GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Jun 2018, 07:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask Personal MBA Coach

new topic post reply Update application status  
Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Re: Ask Personal MBA Coach [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2018, 13:44
data wrote:
Greetings!

I am planning to apply for MBA program in next year, I need to evaluate my profile and will be thankful if you'll help me with that!

My brief profile:
Nationality - Georgia
Age- 27
Sex - M
Bachelor's Degree - Business Administration

Work experience - 7 years
Including global insurance company (Vienna Insurance Group) as a head of sales group
launched my company which was selling building materials
Was Plenipotentiary representative in matters related to the Black Sea Port projects of Georgia
Business adviser to head of economic development office at Tbilisi city hall (capital of Georgia)
Head of financial and economic office (at one of the city hall's NNLE)
shareholder of the company which is trading different infrastructure materials
I was leading several analytic groups during the elections for certain political party.

Have great references (including politicians; CEOs of financial institutes e.t.c.)

I have not taken GMAT test yet, but planning to get from 650-700

Main problem for me is my GPA, which is 2.63. the reason, I had some problems in my family during my student life.

My target MBA schools are: IE, IESE, ESADE, Oxford (Said), Cambridge (judge).

Also I am not looking for scholarships, I can finance my tuition fees by my self (I do not know if it will help me)

So please can you tell me if I have chances to get admission in one of these schools with this low GPA?

Thanks!

Thank you for your detailed quote. We just finished working with someone from Georgia and I can tell you that the background will help your applications to some extent. I also like that you have multiple side experiences while maintaining a focus at work. How many people do you manage now?

That said the low GPA will be tough to overcome and to do so you will need to have a high GMAT. I suggest that you buckle down and prepare as well as consider tutoring (we are happy to help so inquire if you are interested). A score in the 600s combined with a low GPA would make it tricky at some of these schools. I suggest targeting north of 700 to try to offset the GPA. If you can do that then this is a good list to start with. I may add to the list to maximize your chances overall.

Reach out if you want to explore further.

Best,
Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2018, 02:05
Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2018, 07:40
piyush1995 wrote:

Piyush,

I replied on that thread, but I am also pasting it here. You have a strong academic background so once you build up the work experience you would be competitive at top schools!

Piyush,

Thank you for the detailed information. I know you requested that I respond to this one offline, so here are my thoughts!

1) I am thinking of applying for 2019 (Intake) MBA batch and will have 2 years work ex at the time joining the school. Is this strategy sound? Should I try waiting for a few more years ? Being in a software industry(less likely to be promoted even at the time of application of 2020 intake) I don't think if waiting for one more year is going to have a major impact on my profile. Any thoughts ?

I would wait to get a bit more experience. You ideally want to have at least a couple years of full-time consistent work experience at one company, though three helps more. Keep in mind the average is five. From what I see you have some internships to date and some Samsung experience.

2) Indian IT Male usually have lower likelihood of getting accepted. Samsung research is pretty good, atleast in my opnion(ranks #15 in Fortune 500), however the IT background might kill my application. What all methods I can use to overcome this drawback ? Should I try changing my industry ?

This is a bit more of a complicated question as it gets to overall profile crafting and story development. On the surface, you can still succeed from this role because your stats are strong. Now can you improve the profile with another job? Sure this can be done. It depends on the overall plan and the likelihood of getting another role though. You also want to balance that with moving around as you ideally don't want to jump from job to job and then apply to school.

3) Which schools should I aim for ? Please classify the schools into 3x2 (Safe , Moderate , Reach) and (Scholarship, No Scholarship) . I am thinking of either choosing top 5 or one of top 5-20 on the basis of scholarship offered.

Part of this would honestly depend upon your work development at Samsung, so without seeing that it is a bit tough to list specific schools. However your strategy of going for schools from top 5-20 is a very sound strategy and then letting scholarships perhaps influence the decision. Good luck and if you want help with further early planning, see below for how we can help!
https://www.personalmbacoach.com/early-mba-planning

Best,
Scott

Personal MBA Coach

Manager
Manager
P
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Ask Personal MBA Coach [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2018, 00:48
Hi Team,

Wanted to get some perspective on a dilemma I am facing.
I am looking to apply to INSEAD, IE and Kellogg (1-yr) in R1 for the September 2019 intake. My post MBA goal is to start my own venture.
My work experience so far has been entirely in consulting (3 yrs in a big 4+ 2 yrs in a boutique). I am considering a job offer I have from a startup. The reason I interviewed was that I feel that a first hand experience in the startup space would help when I startup on my own, which I guess can help explain the reason for the change.

Other considerations: The new role will be of a Project Manager I will have more responsibility and leadership opportunities. However, it will probably be a bit difficult to get recommendations from my supervisor and I would therefore have to rely on recommendations from past employers.

Now my question is will a job switch just 4-5 months before submitting my application be looked at negatively by any of the AdComs? Or will it suffice if I explain that the reason for the switch was that I wanted to get some exposure to the functioning of startups before venturing out on my own?

Thanks!

+1 kudos if you find this useful
GMAT 1: 750 (Q50; V40; IR 8; AWA 5.5)
Debrief: https://gmatclub.com/forum/first-attempt-750-q50-v40-ir-8-awa-245721.html

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2018, 06:27
nishantd88 wrote:
Hi Team,

Wanted to get some perspective on a dilemma I am facing.
I am looking to apply to INSEAD, IE and Kellogg (1-yr) in R1 for the September 2019 intake. My post MBA goal is to start my own venture.
My work experience so far has been entirely in consulting (3 yrs in a big 4+ 2 yrs in a boutique). I am considering a job offer I have from a startup. The reason I interviewed was that I feel that a first hand experience in the startup space would help when I startup on my own, which I guess can help explain the reason for the change.

Other considerations: The new role will be of a Project Manager I will have more responsibility and leadership opportunities. However, it will probably be a bit difficult to get recommendations from my supervisor and I would therefore have to rely on recommendations from past employers.

Now my question is will a job switch just 4-5 months before submitting my application be looked at negatively by any of the AdComs? Or will it suffice if I explain that the reason for the switch was that I wanted to get some exposure to the functioning of startups before venturing out on my own?

Thanks!

Nishant,

Thank you for the question. Assuming this is your 3rd FT role post undergrad, it would be ok to make a move before applying. As you mention, the move gets you closer to your goals which can be explained in the essays. You may want to consider R2 if you end up moving too close to the deadlines, but making a move is not a bad idea in your case. Good luck and reach out with any other questions.

Best,
Scott

Personal MBA Coach

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2018, 05:05
Are you curious what the newest MBA ranking really means? Read our analysis below as well as recommendations on how to think about rankings in general.

https://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personal MBA Coach

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2018, 05:02
Good luck everyone who is waiting to hear from Wharton today! I hope many of you receive good news!

Best,
Scott

Personal MBA Coach

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2018, 02:06
Hello Scott!!

Please help evaluate my profile for R1 admissions, starting this year, for some 1yr programs I have shortlisted in-line with my GMAT score.

Background and nationality: Indian, 32yrs
Undergrad Information: Computer Engineer - University of Mumbai| Total Aggregate – 59%
GMAT: 750 (Q49 V44 AWA5 IR6)

Target Schools: (in order of preference)
Cambridge Judge Business School
Oxford Said Business School
IIM – Ahmedabad
ISB – Hyderabad

Work experience and leadership:
Total Work Experience: 10.5yrs (Indian IT MNC)| 3 promotions & no job switches.
Work Function: IT Consulting - Product Delivery & Implementation/ Change Management
Domain: Retail/Corporate Banking, Wealth Management Systems, Online delivery channels
International Experience: ~4+ yrs (Africa & Singapore)

Key CV elements:
Led teams of 7-10 members and drove implementations with yearly consolidated revenues of over $1M for a tier-1 banking institution in South East Asia.
Implemented various product enhancements in record short sprints and enabled 30% savings in delivery timelines under org initiatives for SEA market.
Formulated and managed change across end users with a holistic exposure to existing business processes in the banking domain, for various South East Asian emerging markets.
Designed data migration strategy, mapped existing business processes, defined project milestones and coordinated with business teams to manage core-banking platform transformation projects at 5 Nigerian banking institutions.
Led cross-cultural project teams in Nigeria, with 7-10 Indian+Nigerian members, driving product implementations of key banking modules. Have a very good understanding of emerging market needs and limitations in technology adoption.

Community and Extra Curriculars:
Very keen debater and quizzer throughout my academic and professional tracks. Have represented my institutions over the years in multiple quiz & debate competitions at various levels.
Winner of Inter School Debate competition in Delhi-NCR, organised by Rajiv Gandhi Foundation of India.
Won Mumbai qualifier and represented the city at Inter-College Canara Bank Centenary Quiz in Bangalore.
Won multiple awards (Young Achiever Award/ OTS/ GEM Award) and appreciations for the various Implementation & Migration projects in Africa and South East Asia.
Completed Harvard ManageMentor e-learning Certifications, designed by Harvard Business School.
Published short stories and light verses in school newsletters and magazines. Being an avid debater and quizzer, I am very comfortable with public speaking and verbal communication, leading to effective leadership abilities. I am an Equity and Capital market enthusiast and love watching sports & documentaries.

Post MBA goals:
With 10+ yrs of IT consulting and product delivery experience, I am looking to target senior positions at product management/ownership roles, continuing in the technology space to leverage my business & life experiences to the fullest. I want to develop holistic business management acumen with Strategy as my concentration, so that I can learn the advanced principles of product management, promotion & pricing, marketing strategies and enhanced post-sales revenues. I am sure that a 1yr b-school program would expose me to new ideas & though-trains, and give me further clarity on the road to my goals.

I see myself transitioning into senior leadership roles with challenging responsibilities in the long-term, leading not just teams and product offerings, but organizational strategy & roadmap as well.

Thanks for your time!
Cheers :-)
Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2018, 04:18
teecay wrote:
Hello Scott!!

Please help evaluate my profile for R1 admissions, starting this year, for some 1yr programs I have shortlisted in-line with my GMAT score.

Background and nationality: Indian, 32yrs
Undergrad Information: Computer Engineer - University of Mumbai| Total Aggregate – 59%
GMAT: 750 (Q49 V44 AWA5 IR6)

Target Schools: (in order of preference)
Cambridge Judge Business School
Oxford Said Business School
IIM – Ahmedabad
ISB – Hyderabad

Work experience and leadership:
Total Work Experience: 10.5yrs (Indian IT MNC)| 3 promotions & no job switches.
Work Function: IT Consulting - Product Delivery & Implementation/ Change Management
Domain: Retail/Corporate Banking, Wealth Management Systems, Online delivery channels
International Experience: ~4+ yrs (Africa & Singapore)

Key CV elements:
Led teams of 7-10 members and drove implementations with yearly consolidated revenues of over $1M for a tier-1 banking institution in South East Asia.
Implemented various product enhancements in record short sprints and enabled 30% savings in delivery timelines under org initiatives for SEA market.
Formulated and managed change across end users with a holistic exposure to existing business processes in the banking domain, for various South East Asian emerging markets.
Designed data migration strategy, mapped existing business processes, defined project milestones and coordinated with business teams to manage core-banking platform transformation projects at 5 Nigerian banking institutions.
Led cross-cultural project teams in Nigeria, with 7-10 Indian+Nigerian members, driving product implementations of key banking modules. Have a very good understanding of emerging market needs and limitations in technology adoption.

Community and Extra Curriculars:
Very keen debater and quizzer throughout my academic and professional tracks. Have represented my institutions over the years in multiple quiz & debate competitions at various levels.
Winner of Inter School Debate competition in Delhi-NCR, organised by Rajiv Gandhi Foundation of India.
Won Mumbai qualifier and represented the city at Inter-College Canara Bank Centenary Quiz in Bangalore.
Won multiple awards (Young Achiever Award/ OTS/ GEM Award) and appreciations for the various Implementation & Migration projects in Africa and South East Asia.
Completed Harvard ManageMentor e-learning Certifications, designed by Harvard Business School.
Published short stories and light verses in school newsletters and magazines. Being an avid debater and quizzer, I am very comfortable with public speaking and verbal communication, leading to effective leadership abilities. I am an Equity and Capital market enthusiast and love watching sports & documentaries.

Post MBA goals:
With 10+ yrs of IT consulting and product delivery experience, I am looking to target senior positions at product management/ownership roles, continuing in the technology space to leverage my business & life experiences to the fullest. I want to develop holistic business management acumen with Strategy as my concentration, so that I can learn the advanced principles of product management, promotion & pricing, marketing strategies and enhanced post-sales revenues. I am sure that a 1yr b-school program would expose me to new ideas & though-trains, and give me further clarity on the road to my goals.

I see myself transitioning into senior leadership roles with challenging responsibilities in the long-term, leading not just teams and product offerings, but organizational strategy & roadmap as well.

Thanks for your time!
Cheers :-)

Thank you very much for the detailed post. Given how much experience and leadership you have, have you considered an Executive MBA? The EMBA would expose you to a lot more leadership training and executive coaching that would likely propel your career even more than a full-time one year program. Most of the programs have students with an average of five years of work experience so you are a bit over qualified for these. You could make a case to get in, though they tend to take fewer applicants with 11+ years (upon matriculation) of experience since they are generally better served in an EMBA.

I am happy to explore further, but for now take a look at this blog we published recently.

https://www.personalmbacoach.com/single ... MBA-Option

Best,
Scott

Personal MBA Coach

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2018, 00:45
PersonalMBACoach wrote:
Thank you very much for the detailed post. Given how much experience and leadership you have, have you considered an Executive MBA? The EMBA would expose you to a lot more leadership training and executive coaching that would likely propel your career even more than a full-time one year program.

Thanks for your inputs Scott! I know that with my 10yr+ work-ex I am on thin ice with regards to the general class profiles at most of these schools. That's why I am only looking at 1yr programs specifically. After I graduated, the plan was to get into a b-school with 7-8 years work-ex, but I couldnt work it out due to personal engagements & satisfaction with my work assignments. I have planned to highlight that somehow in my essays as well.

I don't think an emba suits my style of learning and engagement. I can think of emba as the next step later on if all my applications were dinged this year. I want to get into a competitive and engaging program for 12 months, the program being my only priority, and commit myself fully to the course. The focus and involvement that I would get in a full-time course would be far much more than what I would get in a part-time program.

Thanks!
Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2018, 10:20
teecay wrote:
PersonalMBACoach wrote:
Thank you very much for the detailed post. Given how much experience and leadership you have, have you considered an Executive MBA? The EMBA would expose you to a lot more leadership training and executive coaching that would likely propel your career even more than a full-time one year program.

Thanks for your inputs Scott! I know that with my 10yr+ work-ex I am on thin ice with regards to the general class profiles at most of these schools. That's why I am only looking at 1yr programs specifically. After I graduated, the plan was to get into a b-school with 7-8 years work-ex, but I couldnt work it out due to personal engagements & satisfaction with my work assignments. I have planned to highlight that somehow in my essays as well.

I don't think an emba suits my style of learning and engagement. I can think of emba as the next step later on if all my applications were dinged this year. I want to get into a competitive and engaging program for 12 months, the program being my only priority, and commit myself fully to the course. The focus and involvement that I would get in a full-time course would be far much more than what I would get in a part-time program.

Thanks!

Thank you for the additional context. In that case, I would advise that you add at least a couple other programs to the list to target 6 programs, possibly 7 if we find the 7th, so that we can maximize your chances.

IIM and ISB have the better chance of working out. Cambridge and Oxford could go either way, and if you wanted others within Europe we could find one or two more that are in between Oxford and IIM in terms of relative ranking / difficulty.

Reach out if you want to explore working further on this.

Best,
Scott

Personal MBA Coach

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.78
WE: Other (Commercial Banking)

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2018, 19:45
Currently looking at different schools to apply to and trying to figure out how competitive my stats and profile are for the schools I'm interested in. I've got a slightly unique background / accomplishments, but I'm not sure how these play into the eyes of an admissions committee. Also, I'm quite interested in finding a good culture fit, seeing as this is what I'll be doing for 2 years or so. Planning to apply Round 1 this fall 2018, matriculating fall 2019. Any and all advice or opinions are welcome as I am still just attempting to figure out what schools I should focus my efforts on. Thanks in advance for your time and opinions!

Backgound

Sex: Male (26)

Race/Nationality: Hispanic / USA

GMAT: 710 (45Q/42V), IR 8, AWA 6.0

Undergraduate: GPA - 3.8, Double majored in Business Economics and Management (Average State School)

Graduate School: Masters degree in environmental economics and rural development, Graduated with "Honors", Earned a "Distinction" for my master's thesis (think Oxford, LSE, Cambridge)

Athletics: The reason I went to the average state school was because I was an ESPN All-American at my sport and the school had a great athletic program. I got a full-ride athletic scholarship and was the captain of my Division-1 team. Ranked an ESPN top-10 recruit coming out of high school, but blew out my ankles / achilles / back freshman and sophomore year, and had to re-evaluate my life plan afterwards. This is the area of my background where I have no idea how much value admissions committees will place on my application.

Extra-curriculars: I have volunteered at an urban farm non-profit for awhile. The organization is built to teach low-income children from my city about the importance of farming, responsibility, and hard work. I help build chicken coops / greenhouses / community gardens / etc. there when needed, and am now a field trip leader for groups of children who come and visit the farm. I also volunteer at an urban garden center where I help out with distributing plant seeds and transplants for low-income families to grow food for the season.

Work Experience

Current: Active US government security clearance working for a financial regulator in the agriculture industry. I travel around the US visiting and examining agricultural banks to ensure compliance with federal regulations, and provide consultative-like advice on financial issues that are affecting the bank at that time. I've gotten two promotions within three years of working there, and now am in charge of my own bank that has assets over $500MM. I examine all levels of a bank including: governance, capital levels, asset quality, earnings, liquidity, interest rate sensitivity, internal controls, policies and procedures, etc. We work in a project type management structure, so sometimes I am managing between 10-15 people, and other times I am managing no one. Strong performance appraisals throughout my time at the organization. Will have a little over 4 years of WE at this role at matriculation.

Past: Before I was at my current job, I interned in the mayor's office of my city (fairly large capital city) doing sustainability work, and I also had an internship the summer between undergrad and grad school where I worked in Central America for a large multinational agricultural company in the corporate social responsibility department.

MBA Info

Goal of MBA: My favorite part of my job is the project management style consultative work we do for the banks we regulate. I'd like to leverage my financial and project management work experience to transition to consulting. Preferably, I'd like to work for a consulting company with a strong agriculture related client base. Also, I'm interested in sustainability and corporate responsibility, so that is something I'm interested in from an MBA program and hopefully a future job.

Schools: Harvard, Stanford (big stretches), Dartmouth (personal favorite), Booth, Northwestern, Yale, Duke, Michigan, Washington-Foster

I tried to focus on schools with a strong consulting employment record, and also like I mentioned above, culture fit. I love the outdoors (skiing, backpacking, biking) and thrive better when I am in an environment of teamwork and fun rather than ultra competitive. Lastly, I think I'd like to be in the Mid-West or West Coast of the US which explains the Mid-West focus and UW-Foster interest.
Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2018, 06:50
user123456789 wrote:
Currently looking at different schools to apply to and trying to figure out how competitive my stats and profile are for the schools I'm interested in. I've got a slightly unique background / accomplishments, but I'm not sure how these play into the eyes of an admissions committee. Also, I'm quite interested in finding a good culture fit, seeing as this is what I'll be doing for 2 years or so. Planning to apply Round 1 this fall 2018, matriculating fall 2019. Any and all advice or opinions are welcome as I am still just attempting to figure out what schools I should focus my efforts on. Thanks in advance for your time and opinions!

Backgound

Sex: Male (26)

Race/Nationality: Hispanic / USA

GMAT: 710 (45Q/42V), IR 8, AWA 6.0

Undergraduate: GPA - 3.8, Double majored in Business Economics and Management (Average State School)

Graduate School: Masters degree in environmental economics and rural development, Graduated with "Honors", Earned a "Distinction" for my master's thesis (think Oxford, LSE, Cambridge)

Athletics: The reason I went to the average state school was because I was an ESPN All-American at my sport and the school had a great athletic program. I got a full-ride athletic scholarship and was the captain of my Division-1 team. Ranked an ESPN top-10 recruit coming out of high school, but blew out my ankles / achilles / back freshman and sophomore year, and had to re-evaluate my life plan afterwards. This is the area of my background where I have no idea how much value admissions committees will place on my application.

Extra-curriculars: I have volunteered at an urban farm non-profit for awhile. The organization is built to teach low-income children from my city about the importance of farming, responsibility, and hard work. I help build chicken coops / greenhouses / community gardens / etc. there when needed, and am now a field trip leader for groups of children who come and visit the farm. I also volunteer at an urban garden center where I help out with distributing plant seeds and transplants for low-income families to grow food for the season.

Work Experience

Current: Active US government security clearance working for a financial regulator in the agriculture industry. I travel around the US visiting and examining agricultural banks to ensure compliance with federal regulations, and provide consultative-like advice on financial issues that are affecting the bank at that time. I've gotten two promotions within three years of working there, and now am in charge of my own bank that has assets over $500MM. I examine all levels of a bank including: governance, capital levels, asset quality, earnings, liquidity, interest rate sensitivity, internal controls, policies and procedures, etc. We work in a project type management structure, so sometimes I am managing between 10-15 people, and other times I am managing no one. Strong performance appraisals throughout my time at the organization. Will have a little over 4 years of WE at this role at matriculation.

Past: Before I was at my current job, I interned in the mayor's office of my city (fairly large capital city) doing sustainability work, and I also had an internship the summer between undergrad and grad school where I worked in Central America for a large multinational agricultural company in the corporate social responsibility department.

MBA Info

Goal of MBA: My favorite part of my job is the project management style consultative work we do for the banks we regulate. I'd like to leverage my financial and project management work experience to transition to consulting. Preferably, I'd like to work for a consulting company with a strong agriculture related client base. Also, I'm interested in sustainability and corporate responsibility, so that is something I'm interested in from an MBA program and hopefully a future job.

Schools: Harvard, Stanford (big stretches), Dartmouth (personal favorite), Booth, Northwestern, Yale, Duke, Michigan, Washington-Foster

I tried to focus on schools with a strong consulting employment record, and also like I mentioned above, culture fit. I love the outdoors (skiing, backpacking, biking) and thrive better when I am in an environment of teamwork and fun rather than ultra competitive. Lastly, I think I'd like to be in the Mid-West or West Coast of the US which explains the Mid-West focus and UW-Foster interest.

Thank you very much for your detailed post and for reaching out for feedback. Overall I really like your profile. The sports background will help you and we have a number of athletes each year, some college and some professional. That is additive to your profile for sure. I can see why Tuck is a favorite of yours based on your experience. They really have a nice tight knit community that you would enjoy. I agree that H/S would be stretches, mostly because of the low quant score. Do you think you can retake that or would you be interested in support to help improve the score?

Overall this is a good range of schools. Feel free to reach out if you want to explore further.

Best,
Scott

Personal MBA Coach

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2018, 14:02
Hello

I'm going to apply for fall 2018. I know I'm a little bit late, but have to get admitted this year. Can you please advise what US schools I can still apply to? I'm aiming either for MBA or MS Masters in Finance/investment. Thanks in advance
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2018, 11:48
Hi Scott, I am planning on applying to many of the Top 15 MBA programs, and I would like your review and advice of my below profile:

Background

Work experience:

1. 1.5 years Big 4 in the Audit Practice (Financial statement audit, control testing, leading small teams)
2. 2.5 years auto OEM, aka GM/Ford/Chrysler (Internal Audit rotational program, leading audits of various functions such as Manufacturing, Finance, Purchasing, etc.; position included an international rotation; this position is seen as an exclusive opportunity in the company and is predominantly filled with MBA grads incl. UM Ross; quarterly presentations to VP's and annually to CEO)

Extra curriculars:

- Founder - Immigration Acclimatization program, assisting 1st. gen immigrants such as myself to adjust to the US culture and daily life
- Head coach - Youth boys soccer team
- Competitive Powerlifter - placed 1st in State Competition in respective weight class

Undergrad school/major:

- Local State University, BS in Accounting, 3.75 GPA

Other education/coursework:

- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) License

Race/nationality:

- European, 1st generation immigrant and 1st generation college/high school grad
- Sex: Male

Stats

- GMAT Score (include breakdown!): GRE: 168V/161Q (converts to 700 GMAT)
- Undergrad GPA: 3.75

MBA Info

- Goal of MBA: Consulting
- Target schools: I am open to feedback, however I will shotgun applications to: Booth, Kellogg, Tuck, Columbia, Yale, Ross, Fuqua, Stern, Darden, and Cornell.

I know 10 schools seems absurd, but I have a good deal of time to prepare the applications, and because of the rotational nature of my position I have access to numerous individuals that would be qualified to write my LOR.

I plan to frame my goal as a desire to to work in client-service, with an operational focus. I have worked client-service, focused on Financial Statements; I have worked in industry, focused on Operations -- working in consulting is the perfect bridge of my experience.

What are your thoughts overall on my plan? I believe my weakest point is my GRE, but I am hoping the rest of my application makes up for it. I also fully intend to hire an Admissions Consultant to iron out any application kinks.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Ask Personal MBA Coach [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2018, 07:26
Dear Experts,

I request you to kindly evaluate my profile for MILR from Cornell University. However, I have listed a few more programs for backup though I’m interested only in MILR, Cornell University.

Programs Interested in: Full-time MBA / MS or Specialized Masters in HR
1. Tier-1 Schools
• MILR, Cornell University
• MS-HCM, Columbia University - School of Professional Studies (From 2019 Part-time program is being upgraded to Full time program)
2. Tier-2 Schools
• MBA (HR specialisation), Wisconsin School of Business, Madison
• Master of HRLR, Michigan State University

Class start year preference: Classes starting in Sept 2019

My Profile:
 General Info:
1. Indian + Male
2. Engineer + PGDM (HR)

 Academics:
1. Bachelor in Engineering (ECE) from Tier - 2 Institute, 2009, 63.87% (Top 25 percentile of the class)
2. Post Graduate Diploma in Management (HR) from Tier - 2 B-School, 2013, 5.15/7.0 CGPA (Top 25 percentile of the class)

 Work experience: 7 years, India
1. Boutique Consulting: (2009-2011, 22 m): Associate - Business Research | Role: Sector Research & Research report development for Textiles Industry

2. Government Skills Development Council: 2013-2014, 17 m): Manager - Affiliations (Partners & Industry) | Role: Sales Operations: 80%, Skill Research: 20% | Achievements: Largest number of partner empanelment by any Skill Council in India in a fiscal year; Selected to anchor the Skill Gap study with KPMG & Sector Skill Council (SSC) Optimization Study with McKinsey & Co.

3. Big-4 Consulting (2014-2017, 32 m): Senior Consultant - Customer Consulting | Role: CRM process designing, System Testing, Customer Experience Design | Achievements: Received 1 client appreciation award & 1 firm award

4. Education & Skills Think-Tank (May 2017- Till Date): Manager - Research & Partnerships | Role: Research, Project Management & Knowledge Management; Additional responsibility of managing the entire Talent Acquisition lifecycle for Research Associate (RA) roles | Managing a team of 4 members

 Internships: (2012-2013, 11 m, During PGDM(HR)): 3 HR internships including an international summer internship in an MNC in Germany HQ.
1. Summer Associate - Global University Relations, with Europe’s largest Engineering Company
2. Intern - HR Strategy, Planning & Policy, with India’s largest multi-brand retail chain
3. Intern - Early Careers Resourcing, with India’s largest private Life Insurance Company

 Extra-curriculars:

1. Leadership in student bodies:
a) Forum Representative, ECE Forum: During my B.E, I was ECE Forum Representative where I have conducted large student events, introduced new events such as Spell Bee (1st time in India), etc.
b) Alumni Secretary, B-School (2011-2013): I have managed a team of 50 volunteers to implement the largest alumni outreach program culminating in largest turnout at the Alumni meet in our B-Schools history.
c) Convenor, HR Club, B-School (2012-2013): I also started a HR Club in my B-School wherein we have called Industry professionals for guest lectures, conducting knowledge circles, etc.

2. Research articles/papers published: More than 10 articles in HRM published in B-School
magazines/journals

3. Competitions:
a) Winner of best summer project in HR in multiple forums such as Institute of Management Consultants of India (IMCI), Indian Society for Training & Development (ISTD), etc.
b) Selected as the top-15 Management Student in India by Dewang Mehta Foundation after a multi-level National competitive process
c) I also competitively got selected for Harvard Project for Asian & International Relations (HPAIR), Boston from among 600 students globally
d) Winner of other competitions such as Mahindra SSG - Breakfast with the CEO Series, Infosys Aspirations 2020, etc.

 Test Scores:
1. GMAT: 700 (Q49, V35) IR3 | Actual Test date: Apr 2018; Plan to take another attempt soon
2. IELTS: 8.0/9.0 with all sections above 7.5 but score expiring in May 2018; Have to re-take or request for waiver

 Post-MBA Goal:
I did my 1st Masters(PDGM) quite early in my profession journey having less than 2 years of experience. Hence could not take an informed decision & leverage on the academic & career opportunities which was available in HRM in better known programs in India. I wish to embrace this opportunity to acquire, apply & assimilate knowledge of HRM & IR through this 2nd Masters/MBA and fulfil my career aspirations & passion to work as HR Business Partner/ HR leadership role in an MNCs.

My Questions for the Experts:

Q1. Now, I'm keen to transition into HR Business Partner roles in MNCs in US and hence, I wish to pursue MILR, Cornell to achieve my goal. However, I already have my 1st Masters in HR (PGDM-HR) from India & no work experience in HR but in Consulting, Business Research & Sales operations (Except 11 months HR internship experience).
[Note: The acceptance rate for the MILR program is typically between 35% and 40%.]

Do I even have a chance considering my profile and test scores described in the previous paragraphs?

Q2. For MILR, Cornell most of the students take the GRE. While the mean GMAT score Cornell MILR is 680 (Q47, V36)
& I have 700 (Q49, V35).
• But my verbal score is 1 point below the Verbal mean score.
• Additionally, I have only IR3.
• Besides we have to account for the fact that I’m Indian + Male + Engineer being from an overrepresented
demographic segment

Will I have to retake the GMAT or my present score is competitive enough?

Q3. Is community service experience a must to show some involvement outside of work?

Thanking in advance :)
Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2018, 16:47
SemNoah wrote:
Hello

I'm going to apply for fall 2018. I know I'm a little bit late, but have to get admitted this year. Can you please advise what US schools I can still apply to? I'm aiming either for MBA or MS Masters in Finance/investment. Thanks in advance

Thank you for your post! I would love to help but I need more information. Feel free to provide details about your background and I will give you some advice.

- GPA
- GMAT / GRE
- Work experience
- Extra-curriculars

Best,
Scott

Personal MBA Coach

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2018, 16:50
keke323 wrote:
Hi Scott, I am planning on applying to many of the Top 15 MBA programs, and I would like your review and advice of my below profile:

Background

Work experience:

1. 1.5 years Big 4 in the Audit Practice (Financial statement audit, control testing, leading small teams)
2. 2.5 years auto OEM, aka GM/Ford/Chrysler (Internal Audit rotational program, leading audits of various functions such as Manufacturing, Finance, Purchasing, etc.; position included an international rotation; this position is seen as an exclusive opportunity in the company and is predominantly filled with MBA grads incl. UM Ross; quarterly presentations to VP's and annually to CEO)

Extra curriculars:

- Founder - Immigration Acclimatization program, assisting 1st. gen immigrants such as myself to adjust to the US culture and daily life
- Head coach - Youth boys soccer team
- Competitive Powerlifter - placed 1st in State Competition in respective weight class

Undergrad school/major:

- Local State University, BS in Accounting, 3.75 GPA

Other education/coursework:

- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) License

Race/nationality:

- European, 1st generation immigrant and 1st generation college/high school grad
- Sex: Male

Stats

- GMAT Score (include breakdown!): GRE: 168V/161Q (converts to 700 GMAT)
- Undergrad GPA: 3.75

MBA Info

- Goal of MBA: Consulting
- Target schools: I am open to feedback, however I will shotgun applications to: Booth, Kellogg, Tuck, Columbia, Yale, Ross, Fuqua, Stern, Darden, and Cornell.

I know 10 schools seems absurd, but I have a good deal of time to prepare the applications, and because of the rotational nature of my position I have access to numerous individuals that would be qualified to write my LOR.

I plan to frame my goal as a desire to to work in client-service, with an operational focus. I have worked client-service, focused on Financial Statements; I have worked in industry, focused on Operations -- working in consulting is the perfect bridge of my experience.

What are your thoughts overall on my plan? I believe my weakest point is my GRE, but I am hoping the rest of my application makes up for it. I also fully intend to hire an Admissions Consultant to iron out any application kinks.

Thank you for your detailed post! I think your approach to target a larger number of schools is a wise one given your GRE is on the lower end. From what I see here, the range is good, though I may recommend you target more programs around the lower end and fewer of the Booth, Kellogg, Tuck, Yale variety. If you would like to explore this further, please reach out and we can discuss!

Best,
Scott

Personal MBA Coach

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GPA: 2.63

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2018, 20:11
Hello, Scott!

Could you please evaluate my profile?

I’m a 22 years old Brazilian student. I’m a white, latino man and also have a polish citizenship.

I intend to apply for MBA programs by 2024 or 2025.

A little bit about my personal life: my father abandoned my family when I was 5 years old, and he left us with no financial aid.
I am the first in my family to graduate (my father graduated, and also his father, but I didn’t consider him as part of my family since he left us when I was young and did not collaborated with my development), and currently live with my unemployed mother, my retired grandmother and my oldest (29 y.o) brother (son of another father, who was also not present) is schizophrenic.

I work at part time jobs (specially bartending, but also bilingual reception at events) since I was 17 years old in order to help my family. During my undergraduation my brother tried to commit suicide throwing himself at the train line and had many outbreaks that led me to flee from home and live 6 months at a friend’s house. I also had a diagnosed stress and anxiety crisis at the period I was living away from my family.

I am a undergrad Marketing student at USP (recurrently recognized the greatest university of LATAM). This course is difficult (greatest historic GPA = 3,5 / average GPA = 2) and I’m going to receive my bachelor’s degree in August with a GPA of 2.6 (8As, 8Fs, 1D, no clear pattern despite a significant improvement at the last semester).
The coursework have many quantitative subjects (multivariate analysis, calculus, probability, statistical inference). I also founded the Consulting Club of my campus in my third year of course and had some extracurricular activities as assistant professor and scientific studies.

Besides part time jobs during my undergraduation, I also founded my own bartending company while I could not get a Internship (by university determination we are allowed to get internships after the 6th semester). Then I made my internship program at the largest LATAM private bank (I do have strong recommendations from 2 managers I had at the period) and got a full time job offer after 8 months as a intern. Now I work full time as a Account Executive while I’m finishing my studies at USP, but I’m trying to move to Consulting big three (McKinsey, Bain, BCG) in a near future.

My target schools are (in order of preference): Northwestern, Wharton, Yale, Stanford, Harvard, Columbia, INSEAD, IESE, LBS, HEC, Booth, Tuck, Berkeley, Ross, UCLA, Tuck, Syracuse

Due to my low GPA, I’m considering three options:
 Enroll in a second undergrad course (probably business administration or economics), obtaining high grades. This option would limit my work experience for the next 3 years.
 Enroll in a “Professional Master”, which came to be a strictu sensu postgraduate program that allow me to continue working while studing rigorously.
 Enroll in a MBA program in Data Science (Brazilian MBA programs are part time lato sensu programs that aren’t as rigorous as strictu sensu programs).

I would like to note that I do not intend to apply with a GMAT below 700 points. I also do not expect to perform over 730 points.

That said, I would like to ask some questions:

1. While applying to a MBA program my global GPA would be considered (undergrad+undergrad / undergrad + postgraduate program) or in case I do another undergraduation I could only consider my second GPA?
2. Which of the options listed above do you think would be the best in my targets schools opinion? Another undergrad, limiting my work experience, or taking postgraduate courses while climbing positions at some great company?
3. Do you I have real chances in one of my target schools? Which of them?
Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2018, 16:30
guruguru wrote:
Hello, Scott!

Could you please evaluate my profile?

I’m a 22 years old Brazilian student. I’m a white, latino man and also have a polish citizenship.

I intend to apply for MBA programs by 2024 or 2025.

A little bit about my personal life: my father abandoned my family when I was 5 years old, and he left us with no financial aid.
I am the first in my family to graduate (my father graduated, and also his father, but I didn’t consider him as part of my family since he left us when I was young and did not collaborated with my development), and currently live with my unemployed mother, my retired grandmother and my oldest (29 y.o) brother (son of another father, who was also not present) is schizophrenic.

I work at part time jobs (specially bartending, but also bilingual reception at events) since I was 17 years old in order to help my family. During my undergraduation my brother tried to commit suicide throwing himself at the train line and had many outbreaks that led me to flee from home and live 6 months at a friend’s house. I also had a diagnosed stress and anxiety crisis at the period I was living away from my family.

I am a undergrad Marketing student at USP (recurrently recognized the greatest university of LATAM). This course is difficult (greatest historic GPA = 3,5 / average GPA = 2) and I’m going to receive my bachelor’s degree in August with a GPA of 2.6 (8As, 8Fs, 1D, no clear pattern despite a significant improvement at the last semester).
The coursework have many quantitative subjects (multivariate analysis, calculus, probability, statistical inference). I also founded the Consulting Club of my campus in my third year of course and had some extracurricular activities as assistant professor and scientific studies.

Besides part time jobs during my undergraduation, I also founded my own bartending company while I could not get a Internship (by university determination we are allowed to get internships after the 6th semester). Then I made my internship program at the largest LATAM private bank (I do have strong recommendations from 2 managers I had at the period) and got a full time job offer after 8 months as a intern. Now I work full time as a Account Executive while I’m finishing my studies at USP, but I’m trying to move to Consulting big three (McKinsey, Bain, BCG) in a near future.

My target schools are (in order of preference): Northwestern, Wharton, Yale, Stanford, Harvard, Columbia, INSEAD, IESE, LBS, HEC, Booth, Tuck, Berkeley, Ross, UCLA, Tuck, Syracuse

Due to my low GPA, I’m considering three options:
 Enroll in a second undergrad course (probably business administration or economics), obtaining high grades. This option would limit my work experience for the next 3 years.
 Enroll in a “Professional Master”, which came to be a strictu sensu postgraduate program that allow me to continue working while studing rigorously.
 Enroll in a MBA program in Data Science (Brazilian MBA programs are part time lato sensu programs that aren’t as rigorous as strictu sensu programs).

I would like to note that I do not intend to apply with a GMAT below 700 points. I also do not expect to perform over 730 points.

That said, I would like to ask some questions:

1. While applying to a MBA program my global GPA would be considered (undergrad+undergrad / undergrad + postgraduate program) or in case I do another undergraduation I could only consider my second GPA?
2. Which of the options listed above do you think would be the best in my targets schools opinion? Another undergrad, limiting my work experience, or taking postgraduate courses while climbing positions at some great company?

Thank you for your detailed post. I can certainly see that you have overcome a lot, and for that, kudos! See below for my answers.

While all grades are reviewed and evaluated, the primary GPA would be the undergraduate GPA.

I would recommend taking extension courses while working. It wouldn't be the best use of 3 years to study again, but you could take a large handful of classes (I have my own recommended ones) and get As in them. Then you try to ace the GMAT (I would advise tutoring which we could discuss) so that you beat the average for the school.

Yes, absolutely. Which ones depend on a few things:
- What courses and grades do you take on the side?
- What job will you have and how will your performance be?
- How high of a GMAT score will you get? For now I will assume 720
With a 720, I will categorize the schools for you. Note this is definitely subject to change and if we work together we would dive into a lot more detail.

Reach: Northwestern, Wharton, Yale, Stanford, Harvard, Columbia, Booth, Berkeley, Tuck
Target: INSEAD, IESE, LBS, HEC, Ross, UCLA
Safe: Syracuse

Best,
Scott

Personal MBA Coach

Re: Ask Personal MBA Coach   [#permalink] 09 May 2018, 16:30

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11    Next  [ 208 posts ] 

Ask Personal MBA Coach

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap