GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2018, 03:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Almost the whole of Yellowstone National Park is located in one of the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP
V
GPA: 3.39
Premium Member CAT Tests
Almost the whole of Yellowstone National Park is located in one of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2017, 12:37
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

35% (00:56) correct 65% (01:12) wrong based on 350 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Almost the whole of Yellowstone National Park is located in one of the world’s largest volcanic craters; the question is if the recent increased activity of the park’s geysers and hot springs indicate that the volcano has become active.

(A) if the recent increased activity of the park’s geysers and hot springs indicate that the volcano has become active.
(B) if recently observed increases in the activity of the park’s geysers and hot springs indicate that the volcano has become active.
(C) whether recently observed increases in the activity of the park’s geysers and hot springs indicate that the volcano is becoming active.
(D) whether recently observed increases in the activity of the park’s geysers and hot springs indicate that the volcano has become active.
(E) whether recently observed increases in the activity of the park’s geysers and hot springs indicate they are becoming active.

Source: GMAT For Dummies

Official PS Practice Questions
Press +1 Kudos if this post is helpful

Manager
Manager
S
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Almost the whole of Yellowstone National Park is located in one of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2017, 20:51
It should be (D). "recently observed" => past tense. "has become" => started in the past and continuing currently.

"is becoming" => present. If something is happening NOW, then the observation can't happen in the past.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Almost the whole of Yellowstone National Park is located in one of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2017, 00:02
Yes even I went for D . Seeing "is becoming" in C, i eliminated C.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Operations, Leadership

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2017, 00:57
Easy to eliminate option A and B as they use "if" without any condition. "if" + condition+ then + result/effect

Among C,D ,and E, option E has pronoun ambiguity(they).

I choose D. "has become", which already happened and continuing.

Waiting for OE
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 580 Q49 V21
GPA: 3.75
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2017, 06:09
Almost the whole of Yellowstone National Park is located in one of the world’s largest volcanic craters; the question is if the recent increased activity of the park’s geysers and hot springs indicate that the volcano has become active.

(A) if the recent increased activity of the park’s geysers and hot springs indicate that the volcano has become active.
(B) if recently observed increases in the activity of the park’s geysers and hot springs indicate that the volcano has become active.
(C) whether recently observed increases in the activity of the park’s geysers and hot springs indicate that the volcano is becoming active.
(D) whether recently observed increases in the activity of the park’s geysers and hot springs indicate that the volcano has become active.
(E) whether recently observed increases in the activity of the park’s geysers and hot springs indicate they are becoming active.

Error Analysis:

When we are asking questions, whether should be used. If is used only in case of condition. So A and B are wrong.
D is wrong because the verb is wrongly used. has become indicates that the event is not happening at present,but volcanic eruption is continuous one. So its wrong.
Option E is wrong because it incorrectly says hot springs become active.

Therefore the answer is C.
VP
VP
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2017, 06:55
Imo C
whether is more appropriate here .
If is used for conditional .

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2018, 06:17

(A) if the recent increased activity of the park’s geysers and hot springs indicate that the volcano has become active. -- Incorrect 'whether' is required for a 'yes/no' question.
(B) if recently observed increases in the activity of the park’s geysers and hot springs indicate that the volcano has become active. -- Incorrect, same as (A)
(C) whether recently observed increases in the activity of the park’s geysers and hot springs indicate that the volcano is becoming active. -- Correct
(D) whether recently observed increases in the activity of the park’s geysers and hot springs indicate that the volcano has become active. -- Incorrect, use of perfect tense is illogical here implying that volcano has already been active, if that 's the case then there would be no need ask question about its activity.
(E) whether recently observed increases in the activity of the park’s geysers and hot springs indicate they are becoming active. -- Incorrect, pronoun issue.

Please give me KUDOS if my post helps you...

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2018, 08:18
Chose D.
C-Volcano is becoming active. - I am always skeptical about verb-ing in the middle of the sentence. It means that Volcano is becoming active, like a process. It is in a process of becoming active. Don't know if that was the meaning.Never heard of it.
D sounded much more precise . That it wasn't active before but has become active now
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2018, 02:30
[quote="SajjadAhmad"]Almost the whole of Yellowstone National Park is located in one of the world’s largest volcanic craters; the question is [u]if the recent increased activity of the park’s geysers and hot springs indicate that the volcano has become active.[/u]

Source: GMAT For Dummies[/quote]

The original sentence states that the question is asked to check whether the volcano is active. Option C in this regard changes the meaning because according to option C the activation process is still continuing. I prefer ans D because it conserve the original meaning and corrects the errors in the original. Someone please help

[size=80][b][i]Posted from my mobile device[/i][/b][/size]
Intern
Intern
B
Almost the whole of Yellowstone National Park is located in one of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2018, 16:41
SajjadAhmad wrote:

I agree that the best option is D.

In my opinion, the "active" state is binary - a volcano is either active or inactive.
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2018, 09:44
jch103020 wrote:
SajjadAhmad wrote:

I agree that the best option is D.

In my opinion, the "active" state is binary - a volcano is either active or inactive.

Hi jch103020

D is wrong because it changes the meaning. D says ....'the volcano has become active'. It means volcano became active sometime in past and it is active since then even now, and If this will be the case then there is no question remains to ask whether ....bla bla.

Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.97
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2018, 19:50
GMATNinja can you help with this question? why C and not D is the correct answer.
Volcano is becoming active sounds weird. HAs become active also depicts active stared in past and d have an effect on present

Please give Kudos. Kudos encourage active discussions and help the community grow

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GPA: 3.32

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2018, 12:30
For me , both C and D are really close options. How does one select the better option in such cases on test day ?
Re: Almost the whole of Yellowstone National Park is located in one of the &nbs [#permalink] 12 Aug 2018, 12:30

Almost the whole of Yellowstone National Park is located in one of the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap