Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:27 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [0]
Given Kudos: 179
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1922 [1]
Given Kudos: 628
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22062 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Your one advice could help me. Poor Gmat scores. [#permalink]
Hey scott.
Yes you had responded to me and I must say that your advice really helped me to come this far. I have followed your tips and developed my understanding. Thanks alot.

1) I am facing the issue that for the last 10 questions, I end up having 10 12 mins only.
2) Also I want to know that how should I divide my perday study hours? I dedicate 4hours daily.
3) my scores are not consistent too. I am not able to figure out the reason behind this.

Thanks in advance.

ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi Prasannathawait,

Back in January, you reached out for advice regarding your GMAT prep, and I responded to that post here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/struggling-w ... l#p2212681

I mentioned following a linear and structured study plan that allows you to individually learn each GMAT quant and verbal topic, and then practice each topic until you've gained mastery. Have you been able to study in that way?

Posted from my mobile device
Own Kudos [?]: 22062 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Prasannathawait,

Thank you for reaching back out. To answer your first question, if you are still struggling with timing, that is a sign that you have some knowledge gaps that must be addressed. After all, if you know GMAT quant and verbal like the back of your hand, you’ll be able to quickly and efficiently attack each question that you see, right? Thus, work on your quant and verbal skills, and speed should follow.

Regarding your study time, since you are studying for 4 hours per day, you should split your time between quant and verbal, so 2 hours of quant and then 2 hours of verbal.

If you have any further questions, feel free to reach out.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
HI Scott.
Thanks for the advice. I'll do as you say.

While doing problems I will thoroughly analyze the mistakes too.

I am thinking to practice only the 700+ level questions of each section. Is it a good idea, or I should focus on sub 700 level questions first?

Thanks

ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi Prasannathawait,

Thank you for reaching back out. To answer your first question, if you are still struggling with timing, that is a sign that you have some knowledge gaps that must be addressed. After all, if you know GMAT quant and verbal like the back of your hand, you’ll be able to quickly and efficiently attack each question that you see, right? Thus, work on your quant and verbal skills, and speed should follow.

Regarding your study time, since you are studying for 4 hours per day, you should split your time between quant and verbal, so 2 hours of quant and then 2 hours of verbal.

If you have any further questions, feel free to reach out.
Own Kudos [?]: 22062 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Prasannathawait wrote:
HI Scott.
Thanks for the advice. I'll do as you say.

While doing problems I will thoroughly analyze the mistakes too.

I am thinking to practice only the 700+ level questions of each section. Is it a good idea, or I should focus on sub 700 level questions first?

Thanks

I think you should focus on questions from all levels.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi! In the mocks, while your verbal scores are quite consistent (with V34 being an outlier), your Quant score show significant variation (from Q37 to Q48).

This volatility is a cause of concern as well that you might want to address during your prep.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks for the reply. It will help. :please

EducationAisle wrote:
Hi! In the mocks, while your verbal scores are quite consistent (with V34 being an outlier), your Quant score show significant variation (from Q37 to Q48).

This volatility is a cause of concern as well that you might want to address during your prep.
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16600 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hello Prasannathawait,

Before we suggest best and proven methods to reach a target score, Let us first talk about the positive points.

You are dedicated and determine aspirant. As you stated, you have practiced almost 300 + hours and took multiple mock tests. Also, the results which you have shared shows significant improvement in Quant. Talking about verbal results, they are pretty consistent and less. But, your hard work will never go in vain.

GMAT is not as easy as we assume. GMAT math is logic, and verbal is a real language test of an individual. You need to make sure that you get any possible combination to achieve your target score of 720+. GMAT 720+ is 94 percentile and above. V37/Q50 V39/Q49, V43/Q45 are some possible combinations.

First thing first, keep your concepts intact. Have a newly revised study plan for yourself. You are no longer a beginner. So, learn and re-learn is the best methodology you need to apply. Take our free diagnostic test https://www.mathrevolution.com. Also, check our free trial pack and video lesson.

Apart from this, what exactly you need is :

1. A unique, alternative approaches to solve quant questions in a short period, thus saving the time of yours and increase accuracy and finally the score.
2. Up-To-Date questions that meet GMAT exam trends. You don’t need to waste your time on outdated questions here and there/
3. An expert to resolve your queries related to Quant sections individually.

Suggestions for other questions

Also, I want to know that how should I divide my perday study hours? I dedicate 4hours daily.

You should divide your 4hours study, according to sections. We will recommend that for the first hour you should learn the Quant concept and practice questions based on the same. After some time, spend 1 hour on Critical Reasoning. Once you complete it the next 1 hour should be invested in advance level question on already learned the concept of Quant and last 1 hour you should invest in Reading Comprehension.

My scores are not consistent too. I am not able to figure out the reason behind this.
You need a diagnostic test tool to track your performance in every test that you take. Every GMAT aspirant needs a diagnostic tool which helps them to track the performance section-wise every time.

Please let us know if you have further questions.
You can reach us at info@mathrevolution.com.
Success is within your reach.
Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks for your reply.
You said learn and re-learn is the best methodology you need to apply. Does that mean revising the concepts?

Right now daily I am practicing 10 official questions from each of the four sections and two RC passages.
The questions are all 700 level filtered so that I can improve on that type.
Is this the right strategy?

Also, I would like to add one more information that every time when I give the mock test, I am left with 10 questions and 10 mins in hand in both the sections. This makes me nervous and almost all the 10 questions go wrong.
What should I do for that?

MathRevolution wrote:
Hello Prasannathawait,

Before we suggest best and proven methods to reach a target score, Let us first talk about the positive points.

You are dedicated and determine aspirant. As you stated, you have practiced almost 300 + hours and took multiple mock tests. Also, the results which you have shared shows significant improvement in Quant. Talking about verbal results, they are pretty consistent and less. But, your hard work will never go in vain.

GMAT is not as easy as we assume. GMAT math is logic, and verbal is a real language test of an individual. You need to make sure that you get any possible combination to achieve your target score of 720+. GMAT 720+ is 94 percentile and above. V37/Q50 V39/Q49, V43/Q45 are some possible combinations.

First thing first, keep your concepts intact. Have a newly revised study plan for yourself. You are no longer a beginner. So, learn and re-learn is the best methodology you need to apply. Take our free diagnostic test https://www.mathrevolution.com. Also, check our free trial pack and video lesson.

Apart from this, what exactly you need is :

1. A unique, alternative approaches to solve quant questions in a short period, thus saving the time of yours and increase accuracy and finally the score.
2. Up-To-Date questions that meet GMAT exam trends. You don’t need to waste your time on outdated questions here and there/
3. An expert to resolve your queries related to Quant sections individually.

Suggestions for other questions

Also, I want to know that how should I divide my perday study hours? I dedicate 4hours daily.

You should divide your 4hours study, according to sections. We will recommend that for the first hour you should learn the Quant concept and practice questions based on the same. After some time, spend 1 hour on Critical Reasoning. Once you complete it the next 1 hour should be invested in advance level question on already learned the concept of Quant and last 1 hour you should invest in Reading Comprehension.

My scores are not consistent too. I am not able to figure out the reason behind this.
You need a diagnostic test tool to track your performance in every test that you take. Every GMAT aspirant needs a diagnostic tool which helps them to track the performance section-wise every time.

Please let us know if you have further questions.
You can reach us at info@mathrevolution.com.
Success is within your reach.
Good luck!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Hi Prasannathawait,

I am in a similar situation as yours. Last month I gave GMAT and totally screwed it to a point where I started having second thoughts on my capabilities.

The fact that I had not touched academics in last 10+ years also was playing down against my preparations since my mind was rusted. So, I brushed up my basics for around 6-7 weeks(Nov – Dec’18). My preparations were also somewhat similar to what have mention here. I used to practice(10 Q's from each section under timed conditions) from OG 13th edition, OG - 2019 set and OG 2020, halfway through OG 2020 gave my GMAT .

After reviewing my exam I checked my GMATclub error log which shows that on an average I take more time for solving a problem both for Quant and Verbal especially for hard ones. Unable to figure out what to do I browsed through GMAT plans available on GMAT club. Almost all call for a rigorous plan pointing towards working on weaknesses in a disciplined manner. If that's how you also feel I recommend you go through them and see what suits you well. Also, Ron’s videos(150+) are insightful for both Quant and Verbal(approach-wise).

Lastly, one common thing among suggestions is that ultimately it’s up to that candidate to see what errors he/she makes in general, which part of the test makes him/her prone to mistakes. Since you and I have similar situation and devoted way much of time, personally I believe unlearn and relearn approach should be helpful. One more thing sometimes i get bumped by quant question totally check new concept(new style of asking actually which makes comprehension difficult) consider doing volumes of question but only if you like so.

Hope this helps.

PS: Assuming that you prepared on self-preparation basis.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hey, thanks for the reply.
Yes, I am on a self prep mode.
I'll check the Ron videos now, and will unlearn and relearn proper approach to solve the problems.
Thanks. :please :)

lnm87 wrote:
Hi Prasannathawait,

I am in a similar situation as yours. Last month I gave GMAT and totally screwed it to a point where I started having second thoughts on my capabilities.

The fact that I had not touched academics in last 10+ years also was playing down against my preparations since my mind was rusted. So, I brushed up my basics for around 6-7 weeks(Nov – Dec’18). My preparations were also somewhat similar to what have mention here. I used to practice(10 Q's from each section under timed conditions) from OG 13th edition, OG - 2019 set and OG 2020, halfway through OG 2020 gave my GMAT .

After reviewing my exam I checked my GMATclub error log which shows that on an average I take more time for solving a problem both for Quant and Verbal especially for hard ones. Unable to figure out what to do I browsed through GMAT plans available on GMAT club. Almost all call for a rigorous plan pointing towards working on weaknesses in a disciplined manner. If that's how you also feel I recommend you go through them and see what suits you well. Also, Ron’s videos(150+) are insightful for both Quant and Verbal(approach-wise).

Lastly, one common thing among suggestions is that ultimately it’s up to that candidate to see what errors he/she makes in general, which part of the test makes him/her prone to mistakes. Since you and I have similar situation and devoted way much of time, personally I believe unlearn and relearn approach should be helpful. One more thing sometimes i get bumped by quant question totally check new concept(new style of asking actually which makes comprehension difficult) consider doing volumes of question but only if you like so.

Hope this helps.

PS: Assuming that you prepared on self-preparation basis.
GMAT Club Bot