It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 20:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although she was considered among her contemporaries to be the better

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 66

GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Although she was considered among her contemporaries to be the better [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2017, 21:46
srikrishnans92 wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Review 2017

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 805
Page: 710

Although she was considered among her contemporaries to be the better poet than her husband, later Elizabeth Barrett Browning was overshadowed by his success.

(A) Although she was considered among her contemporaries to be the better poet than her husband, later Elizabeth Barrett Browning was overshadowed by his success.

(B) Although Elizabeth Barrett Brwoning was considered among her contemporaries as a better poet than her husband, she was later overshadowed by his success.

(C) Later overshadowed by the success of her husband, Elizabeth Barrett Brwoning's poetry had been considered among her contemporaries to be better than that of her husband.

(D) Although Elizabeth Barrett Browning's success was later overshadowed by that of her husband, among her contemporaries she was considered the better poet.

(E) Elizabeth Barrett Browning's poetry was considered among her contemporaries as better than her husband, but her success was later overshadowed by his.

A)A BETTER THAN IS CORRCT WORD
EG SACHIN TENDULKAR IS A BETTER BATSMAN THAN RICKY PONTING
ITS NOT LIKE
SACHIN TENDULKAR IS THE BETTER BATSMAN THAN ---- OUT

B)HOW CAN ELIZABETH OVERSHADOWED BY HIS (HUSBANDS) SUCCESS

C)HOW CAN ELIZABETH'S POETRY BE OVERSHADOWED BY HUSBAND'S SUCCESS?
OUT

D)CORRECT ANSWER CHOICE NO ERRORS

E)POETRY ILLOGICALLY COMPARED WITH HUSBAND -OUT

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Give Kudos for correct answer and/or if you like the solution.

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 66

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 43

Re: Although she was considered among her contemporaries to be the better [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2017, 18:14
A: Incorrect comparison - Elizabeth Browning is being compared to her husband's success
Elizabeth Browning's success is comparable to her husband's success
Elizabeth Browning is comparable to her husband

B: Incorrect. Same reason as A

C: Incorrect. Similar to A; Success of her husband is being compared to Elizabeth's poetry

D: Correct

E: Incorrect: Considered .... to be is the correct idiom not consider...as

Give me kudos and see what happens to your GMAT score :-)

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 101

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2017, 08:00
Hi all,

I chose D after "consider X Y" split.

But I have question for choice D, what is the antecedent for pronoun "she", the possesive pronoun has antecendent "Elizabeth Barrett Browning's success"

Experts Please help

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 101

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2017, 21:55
hellosanthosh2k2 wrote:
Hi all,

But I have question for choice D, what is the antecedent for pronoun "she", the possesive pronoun has antecendent "Elizabeth Barrett Browning's success"

Experts Please help

'She' refers to Elizabeth Browning. While the antecedent is not explicitly stated, it unambiguously refers to Elizabeth Browning. Ultimately Sentence Correction is about picking the best answer among the choices. The best answer choice is not always perfect.

Expert Post
Manhattan Prep Instructor
B

Kudos [?]: 1235 [0], given: 29

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2017, 13:44
Yeah, the GMAT seems to have abandoned the rather uptight "possessive poison" rule. As long as the meaning is clear, we can use a regular pronoun to refer back to a possessive noun.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2017, 13:43
DmitryFarber wrote:
Yeah, the GMAT seems to have abandoned the rather uptight "possessive poison" rule. As long as the meaning is clear, we can use a regular pronoun to refer back to a possessive noun.

Here is another instance when the GMAT abandoned that rule from (EP1):

Although women's wages are improving, Department of Labor statistics show that the ratio of their earnings with that of men have been roughly static since 1960.

A. with that of men have been
B. to that of men are
C. to those of men have been
D. with those of men is
E. to those of men has been

Their has no antecedent.

Expert Post
Manhattan Prep Instructor
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2017, 14:44
zvazviri Actually, the rule never would have applied here in the first place. It was always okay to use a possessive pronoun (e.g. "their") to refer to a possessive noun.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9281 [0], given: 341

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2017, 15:20
hellosanthosh2k2 wrote:
Hi all,

Experts Please help

Hello hellosanthosh2k2,

Yes, you are correct in saying that she in the correct answer choice does not seem to have a grammatical antecedent because this non-possessive pronoun seems to refer to the possessive noun Elizabeth Barrett Browning's.

However, I would treat this one as an atypical usage of a non-possessive pronoun. I would take this usage as an exception rather than the rule. I would still look for a non-possessive noun as a grammatical antecedent of a non-possessive pronoun.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9281 [0], given: 341

Re: Although she was considered among her contemporaries to be the better   [#permalink] 02 Nov 2017, 15:20

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 48 posts ] 

Although she was considered among her contemporaries to be the better

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap