GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Apr 2019, 11:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Although the people who live in India's villages

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 Nov 2014
Posts: 326
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Project Management (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User
Although the people who live in India's villages  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2016, 09:55
9
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

75% (00:53) correct 25% (01:09) wrong based on 417 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Although the people who live in India's villages and on the land are still very poor, the years since independence in 1947 have brought increased literacy, new roads, and have improved farming techniques in the hinterland

A and have improved farming techniques in the hinterland
B and improved farming techniques to the hinterland
C and in the hinterland farming techniques have improved
D and, in the hinterland, farming techniques that are improved
E and farming techniques have been improved in the hinterland
Retired Moderator
avatar
G
Joined: 26 Nov 2012
Posts: 591
Although the people who live in India's villages  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2016, 10:27
paidlukkha wrote:
Although the people who live in India's villages and on the land are still very poor, the years since independence in 1947 have brought increased literacy, new roads, and have improved farming techniques in the hinterland

A and have improved farming techniques in the hinterland
B and improved farming techniques to the hinterland
C and in the hinterland farming techniques have improved
D and, in the hinterland, farming techniques that are improved
E and farming techniques have been improved in the hinterland


Paidlukkha...are you sure that OA is B... E appears good.
Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3629
Reviews Badge
Re: Although the people who live in India's villages  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2016, 10:30
1
msk0657 wrote:
paidlukkha wrote:
Although the people who live in India's villages and on the land are still very poor, the years since independence in 1947 have brought increased literacy, new roads, and have improved farming techniques in the hinterland

A and have improved farming techniques in the hinterland
B and improved farming techniques to the hinterland
C and in the hinterland farming techniques have improved
D and, in the hinterland, farming techniques that are improved
E and farming techniques have been improved in the hinterland


Paidlukkha...are you sure that OA is B... E appears good.


No, E cannot be the answer.

OA answer mentioned is correct.

A and have improved farming techniques in the hinterland --> Implying the years have improved farming techniques. Incorrect. Also, Parallelism Error.
B and improved farming techniques to the hinterland --> Maintains Paralellism and conveys the correct meaning.
C and in the hinterland farming techniques have improved --> Parallelism Error
D and, in the hinterland, farming techniques that are improved --> Parallelism Error
E and farming techniques have been improved in the hinterland --> Parallelism Error
_________________
My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.
Retired Moderator
avatar
G
Joined: 26 Nov 2012
Posts: 591
Re: Although the people who live in India's villages  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2016, 10:53
abhimahna wrote:
msk0657 wrote:
paidlukkha wrote:
Although the people who live in India's villages and on the land are still very poor, the years since independence in 1947 have brought increased literacy, new roads, and have improved farming techniques in the hinterland

A and have improved farming techniques in the hinterland
B and improved farming techniques to the hinterland
C and in the hinterland farming techniques have improved
D and, in the hinterland, farming techniques that are improved
E and farming techniques have been improved in the hinterland


Paidlukkha...are you sure that OA is B... E appears good.


No, E cannot be the answer.

OA answer mentioned is correct.

A and have improved farming techniques in the hinterland --> Implying the years have improved farming techniques. Incorrect. Also, Parallelism Error.
B and improved farming techniques to the hinterland --> Maintains Paralellism and conveys the correct meaning.
C and in the hinterland farming techniques have improved --> Parallelism Error
D and, in the hinterland, farming techniques that are improved --> Parallelism Error
E and farming techniques have been improved in the hinterland --> Parallelism Error


OK...after reading more closely I got it..

Meaning : As per this sentence, there are three things that got after independence : increased literacy, new roads, and improved farming techniques.

The above three things have to be in list i.e. X,Y and Z is the list and all of them have to be in the same from.. and there should be comma preceding before the last item.

So B makes sense...I thought it's an independent clause after comma...
Retired Moderator
avatar
P
Joined: 04 Aug 2016
Posts: 486
Location: India
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Re: Although the people who live in India's villages  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2017, 03:46
Got confused with option B.

I thought that improved is acting as a verb in past tense form but it is not a verb here but an adjective.

All others don't maintain parallelism.

For option D, it is noun phrase || noun phrase || noun phrase

but the third phrase => farming techniques that are improved -- This is awkward and not precise. The phrase improved farming techniques is clean.

Thoughts?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Although the people who live in India's villages   [#permalink] 02 Aug 2017, 03:46
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Although the people who live in India's villages

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.