Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:55 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619011 [23]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [10]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: An oddly shaped die has N sides, numbered from 1 to N, that are equall [#permalink]
Kudos
P = 1 - P (no "1" in two throws)

P (no "1" in two throws) = \((\frac{N-1}{N})^2\)
=> \(P = 1 - (\frac{N-1}{N})^2\)

\(P = 1 - (\frac{N-1}{N})) * (1+(\frac{N-1}{N})) = \frac{2N-1}{N^2}\)

(1) N is prime
N=2, \(P = \frac{3}{4} (> \frac{1}{5})\)

N=7, \(P = \frac{13}{49} (> \frac{1}{5})\)

N=11, \(P = \frac{21}{121} (< \frac{1}{5})\)

Thus, (1) alone is INSUFFICIENT

(2) N>5
For N=7 & N = 11, we have two different possibilities, thus, (2) alone is INSUFFICIENT

(1) & (2) together are INSUFFICIENT as well since 7 & 11 are prime and >5 and yet present different possibilities.

Thus, Answer is E.

This method however, took me >3 min to solve the problem. Could anyone please suggest a shorter method?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: An oddly shaped die has N sides, numbered from 1 to N, that are equall [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi chetan2u,

You ask a good question; one that's rooted more in 'grammar' than 'math.'

Here, the modifier "oddly" describes the "shape" of the die, not the number of sides. This is the writer's way of saying "yes, it's weird that the die might have 2 or 3 sides, for example, instead of the standard 6 sides..."

If this were an Official GMAT question AND the description was meant to be about the NUMBER of sides, then the wording would likely have been "a die with an odd number of sides...." (or equivalent).

While wording on certain practice questions from GMAT Prep Companies will vary in quality and similarity to the Official material, the questions that are written by GMAC writers are always carefully crafted. One of the goals of those same writers is to remove all possibility of "bias" on the part of the reader.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619011 [1]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
An oddly shaped die has N sides, numbered from 1 to N, that are equall [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
An oddly shaped die has N sides, numbered from 1 to N, that are equally likely to appear on a throw. Let P be the probability that at least one “1” appears in two throws. Is P < (1/5)?

(1) N is a prime number
(2) N > 5

Kudos for a correct solution.

MAGOOSH OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

First of all, if the N sides are equally likely, the probability of getting “1” on a single throw, or any particular side on a single throw, is 1/N. The probability of not getting “1” on a single throw, or not getting any particular side, is (1 – 1/N) = (N – 1)/N.

For relatively low values of N, then getting “1” is relatively more likely, and getting something else is relatively less likely. As N gets bigger, the probability of getting “1” on a single throw decreases, and the probability of getting something else increase.

What really makes the difference in this probability is the size of N. This is an at least probability, so we calculate the probability of getting something other than one on two consecutive throws, and then subtract this from 1.

Statement #1: this statement is not very helpful. If N = 2, then essentially, the “two-sided die” is a coin, and if H = 1, then the probability of not getting a “1” is (1/2). The probability of not getting a “1” on two consecutive throws is (1/4). That’s the probability of getting no “1” on two throws. We subtract this from one to get the probability of at least one “1”: P = (3/4), which greater than 1/5. Answer to the prompt = “no.”

But, suppose N is larger. For easy of calculation, I will pick N = 15, even though 15 is not prime. If N = 15 produces a probability less than 1/5, then so will any prime number greater than 15.

If N = 15, then the probability of not getting a “1” on a single throw is 14/15. The probability of not getting a “1” on two consecutive throws is this squared, 196/225. If this is more than 4/5, then subtracting it from one will be less than 1/5. Well, 225/5 = 45, and 45 times 4 is 180. Thus, (180/225) = (4/5), and (196/225) > (4/5). Subtracting this from one will produce a probability less than 1/5. Answer to the prompt = “yes.”

This statement is consistent with different answers to the prompt question, so it does not lead to a definitive answer. This statement, alone and by itself, is not sufficient.

Statement #2: We have already seen that N = 15, or any number larger than that, produces a “yes” answer to the prompt. Is it possible to produce a “no” answer to with a value of N greater than 5?

I will use N = 7. The probability of not getting a “1” on a single throw is 6/7. The probability of not getting a “1” on two consecutive throws is this squared, 36/49. If this is less than 4/5, then subtracting it from one will be more than 1/5.

Well, clearly, 36/45 = 4/5, and making the denominator larger makes a fraction smaller, so

4/5 = 36/45 > 36/49. So, this fraction is less than 4/5, so subtracting it from one will result in a probability that is greater than 1/5. This gives a “no” answer to the prompt.

This statement is consistent with different answers to the prompt question, so it does not lead to a definitive answer. This statement, alone and by itself, is not sufficient.

Combined statements: As we saw in the previous statements, the prime number N = 7 gives a “no” answer, and the non-prime N = 15 gives a “yes” answer, which implies that any prime number greater than 15 (such as 17, 19, 23, etc.) would also give a “yes” answer. Different answers are possible even with the constraints of both statements. Together, both statements are still not sufficient.

Answer = (E)
Queens MBA Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 379 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Send PM
Hello @Bunnel, Thanks for the explanation however when i solved it i solved it in below way, which gave me definite answer.

Could you please correct me, where i am getting wrong.

Problem statement :
An oddly shaped die has N sides, numbered from 1 to N, that are equally likely to appear on a throw. Let P be the probability that at least one “1”
Let P(X) be the probability of getting 1,

My Attempt
Let P(X’) be the probability

P(X) = 1/N
P(X’) = 1 – (1/N) = (N-1)/N
Let P(Y) = probability of getting at least one “1”
P(Y) = P(One “1” and another no “1”) + P(Both 1)
P(y) = P(X)*P(X’) + P(X)*P(X) = {(1/N)*(N-1)/N) } + {(I/N) * (1/N)}
P(Y) = 1/N

Now question asks if P(Y) < 1/5
Can be further simplified to
1/N < 1/5
5 < N

So statement II, answers whether N is greater than 5 or not.
Please guide, where I am getting wrong.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16841 [1]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
vishwaprakash wrote:
Hello @Bunnel, Thanks for the explanation however when i solved it i solved it in below way, which gave me definite answer.

Problem statement :
An oddly shaped die has N sides, numbered from 1 to N, that are equally likely to appear on a throw. Let P be the probability that at least one “1”

My Attempt

P(X) = 1/N

P(Y) = 1/N

1/N < 1/5
5 < N

Dear vishwaprakash

The mistake you made was in the equation for P(Y).

The correct equation will be: P(Y) = P(1 on 1st throw and another number on 2nd throw) + P(another number on 1st throw and 1 on 2nd throw) + P(1 on both throws)

So, P(Y) = \(\frac{1}{N}*\frac{(N-1)}{N}\) + \(\frac{1}{N}*\frac{(N-1)}{N}\) + \(\frac{1}{N} * \frac{(1}{N)}\) = \(\frac{(2N-1)}{N^2}\)

Hope this helped! :)

Best Regards

Japinder
Queens MBA Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 379 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Send PM
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:
vishwaprakash wrote:

Problem statement :

My Attempt

P(X) = 1/N

P(Y) = 1/N

1/N < 1/5
5 < N

Dear vishwaprakash

The mistake you made was in the equation for P(Y).

The correct equation will be: P(Y) = P(1 on 1st throw and another number on 2nd throw) + P(another number on 1st throw and 1 on 2nd throw) + P(1 on both throws)

So, P(Y) = \(\frac{1}{N}*\frac{(N-1)}{N}\) + \(\frac{1}{N}*\frac{(N-1)}{N}\) + \(\frac{1}{N} * \frac{(1}{N)}\) = \(\frac{(2N-1)}{N^2}\)

Hope this helped! :)

Best Regards

Japinder

Hello @Japinder

Thanks for the explanation, I got my mistake. I forgot to consider one of the possibility.

Regards,
Vishwaprakash
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 863 [2]
Given Kudos: 565
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
An oddly shaped die has N sides, numbered from 1 to N, that are equall [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
An oddly shaped die has N sides, numbered from 1 to N, that are equally likely to appear on a throw. Let P be the probability that at least one “1” appears in two throws. Is P < (1/5)?

(1) N is a prime number
(2) N > 5

P(zero "1" appears in one throw) = \(\frac{N-1}{N}\)
P(zero "1" appears in two throws) = \(\left(\frac{N-1}{N}\right)^2\)

The original question: Is \(1-\left(\frac{N-1}{N}\right)^2<\frac{1}{5}\) ?

We can solve the above inequality and rephrase the question accordingly.

\(\frac{N^2-N^2+2N-1}{N^2}<\frac{1}{5}\)

\(10N-5<N^2\)

\(N^2-10N+5>0\)

\(N^2-10N+25-25+5>0\)

\((N-5)^2>20\)

\(|N-5|>2\sqrt{5}\approx 2\cdot 2.25=4.5 \implies\) N<0.5 OR N>9.5

Since N must be an integer greater than or equal to 1, the relevant part of the rephrased question is simple:
Is N>9.5 ?

1) We know that N is a prime. If N=7, then the answer to the rephrased question is No. However, if N=11, then the answer to the rephrased question is Yes. Thus, we can't get a definite answer to the rephrased question. \(\implies\) Insufficient

2) We know that N>5 and could test the same cases that we used to test 1). \(\implies\) Insufficient

1&2) Since we can use the same cases to prove that statement 1) and 2) are insufficient, 1&2) must also be insufficient. \(\implies\) Insufficient

Answer: E
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9244 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Using both statements, N can be huge. Then P will be minuscule, so P can be much less than 1/5. We'll get the largest value of P when N is as small as possible, i.e. when N = 7. Then the probability we don't get a '1' is (6/7)(6/7) = 36/49, and the probability we do is 13/49, which is greater than 13/50 = 0.26. So we can get yes and no answers to the question, and the answer is E.

I share chetan's objection to the phrase "oddly shaped", which someone might reasonably think is a phrase with a special but unfamiliar mathematical definition.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
oddly shaped= 3,5,7,9, etc.

Probability of 1 appears = [1- ( 1-n)/n*(1-n/n)]= 2n-1/n^2

1.) N = 2,3,5,7,11 etc.
not sufficient

2.) N>5
n can be 6,7,8,9 etc.

say n = 6; probability = 11/36 compare with 1/5( 7.xx/36)- P>lower
n = 7; probability = 13/49 compare with 9.8/49 p>(1/5)
n= 11; probability 21/121 compared with 1/5( 24.2/121) p<1/5
n = 100 ; probability = 199/10000 compare with 1/5( 2000/10000) p< 1/5

it is not always higher than 1/5
not Sufficient

1+2: 7,11
not sufficient
hence E
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Can someone explain why the probability for n = 7 is p = 13/49?

I got 1/7 x 6/7 = 6/49 <--- Probability of getting one on the first roll is 1/7 and "not one" on the second roll is 6/7

When I look at this probability it makes me think about the probability of NOT getting 1, rather than getting 1.

P(zero "1" appears in one throw) = N−1 / N
P(zero "1" appears in two throws) = (N−1/N)^2
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92915 posts