GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Sep 2018, 17:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Baker's Dozen

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2011
Posts: 162
Re: Baker's Dozen  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2013, 00:20
Bunuel wrote:
I'm posting the next set of medium/hard PS questions. I'll post OA's with detailed explanations after some discussion. Please, post your solutions along with the answers. Good luck!

5. There are 7 red and 5 blue marbles in a jar. In how many ways 8 marbles can be selected from the jar so that at least one red marble and at least one blue marble to remain in the jar?
A. 460
B. 490
C. 493
D. 455
E. 445

Solution: baker-s-dozen-128782-20.html#p1057507



Actually need help from the moderators to know where my approach is going wrong:

it is it is told at least 1 red , at least one blue will be there.
So i am leaving 1 red , 1 blue=> Now i have 6 Red , 4 Blue ..I have to select 8 marbels...
So it means i have to select 8 marbels out of 10 marbels (colors don't matter)
= \(C^10_8\) = \(C^10_2\) = 45

I know i am not getting the ans...but what's wrong with this I m not able to spot...
_________________

If u can't jump the 700 wall , drill a big hole and cross it .. I can and I WILL DO IT ...need some encouragement and inspirations from U ALL

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8288
Location: Pune, India
Re: Baker's Dozen  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2013, 08:19
1
sujit2k7 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
I'm posting the next set of medium/hard PS questions. I'll post OA's with detailed explanations after some discussion. Please, post your solutions along with the answers. Good luck!

5. There are 7 red and 5 blue marbles in a jar. In how many ways 8 marbles can be selected from the jar so that at least one red marble and at least one blue marble to remain in the jar?
A. 460
B. 490
C. 493
D. 455
E. 445

Solution: baker-s-dozen-128782-20.html#p1057507



Actually need help from the moderators to know where my approach is going wrong:

it is it is told at least 1 red , at least one blue will be there.
So i am leaving 1 red , 1 blue=> Now i have 6 Red , 4 Blue ..I have to select 8 marbels...
So it means i have to select 8 marbels out of 10 marbels (colors don't matter)
= \(C^10_8\) = \(C^10_2\) = 45

I know i am not getting the ans...but what's wrong with this I m not able to spot...


Responding to a pm:

From the options, it is obvious that the marbles are considered unique i.e. the red marbles are all different, say they are numbered, and the blue marbles are all different. The problem with your approach is that when you leave 1 red and 1 blue, you don't provide for this.
Also, once you account for the uniqueness, there will be double counting - when you leave Red1 and Blue1 and then choose 8 out of the remaining 10 and say you are left with Red2 and Red3 too, this will be counted as different from when you leave Red2 and Blue1 and then choose 8 out of the remaining 10 and you are left with Red1 and Red3. These two cases are actually the same.

Rule of thumb is that 'at least one' cases are best done using the complement approach which is 'Total - None' (as shown by Bunuel in the solution).
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Dec 2012
Posts: 218
Concentration: Leadership, Marketing
GMAT 1: 540 Q36 V28
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V33
GPA: 2.82
WE: Human Resources (Health Care)
Re: Baker's Dozen  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2013, 19:25
Bunuel wrote:
12. x, y and z are positive integers such that when x is divided by y the remainder is 3 and when y is divided by z the remainder is 8. What is the smallest possible value of x+y+z?
A. 12
B. 20
C. 24
D. 29
E. 33


Given \(x=qy+3\), where \(q\) is a quotient, an integer \(\geq0\). Which means that the least value of \(x\) is when \(q=0\), in that case \(x=3\). This basically means that \(x\) is less than \(y\). For example 3 divided by 4 yields remainder of 3.

Thus we have that:
\(x\) is divided by \(y\) the remainder is 3 --> minimum value of \(x\) is 3;
\(y\) is divided by \(z\) the remainder is 8 --> minimum value of \(y\) is 8 and minimum value of \(z\) is one more than 8, so 9 (8 divided by 9 yields the remainder of 8);

So, the smallest possible value of \(x+y+z\) is 3+8+9=20.

Answer: B.


why z is minimum= 9?
_________________

My RC Recipe
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-rc-recipe-149577.html

My Problem Takeaway Template
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-simplest-problem-takeaway-template-150646.html

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8288
Location: Pune, India
Re: Baker's Dozen  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2013, 21:27
1
TheNona wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
12. x, y and z are positive integers such that when x is divided by y the remainder is 3 and when y is divided by z the remainder is 8. What is the smallest possible value of x+y+z?
A. 12
B. 20
C. 24
D. 29
E. 33


Given \(x=qy+3\), where \(q\) is a quotient, an integer \(\geq0\). Which means that the least value of \(x\) is when \(q=0\), in that case \(x=3\). This basically means that \(x\) is less than \(y\). For example 3 divided by 4 yields remainder of 3.

Thus we have that:
\(x\) is divided by \(y\) the remainder is 3 --> minimum value of \(x\) is 3;
\(y\) is divided by \(z\) the remainder is 8 --> minimum value of \(y\) is 8 and minimum value of \(z\) is one more than 8, so 9 (8 divided by 9 yields the remainder of 8);

So, the smallest possible value of \(x+y+z\) is 3+8+9=20.

Answer: B.


why z is minimum= 9?


When m is divided by n, the remainder can be anything from 0 to (n-1).
Take examples:

When m is divided by 8, the remainder can 0 or 1 or 2 till 7. Can the remainder be 8? No because that means the number is divisible by 8.

Say you divide 20 by 8, you get remainder 4. You divide 21 by 8, you get remainder 5. You divide 22 by 8, you get remainder 6. You divide 23 by 8, you get remainder 7. You divide 24 by 8, you get remainder 0, isn't it? The remainder will not be 8 - it will be 0.

Hence if you know that the remainder when you divide m by n is 7, you can say that n must be at least 8.

Similarly, when a number is divided by z and remainder is 8, z must be at least 9.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Oct 2012
Posts: 51
Re: Baker's Dozen  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2013, 03:03
Bunuel wrote:
2. If \(y=\frac{(3^5-3^2)^2}{(5^7-5^4)^{-2}}\), then y is NOT divisible by which of the following?
A. 6^4
B. 62^2
C. 65^2
D. 15^4
E. 52^4


\(y=\frac{(3^5-3^2)^2}{(5^7-5^4)^{-2}}=(3^5-3^2)^2*(5^7-5^4)^2=[color=#ff0000]3^4*(3^3-1)^2*5^8*(5^3-1)^2=3^4*26^2*5^8*124^2=2^6*3^4*5^8*13^2*31^2\).[/color]

Now, if you analyze each option you'll see that only \(52^4=2^8*13^4\) is not a factor of \(y\), since the power of 13 in it is higher than the power of 13 in \(y\).

Answer: E.


Bunuel, could you please kindly explain this part? How did you come up with this factorization? Many thanks!
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 49320
Re: Baker's Dozen  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2013, 03:24
BankerRUS wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
2. If \(y=\frac{(3^5-3^2)^2}{(5^7-5^4)^{-2}}\), then y is NOT divisible by which of the following?
A. 6^4
B. 62^2
C. 65^2
D. 15^4
E. 52^4


\(y=\frac{(3^5-3^2)^2}{(5^7-5^4)^{-2}}=(3^5-3^2)^2*(5^7-5^4)^2=[color=#ff0000]3^4*(3^3-1)^2*5^8*(5^3-1)^2=3^4*26^2*5^8*124^2=2^6*3^4*5^8*13^2*31^2\).[/color]

Now, if you analyze each option you'll see that only \(52^4=2^8*13^4\) is not a factor of \(y\), since the power of 13 in it is higher than the power of 13 in \(y\).

Answer: E.


Bunuel, could you please kindly explain this part? How did you come up with this factorization? Many thanks!


Consider this: \((ab-ac)^2=(a(b-c))^2=a^2*(b-c)^2\), so:

\((3^5-3^2)^2=(3^2*(3^3-1))^2=(3^2)^2*(3^3-1)^2=3^4*(3^3-1)^2=3^4*26=3^4*2^2*13^2\).
\((5^7-5^4)^2=(5^4*(5^3-1))^2=(5^4)^2*(5^3-1)^2=5^8*(5^3-1)^2=5^8*124^2=5^8*2^4*31^2\)

\((3^4*2^2*13^2)(5^8*2^4*31^2)=2^6*3^4*5^8*13^2*31^2\).

Hope it's clear.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Apr 2012
Posts: 386
Re: Baker's Dozen  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2013, 06:00
Bunuel wrote:
2. If \(y=\frac{(3^5-3^2)^2}{(5^7-5^4)^{-2}}\), then y is NOT divisible by which of the following?
A. 6^4
B. 62^2
C. 65^2
D. 15^4
E. 52^4


\(y=\frac{(3^5-3^2)^2}{(5^7-5^4)^{-2}}=(3^5-3^2)^2*(5^7-5^4)^2=3^4*(3^3-1)^2*5^8*(5^3-1)^2=3^4*26^2*5^8*124^2=2^6*3^4*5^8*13^2*31^2\).

Now, if you analyze each option you'll see that only \(52^4=2^8*13^4\) is not a factor of \(y\), since the power of 13 in it is higher than the power of 13 in \(y\).

Answer: E.



Can someone please explain how the move from the second part of the equation to the third part was?
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 49320
Re: Baker's Dozen  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2013, 07:19
ronr34 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
2. If \(y=\frac{(3^5-3^2)^2}{(5^7-5^4)^{-2}}\), then y is NOT divisible by which of the following?
A. 6^4
B. 62^2
C. 65^2
D. 15^4
E. 52^4


\(y=\frac{(3^5-3^2)^2}{(5^7-5^4)^{-2}}=(3^5-3^2)^2*(5^7-5^4)^2=3^4*(3^3-1)^2*5^8*(5^3-1)^2=3^4*26^2*5^8*124^2=2^6*3^4*5^8*13^2*31^2\).

Now, if you analyze each option you'll see that only \(52^4=2^8*13^4\) is not a factor of \(y\), since the power of 13 in it is higher than the power of 13 in \(y\).

Answer: E.



Can someone please explain how the move from the second part of the equation to the third part was?


Consider this: \((ab-ac)^2=(a(b-c))^2=a^2*(b-c)^2\), so \((3^5-3^2)^2=(3^2*(3^3-1))^2=(3^2)^2*(3^3-1)^2=3^4*(3^3-1)^2\).

Hope it helps.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 May 2012
Posts: 1
Re: Baker's Dozen  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2013, 07:32
1
Hi Bunuel,

On Mr. Wallace's Briefcase problem, I was wondering if you can clarify the step where you multiple by 5 choose 3? Can I think of it as SSSNN ["S" representing the number 6 and "N" representing a non-6 digit] and the number of ways to arrange this would be 5!/[3!*2!] since there are 3 repeats for S and 2 repeats for N. Is my reasoning the a logical way to approach this problem as well? Thnks!
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 49320
Re: Baker's Dozen  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2013, 03:56
nyknicksah20 wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

On Mr. Wallace's Briefcase problem, I was wondering if you can clarify the step where you multiple by 5 choose 3? Can I think of it as SSSNN ["S" representing the number 6 and "N" representing a non-6 digit] and the number of ways to arrange this would be 5!/[3!*2!] since there are 3 repeats for S and 2 repeats for N. Is my reasoning the a logical way to approach this problem as well? Thnks!


Yes, that is correct: \(C^3_5=\frac{5!}{3!2!}\).
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Nov 2013
Posts: 1
Concentration: Finance
Re: Baker's Dozen  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2013, 03:32
Hello Bunuel,

Since we have all negative numbers in the set, shouldn't we add up the first 5 numbers as the largest?

\(x + (x+2) + (x+4) + (x+6) + (x+8) = 5x +20 = -185\)

\(x = -41\)

Then we take 5 smallest integers, which are the latter in our set

\((x+4) + (x+6) + (x+8) + (x+10) + (x+12) = 5x +40\)

\(x= - 41\)

\(-41*5 + 40=-165\)

answer A?

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Bunuel wrote:
8. A set A consists of 7 consecutive odd integers. If the sum of 5 largest integers of set A is -185 what is the sum of the 5 smallest integers of set A?
A. -165
B. -175
C. -195
D. -205
E. -215

Say 7 consecutive odd integers are: \(x\), \(x+2\), \(x+4\), \(x+6\), \(x+8\), \(x+10\), \(x+12\).

Question: \(x+(x+2)+(x+4)+(x+6)+(x+8)=5x+20=?\)

Given: \((x+4)+(x+6)+(x+8)+(x+10)+(x+12)=-185\) --> \((x+4)+(x+6)+(x+8)+(x+10)+(x+12)=5x+40=-185\) --> \((5x+20)+20=-185\) --> \(5x+20=-205\)

Answer: D.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 49320
Re: Baker's Dozen  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2013, 06:54
trailrunner wrote:
Hello Bunuel,

Since we have all negative numbers in the set, shouldn't we add up the first 5 numbers as the largest?

\(x + (x+2) + (x+4) + (x+6) + (x+8) = 5x +20 = -185\)

\(x = -41\)

Then we take 5 smallest integers, which are the latter in our set

\((x+4) + (x+6) + (x+8) + (x+10) + (x+12) = 5x +40\)

\(x= - 41\)

\(-41*5 + 40=-165\)

answer A?

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Bunuel wrote:
8. A set A consists of 7 consecutive odd integers. If the sum of 5 largest integers of set A is -185 what is the sum of the 5 smallest integers of set A?
A. -165
B. -175
C. -195
D. -205
E. -215

Say 7 consecutive odd integers are: \(x\), \(x+2\), \(x+4\), \(x+6\), \(x+8\), \(x+10\), \(x+12\).

Question: \(x+(x+2)+(x+4)+(x+6)+(x+8)=5x+20=?\)

Given: \((x+4)+(x+6)+(x+8)+(x+10)+(x+12)=-185\) --> \((x+4)+(x+6)+(x+8)+(x+10)+(x+12)=5x+40=-185\) --> \((5x+20)+20=-185\) --> \(5x+20=-205\)

Answer: D.


Five largest integers from {\(x\), \(x+2\), \(x+4\), \(x+6\), \(x+8\), \(x+10\), \(x+12\)} are {\(x+4\), \(x+6\), \(x+8\), \(x+10\), \(x+12\)} no matter whether x is negative or positive.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Feb 2014
Posts: 1
Concentration: Technology, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
WE: Business Development (Computer Software)
Re: Baker's Dozen  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2014, 01:39
Bunuel wrote:
9. If x and y are negative numbers, what is the value of \(\frac{\sqrt{x^2}}{x}-\sqrt{-y*|y|}\)?
A. 1+y
B. 1-y
C. -1-y
D. y-1
E. x-y

Note that \(\sqrt{a^2}=|a|\). Next, since \(x<0\) and \(y<0\) then \(|x|=-x\) and \(|y|=-y\).

So, \(\frac{\sqrt{x^2}}{x}-\sqrt{-y*|y|}=\frac{|x|}{x}-\sqrt{(-y)*(-y)}=\frac{-x}{x}-\sqrt{y^2}=-1-|y|=-1+y\)


Answer: D.


Shouldn't -1-|y| be -1-y? since |y| will be positive always?
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 49320
Re: Baker's Dozen  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2014, 07:50
dnawap123 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
9. If x and y are negative numbers, what is the value of \(\frac{\sqrt{x^2}}{x}-\sqrt{-y*|y|}\)?
A. 1+y
B. 1-y
C. -1-y
D. y-1
E. x-y

Note that \(\sqrt{a^2}=|a|\). Next, since \(x<0\) and \(y<0\) then \(|x|=-x\) and \(|y|=-y\).

So, \(\frac{\sqrt{x^2}}{x}-\sqrt{-y*|y|}=\frac{|x|}{x}-\sqrt{(-y)*(-y)}=\frac{-x}{x}-\sqrt{y^2}=-1-|y|=-1+y\)


Answer: D.


Shouldn't -1-|y| be -1-y? since |y| will be positive always?


No.

When \(x\leq{0}\) then \(|x|=-x\), or more generally when \(some \ expression\leq{0}\) then \(|some \ expression|={-(some \ expression)}\).

When \(x\geq{0}\) then \(|x|=x\), or more generally when \(some \ expression\geq{0}\) then \(|some \ expression|={some \ expression}\).

Since given that y is a negative number (y<0), then \(|y| = -y\), hence \(-1-|y|=-1-(-y)=-1+y\).

Theory on Abolute Values: math-absolute-value-modulus-86462.html

DS Abolute Values Questions to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=37
PS Abolute Values Questions to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=58

Hard set on Abolute Values: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939.html


Hope it helps.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Mar 2014
Posts: 205
Premium Member
Re: Baker's Dozen  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2014, 00:52
Bunuel wrote:
13. If \(x=\frac{(8!)^{10}-(8!)^6}{(8!)^{5}-(8!)^3}\), what is the product of the tens and the units digits of \(\frac{x}{(8!)^3}-39\)?
A. 0
B. 6
C. 7
D. 12
E. 14

Apply \(a^2-b^2=(a-b)(a+b)\): \(x=\frac{(8!)^{10}-(8!)^6}{(8!)^{5}-(8!)^3}=\frac{((8!)^{5}-(8!)^3)((8!)^{5}+(8!)^3)}{(8!)^{5}-(8!)^3}=(8!)^{5}+(8!)^3\).

Next, \(\frac{x}{(8!)^3}-39=\frac{(8!)^{5}+(8!)^3}{(8!)^3}=\frac{(8!)^{5}}{(8!)^3}+\frac{(8!)^{3}}{(8!)^3}-39=(8!)^2+1-39=(8!)^2-38\).

Now, since \(8!\) has 2 and 5 as its multiples, then it will have 0 as the units digit, so \((8!)^2\) will have two zeros in the end, which means that \((8!)^2-38\) will have 00-38=62 as the last digits: 6*2=12.

Answer: D.


Hi Bunnel,

I have a doubt here

I did it in a following way

((8!)^6 ((8!)^4-1))/((8!)^3 ((8!)^2-1)) then I will get (8!)^5 as i can ignore -1. (8!)^4-1 = (8!)^4.

I have seen this kind of solution on some of the problems where you ignore -1 . I did the same here but getting different result.

Please suggest.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 49320
Re: Baker's Dozen  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2014, 06:09
PathFinder007 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
13. If \(x=\frac{(8!)^{10}-(8!)^6}{(8!)^{5}-(8!)^3}\), what is the product of the tens and the units digits of \(\frac{x}{(8!)^3}-39\)?
A. 0
B. 6
C. 7
D. 12
E. 14

Apply \(a^2-b^2=(a-b)(a+b)\): \(x=\frac{(8!)^{10}-(8!)^6}{(8!)^{5}-(8!)^3}=\frac{((8!)^{5}-(8!)^3)((8!)^{5}+(8!)^3)}{(8!)^{5}-(8!)^3}=(8!)^{5}+(8!)^3\).

Next, \(\frac{x}{(8!)^3}-39=\frac{(8!)^{5}+(8!)^3}{(8!)^3}=\frac{(8!)^{5}}{(8!)^3}+\frac{(8!)^{3}}{(8!)^3}-39=(8!)^2+1-39=(8!)^2-38\).

Now, since \(8!\) has 2 and 5 as its multiples, then it will have 0 as the units digit, so \((8!)^2\) will have two zeros in the end, which means that \((8!)^2-38\) will have 00-38=62 as the last digits: 6*2=12.

Answer: D.


Hi Bunnel,

I have a doubt here

I did it in a following way

((8!)^6 ((8!)^4-1))/((8!)^3 ((8!)^2-1)) then I will get (8!)^5 as i can ignore -1. (8!)^4-1 = (8!)^4.

I have seen this kind of solution on some of the problems where you ignore -1 . I did the same here but getting different result.

Please suggest.


That's totally wrong. We need to find the tens and units digits of some expression, ignoring anything there will change the result. Where did I say that we can ignore something when we want to find units/tens digit of an expression???
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 11 Jul 2013
Posts: 33
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Baker's Dozen  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2014, 05:40
Bunuel wrote:
6. A pool has two water pumps A and B and one drain C. Pump A alone can fill the whole pool in x hours, and pump B alone can fill the whole pool in y hours. The drain can empty the whole pool in z hours, where z>x. With pumps A and B both running and the drain C unstopped till the pool is filled, which of the following represents the amount of water in terms of the fraction of the pool which pump A pumped into the pool?
A. \(\frac{yz}{x+y+z}\)

B. \(\frac{yz}{yz+xz-xy}\)

C. \(\frac{yz}{yz+xz+xy}\)

D. \(\frac{xyz}{yz+xz-xy}\)

E. \(\frac{yz+xz-xy}{yz}\)

With pumps A and B both running and the drain unstopped the pool will be filled in a rate \(\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{y}-\frac{1}{z}=\frac{yz+xz-zy}{xyz}\) pool/hour. So, the pool will be filled in \(\frac{xyz}{yz+xz-xy}\) hours (time is reciprocal of rate).

In \(\frac{xyz}{yz+xz-xy}\) hours A will pump \(\frac{1}{x}*\frac{xyz}{yz+xz-xy}=\frac{yz}{yz+xz-xy}\) amount of the water into the pool.

Answer: B.


can you please tell me if there is any difeerence in these two statements

amount of water in terms of the fraction of the pool which pump A pumped into the pool?

amount of water which pump A pumped into the pool?

and if there is a difference can you please explain?

i had solved the question but was stumped by the language, is it simply asking me the amount of water pumped by A

thanks
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 49320
Re: Baker's Dozen  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2014, 09:16
tyagigar wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
6. A pool has two water pumps A and B and one drain C. Pump A alone can fill the whole pool in x hours, and pump B alone can fill the whole pool in y hours. The drain can empty the whole pool in z hours, where z>x. With pumps A and B both running and the drain C unstopped till the pool is filled, which of the following represents the amount of water in terms of the fraction of the pool which pump A pumped into the pool?
A. \(\frac{yz}{x+y+z}\)

B. \(\frac{yz}{yz+xz-xy}\)

C. \(\frac{yz}{yz+xz+xy}\)

D. \(\frac{xyz}{yz+xz-xy}\)

E. \(\frac{yz+xz-xy}{yz}\)

With pumps A and B both running and the drain unstopped the pool will be filled in a rate \(\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{y}-\frac{1}{z}=\frac{yz+xz-zy}{xyz}\) pool/hour. So, the pool will be filled in \(\frac{xyz}{yz+xz-xy}\) hours (time is reciprocal of rate).

In \(\frac{xyz}{yz+xz-xy}\) hours A will pump \(\frac{1}{x}*\frac{xyz}{yz+xz-xy}=\frac{yz}{yz+xz-xy}\) amount of the water into the pool.

Answer: B.


can you please tell me if there is any difeerence in these two statements

amount of water in terms of the fraction of the pool which pump A pumped into the pool?

amount of water which pump A pumped into the pool?

and if there is a difference can you please explain?

i had solved the question but was stumped by the language, is it simply asking me the amount of water pumped by A

thanks


The first question asks about the fraction of the water pumped by A. For example, if the capacity of the pool is 100 gallons and A pumped 50, then the fraction would be 50/100.

The second question is about the amount. In this case the answer would be 50 gallons.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Posts: 67
Re: Baker's Dozen  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2014, 09:30
Bunuel wrote:
SOLUTIONS:

1. A password on Mr. Wallace's briefcase consists of 5 digits. What is the probability that the password contains exactly three digit 6?

A. 860/90,000
B. 810/100,000
C. 858/100,000
D. 860/100,000
E. 1530/100,000

Total # of 5 digit codes is 10^5, notice that it's not 9*10^4, since in a code we can have zero as the first digit.

# of passwords with three digit 6 is \(9*9*C^3_5=810\): each out of two other digits (not 6) has 9 choices, thus we have 9*9 and \(C^3_5\) is ways to choose which 3 digits will be 6's out of 5 digits we have.

\(P=\frac{favorable}{total}=\frac{810}{10^5}\)

Answer: B.



Hello Bunuel.
My P&C area is kind of weak, and I am working on it. In the solution why is it important to pay attention to no. of ways three 6's can be used in the password? Can you please elaborate on why have you used the Combination formula at all in the solution?

Thanks.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 49320
Re: Baker's Dozen  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2014, 09:39
p2bhokie wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
SOLUTIONS:

1. A password on Mr. Wallace's briefcase consists of 5 digits. What is the probability that the password contains exactly three digit 6?

A. 860/90,000
B. 810/100,000
C. 858/100,000
D. 860/100,000
E. 1530/100,000

Total # of 5 digit codes is 10^5, notice that it's not 9*10^4, since in a code we can have zero as the first digit.

# of passwords with three digit 6 is \(9*9*C^3_5=810\): each out of two other digits (not 6) has 9 choices, thus we have 9*9 and \(C^3_5\) is ways to choose which 3 digits will be 6's out of 5 digits we have.

\(P=\frac{favorable}{total}=\frac{810}{10^5}\)

Answer: B.



Hello Bunuel.
My P&C area is kind of weak, and I am working on it. In the solution why is it important to pay attention to no. of ways three 6's can be used in the password? Can you please elaborate on why have you used the Combination formula at all in the solution?

Thanks.


We have 5-digit password: ABCDE, out of which there are three 6's. These 6's can take any place: ABC, ABD, ABE, ... \(C^3_5\) gives the number of ways to choose which 3 digits (which 3 letters out of 5) will be 6's:
666DE
66C6E
...
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Baker's Dozen &nbs [#permalink] 07 Sep 2014, 09:39

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6    Next  [ 105 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Baker's Dozen

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.