Last visit was: 27 Jul 2024, 00:12 It is currently 27 Jul 2024, 00:12
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 344 [1]
Given Kudos: 332
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 644223 [1]
Given Kudos: 86770
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [1]
Given Kudos: 222
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 74326 [0]
Given Kudos: 20635
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Around the World in 80 Questions - GMAT Competition Jul 17-28, 2023 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Saburjon wrote:
bb
kamalsharmam21
Sorry to bother you again, but I tried to figure out how many questions I solved during Competition day 2.
Competition day 2 started on 18 july 8 am pst and day 3 started at 8 am pst on 19 July. If you take a look at my error log between 22:07 18th July and 7:55 19th July , I had done 37 questions, not including competition questions, on GMATclub before the day 3 competition started.

Hi. Thank you for posting and it is a good question.
For the 30 bonus timers, we are using a calendar day or astronomical day (I guess) based on the US Pacific Time. So you can take 30 timers in 1 day to get the bonus. The time starts at midnight and ends right before midnight US Pacific Time (Daylight savings in Effect).

P.S. Interesting perspective to consider it a game day since questions post at 8 AM but we have not done it that way since in the past we sometimes posted questions 2x a day.
My recommendation is to switch your time zone to US Pacific time.
Also, note the timing of the bonus as outlined in the rules: https://gmatclub.com/forum/around-the-w ... html#rules - e.g. for 19th, the bonus posts at around 6:15 AM of the following day (so it should have posted about 45 mins ago)
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 74326 [0]
Send PM
Re: Around the World in 80 Questions - GMAT Competition Jul 17-28, 2023 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
0Lucky0 wrote:
bb, Thanks. :) The issue with the correctly answered questions points is resolved. :)
But, well, I got thrown off balance as I was thinking that those points wouldn't be counted and so I didn't put-in as much effort answering the questions today. :P hahaha
Missed the 50 points for my daily 30 questions as well. :(
But it's alright I guess. :) Will make up for it tomorrow. :) So all good. :)
I think the Kudos points are also real-time now as the points tally has changed considerably without the official answers being released?
Good news. :)

Hi. Great to hear and thanks for confirming! :thumbsup:

About the timers and explanations - they are actually not connected in terms of points. E.g. You can answer the question incorrectly, not get the timer points but then realize your mistake and post a correct explanation and you will get the 100 points for the kudos.

In terms of timing, yes, the kudos are real time, so you would basically know that you got it right or not right... logistically we have not found a good way around making them not real time.

-BB
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 74326 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
There is an amazing number of points, posts, and changes that's happening. I have been watching Lara Croft Team move points around in a matter of 15 mins. Notice the 2 screenshots taken just now and 15 mins ago. It seems a huge battle for spot #2! I don't know who to cheer for :cry:

Now:

Attachment:
day37am.jpg
day37am.jpg [ 40.59 KiB | Viewed 1272 times ]

15 Mins Ago:

Attachment:
15minsago.jpg
15minsago.jpg [ 39.63 KiB | Viewed 1283 times ]
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [0]
Send PM
bb wrote:
There is an amazing number of points, posts, and changes that's happening. I have been watching Lara Croft Team move points around in a matter of 15 mins. Notice the 2 screenshots taken just now and 15 mins ago. It seems a huge battle for spot #2! I don't know who to cheer for :cry:

Now:

Attachment:
day37am.jpg

15 Mins Ago:

Attachment:
15minsago.jpg

lol, Why would our team leader cheer for our Enemy? :P Phileas Fogg Ofcourse. :) Angelina Jolie's gonna lose. :)
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 644223 [0]
Given Kudos: 86770
Send PM
Expert Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:
0Lucky0 wrote:
bb, Thanks. :) The issue with the correctly answered questions points is resolved. :)
But, well, I got thrown off balance as I was thinking that those points wouldn't be counted and so I didn't put-in as much effort answering the questions today. :P hahaha
Missed the 50 points for my daily 30 questions as well. :(
But it's alright I guess. :) Will make up for it tomorrow. :) So all good. :)
I think the Kudos points are also real-time now as the points tally has changed considerably without the official answers being released?
Good news. :)

Hi. Great to hear and thanks for confirming! :thumbsup:

About the timers and explanations - they are actually not connected in terms of points. E.g. You can answer the question incorrectly, not get the timer points but then realize your mistake and post a correct explanation and you will get the 100 points for the kudos.

In terms of timing, yes, the kudos are real time, so you would basically know that you got it right or not right... logistically we have not found a good way around making them not real time.

-BB

Yea. :)

Well, I just found out something quite funny. :P So the correct timer points aren't actually being added by the system but are being physically added up by the mods according to kudos counts. :P hahahaha
I know this because today I have 5 Answers right but only 3 Kudos, basically because I wasn't in the best mood today so chose my second answer choice as the answer for some, thinking that those points wouldn't really be counted anyways so why not mess about. :P (The questions were quite easy and I could have gotten all 8 right but doesn't matter, all good. :))
It's ok though. :) The points are being counted and that's all that matters, so all good. :) Will Attempt the answers correctly according to my Kudos answers explanations today, or day 4, just to make sure I get the points so all good. :)
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 74326 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Awesome job pintukr, Nidza, Elite097, and Obscurus leading your teams! Keep it up :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Quick note for the top users:
Placement matters - your position will determine your choice of prizes at the end of the competition. e.g. if you are #6, you will be 6th in line to choose a prize. Being #8, you may not have the same options and opportunities for example, so the higher the ranking the better. At the same time, it also helpful to be a top 3 in your team. 😇

Good luck, may the best win.

-BB
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
bb wrote:
Awesome job pintukr, Nidza, Elite097, and Obscurus leading your teams! Keep it up :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Quick note for the top users:
Placement matters - your position will determine your choice of prizes at the end of the competition. e.g. if you are #6, you will be 6th in line to choose a prize. Being #8, you may not have the same options and opportunities for example, so the higher the ranking the better. At the same time, it also to be a top 3 in your team. 😇

Good luck, may the best win.

-BB

Yes!! :) Prizes. :heart :heart The good stuff. :P :cool:

For me, just the participation trophy is more than enough as I am largely just trying to see how many are ahead of me on here. :) That's all. :) For others, those prizes are certainly going to be a godsend, so It's good. :)
Thanks for this. :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [0]
Given Kudos: 1545
Concentration: General Management, Economics
WE:Human Resources (Human Resources)
Send PM
Hi,

Can someone please explain to me what're the criteria for getting kudos for the explanation? Am, still unable to understand. Is it the total discretion of the moderators? Anyone pls explain it to me?

Thanks!
Pooja
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 547 [0]
Given Kudos: 737
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GPA: 4
WE:Human Resources (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Hi team
On day 3 of the competition - I have not been awarded 20 points for correctly answering the questions eventhough I have received kudos from bunuel (the legend:) himself (by the way the majority of my kudos have been given by him ;)).
I am sharing the links of the questions:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/around-the-w ... 15716.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/around-the-w ... 15723.html

Please reconcile the points.
Regards
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Kudos
poojaarora1818 wrote:
Hi,

Can someone please explain to me what're the criteria for getting kudos for the explanation? Am, still unable to understand. Is it the total discretion of the moderators? Anyone pls explain it to me?

Thanks!
Pooja

Well, first, your answer has to be Correct! This is the most important part. If your answer isn't correct then no matter how great your explanation, you wouldn't get kudos.
Second, you need to give the solution for quant and for verbal you need to explain why the wrong answers are wrong as well.
To answer your last question, yes, it's upto the mods to decide whether you deserve a kudos or not and their decision is final. It's all written in the rules.
Good luck.

Originally posted by 0Lucky0 on 20 Jul 2023, 11:24.
Last edited by 0Lucky0 on 20 Jul 2023, 11:34, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
sivakumarm786 wrote:
Hi team
On day 3 of the competition - I have not been awarded 20 points for correctly answering the questions eventhough I have received kudos from bunuel (the legend:) himself (by the way the majority of my kudos have been given by him ;)).
I am sharing the links of the questions:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/around-the-w ... 15716.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/around-the-w ... 15723.html

Please reconcile the points.
Regards

Yea, I haven't been given about 90 points or so either for this exact same reason but I am not complaining because if everyone starts complaining about every single point then it's gonna be chaos so as the rules on the front page say: Mods decisions are final. If there is a major problem with the system then you can complain but otherwise, for 30-40 points, just let it be.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: Finance, General Management
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Hi Mods,

Just one quick question - will the points earned in this competition get added to our GMAT club points after the competition? My understanding is it won't so want to confirm.

Thanks!

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 547 [0]
Given Kudos: 737
Concentration: Technology, International Business
WE:Human Resources (Telecommunications)
Send PM
0Lucky0 wrote:
Yea, I haven't been given about 90 points or so either for this exact same reason but I am not complaining because if everyone starts complaining about every single point then it's gonna be chaos so as the rules on the front page say: Mods decisions are final. If there is a major problem with the system then you can complain but otherwise, for 30-40 points, just let it be.

Agree with you 0Lucky0.
But the aim is to know the mistake/error so that we don't commit it again and if the mods are in a position to point out the conclusive mistake then why not ask them. :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [0]
Given Kudos: 1545
Concentration: General Management, Economics
WE:Human Resources (Human Resources)
Send PM
0Lucky0 wrote:
poojaarora1818 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks!
Pooja

Well, first, your answer has to be Correct! This is the most important part. If your answer isn't correct then no matter how great your explanation, you wouldn't get kudos.
Second, you need to give the solution for quant and for verbal you need to explain why the wrong answers are wrong as well.
To answer your last question, yes, it's upto the mods to decide whether you deserve a kudos or not and their decision is final. It's all written in the rules.
Good luck.

Thank you so much for the clarification. And, Good Luck to you too. Hope you will win.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
sivakumarm786 wrote:
0Lucky0 wrote:

Agree with you 0Lucky0.
But the aim is to know the mistake/error so that we don't commit it again and if the mods are in a position to point out the conclusive mistake then why not ask them. :)

:) True. :) Please follow the discussion above. :) If you change your answer, you won't get correct answer points for the changed answer as the system isn't setup to count that. :) You will get the correctly answered question points equivalent to your kudos points. If there's a mismatch or any issue regarding this, there's no solution for that as of now. :) So the best solution for this problem is to not change your answer. :)

Originally posted by 0Lucky0 on 20 Jul 2023, 11:58.
Last edited by 0Lucky0 on 20 Jul 2023, 12:06, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
mialanknox wrote:
Hi Mods,

Just one quick question - will the points earned in this competition get added to our GMAT club points after the competition? My understanding is it won't so want to confirm.

Thanks!

Posted from my mobile device

No, they won't be. Your understanding is correct.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13