GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 May 2019, 00:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
760  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 14 Nov 2017, 11:41
I thought I should post here because this forum has been immensely helpful to me. I greatly believe in giving back, and this is my contribution. This debrief is probably not brief, but during my preparation I found that the longer the debrief, the more helpful it tended to be.

I have listed some general strategies below that worked for me. I encourage you to read debriefs during your free time time to motivate yourself and also to get ideas from. I did not take any coaching or tuition classes, and all the ideas that I got about which mocks to take and and which books to follow were from debriefs I read here. I hope this is helpful to you.

Strategies:

Check if the erasable notepad and pens work or not.

AWA: Keep an eye on the clock. Finish 2-3 minutes before time so that you can reread and edit for spelling and grammatical mistakes. Try to write at least 500 words.

Material:
Chinese Burned
MGMAT CATs
GMAT Prep Free CATs
GMAT Prep Exam Pack 1

IR: 30 minutes for 12 questions. Try to do swiftly. If the question seems too complicated, skip it. Remember that you can use the calculator.

Material:
MGMAT CATs
GMAT Prep Free CATs
GMAT Prep Exam Pack 1

After the AWA and IR section, get a new notepad.

QA:
PS: Read the question, understand what is going on, then solve it. Write even the simplest of equations to completion to avoid making silly mistakes. Try not to make mistakes in the first ten questions. If too complicated, skip.

DS: write down part 1, solve, check with question stem. Next to it, write NS or Suff. Write down part 2 solve, check with question stem. Next to it, write NS or Suff. If both not suff., then solve using both and then mark answer. Try not to make mistakes in the first ten questions. If too complicated, skip.

Time distribution:
0 questions 75 mins
10 questions 55 mins
20 questions 35 mins
30 questions 15 mins
37 questions 1 min

Material:
OG 16
Manhattan Advanced Quant
MGMAT CATs
GMATClub
GMAT Prep Software Questions
GMAT Prep Free CATs
GMAT Prep Exam Pack 1

I got a fresh notepad after this section too, but many people may not need one. My handwriting is really big and cursive.

VA:
CR: Read the question stem, understand the stem and what it is asking for, go through the answers. If the answers look close, write down abcde on note pad and strike out. After choosing the answer, reread the stem and the question to make sure that your option makes sense. If you are stuck in an assumption question, use the negation technique.

RC: Read the passage and then go to the questions. Understand what the question is asking for. Even if the answer seems obvious, go back to the passage to verify the answer that you have chosen.

SC: When you have chosen an answer, put it back in the main statement and make sure it is grammatically correct as a whole.

Time distribution:
0 questions 75 mins
10 questions 57 mins
20 questions 39 mins
30 questions 21 mins
40 questions 3 mins
1 question 1.2 min

Material:
OG 16
OG Verbal 12 (except RC)
Manhattan SC
PowerPrep CR Bible
MGMAT CATs
GMAT Prep Software Questions
GMAT Prep Free CATs
GMAT Prep Exam Pack 1

Please let me know if you have any questions. I am open to editing my answer to add anything I might have missed.

Originally posted by champachameli on 18 Jul 2017, 12:28.
Last edited by champachameli on 14 Nov 2017, 11:41, edited 7 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Sustainability
GPA: 3.83
Re: 760  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 14:24
Congrats on 99 percentile score! you did have a jump in verbal from the GMATPrep scores - is reading for meaning the key? Big big jump from V40-41 to 46 : anything special you did on test day ?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 14:47
What was the time period over which you prepared and gave mocks?

Sent from my Redmi 4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 10 Oct 2017, 09:58
Sprihasakshi wrote:
What was the time period over which you prepared and gave mocks?

Sent from my Redmi 4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

I got a copy of my OG in December and did about ten questions a day on the train on my way to and back from work. Somewhere in the middle I also took the Veritas Prep mock in a really half-hearted manner. After finishing the OG, in around February, I got the Advanced Manhattan Quant and the Manhattan SC books. I finished the two books very leisurely over two months, and then took my first mock in the end of March, which was a big shocker. I was not expecting such a low score. That is when I started maintaining an error log. Originally I had planned to take my exam in the end of April, which got pushed to end of May, then end of June. This was mainly because I did not want to take the exam before I knew I was prepared. In the beginning of May, when I knew that I just have to fine tune my preparation, I booked the exam slot. It was hard for me to get a good date and a good time. My exam was at 8 am. I studied for a maximum of an hour a day. Also my work was such that I could not study everyday. There were a couple of nights that I had to spend in office at my desk. Plus Sundays, I just didn't feel like studying. However, this does not mean that I am exceptionally smart. It just means that I adapted my strategies to suit my weaknesses. I would spend a considerable amount of time thinking what went wrong and what I could do improve. This forum is a great place to learn strategies. Hope this helps.

Originally posted by champachameli on 18 Jul 2017, 15:58.
Last edited by champachameli on 10 Oct 2017, 09:58, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 16:02
vismadeb wrote:
Congrats on 99 percentile score! you did have a jump in verbal from the GMATPrep scores - is reading for meaning the key? Big big jump from V40-41 to 46 : anything special you did on test day ?

I used to make a lot of silly mistakes on verbal. Also, I would get exhausted towards the end of the mocks and select answers rather casually sometimes, which I feel contributed to a low score on the mocks. On the final day I took the break, ate an energy bar, drank some water, splashed some water on my face and then came back recharged. I think that helped with the exhaustion and focus. Also, I avoided making silly mistakes by sticking to the strategies I have listed above. The books I have listed above contributed enormously to my score.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Sustainability
GPA: 3.83

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 19:04
this is helpful! thank you and good luck in the future

Senior PS Moderator
V
GPA: 3.12

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 20:30
First off, Congrats on the awesome score and all the best for the applications.

One specific question that I had for you :
Did you take the test after the section order change?
If yes, what was the order and did that help with the score?
Also, how did you approach your final exam with the mocks that you took?
As I see the scores on the MGMAT are just average,
was it because of lack of knowledge, or was it because you were
testing specific strategies that the scores were on the lower side?
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2017, 17:53
pushpitkc wrote:
First off, Congrats on the awesome score and all the best for the applications.

One specific question that I had for you :
Did you take the test after the section order change?
If yes, what was the order and did that help with the score?
Also, how did you approach your final exam with the mocks that you took?
As I see the scores on the MGMAT are just average,
was it because of lack of knowledge, or was it because you were
testing specific strategies that the scores were on the lower side?

I took this before the order change kicked in, but I do think now the test taker can strategize. A major problem that I had was that I would get really tired and begin to care less towards the middle of the verbal section. If that applies to you, perhaps you can keep some other section at the end.

The MGMAT quant is far more time consuming than the real thing in my opinion. Secondly, yes, lack of knowledge. I just kept learning based on the mistakes I made.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: 760   [#permalink] 19 Jul 2017, 17:53

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap