Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:49 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V24
GMAT 2: 550 Q36 V29
GMAT 3: 560 Q36 V31
GMAT 4: 640 Q41 V37
GMAT 5: 690 Q48 V36
Send PM
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 164 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 4
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: 14 Days Till the Exam. Need Some Advice. [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Navski wrote:
I am fully confident that if I had 3 more months to study I could get myself into to the 700 range, but unfortunately I have 14. I believe in myself but I need some guidance. Anything would be much appreciated!
Whatever you do, don't lose sleep over the fact that you're taking the GMAT soon. Taking the GMAT now does not mean that you can't take it again or that you are committed to a particular course of action. You should take a GMATPrep as soon as possible though.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Skywalker18 wrote:
Hi Navski ,
Since there are 6 GMAT Prep tests , you should probably stick to those as they are the most accurate representation of the GMAT .
14 days is a little less a time to score 700 + given where you are currently stand .
You should focus on your weak areas in the verbal
- SC - e-GMAT and Manhattan SC - It can be improved in the least amount of time
- CR - Powerscore , e-GMAT , MGMAT Ron's videos
- RC - It will the most difficult section to improve

Quant - Consolidate on your strong areas and focus on weak areas
- Statistics , Geometry , Word problems , Coordinate geometry - Can be improved with lesser effort
- Number theory , Counting , Probability - Comparatively more effort is needed

Hope this helps!!

I will definitely look into this!! I have generally been decent at RC but mistakes in SC and CR have hurt me the most.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ashwink wrote:

Honestly, prepping too much in the last few days such as the situation you described would only lead to a burnout. Sure, some of the basics can be learnt and some tricks can be picked up. But, this exam needs a consistent plan over a few months. Do you have the option to reschedule now?

Ashwink,

Nope, one of the schools I am applying to has a deadline. The school requires a minimum of 650, I would just like to score 700 on the first go around as this would be the ideal score for all the schools.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT 1: 530 Q40 V23
GPA: 3.56
WE:Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Review is the key. Without further reaching to new questions, develop you GAME PLAN for the test. You may find the following link helpful.

https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog/2012/09/13/the-last-14-days-building-your-game-plan-part-1/
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Navski,

With just 14 days before your Official GMAT, it sounds like you might be planning to do too much studying. While it might be tempting to try to 'cram' in a lot of material in these last 2 weeks, that type of approach doesn't lead to great results all of that often (and you run the risk of 'burning out' before Test Day, which is something that you want to avoid). Since your last few CAT scores are fairly close to one another, I have a few questions about how you took these CATs:

1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Navski,

With just 14 days before your Official GMAT, it sounds like you might be planning to do too much studying. While it might be tempting to try to 'cram' in a lot of material in these last 2 weeks, that type of approach doesn't lead to great results all of that often (and you run the risk of 'burning out' before Test Day, which is something that you want to avoid). Since your last few CAT scores are fairly close to one another, I have a few questions about how you took these CATs:

1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE?

Rich

Hi Rich

1) I have done all the CATs without the Essay, but I always do the IR. The Next Few Practice CATs I plan to do with the Essay.
2) I take the exam at a Library near home because it is a Quiet Place with Other Students Studying.
3) I have an 8 am the exam on a Saturday, and I usually do Practice Exams beginning between 10 and 1 on Saturdays and Sunday.
4) 4/6 CATs I didn't pause and generally took no more than the 8-minute break. I guess one thing I did was spend about 3-4 minutes of my break looking at my phone during the breaks not for test info but to kind of get my mind of the previous section.
5.) Never took any of the CATs Twice, I might have seen maybe 1-2 Questions before or questions that were very similar.

I have been hearing a lot about burnout, but I have taken off work, so I figured if I study for 8 hours I have 8 hours to keep my mind off the exam and do other relaxing things.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
Navski wrote:
I decided about a month ago that I wanted to go to B-School in Europe this fall.
Since then I have spent about 60 hours completing the Economist's self-study course. And have completed 6 CATs.
I have also been doing Kaplan and GMAT Club Questions of the Day as Well.

My Concern is that I haven't done much of the OG, Probably about 50-60 Questions if so many. I have about 20-25 Hours of material left on the Self-Study Course. Including some very crucial topics (Half of Geometry, Permutations, Combinations, Rate, Statistics, Modifiers, Clauses, and Idioms). I have also shifted my schedule so I can dedicate 8+ Hours to the GMAT every day.

My plan is to complete about 3 Hours of course material a day over the next 7 days. Do and Error Log about 20-25 Questions From the OG every day. I'm going to dedicate a few hours to creating flash cards over the next week so that I can review a lot of the concepts in my final days of preparation. I also want to try to take 3 More CAT's. My goal is to get 700+ on the GMAT.

Do you think there is anything I should change or add in my study strategy, would love to get some input?

CAT Scores

1.) Economist CAT 1 (Q38 V24) 510
2.) Economist CAT 2 (Q43 V21) 530
3.) GMAT Prep 1 650 (Q47 V33) 650
4.) Kaplan Free Cat (Q42 V34) 630
5.) Veritas Free Cat (Q44 V31) 620
6.) Economist CAT 3 (Q49 V33) 660

I am fully confident that if I had 3 more months to study I could get myself into to the 700 range, but unfortunately I have 14. I believe in myself but I need some guidance. Anything would be much appreciated!

Good luck! :)
don't study too hard at the day before D-Day
You need a lot of energy
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Navski,

Based on everything that you've described, I'd like to know what's more important - taking the GMAT as scheduled or getting a 700+? In simpler terms - what score would you be satisfied with (to the point that you'd be done with the GMAT) if you take the GMAT in 2 weeks? If you scored 650, would you extend your studies and take the GMAT again?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Navski,

Based on everything that you've described, I'd like to know what's more important - taking the GMAT as scheduled or getting a 700+? In simpler terms - what score would you be satisfied with (to the point that you'd be done with the GMAT) if you take the GMAT in 2 weeks? If you scored 650, would you extend your studies and take the GMAT again?

Rich

Hi Rich,

I would really like to get into a top B-School in Europe and I know a 700+ will assist me with that. My goal is to try do a MSc program in Finance. One of the particular ones I'm looking into has a March 31st deadline and requires a minimum of 650. They accept unofficial scores but I am still cutting it close. So I don't have much of a choice, I really have my mind set on a 700, I would just like to get it on the first try.
GMAT Club Bot