GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Dec 2019, 02:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

As it is with chemically synthesized sedatives, the use of herbal seda

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
S
WE: General Management (Consulting)
As it is with chemically synthesized sedatives, the use of herbal seda  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2019, 04:39
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

54% (01:18) correct 46% (01:26) wrong based on 170 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

As it is with chemically synthesized sedatives, the use of herbal sedatives needs to be judiciously regulated, as the slightest dependence on sedatives to produce an overly calm state may lead to severe depression.

(A) As it is with chemically synthesized sedatives, the use of herbal sedatives needs to be

(B) As is the case with chemically synthesized sedatives, the use of herbal sedatives needs to be

(C) As with the case of chemically synthesized sedatives, the use of herbal sedatives should be

(D) As chemically synthesized sedatives, so herbal sedatives should be used in a manner that is

(E) Like chemically synthesized sedatives, the use of herbal sedatives needs to be
Manager
Manager
B
Re: As it is with chemically synthesized sedatives, the use of herbal seda  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2019, 15:33
A. Incorrect. No correlation between "it is with" and "the use of herbal sedatives".
B. Correct.
C. Incorrect. "As with" is an incorrect way to compare.
D. Incorrect. Meaning of the sentence is misconstrued.
E. Incorrect. missing the condition of comparison on the first clause.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: As it is with chemically synthesized sedatives, the use of herbal seda  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2019, 10:26
Can someone explain why is E wrong? Is the word "like" wrong? why? Thank you!!!
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2019, 16:48
monicapastrana88 wrote:

Comparison is wrong
In E we are comparing drugs to "the use of......"

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
B
As it is with chemically synthesized sedatives, the use of herbal seda  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 02 Dec 2019, 03:33
Why’s C wrong? What’s the correct usage of “as with”?

Originally posted by rohitchayal on 02 Dec 2019, 02:01.
Last edited by rohitchayal on 02 Dec 2019, 03:33, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
D
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2019, 03:31
monicapastrana88 wrote:

E is guilty of wrong comparison. It compares chemically synthesized sedatives with the use . This does not make any sense.
I has to be apples to apples comparison.
VP
VP
D
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2019, 03:44
DealMakerOne wrote:
As it is with chemically synthesized sedatives, the use of herbal sedatives needs to be judiciously regulated, as the slightest dependence on sedatives to produce an overly calm state may lead to severe depression.

(A) As it is with chemically synthesized sedatives, the use of herbal sedatives needs to be

(B) As is the case with chemically synthesized sedatives, the use of herbal sedatives needs to be

(C) As with the case of chemically synthesized sedatives, the use of herbal sedatives should be

(D) As chemically synthesized sedatives, so herbal sedatives should be used in a manner that is

(E) Like chemically synthesized sedatives, the use of herbal sedatives needs to be

Hello GMATNinja

How are you?

I have some doubts regarding his question. Here they are:

1) If I have " the case " in A would it make A correct.
2) Can I have it in B. Would B still be correct
3) Why C is incorrect. Is it because of "with" or is there meaning error.

I got this question correct but i am not satisfied of the splits that I looked for solving this question. Please also elaborate the uses of with and when the sentence with "with " is correct.
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2019, 17:37
arvind910619 wrote:
DealMakerOne wrote:

Hello GMATNinja

How are you?

I have some doubts regarding his question. Here they are:

1) If I have " the case " in A would it make A correct.
2) Can I have it in B. Would B still be correct
3) Why C is incorrect. Is it because of "with" or is there meaning error.

I got this question correct but i am not satisfied of the splits that I looked for solving this question. Please also elaborate the uses of with and when the sentence with "with " is correct.

rohitchayal
"With the case of sedatives"
As must be followed by clause or prepositional phrase
When it starts with prepositional phrase than that preposition must refer to the noun which is making sensible comparison

But in this case with is referring to to "case of sedatives" which is actually not the correct comparison
For further clarification u can refer to "Thursday with ron"
https://youtu.be/slDk7ftGoY8
At around time 1:13:00

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2019, 21:11
why "as is" in B is cosidered right answer and why not C "as with"
GMAT Club Bot
Re: As it is with chemically synthesized sedatives, the use of herbal seda   [#permalink] 02 Dec 2019, 21:11

As it is with chemically synthesized sedatives, the use of herbal seda

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics