GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2019, 07:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Ask Fortuna Admissions

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Re: Ask Fortuna Admissions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2019, 07:49
Hi, FortunaAdmissionsMJ would really appreciate any feedback on my application!

Background:
Nationality: Venezuelan
Work Experience: 5 years
GMAT: 700 (48Q, 38V, 8IR, 4AWA)
Undergrad major: Business (top 15%), the Accounting (top 15%) both at UCAB (one of the best schools in Venezuela)
Masters degree in Finance at IESA (the most prestigious graduate institution in Venezuela)

Work Experience:
- 1 year as a financial analyst at a LATAM e-commerce company when it was beginning its operations in Venezuela.

I managed the cash flow of the company, delivered appropiate financial statements (organized the financial information so that a big 4 auditing firm delivered an unqualified opinion), kept track of COD and Marketplace sales and analyzed POS sales to prevent frauds.

Then I left to Paris for a semester to study e-commerce and came back to Venezuela and got my second degree (accounting).

Started working at a company that does house flipping in the south of Florida as the administrative and accounting manager, a job I held for almost 3 years.
Here I had to keep track of the ROI of every investment and support every project with their projections. Kept track of the financial statements and developed the marketing strategy.
Managed a team of two people, one marketing analyst, and one accounting analyst.

In the meantime, I pursued my degree in Finance and got an opportunity to work as a trader at a major wealth management firm in Venezuela, where I have been since (2 years now).

I oversee approximately 800MM of AUM, and develop strategies focused on each client's risk and return objectives. Along with my team, we deliver a monthly presentation on our outlook of the economy and the markets.

Even though I haven't spent time at an NGO, I have been teaching Finance at my alma mater for undergrads in business and accounting for two years now, a job that's known in Venezuela as some sort of volunteering job because the pay is insignificant.

Other accomplishments:
CFA level 1 passed
Series 7 license
Recognized as one of the best professors at UCAB (2018)
Recognized as a glocal student (a student that thinks globally and acts locally) two times (2013, 2015)
Won the best delegation at the Latin American Model of United Nations (2013) - My committee was the only francophone committee
Elected as the faculty member at the UCAB's Business School Council (2012-213)

Took the GMAT for the first time in 2016 (640, V35-Q42, IR7, AWA 5.0)
Took it again recently (700, V38-Q48, IR8, AWA 4.0)

Target Schools & Goals:
Schools: HBS, GSB, Wharton, Booth, MIT (all round 1)
Immediate Post-MBA Goals: Join a PE, VC or hedge fund
Long term Post-MBA Goals: Come back to Venezuela to disrupt the financial industry with the tools acquired in my previous experience.

Questions:
- Will my low AWA score on the GMAT hurt my chances of getting in my target schools? Should I retake the GMAT?
- Do my short term-long term post-MBA goals make sense to AdComs?
- I have about two months to take the TOEFL, write my essays and get my recommendation letters if I plan on applying on R1. Should I plan on applying to R2 instead or will this severely hurt my chances of getting in?
- Would AdComs committees consider my teaching experience as volunteering? (To add a little context, the monthly wage could buy me a fast food lunch)
- Any specific recommendations or something I should focus on?

Thanks a lot for your comments!
Fortuna Admissions Consultant
B
Re: Ask Fortuna Admissions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2019, 16:23
Hi jagp20,

You have a really neat profile and some things stand out as unique and will grab the attention of ad coms.
Two months can definitely be enough time to apply for R1 now that most schools have opened their apps and released essays. Plus Toefl. Since you are aiming for the top schools, your gmat score worries me a bit as it's definitely much lower than the average. I think if you really want to get into the top schools you should re-write and apply in R2 to give you more time. Though it's hard to just say 're-write' without really knowing more about you. I strongly encourage you to give Fortuna a call for a free consultation and from there, after reviewing your CV and getting to know you better, we would be able to better gauge if you should re-write. It's all about a well rounded candidacy. The fact that you are from Venezuela too is a big differentiator as there aren't as many people from V that apply to these b-schools. So that will work well in your favor and the fact that you want to go back to your country is great - so your short term/long term goals bode well (as long as you justify why this path in your application and if it's really achievable).
And yes you could definitely use your teaching as volunteering, extra curriculars.

We hope to hear from you as you have a very interesting profile! Either way, good luck with everything!

Melissa Jones | Fortuna Admissions - a dream team of former Admissions Directors from the world's top business schools

Interested in a free 30-minute admissions consultation? Sign up on our website http://www.fortunadmissions.com.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Ask Fortuna Admissions   [#permalink] 12 Jul 2019, 16:23

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   [ 142 posts ] 

Ask Fortuna Admissions

new topic post reply Update application status