It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 07:17

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although she was considered among her contemporaries to be the better

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 348

CAT Tests
Re: Although she was considered among her contemporaries to be the better [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2016, 23:26
I am bit worried If i am comparing anything wrong here..
I have gone through the thread and most of the things discussed around idiom and possessive pronoun.
I made to D by different reason. Please correct me if I am comparing anything wrong here
In every choice other than D , either we are comparing EBB with his success or Her husband with EBB's success. ONly D provides the correct comparison

A ) Elizabeth Barrett Browning was overshadowed by his success. I think EBB's success is required
B) she was later overshadowed by his success. Same as A.
c) overshadowed by the success of her husband, Elizabeth Barrett Brwoning's poetry... poetry is not overshadowed
D correct comaprision Although Elizabeth Barrett browning's success was later overshadowed by that of her husband
e) poetry was considered among her contemporaries as better than her husband Again same wrong comparision.

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 348

D

Kudos [?]: 488 [0], given: 113

Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Although she was considered among her contemporaries to be the better [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2016, 12:21
srikrishnans92 wrote:
Although she was considered among her contemporaries to be the better poet than her husband, later Elizabeth Barrett Browning was overshadowed by his success.

A, Although she was considered among her contemporaries to be the better poet than her husband, later Elizabeth Barrett Browning was overshadowed by his success.
B, Although Elizabeth Barrett Brwoning was considered among her contemporaries as a better poet than her husband, she was later overshadowed by his success.
C, Later overshadowed by the success of her husband, Elizabeth Barrett Brwoning's poetry had been considered among her contemporaries to be better than that of her husband.
D, Although Elizabeth Barrett Browning's success was later overshadowed by that of her husband, among her contemporaries she was considered the better poet.
E, Elizabeth Barrett Browning's poetry was considered among her contemporaries as better than her husband, but her success was later overshadowed by his.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Kudos [?]: 488 [0], given: 113

1 KUDOS received
D

Kudos [?]: 488 [1], given: 113

Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2016, 08:21
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
ngoctranphuong wrote:
Can anyone show me where in OG materials right idiom "consider X Y" or wrong "consider X as/to be Y" is mentioned? I have never seen such explanation or guide by GMAC for any question even this. Thank you!

1. Consider X to be Y
2. Consider X Y
3. Consider X as Y
These are all correct but in GMAT, use consider X Y. here are some examples:

Specific to GMAT:
RIGHT: considers X Y (e.g. I consider her a friend.)
SUSPECT: considers X to be Y (e.g. The judge considers the law to be unconstitutional.)
WRONG: considers X as Y. (e.g. The judge considers the law as (being)unconstitutional.)
This discussion may help you : https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/idiom-consider-t2758.html

Consider X Y (no ‘to be’)
Correct: Most musicologists consider Joseph Haydn the father of the sonata.
Incorrect: Most musicologists consider Joseph Haydn to be the father of the sonata.
Incorrect: Most musicologists consider Joseph Haydn as the father of the sonata.
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2011/top-ten-most-common-gmat-idioms/

OG13: Please check the #Q119 with its explanation on page 763 in OG13. in this question GMAC says: "When consider means think of OR believe after careful deliberation, it does not require "as" or any other expression (to be) before that object. it says "most concise" form needs to be used.

Now look at this question http://gmatclub.com/forum/in-california-a-lack-of-genetic-variation-in-the-argentine-35018.html . In this questions every choice has used considered to be.

Till now i have always got a GMAT question correct if i preferred considered X Y over consider to be/as.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Kudos [?]: 488 [1], given: 113

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 49

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2016, 05:00
Hi @dhagg,
Option D, Although Elizabeth Barrett Browning’s success was later overshadowed by that of her husband, among her contemporaries she was considered the better poet.
How is her refering Elizabeth here? the subject is EBB's success not EBB. Will you describe the rule regarding this?
Thanks in advance.

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 49

Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3632 [5], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2016, 11:44
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
NaeemHasan wrote:
Hi @dhagg,
Option D, Although Elizabeth Barrett Browning’s success was later overshadowed by that of her husband, among her contemporaries she was considered the better poet.
How is her refering Elizabeth here? the subject is EBB's success not EBB. Will you describe the rule regarding this?
Thanks in advance.

The rules that one may worth remembering are:
1. A possessive pronoun can refer to a subject, object or possessive noun.
2. A subject or object pronoun cannot refer to a possessive noun, because possessive noun is used as an adjective.

Priyanka went to school with her mother.... correct.
Priyanka's IQ is high,but she did not score high in the test..... wrong.

Kudos [?]: 3632 [5], given: 22

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 9

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2016, 03:19
daagh wrote:
This is a simple test of idiom, ‘consider X Y’ first. Consider to be( A, C), consider as (B, E) are out. The survivor is D. Maybe, then you may think of wrong modification in C and wrong comparison in E.

Hi Mr. Daagh,

I understand that "consider as" is incorrect idiomatic usage and GMAT does not support "consider to be" as well, but I have a question just for the sake of my understanding about the option D (which is the correct one)

"better" among her contemporaries- I would use better when I am comparing two entities and here we are not sure whether "among her contemporaries" is referring to Elizabeth and her husband or to a bunch of poets.

Please clarify.

regards
Yash

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 9

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3632 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2016, 18:31
Nevernevergiveup wrote:

In terms of meaning and Idiom Consider XY aspects I agree that Choice D is the best option here.
But here "she" pronoun is referring to subject noun in possessive form.
Did Gmat relax its rules regarding possessive pronouns? Please explain :|

The sentence also uses "her" to refer to "Browning's". Since all she / her must refer to the same person in a sentence, it is clear that "she" refers to Elizabeth Barrett Browning.

I have not come across an official question in which a personal pronoun refers to a possessive noun directly (i.e. without a possessive pronoun to make the reference clear).

Kudos [?]: 3632 [0], given: 22

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 330 [0], given: 13

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2017, 00:12
This post was
BOOKMARKED
KARISHMA315 wrote:
Please explain why B is not correct

Hi KARISHMA315, this is where some knowledge on idioms can actually come in very handy. The correct idiom is considered and not considered as, as used in option B.

Quote:
also how D is correct.In D 'her' is referring to Elizabeth Barrett Browning’s success ,so how is it correct

Actually her (a possessive pronoun) is very perfectly referring to the possessive noun Elizabeth Barrett Browning’s.

However, more relevant question in this regard would be: How is a subject pronoun she referring to a possessive noun Elizabeth Barrett Browning’s? As this sentence depicts, this is allowed on GMAT as well! So, for the most part, the case of a pronoun (subject/object/possessive) is not something that should bother you, while analyzing an option.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses most important idioms, their application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Kudos [?]: 330 [0], given: 13

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 136

GPA: 3.9
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2017, 10:18
This post was
BOOKMARKED
guialain wrote:
D looks a bit wierd to me.

".... She was considered the better poet."

the Better???

''......a better peot'' sounds better.
or "....the best poet"

She was considered the better poet-- correct As she was compared with her husband; when two entities are used, we need to use the comparative degree.

He is more intelligent than John.-- correct (he and John are compared)

He is the most intelligent student in the class. -- correct (he is compared with many students)

There is another issue with the incorrect choices.
Consider X Y is correct usage.

Consider X as Y -- incorrect

Consider X to be Y -- incorrect

He considers you a brilliant student -- correct
He considers you as a brilliant student --incorrect
He considers you to be a brilliant student --incorrect

Only correct choice correctly use "consider". Hope it helps..

----------------------------------------
+1 Kudos if you like the post :)

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 136

Verbal Forum Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 32

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2017, 18:14
Merged topics. Please, search questions before posting them!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 32

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 30

GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2017, 16:38
Although she was considered among her contemporaries to be the better poet than her husband, later Elizabeth Barrett Browning was overshadowed by his success.

A, Although she was considered among her contemporaries to be the better poet than her husband, later Elizabeth Barrett Browning was overshadowed by his success.
B, Although Elizabeth Barrett Brwoning was considered among her contemporaries as a better poet than her husband, she was later overshadowed by his success.
C, Later overshadowed by the success of her husband, Elizabeth Barrett Brwoning's poetry had been considered among her contemporaries to be better than that of her husband.
D, Although Elizabeth Barrett Browning's success was later overshadowed by that of her husband, among her contemporaries she was considered the better poet.
E, Elizabeth Barrett Browning's poetry was considered among her contemporaries as better than her husband, but her success was later overshadowed by his.

This is my 2 cents.
I think most people will manage to get down to B and D.
While solving this, I did not catch the correct idiom usage of "consider x y".
Instead, I focused on the meaning and chose D.

The problem with B is "...she was later overshadowed by his success". His success cannot overshadow a person.
In D, we see the correct meaning "Although Elizabeth Barrett Browning's success was later overshadowed by [success] of her husband..."
Hope this helps.

V.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 30

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 23

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2017, 11:49
Ashishmathew01081987 wrote:
srikrishnans92 wrote:

D, Although Elizabeth Barrett browning's success was later overshadowed by that of her husband, among her contemporaries she was considered the better poet.
E, Elizabeth Barrett Browning's poetry was considered among her contemporaries as better than her husband, but her success was later overshadowed by his husband.

D, Although Elizabeth Barrett browning's success was later overshadowed by that of her husband, among her contemporaries she was considered the better poet.

What does the pronoun "HER" refer to?? "HER" cannot refer to possessive "Elizabeth Barrett browning's success"

But as per MGMAT SC Guide, it is clearly mentioned that GMAT will steer away from having this issue the "make or beak" for any question.
So, maybe this is the fact being tested in the above question.

A - is out for modifier issues.
B, C, & E - are out for idiom "Consider X,Y" v/s "Consider X as Y" issue. (Consider X, Y - correct idiom)

So, that leaves us with D as the only answer.
But it's still debatable.

I under the idion part of X to be Y is wrong. But there also seems to be a pretty fundamental issue with D also. EBB's success cannot be what "her" is referring to according to numerous other questions (or rather it can be misinterpreted). I mean for instance, the answer choice C in the OG also says that EBB's poetry and her husband will be incorrectly compared. So did we ever get an answer why this is ok in this case?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 1

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE: Investment Banking (Venture Capital)

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2017, 05:31

A) Although she was considered among her contemporaries to be the better poet than her husband, later Elizabeth Barrett Browning was overshadowed by his success. better poet than her husband WAS
B) Although Elizabeth Barrett Browning was considered among her contemporaries as a better poet than her husband, she was later overshadowed by his success. same issue as "A" -- better than her husband WAS
C) Later overshadowed by the success of her husband, Elizabeth Barrett Browning's poetry had been considered among her contemporaries to be better than that of her husband. implies that poetry itself was overshadowed by a person. illogical
D) Although Elizabeth Barrett Browning's success was later overshadowed by that of her husband, among her contemporaries she was considered the better poet. "that of her husband" clearly refers to "success"
E) Elizabeth Barrett Browning's poetry was considered among her contemporaries as better than her husband, but her success was later overshadowed by his. how can poetry be better than a person? illogical (same as C)

My .02 on the question. Kudos if helpful :)

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2017, 05:36
LakerFan24 wrote:

A) Although she was considered among her contemporaries to be the better poet than her husband, later Elizabeth Barrett Browning was overshadowed by his success. better poet than her husband WAS
B) Although Elizabeth Barrett Browning was considered among her contemporaries as a better poet than her husband, she was later overshadowed by his success. same issue as "A" -- better than her husband WAS
C) Later overshadowed by the success of her husband, Elizabeth Barrett Browning's poetry had been considered among her contemporaries to be better than that of her husband. implies that poetry itself was overshadowed by a person. illogical
D) Although Elizabeth Barrett Browning's success was later overshadowed by that of her husband, among her contemporaries she was considered the better poet. "that of her husband" clearly refers to "success"
E) Elizabeth Barrett Browning's poetry was considered among her contemporaries as better than her husband, but her success was later overshadowed by his. how can poetry be better than a person? illogical (same as C)

Thanks. But I'm still not seeing the difference between c, where you are saying that EBB's Poetry is overshadowed by a person (when it says "than that of her husband"), and thus is wrong (which I agree with), but then in D the same issue appears.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2017, 05:49
brandon7 wrote:
LakerFan24 wrote:

Thanks. But I'm still not seeing the difference between c, where you are saying that EBB's Poetry is overshadowed by a person (when it says "than that of her husband"), and thus is wrong (which I agree with), but then in D the same issue appears.

C: You seem to understand the main issue here, which is "overshadowed by the success of her husband, Elizabeth Barrett Browning's poetry". This here seems to imply that poetry can overshadow a person -- but how is this logical? Understand that "overshadowed by the success of her husband," = MODIFIER. It modifies the subject that comes next, which here is "EBB's poetry". Therefore, there is an issue with comparison, there needs to be 2 similar things to be compared. "Poetry" and "husband" are obviously not similar, so we can't compare them.

D: "Elizabeth Barrett Browning's success was later overshadowed by that of her husband" -- this properly compares EBB's success to THAT (success) of her husband. You are able to compare the success of 2 people. "that" here is used as a pronoun, and it essentially takes the place of "success".

Make sense?

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2017, 14:55

(A) Although she was considered among her contemporaries to be the better poet than her husband, later Elizabeth Barrett Browning was overshadowed by his success. - the last part of the sentence in a way compares Elizabeth with success (of her husband), therefore INCORRECT + "Elizabeth" should come right after comma to make sense of the pronouns used in the first part of the sentence
(B) Although Elizabeth Barrett Brwoning was considered among her contemporaries as a better poet than her husband, she was later overshadowed by his success. - "she" cannot be overshadowed by "his success", rather her success can be overshadowed by his success
(C) Later overshadowed by the success of her husband, Elizabeth Barrett Brwoning's poetry had been considered among her contemporaries to be better than that of her husband. - who is "her" referring to
(D) Although Elizabeth Barrett Browning's success was later overshadowed by that of her husband, among her contemporaries she was considered the better poet. - CORRECT, clear comparson between Elizabeth success with that (success) of her husband
(E) Elizabeth Barrett Browning's poetry was considered among her contemporaries as better than her husband, but her success was later overshadowed by his. - "Elizabeth poetry" cannot be better than "her husband", instead it should compare "Elizabeth poetry" vs "her husband poetry"

NOTE: I am not an expert, therefore my analysis answering the questions may be incorrect and may not be relied upon. However I will appreciate if you can correct the mistakes I may have made in my analysis.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

BSchool Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 228 [0], given: 200

GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2017, 23:34
Hello All,

My doubt in this one is :
Is it allowed to use "a personal pronoun" (she - in this case) to refer to "a possessive noun" (Elizabeth's Success) ?

As per most of the courses following two rules are used for a pronoun :
1. the antecedent cannot be in the possessive form. and
2. a noun in the possessive can be the antecedent of a possessive pronoun

So how's this one true ...

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

Kudos [?]: 228 [0], given: 200

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 145

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 23:44
daagh wrote:
This is a simple test of idiom, ‘consider X Y’ first. Consider to be( A, C), consider as (B, E) are out. The survivor is D. Maybe, then you may think of wrong modification in C and wrong comparison in E.

Hi Daagh, consider X to be Y is a correct idiom as introduced in OG 2017. Below is the example. I have a query with the current problem in options A & D. Is it true The article "the" is incorrect because when comparing two objects, we use "a" rather than "the". So, based on that can we eliminate option A. Also, is the place of later wrongly placed in option A.
later Elizabeth Barrett Browning was overshadowed by his success. Should the sentence be Elizabeth Barrett Browning was later overshadowed by his success.

Example of consider X to be Y in OG 2017-
In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine ant has allowed the species to spread widely; due to their being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits the spread of this species in its native Argentina.

(A) due to their being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits

(B) due to its being so genetically similar the ant considers all its fellows to be a close relative and thus does not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limit

(C) because it is so genetically similar, the ant considers all its fellows to be a close relative and thus does not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits

(D) because they are so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be close relatives and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limit

(E) because of being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 145

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2017, 19:22

(A) Although she was considered among her contemporaries to be the better poet than her husband, later Elizabeth Barrett Browning was overshadowed by his success.
- "considered ... to be" = UNIDIOMATIC.

(B) Although Elizabeth Barrett Browning was considered among her contemporaries as a better poet than her husband, she was later overshadowed by his success.
- "considered ... as" = UNIDIOMATIC.

(C) Later overshadowed by the success of her husband, Elizabeth Barrett Browning's poetry had been considered among her contemporaries to be better than that of her husband.
- same as "A"

(D) Although Elizabeth Barrett Browning's success was later overshadowed by that of her husband, among her contemporaries she was considered the better poet.
- correct as is

(E) Elizabeth Barrett Browning's poetry was considered among her contemporaries as better than her husband, but her success was later overshadowed by his.
- same as "B"

not too bad of a problem at all; however, you need to drill the idiom: "Consider X, Y".
- any version of "consider ... to be" or "consider ... as" = INCORRECT

Kudos please if you find this helpful :)

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 569

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2017, 20:21
srikrishnans92 wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Review 2017

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 805
Page: 710

(A) Although she was considered among her contemporaries to be the better poet than her husband, later Elizabeth Barrett Browning was overshadowed by his success.

(B) Although Elizabeth Barrett Brwoning was considered among her contemporaries as a better poet than her husband, she was later overshadowed by his success.

(C) Later overshadowed by the success of her husband, Elizabeth Barrett Brwoning's poetry had been considered among her contemporaries to be better than that of her husband.

(D) Although Elizabeth Barrett Browning's success was later overshadowed by that of her husband, among her contemporaries she was considered the better poet.

(E) Elizabeth Barrett Browning's poetry was considered among her contemporaries as better than her husband, but her success was later overshadowed by his.

The answer is D
Split 1

Considered X Y is the correct idiom
Considered X to be Y , considered X as Y are wrong.

Split2

It was the success of Elizabeth Barrett Browning that was overshadowed

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 569

Re: Although she was considered among her contemporaries to be the better   [#permalink] 11 Sep 2017, 20:21

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 49 posts ] 

Although she was considered among her contemporaries to be the better

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap