Last visit was: 18 Jul 2024, 09:44 It is currently 18 Jul 2024, 09:44
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6311 [30]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [1]
Given Kudos: 666
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: A cub is often weaker than a kitten and needs protection [#permalink]
To me, A and B are contenders.

Finally go for A.

Wait for the OA
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [1]
Given Kudos: 64
Send PM
Bookmarks
I will go with B as well.

Below is my reasoning:

A. a few completely self-performed hunts are a fine indication that
B. a few completely self-performed hunts confirm that correct
C. a few hunts completely performed by self are indicative that passive
D. a few completely self-performed hunts is a fine indication that (hunts should be accompanied with are, not is which is singular
E. completing a few self-performed hunts are a fine indication that alters meaning
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 83
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
B cannot be right because "confirm" distorts the intended meaning of the given question
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
According to me Option B is not a complete sentence !

hence, option A

Experts some feedback on this one !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Bookmarks
A cub is often weaker than a kitten and needs protection from the mother lioness; a few completely self-performed hunts are a fine indication that the child lion has grown enough to fend itself against the wild animals.

A. a few completely self-performed hunts are a fine indication that ==> Correct, "are" matches with "a few completely...hunts"
B. a few completely self-performed hunts confirm that ==> the sentence may not contain any grammatical errors, but the meaning does not match with what was originally intended, the hunts are considered indications, they do not confirm that the child lion has grown enough to fend itself against the wild animals.
C. a few hunts completely performed by self are indicative that==> "are" does not match with "a few hunts...by self", here the the subject is not "a few hunts", but rather the subject clause "a few...self".
D. a few completely self-performed hunts is a fine indication that ==> "is" does not agree with "a few .... hunts".
E. completing a few self-performed hunts are a fine indication that ==> "are" does not agree with "completing..hunts", which is an subject clause.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 304 [3]
Given Kudos: 222
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
tinayni552 wrote:
A cub is often weaker than a kitten and needs protection from the mother lioness; a few completely self-performed hunts are a fine indication that the child lion has grown enough to fend itself against the wild animals.

C. a few hunts completely performed by self are indicative that==> "are" does not match with "a few hunts...by self", here the the subject is not "a few hunts", but rather the subject clause "a few...self".

This Post is two years old, but nevertheless! This is not why this choice is wrong. And Subject and Verb perfectly agree here.
Subject= A few hunts, Verb= are indicative
"completely performed by self" is a modifier. However, C is wordy, and that is why the choice is wrong
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1751 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GPA: 3.97
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
although 'are' is used to define hunts and that is correct but is the usage of ' a few' correct?
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35762 [0]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Expert Reply
globaldesi wrote:
although 'are' is used to define hunts and that is correct but is the usage of ' a few' correct?

Yes. "A few" = "a small number of"

You may be asking about the usage of few without "of."
Here are sentences in which few is used.
You do not need to append the word "of."

Substitute "a small number of."
. . . a small number of completely self-performed hunts are a fine indication . . .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
Send PM
Bookmarks
GMATNinja kindly enlighten us why A is correct and B is not.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
Hey Guys i got this one correct please find my reasons for eliminating wrong options

1) Correct
2) Confirm - This completely changes the meaning of the sentence although at the beginning I thought it as a contender but indication and confirmation are completely different so eliminated this based on this grounds.
3) A few followed by prepositonal phrase so the subject here is hunts are is the correct usage but the option is little awkward and passive so eliminate this as well.
4) A few hunts is plural so this is a subject verb agreement error.
5) In this option completing becomes subject, which is singular. Since completing doesn't agree with plural verb eliminate this option as well.

Hope this helps:-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 141
Send PM
Kudos
How can "self-performed hunts" - plural, be "a fine indication" - singular?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 125
Send PM
theres nothing wrong with option b . Option A is wordy and less concise . An Experts perspective would be great!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [0]
Given Kudos: 839
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
I narrowed it down to A and B and chose B.
As and when possible could any expert point out why B is wrong and A is right?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6980 [3]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
SarthakHaruray wrote:
theres nothing wrong with option b . Option A is wordy and less concise . An Experts perspective would be great!

kntombat wrote:
I narrowed it down to A and B and chose B.
As and when possible could any expert point out why B is wrong and A is right?

AnandMan wrote:
GMATNinja kindly enlighten us why A is correct and B is not.

Hello, everyone. For what it is worth, I will offer my thoughts on why choice (A) is preferred over (B). Let me start by saying that I do not subscribe to the notion that the original sentence contains the intended meaning. Only the non-underlined portion can be taken as gospel. Otherwise, you could expect to see a lot more correct first options to SC questions. This one is no different.

broall wrote:

A. a few completely self-performed hunts are a fine indication that
B. a few completely self-performed hunts confirm that

Source: ExpertsGlobal

So how do we determine whether are a fine indication or confirm makes for a better answer? We have to rely on the context of the sentence and let expressed meaning guide our hand. Choice (A) indicates a degree of uncertainty. Although lone hunts are a sign that a cub has grown enough to fend [for] itself, such hunts may not provide the only sign. Hence, several completely self-performed hunts offer a strong sign or a fine indication that a cub may no longer need protection from its mother.

Choice (B) is too strong in its use of confirm. If you read the word as prove, it begs the question, How so? How would a few such hunts prove anything? What if the hunts were unsuccessful? (The line does not tell us about the outcomes, just that the hunts were self-performed.) What constitutes a few? Two? Five? At what point would there be a crossover from a strong sign to proof of something? The mind races.

The takeaway is that overstated language can lead to unclear or incorrect conclusions. To be honest, this exact split reminds me more of something I might see in a CR or RC question, but here it is, all the same.

I hope that helps. Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Shouldn't it be "few hunts are fine indications"? How is "a fine indication" correct here? GMATNinja AndrewN generis ExpertsGlobal5
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6980 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
VelvetThunder wrote:
Shouldn't it be "few hunts are fine indications"? How is "a fine indication" correct here? GMATNinja AndrewN generis ExpertsGlobal5

Hello, VelvetThunder. As I touched on in my post above, it is quite possible for multiple units of something—likes on a social media post, launches for an aeronautical site, sales figures for a business, or, here, hunts for an animal—to be taken as a sign of something. The focus is on the collective, rather than on the individual components. Similarly, I could say that mistakes in grammar with irregular verbs can be taken as a sign that a child is internalizing the rules or conventions. I may not be emphasizing that each mistake provides such a sign, but that many such mistakes, considered as a whole, offer such information. In other words, the pattern could be more important than the constituents.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
VelvetThunder wrote:

Hello, VelvetThunder. As I touched on in my post above, it is quite possible for multiple units of something—likes on a social media post, launches for an aeronautical site, sales figures for a business, or, here, hunts for an animal—to be taken as a sign of something. The focus is on the collective, rather than on the individual components. Similarly, I could say that mistakes in grammar with irregular verbs can be taken as a sign that a child is internalizing the rules or conventions. I may not be emphasizing that each mistake provides such a sign, but that many such mistakes, considered as a whole, offer such information. In other words, the pattern could be more important than the constituents.

- Andrew

Thanks AndrewN You are the best! :)
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6984 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts