Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:49 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [13]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.79
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.79
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 327 [3]
Given Kudos: 334
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 500 [0]
Given Kudos: 185
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
Re: After losing his right arm to an injury sustained in World War I [#permalink]
I don't understand why the answer is E, the structure in this answer is not parallel, to be so we need to add "to" to mantain the infinitive.

Am I right? Is this a quality question? mikemcgarry can you help us with this question?

E) decided to focus on pieces written for the left hand rather than to quit
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: After losing his right arm to an injury sustained in World War I [#permalink]
As far as I understand, instead of can only preceded a noun in GMAT & quitting is a verb. Is that correct? Will appreciate a correction in my reasoning if it's flawed.

Because of this very reason, I chose E over A

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 327 [3]
Given Kudos: 334
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
After losing his right arm to an injury sustained in World War I [#permalink]
Kudos
Mankodim wrote:
As far as I understand, instead of can only preceded a noun in GMAT & quitting is a verb. Is that correct? Will appreciate a correction in my reasoning if it's flawed.

Because of this very reason, I chose E over A

Posted from my mobile device

Right!
". Rather than vs instead of.
Rather than is the right choice because rather than shows contrast, while instead of just meaning ‘in the place of’ does not effuse contrast.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/a-recent-stu ... 4-140.html
instead of – preposition – always should be followed by noun.
Rather than – preferable.
a) It can be followed by anything (verb, phrase,noun .....).
b) it always represent softer replacement whereas "instead of " represent harder replacement.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/recent-psych ... 18023.html
" (c)

I am not sure you can not count "quitting" as a noun in this case (it plays the role of noun), but imo more important the issue about contrast.

2dimmark: seems to me it is the case when you can throw out the second "to" and it will be ok.
See the second link - the same situation (it is understandable that there is the second "to")
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
Schools: Wharton '22
Send PM
sanathadiga wrote:
After losing his right arm to an injury sustained in World War I, the Austrian pianist Paul Wittgenstein decided to focus on pieces written for the left hand instead of to quit his professional piano-playing career.

a) decided to focus on pieces written for the left hand instead of to quit
b) decided to focus on pieces written for the left hand instead of quitting
c) decided he ought to focus on pieces written for the left hand as opposed to quitting
d) decided to focus on pieces written for the left hand rather than quitting
e) decided to focus on pieces written for the left hand rather than quit

Split 1:
Rather than vs instead of. -> Rather than is usually prefered (see explanation in earlier comments)

C is very awkward and not parallel.

D or E:
Here is where I have a problem with the answer. Neither answer choice seems to be parallel?
If E had ...than to quit I'd have no problem with it. Is the question incorrect or is there anything I'm missing?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4690 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
sanathadiga wrote:
After losing his right arm to an injury sustained in World War I, the Austrian pianist Paul Wittgenstein decided to focus on pieces written for the left hand instead of to quit his professional piano-playing career.

c) decided he ought to focus on pieces written for the left hand as opposed to quitting

Correct Answer must be (E) for correct Idiomatic and Parallelism usage ...

After losing his right arm to an injury sustained in World War I, the Austrian pianist Paul Wittgenstein decided to focus on pieces written for the left hand rather than quit his professional piano-playing career.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 1120
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Fuqua '24 (A)
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
sanathadiga wrote:

Kaplan's Explanation:

Read the Original Sentence Carefully, Looking for Errors:

The sentence, as written, contains the incorrect idiom, "decided to focus … instead of to quit …." There are three correct ways to express the two options: "to X rather than Y," "to do X rather than do Y," or "to do X rather than Y." Additionally, the verbs used must be in parallel form.

Scan and Group the Answer Choices:

(A) and (B) use the phrase "instead of," (C) uses "as opposed to," and (D) and (E) use "rather than."

Eliminate Wrong Answer Choices:

(A), (B), and (C) are all incorrect idiomatically, per the rule explained above, and can be eliminated. (D) changes the word "quit" to "quitting." To be in parallel, "focus" must be joined by "quit." Thus, (D) can be eliminated as well. This leaves (E), which uses the proper idiom and is parallel, as the correct answer.

TAKEAWAY: In addition to checking whether comparisons and contrasts are parallel, make sure the wording is idiomatically correct.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
After losing his right arm to an injury sustained in World War I [#permalink]
Can someone please clarify this question? I got the right answer because either: 1) they used 'Instead' rather than 'Rather'; 2) they weren't in parallel.

I'm mainly trying to understand why E works as the 'to focus' and 'quit' are not technically in parallel (one is an infinitive and the other is simple present).

Any help/explanation here would be much appreciated.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 286
Send PM
Hi Expert,

Request you to help me with this one by informing the difference between rather than and instead of.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts