GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jul 2018, 14:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Almost the entire demand for milk products in Hamilton County is

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
P
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Almost the entire demand for milk products in Hamilton County is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2018, 06:30
bb wrote:
Yes. Soon. That’s all I can say right now.

Posted from my mobile device

Wow! I will be waiting for it. It will be helpful for all to solve the questions anytime anywhere.

Thank you bb
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Almost the entire demand for milk products in Hamilton County is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2018, 08:44
Amirfunc wrote:
Hi All,

I chose B for this question, if the operating expenses have not reduced from the past year, then there will be fewer outlets managing the expenses and directly the revenue would be lower.

Is there something I am missing?

Thanks

Hey Amirfunc ,

You fell into the very common trap my friend. :)

B says it has not reduced. That nowhere tells us whether it will remain the same or will increase. If it increases, our conclusion will be weakened and if it remains the same, our conclusion is strengthened.

Hence, B is incorrect.

Does that make sense?

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Intern
Intern
B
Almost the entire demand for milk products in Hamilton County is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 07 Jul 2018, 11:38
abhimahna wrote:
Nightmare007 wrote:
How can you suppose that they are running in full capacity. Previously they ran on normal capacity.
C tells that they did not increase sales from these opened.

Suppose MD owns 10 distribution centers each used to sell 10Million packets of milk. 4 - closed down.
C is saying these 6 distribution centers did not sell more packets to compensate for the 40 million packets sales difference.

So i opted C.
E says: what if its business is outside than inside. - Still it lost 4 outlets, and it will not affect anything. I think this is irrelevant. So what if people buy from outside city. We don't know whether each of the distributors will sell more this time in outside or will sell less outside.

abhimahna, GMATNinja Can you please tell me where am going wrong. Am still not sure why E is right. I have given my reasoning in above statements.

Thank you

Hey Nightmare007 ,

I understood what made you go wrong.

Option C is saying the remaining centers sold less volume. Now, this could be a strengthener but not an assumption. So, if you negate this statement: "They didn't sell less volume". This means they are selling either equal or more. If more, our conclusion is broken apart but if equal, it strengthens the conclusion.

Now, let's talk about option E.

E is saying they are not getting most of their business from outside. Notice the word "MOST". If I say, yes they have most of their business from outside, that means closing of those 4 centers in the state won't impact much and hence the conclusion is broken.

But if they are getting everything from within the state, they will surely have a great impact. Hence, E is the correct answer.

Remember: An assumption is something if negated breaks the conclusion apart.

Does that make sense?

Hello abhimahna,
If we negate C there will be either equal amounts or more. If equal then the conclusion still hold. If more, we still don't know if enough to compensate. So C is out.
If we negate E and assume that more than half of the distribution centers are outside of HC we would still need to assume that they made enough to compensate for the closed centers. Because even if the ones that closed were negligible and most of the DCs remained open technically the revenues would be less.
I eventually chose E because it was the only option left and not because I was convinced by the content.
Can you please make it clearer. Maybe i am missing something or using a wrong approach.

Originally posted by afa13 on 03 Jul 2018, 12:11.
Last edited by afa13 on 07 Jul 2018, 11:38, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2018, 08:42
hellosanthosh2k2 wrote:
Negating C DOES NOT crash the conclusion

Negated C: The distribution centers that have remained open have sold same volumes of milk this year as they did last year,
but still because of other closed distributed centers it will loose sales and revenues.

C shell game answer.

When we negate option C, shouldnt this be reworded to say that the remaining centers sold the same/more volumes ( did not sell less ) of milk this year which totally crashes the conclusion where revenues fall ( if price is constant )?
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2018, 09:03
Nightmare007 wrote:
bb wrote:
Yes. Soon. That’s all I can say right now.

Posted from my mobile device

Wow! I will be waiting for it. It will be helpful for all to solve the questions anytime anywhere.

Thank you bb

The App is live by the way and can be downloaded from the Play Store. Search for gmat club forum.

Thx.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Re: Almost the entire demand for milk products in Hamilton County is   [#permalink] 07 Jul 2018, 09:03

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 25 posts ] 

Almost the entire demand for milk products in Hamilton County is

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap