GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Nov 2019, 15:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Although she was considered among her contemporaries to be the better

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 580 Q47 V23
GMAT 2: 640 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Re: Although she was considered among her contemporaries to be the better  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2019, 21:28
Consider/Considered + Noun is the correct structure. Consider to be, Consider as, are all wrong. Consider+bare form of the noun is the correct structure.

Only option D says "considered the better poet". Rest all choices say considered as, considered to be.

OPTION: D

Chaitanya

+1 Kudos

if you like my explanation!!!
Senior SC Moderator
V
Re: Although she was considered among her contemporaries to be the better  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2019, 22:06
eswarchethu135 wrote:
Consider/Considered + Noun is the correct structure. Consider to be, Consider as, are all wrong. Consider+bare form of the noun is the correct structure.

Only option D says "considered the better poet". Rest all choices say considered as, considered to be.

OPTION: D

eswarchethu135 , I would not be quite so certain that you can eliminate options on the basis of consider to be.

An official question that uses consider to be in the correct answer choice is HERE.

Another official question, HERE uses consider to be in its non-underlined part.

Consider to be is probably not a basis upon which an answer should be eliminated. Those options have other errors.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has -- Margaret Mead
Manager
Manager
G
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2019, 12:50
(A) Although she was considered among her contemporaries to be the better poet than her husband, later Elizabeth Barrett Browning was overshadowed by his success.- Considered to is incorrect idiom

(B) Although Elizabeth Barrett Brwoning was considered among her contemporaries as a better poet than her husband, she was later overshadowed by his success.- Considered as is incorrect idiom

(C) Later overshadowed by the success of her husband, Elizabeth Barrett Brwoning's poetry had been considered among her contemporaries to be better than that of her husband.- Considered to is incorrect idiom

(D) Although Elizabeth Barrett Browning's success was later overshadowed by that of her husband, among her contemporaries she was considered the better poet. - Correct

(E) Elizabeth Barrett Browning's poetry was considered among her contemporaries as better than her husband, but her success was later overshadowed by his.- Considered as is incorrect idiom

Hence D

I am on a journey. Gradually I'll there..!!
VP
VP
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2019, 02:34
patto wrote:
GMATNinja Hi!
I still don't get the point why SHE in option D is not incorrect... does this pronoun have any antecedent?
Reading other answers I got why HER is ok, but I can't figure out why SHE is correct..

In D, possessive noun (Elizabeth Barrett Browning's) with possessive pronoun (her) is perfectly fine. But, the problem is in "possessive noun" ( Elizabeth Barrett Browning's ) with "non-possessive pronoun" ( she ). We did not directly get this "non-possessive pronoun" (she) from "possessive noun" (Elizabeth Barrett Browning's); we got "possessive pronoun" (her) first. From my understanding, "possessive pronoun" (her) with "non-possessive pronoun" (she) make sense at least for this case!

SEARCH FOR ALL TAGS
Manhattan Prep Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2019, 00:40
There is no need to distinguish between possessive and non-possessive in evaluating the antecedent of pronouns. There is only one female in the sentence, and so the antecedent of both "she" and "her" is completely clear.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan Prep GMAT Instructor | San Diego

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 610 Q46 V28

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2019, 01:45
srikrishnans92 wrote:
Although she was considered among her contemporaries to be the better poet than her husband, later Elizabeth Barrett Browning was overshadowed by his success.

(A) Although she was considered among her contemporaries to be the better poet than her husband, later Elizabeth Barrett Browning was overshadowed by his success.

(B) Although Elizabeth Barrett Browning was considered among her contemporaries as a better poet than her husband, she was later overshadowed by his success.

(C) Later overshadowed by the success of her husband, Elizabeth Barrett Browning's poetry had been considered among her contemporaries to be better than that of her husband.

(D) Although Elizabeth Barrett Browning's success was later overshadowed by that of her husband, among her contemporaries she was considered the better poet.

(E) Elizabeth Barrett Browning's poetry was considered among her contemporaries as better than her husband, but her success was later overshadowed by his.

Hi DmitryFarber daagh VeritasKarishma AjiteshArun

The reason I rejected option 'B' was incorrect comparison. The comparison, which I think is incorrect, states that Elizabeth Barrett Browning (a person) was overshadowed by 'success'. The comparison should be either between 2 people or between the success levels of 2 people.

Please correct me if I am wrong in my understanding.

Thanks
Saurabh
Retired Moderator
V
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2019, 01:58
Top Contributor
Suarab
You forgot the import of the word 'than'. That is the comaparison marker and whatever is next to it is the compared item on one hand. Ther other compared element is Browning. That she was overshadowed by his success is just an indicative taement. There is no comparison involved in taht part, because ther is no comparison in that portion.
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 610 Q46 V28

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2019, 02:14
daagh wrote:
Suarab
You forgot the import of the word 'than'. That is the comaparison marker and whatever is next to it is the compared item on one hand. Ther other compared element is Browning. That she was overshadowed by his success is just an indicative taement. There is no comparison involved in taht part, because ther is no comparison in that portion.

daagh

Many Thanks !

Understood, so apart from the idiom issue in option 'B' there are no other errors, right (i.e. considered X as Y is a sure shot No No in GMAT).

Or in the absence of correct choice 'D', option 'B' could have been the answer?

Thanks
Saurabh
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Although she was considered among her contemporaries to be the better   [#permalink] 29 Sep 2019, 02:14

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 48 posts ] 

Although she was considered among her contemporaries to be the better

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics