Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:44 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V47
Send PM
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5206 [1]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5206 [1]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Re: 680 (Q45, V37) on Manhattan CAT [#permalink]
Kudos
jaewonton531 wrote:
Thank you for your advice! I think I'm going to try to make flashcards to memorize the relevant Quant information that you recommend.

I'm not really sure what to say about my approach to Verbal. My biggest problem used to be that I'd go outside the scope of the argument/question/passage, so now I remind myself to "keep it simple, stupid." LOL.

Other than that, I don't know... I read a LOT. I've always been a huge reader and I think I read more than anyone I personally know. Not only that, but I very rarely read one book at a time. For example, I might read a chapter from one book, then a paragraph from another book, then maybe two pages from a third book, etc. At any one time there are at least 5+ books I'm actively juggling. I have no idea if this reading habit (i.e. reading multiple things at once) has helped me or not on Verbal, though! I also reread a lot. I'm a compulsive rereader.

And if I'm not reading books, I'm looking up longform articles or otherwise interesting journalism.

I should note that I'm not reading great works from the literary canon or anything. Maybe 90% of what I read is utter trash. But I think my reading habits helped me zip through RC passages much more quickly than the average test taker might have? Also, when I read a passage for the first time, I don't concern myself with getting every little detail. I give it a surface reading to make sure I understand the gist of the passage before I move on to the questions.

I don't think I have any special approach to CR. Not that it matters because I got 50% of the CR questions wrong on the CAT anyway. D:

For CR, the process of pre-thinking what the assumptions of the argument are, did wonders for me.
It is also extremely important to identify the correct conclusion(which is the main point, why the argument has been written)

As for assumption questions, there is a negation technique which actually helps eliminate the wrong option.
Once, you are down to two choices, you should negate the answer choices.
If the conclusion remains after you have negated that is not the answer you are looking for
You could read the CR Bible by PowerScore which has some really useful tips.

Hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Thanks! Yeah, I ordered that PowerScore book earlier this week after seeing it so highly recommended on this site and elsewhere. It's supposed to arrive today.

I kind of regret not coming here for book recommendations from the start because I wasted so much money on other books that haven't really helped me at all, haha.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.3
WE:Other (Insurance)
Send PM
680 (Q45, V37) on Manhattan CAT [#permalink]
Kudos
My experience with the Manhattan Prep CATs was similar to yours. I felt like the questions were so difficult (in particular the quant) that I would get damn near to just giving up in the latter stages of the test. I ended up taking all 6 Manhattan Prep CATs with the following scores:

However, my experiences on the official practice tests from GMAC and on the actual exam were totally different. I took one practice GMAC test before even starting with Manhattan Prep and scored a 750. Then I took another GMAC practice test after my 4th Manhattan Prep CAT and scored a 770. And then I ended up scoring a 760 on the actual test. I felt like the level of complexity of the Manhattan Prep questions rated 600-700 was far greater than even the most difficult questions on the actual test. This was especially noticeable on the quant, where a problem on the Manhattan Prep test might take 5 steps to solve, but a similar problem on the actual test would only take one or two.

So I'd say don't worry too much about that fried-brain, ready-to-give-up feeling that you felt during the Manhattan Prep CAT. I think it just stems from the sheer difficulty of the Manhattan Prep questions. When I took the actual test, I remember feeling mentally fresh throughout the whole thing, in stark contrast to how I felt while taking the Manhattan Prep CATs. All in all, I think you're well on your way to scoring a 720+.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
Thank you for your insight wrt Manhattan's CATs. That is something that I had heard before in some vague fashion.

Before I took the MGMAT I was doing Princeton Review drills (this was before I read all the advice about sticking to official questions as much as possible). The PR drills were so easy that when I took the Manhattan CAT it was like a bucket of ice water over my head lol.

Oh well, better to score low on a more-difficult-than-the-real-thing CAT and then score higher than I expect on the actual test than the opposite, I guess. As long as I don't let myself get psyched out! (Which could happen.)

Oh, and congrats on your excellent score!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.3
WE:Other (Insurance)
Send PM
Yes that's how I felt. I was grateful that the Manhattan Prep questions were so difficult because it made the test seem like a breeze. Best of luck
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jaewonton531 wrote:
And if I'm not reading books, I'm looking up longform articles or otherwise interesting journalism.
That's going to help you a lot. The only way you could prepare better for the GMAT is by reading otherwise extremely boring journalism :-D
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1541 [1]
Given Kudos: 115
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
680 (Q45, V37) on Manhattan CAT [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
jaewonton531 wrote:
Sorry, this is gonna be a long post... my friends say I'm being neurotic haha....

I took my first full-length diagnostic CAT (from Manhattan Prep) this weekend and got a 680 (with a 7.25 on IR, but I got lucky on that one since I was pretty much guessing on the last three questions). Q45, V37. I'd really like to get at least a 720. I'm taking the GMAT on September 8, about 1.5 months away.

Excellent work! If you got a 680 on your first ever practice test, that bodes very well for hitting 700+ when you take the real thing. I'd recommend running an assessment report on your test on the MPrep site (you can find it on the same page as you found the practice tests). That'll help you set priorities. However, if you took this before studying very much, take the data from this first practice test with a grain of salt. It's hard to tell whether you were weak in a particular area because it's difficult for you, or because it's easy for you but you haven't practiced it for a long time. If you're just rusty at something, you may not need to study it a whole lot to be great at it again!

Here's a bit of reading material on analyzing practice tests: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog ... ts-part-1/

Finally, it's impossible to tell whether your score will be higher or lower on the real GMAT, or spot on. We do our best with our practice tests, but there's inevitably some error in any practice test, and that's magnified with third-party practice tests like MPrep's. (Although for what it's worth, the former chief psychometrician from GMAC - Larry Rudner - gave our practice tests his approval, and if anybody knows, he would.) The GMATPrep official practice tests might be closer to the score you'd actually get if you took the test tomorrow, so I'd recommend taking one of those in a couple of weeks.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 613 [0]
Given Kudos: 111
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
jaewonton531 wrote:
That's going to help you a lot. The only way you could prepare better for the GMAT is by reading otherwise extremely boring journalism :-D

But where can I find this Extremely Boring Articles??
GMAT Club Bot