It is currently 18 Jan 2018, 00:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask Fortuna Admissions

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Ask Fortuna Admissions [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2017, 15:46
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I have an issue and I am wondering how it will affect me down the road. I graduated with a fairly low cumulative GPA (3.08). After starting my first job, I began 2 non-degree courses in accounting at a local college (4 year). I took one in person and one online. Long story short I had some serious issues with the online course and I made a D in it. I am wondering how bad of an impact this could have on me later if I apply for an MBA program several years down the line. I am currently accepted into a MS Accounting program and will be attending it soon. So I will take the class again and in person which will help.

Any thoughts on my situation, and any potential implications?

Thanks,
-Steve

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 1

Re: Ask Fortuna Admissions [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2017, 11:57
Hi StudentSteve

Should be fine as long as you address it in your application - for example in your optional essay question (most schools offer this) you can speak to why the low grades, plus validate how you have the skills to keep up with the school's rigorous academics. And really focus on getting a strong GMAT score to compensate. If gmat is low as well as undergrad then it might be tough to get in. That's great that you will be 're-taking' this course - shows you are committed and will further validate your academics.

Best,

-Melissa and the Fortuna Admissions Team

Melissa Jones | Fortuna Admissions - a dream team of former Admissions Directors from the world's top business schools

Interested in a free 30-minute admissions consultation? Sign up on our website http://www.fortunadmissions.com.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 15

GPA: 4
WE: Brand Management (Retail)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2017, 05:19
Hello Melissa,

Kindly review my profile and share your valuable inputs.

Profile: I completed my graduation in Fashion designing from one of the top 3 colleges in Asia in 2014 with a CGPA of 7.43. I have been working with the biggest apparel organization in India for past 4 years. Have a healthy work experience across 2 different roles.

Extra-curricular: I am a national level athlete and I am regularly involved in different sports.
Have also won national level quiz competitions. Have been involved with couple of NGOs during my college days.

GMAT (Oct’2017) : 700 (Q-50, V-34, IR-8, AWA-5).

Areas of interest : 1) General Management, 2) Marketing

I need your help in deciding which colleges I should apply.

Should I target US B schools for either R2 this year or R1 next year ? Employment after completing MBA is an important criterion to decide which schools to apply. From few current students I have heard really negative reviews regarding job scenario for international MBA students in US. The situation is not bright in even top 15 colleges. Under the current geo-political situation, will it be a viable option to try for any US school?

With my profile, should I apply in NUS and INSEAD? What are the job scenarios post MBA in Singapore?

Also, I will be looking for a scholarship. Earlier I was targeting top 15 US B schools. Though my profile is extremely unique, my GMAT score is on a lower side. Being from India would go against me. Are there any colleges in top 15 where I can expect admission with scholarship?

I am okay to give GMAT again and if required then wait for one year before applying.

My first shortlist of colleges is below. Should I apply to any of these colleges in R2?
1. Kellogg,
2. Ross,
3. Fuqua,
4. NUS, and
5. ISB

Kindly review my case. Also please let me know if you need any other input to review my candidature. Thanks!

Manager
Manager
B

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2017, 10:42
Hi Melissa,

Kindly revert. Waiting for your reply.

Expert Post
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2017, 11:26
Hi Somnath1234,

Thanks for reaching out. You've got an interesting background that could be quite appealing for the top MBA programs. As an indian candidate you definitely need to have a very high gmat score for the top 15 schools. What percentiles do you have in quant and verbal? It's quite challenging to say what schools to go for without a full review of your background, accomplishments, etc so would you consider setting up a free consultation on the phone with us? It would be much more detailed than in a chat and we could give you much more guidance, particularly after we've seen your CV. Hope this is ok as you've got a lot of questions! www.fortunaaadmissions.com/free-consultation
As a side note though Kellogg is definitely the way to go if you want to focus on Marketing - but also the schools in NYC would be a great fit if you wish to continue in fashion. Not sure of your short/long term goals. Hope to hear from you! I assure you you will get a lot of our call - I would suggest to speak with Matt.

Melissa Jones | Fortuna Admissions - a dream team of former Admissions Directors from the world's top business schools

Interested in a free 30-minute admissions consultation? Sign up on our website http://www.fortunadmissions.com.

Manager
Manager
B

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2017, 11:32
FortunaAdmissionsMJ wrote:
Hi Somnath1234,

Thanks for reaching out. You've got an interesting background that could be quite appealing for the top MBA programs. As an indian candidate you definitely need to have a very high gmat score for the top 15 schools. What percentiles do you have in quant and verbal? It's quite challenging to say what schools to go for without a full review of your background, accomplishments, etc so would you consider setting up a free consultation on the phone with us? It would be much more detailed than in a chat and we could give you much more guidance, particularly after we've seen your CV. Hope this is ok as you've got a lot of questions! http://www.fortunaaadmissions.com/free-consultation
As a side note though Kellogg is definitely the way to go if you want to focus on Marketing - but also the schools in NYC would be a great fit if you wish to continue in fashion. Not sure of your short/long term goals. Hope to hear from you! I assure you you will get a lot of our call - I would suggest to speak with Matt.

I got Q50 and V34. I agree. A consultation call will be a good idea to start with. I have read really good reviews about Matt online. Do you guys provide service for Asian colleges ?

Expert Post
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2017, 06:19
Somnath1234 Yes absolutely - but only MBA programs.

Best,

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2018, 13:53
This post received
KUDOS
Hi. I am considering doing an mba and I would be most grateful for any feedback on my profile.

Background and nationality: British national (parents from pakistan but I have only ever been a British national.)

Education: Masters in math (MSc degree) from a top 20 ranked university in UK. Achieved 65% overall. I got 87% in my thesis.
The big downside to my application is my undergraduate degree. I did it at a very low ranked university in the uk and I only got a 2:2. My undergraduate was also in maths.

GMAT: 780

Work experience and leadership:
Since graduating I did an internship and then worked for a management consulting firm in the Strategy and Research Division. I then did an internship for the European Space Agency. After this I interned at a boutique bank in the Investment Banking Division.
For the last year and a half I have been working for the Government. I have been delivering and implementing government policy at the front line.

Community and others:
I am a personal advisor to the CEO of a very well-known management consulting firm in London. I do this around my Government job.
I have recently co-founded a charity which I am in the process of launching. It has got the relevant backing and should start gaining traction very soon.

My target schools are Harvard, Wharton and MIT.

I would be most grateful for an evaluation of my chances.

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 1

Expert Post
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2018, 10:42
Hi seekingmba93 , Thanks for reaching out...apologies for the delay but Fortuna has been on holiday!

You've got a very interesting profile and seems well suited for the 3 schools you mention. I wouldn't worry about your undergrad as your gmat is outstanding and will compensate for the low undergrad (what are your percentiles for the quant and verbal?). Was there a particular factor that contributed to lower grades in undergrad? Eg something personal going on? If so, this is something you can validate in the schools' optional essays.

From what I can see you you've got great work experience, extra curriculars and accomplishments. I would need to learn more though to fully assess your chances for these top schools. Any chance you'd like to speak and do a 30 minute (free) consultation? Matt, on our team who is really great at assessing your chances would gladly speak with you after he's seen your CV and will ask you more about your leadership experience and other accomplishments.. You can sign up at http://www.fortunaadmissions.com/free-consultation

Hope to hear from you!
Melissa

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2018, 13:59
Great thanks for the feedback

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Ask Fortuna Admissions   [#permalink] 05 Jan 2018, 13:59

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   [ 110 posts ] 

Ask Fortuna Admissions

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap