It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 13:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Am I Ineligible to Apply to Haas & MIT if I never took Calc or Stats?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Am I Ineligible to Apply to Haas & MIT if I never took Calc or Stats? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 17:39
I heard that Haas automatically rejects applicants from a non-quant background, if they haven't taken college level calc and stats. Is this true and still the case? Also, do any other MBA programs enforce this rule?

I graduated from Cornell with a 3.83 GPA in History, worked at Deloitte Consulting for 3 years, and got a 740 GMAT with 49Q. But I never took any real math in college, no calc or stats. I just took precalc senior year of HS first sem, and Calc second sem (although I blew it off and got like a C- lol).

If I want to apply to Haas, do I HAVE TO take calc and stats at a local community college or at an extension course? Or will I be good? Similarly, do any other top 16 MBA programs have this rule saying you can't apply if you haven't taken stats or calc? I'd assume MIT might have a similar rule.

Thanks!!

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

VP
VP
P

Kudos [?]: 296 [0], given: 165

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Am I Ineligible to Apply to Haas & MIT if I never took Calc or Stats? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 03:28
jayaliya333 wrote:
I heard that Haas automatically rejects applicants from a non-quant background, if they haven't taken college level calc and stats. Is this true and still the case? Also, do any other MBA programs enforce this rule?

I graduated from Cornell with a 3.83 GPA in History, worked at Deloitte Consulting for 3 years, and got a 740 GMAT with 49Q. But I never took any real math in college, no calc or stats. I just took precalc senior year of HS first sem, and Calc second sem (although I blew it off and got like a C- lol).

If I want to apply to Haas, do I HAVE TO take calc and stats at a local community college or at an extension course? Or will I be good? Similarly, do any other top 16 MBA programs have this rule saying you can't apply if you haven't taken stats or calc? I'd assume MIT might have a similar rule.

Thanks!!

Sometimes opening a communication with the adcom would be helpful in addressing those concerns. Even if it is true, they might suggest you some solution to overcome your concerns. You will get short and direct answer.

Kudos [?]: 296 [0], given: 165

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 17609 [0], given: 1986

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: Am I Ineligible to Apply to Haas & MIT if I never took Calc or Stats? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 07:52
I agree with Mo2men. Here is what is written on the Haas wesbite.

Quote:
Admissions Criteria
Professional Experience
The quality of an MBA program is immeasurably enhanced by the real-world business experience that students bring to the classroom. For this reason, most of our students have two or more years of full-time professional work experience following the completion of their undergraduate degree. More important, however, is the richness of that experience.

When reviewing applications, we are interested in the progression and milestones of your career, as well as your supervisor's assessment of your value as an employee and potential as a leader.

Academic Aptitude
Your past academic performance provides us with an indication as to whether you will be able to handle the academic rigor of our program. Candidates may apply to the program if they hold the equivalent of a four-year U.S. bachelor's degree and have not obtained an MBA or comparable degree from another institution. In reviewing your transcripts, we take into account your choice of coursework, the rigor of your undergraduate major, the competitiveness of your academic institutions, and your grade point average (GPA).

Although we do not have a minimum requirement, a GPA of B (3.0) or better is generally the standard for serious consideration. We also evaluate your performance on the GMAT (preferred) or GRE, and if required, the TOEFL or IELTS, to assess your ability to succeed academically in our program.

Quantitative Proficiency
The curriculum at Haas includes courses that have a qualitative focus and others that are more analytical and quantitative. All applicants should have completed, at a minimum, a college-level mathematics or statistics course. Haas faculty who teach quantitative courses will assume you have mastered the basic material. Therefore, the Admissions Committee looks carefully at quantitative proficiency when making its admissions decisions.

I do not think calculus or stats will be mandatory for any MBA program. I personally know someone who got into Haas with a Dean's fellowship with a social impact background and a development masters degree (I am not sure about her undergrad but was probably not super mathy). She did have a great GMAT and she was doing the mbaMath course.

So it is all about negating their woes about your quantitative abilities. Offset that with the GMAT and you should be good to go. Haas adcoms are terrific in their student outreach initiatives, so you should absolutely reach out with your specific case.

For Sloan - Same advice goes

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 17609 [0], given: 1986

Expert Post
Admissionado
G

Kudos [?]: 989 [0], given: 49

Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2017, 10:00
jayaliya333 wrote:

Thanks!!

Hello there!

I don't think this is true, and would be interested to hear where you got this from. Like most B-schools a good portion of Haas' incoming class (at least 1/3rd) is from non-STEM and non-Business backgrounds, and I would be very surprised if all these people took calc and stats.

From what I have seen, if there are good candidates from the humanities who lack the math background, sometimes the Adcom will ask a pre-req to starting the MBA program to accomplish a certain number of courses. But I haven't seen anything that would indicate you get an automatic KO if you haven't taken these courses.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Kudos [?]: 989 [0], given: 49

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 33

Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V48
GPA: 3.63

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2017, 18:42
Thanks everyone for the responses. I took psych stats in undergrad and got an A-. I figure that could count as a statistics course? Obviously I should reach out to the adcoms directly as well.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 33

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 246 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2017, 16:58
Great advice above...don't think this is an official requirement. Adsmissions aside it will probably help you to at least take an MBA Math or an online class in calc or stats prior to matriculating or even prior to applying. First year in b-school is fairly quant heavy so this would help you on multiple fronts. Also given you have strong academic and GMAT performance they will probably assume you will be able to handle the work

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 246 [0], given: 0

Re: Am I Ineligible to Apply to Haas & MIT if I never took Calc or Stats?   [#permalink] 03 Aug 2017, 16:58

Am I Ineligible to Apply to Haas & MIT if I never took Calc or Stats?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap