GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Jan 2019, 04:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Round 3 vs Next Year: When Should You Apply?

January 16, 2019

January 16, 2019

10:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

Learn what distinguishes Round 3 from other rounds and how to assess your profile to decide when to apply to b-school in this live webinar! Wednesday, Jan 16th at 10AM PST / 1PM ET
  • 4 Tips for Interviews

January 18, 2019

January 18, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

4 tips that will help you prepare for MBA interviews

Ask Fortuna Admissions

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Ask Fortuna Admissions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2018, 09:39
Hi Fortuna Admissions,

I would like to request a suggestion/opinion on a confusion I am facing. One of the B-School Forum Moderators suggested that I reach out to you for help as you people have a rich experience in the MBA admissions process.
I received an admit from a business school in Georgia, USA with a full scholarship and stipend/graduate assistantship. Therefore, I asked other two MBA schools for which my decision was pending after the interview if it is possible to provide my application decision sooner as I already have a decision in hand and wish to make an informed decision before paying out the enrollment fee. The schools reverted with a request to send them a copy of "Admission Letter" and "Scholarship Letter" before taking the case to the Admissions Committee for decisions.
Now, I am little confused whether to provide the letters or details such as the name of program, amount, the deadline for payment, etc. to those schools. I am not sure whether this would put my only admit into jeopardy or help me.
Kindly advise. Hope to hear from you soon.
Fortuna Admissions Consultant
B
Re: Ask Fortuna Admissions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2018, 12:45
Hi there,
Thank you for asking this question, and congrats on your acceptance!
To be brief, our quick answer is that this will not put the existing offer in jeopardy, and we would recommend sharing the requested info.
It sounds like you are well on your way to an MBA, but should you need any last minute coaching from our pros, we do offer a la carte hourly advice if you still find yourself questioning how to choose schools. Best of luck!
https://fortunaadmissions.com/services/a-la-carte

Fortuna Admissions.

-Melissa and the Fortuna Admissions Team

Melissa Jones | Fortuna Admissions - a dream team of former Admissions Directors from the world's top business schools

Interested in a free 30-minute admissions consultation? Sign up on our website http://www.fortunadmissions.com.

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Accounting

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2018, 22:07
I wish to apply in the round 3 of us schools my back ground is as below. Please do let me know on my chances / ur thots.

Nationality -indian
Gender female
Age- just turned 29 in November
Completed chartered accountancy in 2011cleared all level in a single attempt. Worked with a proprietary firm CA till 2013.

There after joined PWC in direct taxes. Worked there for 3 years. Got an award there.

Joined a venture capital in transaction advisory role for their startup investmwnts
Worked here for 1.5 years.

Currently joined as senior manager finance heading the entire financial aspect in the start up ( which uses artificial intelligence and alternate data to develop lending products for financial institutions).

The reason I wanted to work with the start up was to gain vertical depth with a start up in the deep tech space.

I wanted to apply in round 2 but due to my job change and the entire restructuring within the current org

I wanted to work on my GMAT and the application and give my best shot in round 3.

I am also a co-founder of a business development and market research company for companies in China and Korea who want to capture the Indian markets. This was started in April 2018.

Please do let me know if I can wait up to round 3 for making an applicationto good us b schools.

PS I had an offer from a mid market ibanking company which would be more stable than a start up But I felt the startup would be a better fit for me as longer term I would want to make my career in venture capital ± I do feel this will also help in distinguishing my profile at the US schools.

Look fwd to hearing from you.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V48
GPA: 3.66

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2018, 13:19
Dear Fortuna Admissions,

Thank you for your time! Originally, I was planning to wait until the fall of 2019 to apply to MBA programs to build up my work experience; however, I figured that applying to some programs this year would be a good way to get a feel for the application process (and perhaps get accepted to one of my top choice schools).

I chose to apply to Yale and Northwestern this fall, and got denied at Northwestern and waitlisted at Yale after an interview. I am not yet applying to any Round II schools, and I'm planning to enroll in the HBX CORe program in January to help strengthen my position on Yale's waitlist. (I expect to get my CORe results back in mid-April, which would fall after Yale's round II decision date (April 2) but before the round III date (May 21).

An overview of my background/experience:
27 y/o white American male
3.66 GPA (magna cum laude) from a top-5 LAC; graduated in 2013
Graduated from a Master of Social Work Program earlier this year and working full-time at a Catholic social services organization in Indiana
780 on the GMAT (Q50, V48, AW 6.0, IR 8) (took the GMAT in November 2016)
Work experience: worked for 1.5 years as an AmeriCorps VISTA member prior to grad school. I researched and gave presentations on unaccompanied child migration from Central America. I started my current position as a counselor in June 2018, so I will have about 2.5 years of work experience if I matriculate in 2019, and 4.5 years if I matriculate in 2020.
(I also spent a year in a religious order, and although I wouldn't really count it as work experience, I figure I should put it on my resume so schools aren't wondering what I did the year after I graduated from college.)
As I mentioned above, I am planning to enroll in the HBX CORe program in order to gain a background in finance, microeconomics, and analytics. I believe this coursework will help demonstrate to schools that I am prepared to take on MBA-level quantitative coursework.

Intern/volunteer experience: The MSW program involved about 1,000 hours of field experience. I interned at a mental health center for the first half of those hours, and for the second half, I interned at a homeless services agency in DC. I also interned at a men's transitional home in the summer of 2016, and worked on a project to assess residents' perspectives on the program. I also spent 3 months living and working with immigrants from Central America at a shelter in Houston back in 2013.

I am greatly enjoying my work as a counselor. However, I am ultimately hoping to pursue an MBA so that I can transition to nonprofit management. My goal is to help nonprofits grow and develop so that they can better serve their clients. Following graduation, my plan would be to work as the director of development for a medium-sized social services nonprofit, or as an associate director at a larger social services nonprofit.

Here are some questions I have at this time:

1. I would love ask Yale and Northwestern for feedback on my applications this year, as this could help boost my chances of acceptance the following year (or getting off the waitlist at Yale). Would it be a bad idea to reach out to them directly for feedback? I'm guessing the areas that I most need to strengthen are my work experience and quantitative background, but getting some confirmation on their end would be much appreciated.

2. Do you have any guesses about my chances of possibly getting off the waitlist at Yale after completing the CORe program? I imagine this is hard to answer, as the odds must change a lot from year to year.

3. I am greatly enjoying working at a Catholic nonprofit, and I hope to continue serving at a Catholic organization following my MBA studies. With this in mind, I have been thinking about Notre Dame and Georgetown, as both are Catholic universities that I believe will offer a solid nonprofit management education and a great career network. In fact, I have even been considering submitting an application to one or both of these schools for Round II of this year. What advice would you give about that option? Part of me feels it would be more prudent to wait until next year to apply (especially because I am still on the Yale waitlist).

4. If I don't get off Yale's waitlist, and if I don't apply to any schools for round II, then my plan would be to apply to a number of schools next year (ideally before the round I deadlines). Here is my list for round I 2019 applications at this point. I would appreciate any feedback you might have on my chances and on my goodness of fit for each program. I'm certainly open to adding other schools, but that may require taking some off this list (at least for Round I).
I recognize that applying to 8 schools in one round is a lot of work, but I think the deadlines for these schools will fit together pretty well, and I'll be able to start working on essays during the summer. I'm open to shifting to a 2-round plan, though.

1. Columbia (would apply ASAP to benefit from the rolling admissions process)
2. Yale
3. Northwestern
4. Michigan
5. Duke
6. Notre Dame
7. Georgetown
8. Harvard

Thank you in advance for your feedback!
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2018, 07:35
prvarm24,

Thank you for your inquiry. Sounds like you've had a great career with strong accomplishments/career progression in your field. It indeed helps if you've won awards so that is something to highlight in your form.

Coming from the Indian applicant pool, you definitely want to aim for a high gmat score, well above the 700 range.

As for R3 for US schools, I would advise against it, especially coming from your competitive applicant pool. I would suggest to hold off to R1 for the next rounds. R3 is VERY difficult to get into as most spots are filled.

Good luck
Melissa

Melissa Jones | Fortuna Admissions - a dream team of former Admissions Directors from the world's top business schools

Interested in a free 30-minute admissions consultation? Sign up on our website http://www.fortunadmissions.com.

B

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2018, 07:48
U5UWZLP5,

Hi there and thanks for reaching out.
Wow sounds like you have a very cool profile and is quite unique for business school - which for sure would make you stand out and contribute to the diversity each school is looking for. Sorry to hear about Kellogg but that's great news about being Yale - I know it's not exactly the result you are looking for but I wouldn't give up hope yet as they clearly like your profile.
Here are a few things I would suggest (and unfortunately the schools will not provide you with feedback):
• Confirm to the school that you accept a spot on the waitlist, and reiterate your commitment to the school. Make this communication in a positive tone; don’t let the disappointment (or worse, any resentment) shine through. The word ‘disappointed’ should not show up in this discussion.
• I would follow up with your interviewer and send them an update on your situation and ask them for any feedback and suggestions. While they may not be able to tell you why (and they may well not know) they can share with you some insights about your discussion and their sense of your fit with the school.
• What can you do to strengthen your profile? Can you seek a project at work that will give you a good story to tell in an update to admissions? Can you strengthen any extra curricular engagement? Can you get an additional letter of support? What works well is if it’s from a member of the school community – a student or alum. Do you have a close connection with anyone? If not, perhaps someone that can write from a totally different angle than your 2 main recommenders. That can speak to other qualities. A one page email would be sufficient. But don’t be tempted to inundate the admissions office with additional letters (as this can backfire and get you a reputation of a burden). There is also no point in sending in additional letters saying more or less exactly what has already been said about you.
• Keep in touch with the school and your admissions contact (but not too often eg once per month is enough). Keep the school updated re any new info about your profile- new results, work abroad, managing others, extra curriculars at work, etc.
• Don’t make all these communications email only; try to speak to your admissions contact occasionally as well. Personal touches help to keep you on their radar.
• It may not be so convenient but what about visiting the campus again? This could help and show commitment to the school. Plus you could even have this conversation with your admissions contact in person.
• On the flip side, please start to think about next steps – what is your plan B if this doesn’t work out? So yes I would apply to georgetown and ND as they would be great fits for you. And yes if you can hold off, I would wait until R1 if Yale is your number one. It could be quite a while until they tell you if you are accepted/denied from waitlist.

One thing Fortuna can offer is a review of your previous application to see where things might have 'gone wrong' Click here for some details. https://fortunaadmissions.com/services/ You will see a 'waitlist' and 'rejected applicant' strategy service.

Sounds like you have a lot of questions but overall your profile seems to fit the criteria for all the schools - great work experience/leadership exp, lots of extra curricular/volunteering commitments, an amazing GMAT with strong GPA. But if you want to talk with us in more depth to go over your profile, I would sign up here and email us requesting to speak with Matt on our team - he's awesome at these consultations. https://fortunaadmissions.com/free-consultation/

Good luck with everything
Melissa

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Accounting

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2018, 08:53
Thanks Ask Fortuna Admissions Hey what about lbs round 3 . And if I do apply to lbs are there possibilities for scholarship.

also do u think I should take up the start up finance role or the midmarket I banking role

What is better from lbs and insead perspective.....

Also to add I have started volunteering with a social impact start up which makes pseudo-laptops for blind which enables them to read / surf the internet in a braille format. Learning to use the machine takes 2-3 days for any individual and I help in the learning and creating awareness for the same. (reason for me to do this is that I am high myopic and am sensitive to this cause)

quote="FortunaAdmissionsMJ"]prvarm24,

Thank you for your inquiry. Sounds like you've had a great career with strong accomplishments/career progression in your field. It indeed helps if you've won awards so that is something to highlight in your form.

Coming from the Indian applicant pool, you definitely want to aim for a high gmat score, well above the 700 range.

As for R3 for US schools, I would advise against it, especially coming from your competitive applicant pool. I would suggest to hold off to R1 for the next rounds. R3 is VERY difficult to get into as most spots are filled.

Good luck
Melissa[/quote]

Posted from my mobile device
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2018, 09:40
prvarm24,

R3 is totally fine for LBS and INSEAD - though you will have less opps for scholarships (some will be taken by R3 but not all). In terms of career, both follow a similar path so it really comes down to what you really want! I wouldn't take it based on what the MBA wants to hear but what you really want to do.

Hope that helps
Melissa

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V48
GPA: 3.66

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2018, 18:34
Thank you very much for your prompt and detailed response! I will certainly inform Yale of my plans to enroll in the HBX Core program. I know that these courses will also help strengthen my profile for the upcoming year. Have a wonderful holiday season!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Ask Fortuna Admissions &nbs [#permalink] 17 Dec 2018, 18:34

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   [ 129 posts ] 

Ask Fortuna Admissions

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap