GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Aug 2018, 14:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

After years of record drought, declines in California’s reserves

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
After years of record drought, declines in California’s reserves  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 03 Feb 2017, 13:27
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

22% (00:54) correct 78% (01:05) wrong based on 441 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

After years of record drought, declines in water reserves in California are driving many of its cities and towns to implement mandatory rationing.

(A) declines in water reserves in California are driving many of its cities and towns

(B) water reserves in California have declined so that many of its cities and towns have been driven

(C) shrinking water reserves in California are driving many of its cities and towns

(D) shrinking water reserves in California are a drive for many of its cities and towns

(E) shrinking water reserves in California have declined to drive many of its cities and towns

Source: TTP Beta Testing

Marty Murray
GMAT Coach
m.w.murray@hotmail.com
http://infinitemindprep.com

Originally posted by MartyMurray on 03 Feb 2017, 06:37.
Last edited by MartyMurray on 03 Feb 2017, 13:27, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Accounting, Leadership
Schools: Erasmus '19
GMAT 1: 410 Q18 V27
GMAT 2: 490 Q35 V23
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: After years of record drought, declines in California’s reserves  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2017, 07:51
Ouch - I forgot that 'its' can refer to "California’s reserves".

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

|Welcoming tips/suggestions/advices (you name it) to help me achieve a 600|

Retired Moderator
S
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: After years of record drought, declines in California’s reserves  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2017, 07:53
Top Contributor
MartyMurray I feel C is the correct answer not A. Please correct me.

After years of record drought, declines in California’s reserves of water are driving many of its cities and towns to implement mandatory rationing.

(A) declines in California’s reserves of water are driving many of its cities and towns.............declines in reserves is awkward construction for me.

(B) California’s reserves of water have declined so that many of its cities and towns have been driven......so that changes the meaning

(C) California’s shrinking water reserves are driving many of its cities and towns...........correct according to me. concise and simple.

(D) California’s shrinking water reserves are a drive for many of its cities and towns..........are a drive is awkward.

(E) California’s shrinking water reserves have declined to drive many of its cities and towns...........infinitive makes it sound intentional

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2017, 12:00
Nevernevergiveup wrote:
MartyMurray I feel C is the correct answer not A. Please correct me.

After years of record drought, declines in California’s reserves of water are driving many of its cities and towns to implement mandatory rationing.

(A) declines in California’s reserves of water are driving many of its cities and towns.............declines in reserves is awkward construction for me.

(B) California’s reserves of water have declined so that many of its cities and towns have been driven......so that changes the meaning

(C) California’s shrinking water reserves are driving many of its cities and towns...........correct according to me. concise and simple.

(D) California’s shrinking water reserves are a drive for many of its cities and towns..........are a drive is awkward.

(E) California’s shrinking water reserves have declined to drive many of its cities and towns...........infinitive makes it sound intentional

C has a meaning issue.

C conveys that the water reserves are driving the cities and towns to implement mandatory rationing. "shrinking" merely modifies "water reserves".

It is the shrinking of or decline OF the water reserves that is driving the cities and towns to implement mandatory rationing.

While A may not flow as well as C, A conveys the intended meaning, which is that the declines are driving the cities and towns to implement mandatory rationing.

Marty Murray
GMAT Coach
m.w.murray@hotmail.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2017, 12:33
MartyMurray wrote:
After years of record drought, declines in California???s reserves of water are driving many of its cities and towns to implement mandatory rationing.

(A) declines in California???s reserves of water are driving many of its cities and towns

(B) California???s reserves of water have declined so that many of its cities and towns have been driven

(C) California???s shrinking water reserves are driving many of its cities and towns

(D) California???s shrinking water reserves are a drive for many of its cities and towns

(E) California???s shrinking water reserves have declined to drive many of its cities and towns

When something is inside of preposition, then it can't be subject or agent. In A, the location of ''water and California???s reserves'' is inside of preposition. That means, 'water' and 'California???s reserves' can't be the subject. So, in A, ''its'' should be possessive pronoun of noun ''declines''. So, the use of ''its'' instead of ''California???s reserves'' is not faulty?
Thank you...

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2017, 13:07
iMyself wrote:
MartyMurray wrote:
After years of record drought, declines in California???s reserves of water are driving many of its cities and towns to implement mandatory rationing.

(A) declines in California???s reserves of water are driving many of its cities and towns

(B) California???s reserves of water have declined so that many of its cities and towns have been driven

(C) California???s shrinking water reserves are driving many of its cities and towns

(D) California???s shrinking water reserves are a drive for many of its cities and towns

(E) California???s shrinking water reserves have declined to drive many of its cities and towns

When something is inside of preposition, then it can't be subject or agent. In A, the location of ''water and California???s reserves'' is inside of preposition. That means, 'water' and 'California???s reserves' can't be the subject. So, in A, ''its'' should be possessive pronoun of noun ''declines''. So, the use of ''its'' instead of ''California???s reserves'' is not faulty?
Thank you...

Good point. Hmm. So maybe the wording would work as "water reserves in California". Then "California" could be the antecedent.

Marty Murray
GMAT Coach
m.w.murray@hotmail.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2017, 13:15
MartyMurray wrote:
iMyself wrote:
MartyMurray wrote:

When something is inside of preposition, then it can't be subject or agent. In A, the location of ''water and California's reserves'' is inside of preposition. That means, 'water' and 'California's reserves' can't be the subject. So, in A, ''its'' should be possessive pronoun of noun ''declines''. So, the use of ''its'' instead of ''California's reserves'' is not faulty?
Thank you...

Good point. Hmm. So maybe the wording would work as "water reserves in California". Then "California" could be the antecedent.

So, do you think that option A is ok without any mistakes?
Thanks...

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”

Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2017, 13:22
iMyself wrote:
MartyMurray wrote:
iMyself wrote:
When something is inside of preposition, then it can't be subject or agent. In A, the location of ''water and California's reserves'' is inside of preposition. That means, 'water' and 'California's reserves' can't be the subject. So, in A, ''its'' should be possessive pronoun of noun ''declines''. So, the use of ''its'' instead of ''California's reserves'' is not faulty?
Thank you...

So, do you think that option A is ok without any mistakes?
Thanks...

I am not 100% sure.

It may be that using a possessive noun as the antecedent of a possessive pronoun is considered ok, but I don't like using possessive nouns as antecedents for any type of pronoun. So I am going to edit it, changing "California's" to "California".

At that point, I believe, A will be 100% correct.

Marty Murray
GMAT Coach
m.w.murray@hotmail.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2017, 13:53
Thank you MartyMurray for editing the post and animate the problem.

Intern
Intern
S
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2017, 11:55
Okay, there has been a lot of modifications to the question and everything seems to be resolved.
But then Why A but not C (post edit)?
(A)declines in water reserves ......are driving away...
(C) shrinking water reserves....are driving away...
To me, there's not much difference in the meaning. Or, both convey fine things. What makes (A) better than (C)

sayantanc2k chetan2u daagh - what's your opinion?

Cheers
PeeKay

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2017, 02:15
Top Contributor
1. But A says that the declines have a record drought. If declines had a record drought, it will mean that the water resources should be abounding.

What had a record drought? It is neither the decline nor the shrinkage alone. It is the water resources that suffered the record drought, IMO

2. On the sideline, "the decline" isn't the appropriate diction to describe shrinkage since decline's predominant meaning is to refuse politely.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2017, 07:39
PKay wrote:
Okay, there has been a lot of modifications to the question and everything seems to be resolved.
To me, there's not much difference in the meaning. Or, both convey fine things. What makes (A) better than (C)

In my opinion both A and C are alright.

The original poster of the question explains why C is wrong here:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/after-years- ... l#p1799675

But I am not quite in agreement with this explanation. A modified noun is not the same as the original noun. Consider the following sentence:
I am not afraid of a dog, but I am afraid of a barking dog.
Therefore, I feel "shrinking water reserves" in option C is not a problem.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2017, 01:17
MartyMurray wrote:
After years of record drought, declines in water reserves in California are driving many of its cities and towns to implement mandatory rationing.

(A) declines in water reserves in California are driving many of its cities and towns

I've still confusion about the official answer (A). Option A says something like following example:
A) Changes in this SC edits by MartyMurray can give us an important point to discuss blah blah blah.....
A) Changes in this SC discusses in gmatclub forum can give an important point to blah blah blah....

I think the RED part should be something like below...
A) Changes in this SC edited by MartyMurray can give us an important point to discuss blah blah blah.....
A) Changes in this SC discussed in gmatclub forum can give an important point to blah blah blah....
In short, the word ''reserves'' should be replaced with adjective ''reserved'' to legit the official answer. Isn't it sayantanc2k, daagh, MartyMurray?
Also, I did not have a clear indication about the use of the pronoun ''its''. Is the pronoun ''its'' is being used for ''California'' or ''declines''?
Thank you my honorable expert.

Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2017, 04:59
Top Contributor
Quote:
Also, I did not have a clear indication about the use of the pronoun ''its''. Is the pronoun ''its'' is being used for ''California'' or ''declines''?

How can the singular "its" be ever used for the plural "declines?"

Narendran +9198845 44509

Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2017, 05:14
Top Contributor
IMyself wrote

Quote:
A) Changes in this SC edits by MartyMurray can give us an important point to discuss blah blah blah.....
A) Changes in this SC discusses in gmatclub forum can give an important point to blah blah blah....

In order to understand your point in its perspective, it might help to know in what part of speech are the words "edits" or "discusses" used in your examples. While "edits" can be a plural noun, "discusses" can only be a present tense verb used for singulars. In the topic under issue, "reserves" is a clear plural noun. Therefore, it is rather difficult to make out what your second example tries to convey.
Could you pl. help?

Narendran +9198845 44509

Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 20 Feb 2017, 22:10
Top Contributor
There has been some great discussion going on regarding the antecedence of the pronoun in this topic. There is a view that grammatically, a noun that is inside of a preposition cannot act as the true reference of the pronoun. Here are some OG examples, which may be eye opening in the context.

1. Schistosomiasis, a disease caused by a parasitic worm, is prevalent in hot, humid climates, and it has become more widespread as irrigation projects have enlarged the habitat of THE FRESHWATER SNAILS THAT ARE THE PARASITE'S HOSTS FOR PART OF ITS LIFE CYCLE.

A. the freshwater snails that are the parasite's hosts for part of its life cycle
B. the freshwater snails that are the parasite's hosts in part of their life cycle
C. freshwater snails which becomes the parasite's hosts for part of its life cycles
D. freshwater snails which become the hosts of the parasite during the parasite's life cycles
E. parasite's hosts, freshwater snails which become their hosts during their life cycles
The correct answer is A, in which the pronoun 'its' refers to the parasitic worm, which is inside the prepositional phrase "by a parasitic worm"

2. In some types of pine tree, a thick layer of needles protects the buds from which new growth proceeds; consequently, they are able to withstand forest fires relatively well.

A) a thick layer of needles protects the buds from which new growth proceeds; consequently they are able to withstand forest fires relatively well
B) a thick needle layer protects buds from where new growth proceeds, so that they can withstand forest fires relatively well
C) a thick layer of needles protect the buds from which new growth proceeds; thus, they are able to withstand relatively well any forest fires
D) since the buds from which new growth proceeds are protected by a thick layer needle layer, consequently they can therefore withstand forest fires relatively well
E) because the buds where new growth happens are protected by a thick layer of needles, they are able to withstand forest fires relatively easily as a result

The correct choice is A, wherein the pronoun 'they' refers to "some types of pine tree" which per se is within the prepositional phrase "in some types of pine tree"

3. By a vote of 9 to 0, the Supreme Court awarded the Central Intelligence Agency broad discretionary powers enabling it to withhold from the public the identities of its sources of intelligence information.

(A) enabling it to withhold from the public
(B) for it to withhold from the public
(C) for withholding disclosure to the public of
(D) that enable them to withhold from public disclosure
(E) that they can withhold public disclosure of
The correct answer is A. The antecedence of 'it' is CIA, which is an object noun. It might be noted that CIA is not the doer or the agent of the action.
So what is the takeaway? IMO, we shouldn't be overly prudish about pronoun reference. Not that grammar is unimportant, but all the same, grammar has to be validated by logic in the final.

Narendran +9198845 44509

Originally posted by daagh on 20 Feb 2017, 06:50.
Last edited by daagh on 20 Feb 2017, 22:10, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
G
GPA: 3.4
WE: General Management (Human Resources)

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2017, 11:22
I think meaning issue is more important when solving gmat problem.in choice A , it precisely describe intended meaning .
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2017, 13:48
sayantanc2k wrote:
PKay wrote:

In my opinion both A and C are alright.

The original poster of the question explains why C is wrong here:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/after-years- ... l#p1799675

But I am not quite in agreement with this explanation. A modified noun is not the same as the original noun. Consider the following sentence:
I am not afraid of a dog, but I am afraid of a barking dog.
Therefore, I feel "shrinking water reserves" in option C is not a problem.

You have almost convinced me, but still I think that at the very least "declines in water reserves" more clearly expresses the point, which is that the declines in or the shrinking OF the reserves have driven the cities and towns to implement rationing.

Marty Murray
GMAT Coach
m.w.murray@hotmail.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2017, 02:48
daagh wrote:
There has been some great discussion going on regarding the antecedence of the pronoun in this topic. There is a view that grammatically, a noun that is inside of a preposition cannot act as the true reference of the pronoun. Here are some OG examples, which may be eye opening in the context.

1. Schistosomiasis, a disease caused by a parasitic worm, is prevalent in hot, humid climates, and it has become more widespread as irrigation projects have enlarged the habitat of THE FRESHWATER SNAILS THAT ARE THE PARASITE'S HOSTS FOR PART OF ITS LIFE CYCLE.

A. the freshwater snails that are the parasite's hosts for part of its life cycle
B. the freshwater snails that are the parasite's hosts in part of their life cycle
C. freshwater snails which becomes the parasite's hosts for part of its life cycles
D. freshwater snails which become the hosts of the parasite during the parasite's life cycles
E. parasite's hosts, freshwater snails which become their hosts during their life cycles
The correct answer is A, in which the pronoun 'its' refers to the parasitic worm, which is inside the prepositional phrase "by a parasitic worm"

2. In some types of pine tree, a thick layer of needles protects the buds from which new growth proceeds; consequently, they are able to withstand forest fires relatively well.

A) a thick layer of needles protects the buds from which new growth proceeds; consequently they are able to withstand forest fires relatively well
B) a thick needle layer protects buds from where new growth proceeds, so that they can withstand forest fires relatively well
C) a thick layer of needles protect the buds from which new growth proceeds; thus, they are able to withstand relatively well any forest fires
D) since the buds from which new growth proceeds are protected by a thick layer needle layer, consequently they can therefore withstand forest fires relatively well
E) because the buds where new growth happens are protected by a thick layer of needles, they are able to withstand forest fires relatively easily as a result

The correct choice is A, wherein the pronoun 'they' refers to "some types of pine tree" which per se is within the prepositional phrase "in some types of pine tree"

3. By a vote of 9 to 0, the Supreme Court awarded the Central Intelligence Agency broad discretionary powers enabling it to withhold from the public the identities of its sources of intelligence information.

(A) enabling it to withhold from the public
(B) for it to withhold from the public
(C) for withholding disclosure to the public of
(D) that enable them to withhold from public disclosure
(E) that they can withhold public disclosure of
The correct answer is A. The antecedence of 'it' is CIA, which is an object noun. It might be noted that CIA is not the doer or the agent of the action.
So what is the takeaway? IMO, we shouldn't be overly prudish about pronoun reference. Not that grammar is unimportant, but all the same, grammar has to be validated by logic in the final.

It's ok, but the use of ''its'' instead of ''California'' is really confusing in A to me. My intuition says that 'California' is not the actual referent of pronoun 'its'.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2017, 03:01
daagh wrote:
IMyself wrote

Quote:

In order to understand your point in its perspective, it might help to know in what part of speech are the words "edits" or "discusses" used in your examples. While "edits" can be a plural noun, "discusses" can only be a present tense verb used for singulars. In the topic under issue, "reserves" is a clear plural noun. Therefore, it is rather difficult to make out what your second example tries to convey.
Could you pl. help?

My thinking says that the word ''reserves'' is being used as ''adjective'' in the official correct sentence. So, for that reason, I drew some examples in which 'edited' and 'discussed' has been used as 'adjective'. If the word 'reserves' is being used as 'plural countable noun', then the use of 'reserves' is ok to me. But, how ''reserves'' is used as countable noun. Longman Dictionary says that the word ''decline'' is countable and plural when it is related with sales, profits, and production (become less). So, my question is how the word 'declines' is related with THESE things in this official sentence?
Thank you...
Attachments

decline.PNG
decline.PNG [ 27.2 KiB | Viewed 926 times ]

Re: After years of record drought, declines in California’s reserves &nbs [#permalink] 21 Feb 2017, 03:01

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 30 posts ] 

After years of record drought, declines in California’s reserves

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap