013-2014
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Sustainability
GRE 1: Q164 V160
GPA: 3.09
WE:Marketing (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Flyte wrote:
Any relatively low GPA admits yet? I have 3.0 (though a 730 GMAT) and getting a little concerned seeing some of these numbers!

My GPA was only a 3.09 but my concentration was in the hard sciences so it's typically given more leniency (so I've heard...) I'm not sure how much I believe that Yale focuses on candidates with high GPA and GMAT scores, I took the GRE but based on the ETS conversion chart my GMAT was a 680. Not bad, but not incredibly strong.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
elisej09 wrote:
Flyte wrote:

My GPA was only a 3.09 but my concentration was in the hard sciences so it's typically given more leniency (so I've heard...) I'm not sure how much I believe that Yale focuses on candidates with high GPA and GMAT scores, I took the GRE but based on the ETS conversion chart my GMAT was a 680. Not bad, but not incredibly strong.

One more thing schools look at is the quality of your undergraduate institution. So, adcom will be more lenient with an applicant who has a 3.1 from Top15 institution than with an applicant who has a 3.3 from a Tier 2 school.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 119 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.81
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Is anyone planning to go to the winter social at Los angeles on Dec 19th? I want to attend but the registration closed today :( Any idea whom to contact?
Board of Directors
Send PM
Expert Reply
su05 wrote:
Is anyone planning to go to the winter social at Los angeles on Dec 19th? I want to attend but the registration closed today :( Any idea whom to contact?

Check your inbox!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 119 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.81
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Thank you Aerien.
Received an email from admissions today. In case anyone else wants to attend ---- The Los Angeles registration has been re-opened till 5PM today (they did not tell the timezone..I am guessing EST)...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [3]
Given Kudos: 59
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Supply Chain Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
OhDenny wrote:
Quick reminder that student-led Winter Socials are being held all over the world and that registration is open. Some have already reached capacity, but wait lists are still open. Great opportunity to talk to current students about their experiences at SOM. Also - there will be 4-5 more added this week.

This one was so helpful! I met a silver scholar in Mountain View a couple of days ago. Gained a lot of insight.

All you guys who provide us information about Yale MBA program - you are all so awesome! I have been speaking to ambassadors from so many other schools, but nobody really goes beyond what is asked for. You guys are so friendly and share so much information and it all sounds so genuine. I really hope I am one of those lucky ones who gets to be part of Yale community. Applying in R2
Board of Directors
Send PM
Expert Reply
su05 wrote:
Thank you Aerien.
Received an email from admissions today. In case anyone else wants to attend ---- The Los Angeles registration has been re-opened till 5PM today (they did not tell the timezone..I am guessing EST)...

Also, any last minute additions for the Irvine one tonight, PM me too.

If you haven't signed up yet for a Winter Social, please do. There are a bunch of additions in January!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
So happy to be in! Now I need to decide between two awesome schools (Kellogg and Yale) -- any insights and opinions appreciated:
kellogg-vs-yale-som-164700.html
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 394 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
GMAT 1: 730 Q52 V37
Send PM
aerien, no Winter Socials in New Haven??

speedyb09, I don't know much about two bschools themselves, but I can offer some insight into both Evanston and New Haven. First off, as you mentioned, airports are a pain in New Haven. No one ever really uses Tweed (New Haven Airport) and most use Hartford or Laguardia/JFK. Convenient public transportation to those locations are pretty non-existent as well, and most use airport limousine shuttles. That said, Northwestern isn't really better off in terms of airport...

They both have access with relative ease to the city. MetroNorth/Amtrak can take you into NYC (and beyond) and the Purple Line can take you into Chicago with ease.

Evanston as a whole is a nicer, suburbier town (so many churches!). Rent is also probably a tad more expensive (but cheaper as you get away from campus). New Haven has a tiny Yale section in the middle of the city, with a not-so-great area surrounding it. That said, you probably will never have a reason to go beyond Yale's campus in New Haven. You can find a 2 bedroom in East Rock for say $1300, and plenty of dog friendly houses. Also there are parks near by (East Rock and there's a dog park on St. Ronan - awesome place to sled in the winter).

Weather is comparable in my opinion. Winters and summers are both terrible in both cities. The body of water by Northwestern (Lake Michigan) is way nicer than the Atlantic by New Haven...

But you should probably choose more based on the bschools themselves than the locations :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
farful wrote:
aerien, no Winter Socials in New Haven??

speedyb09, I don't know much about two bschools themselves, but I can offer some insight into both Evanston and New Haven. First off, as you mentioned, airports are a pain in New Haven. No one ever really uses Tweed (New Haven Airport) and most use Hartford or Laguardia/JFK. Convenient public transportation to those locations are pretty non-existent as well, and most use airport limousine shuttles. That said, Northwestern isn't really better off in terms of airport...

They both have access with relative ease to the city. MetroNorth/Amtrak can take you into NYC (and beyond) and the Purple Line can take you into Chicago with ease.

Evanston as a whole is a nicer, suburbier town (so many churches!). Rent is also probably a tad more expensive (but cheaper as you get away from campus). New Haven has a tiny Yale section in the middle of the city, with a not-so-great area surrounding it. That said, you probably will never have a reason to go beyond Yale's campus in New Haven. You can find a 2 bedroom in East Rock for say $1300, and plenty of dog friendly houses. Also there are parks near by (East Rock and there's a dog park on St. Ronan - awesome place to sled in the winter).

Weather is comparable in my opinion. Winters and summers are both terrible in both cities. The body of water by Northwestern (Lake Michigan) is way nicer than the Atlantic by New Haven...

But you should probably choose more based on the bschools themselves than the locations :)

Hey, this is great information, so thank you!

I believe we were supposed to get some sort of welcome packet in the mail (or maybe I am assuming this) -- has anyone received one? I have been stalking my mailbox like a hawk and now it is the holidays...
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  24   25   26   27   28   29   30  ...  50   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts