GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Jul 2018, 07:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Because country music plays on more radio stations there and is thus

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Posts: 15
Because country music plays on more radio stations there and is thus [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2011, 02:16
4
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  85% (hard)

Question Stats:

40% (01:19) correct 60% (01:12) wrong based on 129 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Because country music plays on more radio stations there and is thus better able to capitalize on its fan base, a country music concert featuring a recognizable country group typically attracts a crowd much larger in the southern United States than it does in the Northeast.

A. featuring a recognizable country group typically attracts a crowd much larger in the southern United States than it does in
B. featuring a recognizable country group will typically attract a much larger crowd if it occurs in the southern United States instead of
C. will typically attract a crowd much larger in the southern United States than one featuring a recognizable country group in
D. that is performed in the southern United States will typically attract much larger a crowd than if it occurred featuring the same country group in
E. in the southern United States will typically attract a much larger crowd than will a concert featuring the same country group performed in



Source: KAPLAN. (but beware many questions are simply copy of OG and i do not know whether they copied from somewhere else as well. I saw this one first on KAPLAN)

This is a rather convoluted sentence that makes a basic comparison between the size of a country music concert crowd in the South and one in the Northeast. The comparison must be logically and grammatically parallel. Only (E) meets this challenge, with the parallel construction will...will . The use of the underlined it in (A), (B) and (D) implies that the same concert performance could take place in two different places at the same time. Also, since there refers to the southern United States , we should move the latter phrase as close as possible to the former.

Answer (B) also eliminates in (instead of in the Northeast ), thus losing parallel structure. (C), as in (A), uses the awkward a crowd much larger , and keeps the southern United States too far away from there . In (D), the parallel structure is not maintained. The phrase much larger a crowd is even more awkward.


I doubt.. the answer. The first part of the sentence which gives the reasoning is in present tense. Logically, the conclusion should be drawn within the same time frame. hence.. the underlined part should be in simple present.

"it" i think is right.. since.. the subject( which is a random country concert featuring recognizable band) is a general one and can be used.

Need your opinion.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesJamboree Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Most Helpful Community Reply
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Sep 2015
Posts: 93
GMAT 1: 610 Q43 V31
GMAT 2: 610 Q47 V27
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 4: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Project Management (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User
Because country music plays on more radio stations there and has a lar [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2016, 13:01
3
2
Because country music plays on more radio stations there and has a larger fan base, a concert featuring a recognizable country music group typically attracts a crowd much larger in the southern United States than it does in the Northeast.

(A) featuring a recognizable country music group typically attracts a crowd much larger in the southern United States than it does in
(B) featuring a recognizable country music group will typically attract a much larger crowd if it is in the southern United States instead of
(C) will typically attract a crowd much larger in the southern United States than one featuring a recognizable country music group in
(D) that is performed in the southern United States will typically attract much larger a crowd than if it features the same recognizable country music group in
(E) in the southern United States will typically attract a much larger crowd than will a concert featuring the same recognizable country music group performed in

Attachment:
123.png
123.png [ 32.35 KiB | Viewed 1630 times ]



Num 1 - is the original sentence.

Num 2- i removed all the "junk" ( :] ) and arrive at a simpler structure.

the problem with number 2 that is the placment of the "will"- isn't that a wrong parallelism? (or why is this stcuture correct)

num 3 - if the sentence structure were like this option, then i would have understand the parallelism.



Thank you for your help,
General Discussion
Expert Post
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 25 Aug 2009
Posts: 640
Location: Cambridge, MA
Re: Because country music plays on more radio stations there and is thus [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 15 Jan 2011, 22:09
myside88 wrote:

I doubt.. the answer. The first part of the sentence which gives the reasoning is in present tense. Logically, the conclusion should be drawn within the same time frame. hence.. the underlined part should be in simple present.

"it" i think is right.. since.. the subject( which is a random country concert featuring recognizable band) is a general one and can be used.

Need your opinion.
Hi myside,

Sorry our explanation wasn't able to demystify the tricky question for you. I'll call this to our test teams attention, and we'll see if it needs revision. However, our answer is definitely correct.

The 'will' is fine here because we are making predictions for the future. You're right that changing tenses can be a GMAT warning sign, but in this case it's perfectly logical. Consider "Because I am studying for the GMAT, I will do well." The premise and conclusion do not necessarily have to be in the same time frame.

As for the 'it', using a pronoun refers to the noun earlier in the sentence--in this case, as you said, 'concert.' However, if we use 'it' we're referring to the SAME concert! The 'it' in choice A seems to imply that the same one will move from the north to the south, or exist simultaneously in both locations, attracting different crowds in different places. This isn't logical! Indeed, we must compare two different concerts, since a concert is a one-time, one-location event. Thus, (E) is the best choice.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions about this or other problems, and best of luck preparing!
_________________

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Image

Kaplan Reviews


Originally posted by KapTeacherEli on 15 Jan 2011, 17:32.
Last edited by KapTeacherEli on 15 Jan 2011, 22:09, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Posts: 15
Re: Because country music plays on more radio stations there and is thus [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2011, 20:45
Thanks Eli.

But I got a doubt-:

Can we draw an inference-: that in reasoning questions like this- (Because X, Y)

if X is in present tense and then y will be in future tense.
(similar on lines of if...then construction)


:) :) :)
myside88
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4667
Re: Because country music plays on more radio stations there and has a lar [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2016, 17:06
1
AlexGenkins1234 wrote:
Because country music plays on more radio stations there and has a larger fan base, a concert featuring a recognizable country music group typically attracts a crowd much larger in the southern United States than it does in the Northeast.

(A) featuring a recognizable country music group typically attracts a crowd much larger in the southern United States than it does in
(B) featuring a recognizable country music group will typically attract a much larger crowd if it is in the southern United States instead of
(C) will typically attract a crowd much larger in the southern United States than one featuring a recognizable country music group in
(D) that is performed in the southern United States will typically attract much larger a crowd than if it features the same recognizable country music group in
(E) in the southern United States will typically attract a much larger crowd than will a concert featuring the same recognizable country music group performed in

Dear AlexGenkins1234,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, I think you are getting confused on the issue of common words that omitted in the second branch of the parallelism. See this blog article:
Dropping Common Words in Parallel on the GMAT

Also, I think you have a misconception about parallelism. Parallelism is a pattern of logical matching which correlates forms of the same grammatical structure, but it doesn't require lockstep precision in all details. When folks get too mathematical about parallelism, they miss the point. In choice (E), putting the verb "will" at the beginning of the second branch of parallelism is a sophisticated rhetorical structure, typically of better writers. This is 100% correct. We have to have all the grammatical elements in both branches of the parallelism, but they do not have to appear lined up in the exact same order, as if it were a military formation. That is a shallow and rigid way of thinking about parallelism, and it will prevent you from understanding the many subtleties of rhetorical sophistication involving parallelism.

I would criticize the question for different reasons. (E) is correct, but I would argue that (A) and (D) are perfectly fine. I think the author of the question is playing on the ambiguity of the word "concert." Does the word "concert" denote the individual event, scheduled at a particular place and time, or does the word "concert" denote the act, the set of pieces, that are played repeatedly in different venues. In other words, if Band XYZ plays one show in Atlanta on Monday and then plays the exact same show in Chicago on Friday, is that one concert or two different concerts? In English, the word is used in both senses, so there is no way to resolve this ambiguity, and I believe that is what the author had in mind for dismissing (A). I would argue that (A) is 100% correct.

As someone who writes questions, I would give this particular question a grade of an F.

That Magoosh blog has four high quality practice questions on parallelism. Here's another:
With American cryptanalysts
When you submit your answer to that question, the following page will have a complete video explanation.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

SVP
SVP
User avatar
P
Joined: 26 Mar 2013
Posts: 1718
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Because country music plays on more radio stations there and has a lar [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2016, 18:06
mikemcgarry wrote:
Dear AlexGenkins1234,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, I think you are getting confused on the issue of common words that omitted in the second branch of the parallelism. See this blog article:
Dropping Common Words in Parallel on the GMAT

Also, I think you have a misconception about parallelism. Parallelism is a pattern of logical matching which correlates forms of the same grammatical structure, but it doesn't require lockstep precision in all details. When folks get too mathematical about parallelism, they miss the point. In choice (E), putting the verb "will" at the beginning of the second branch of parallelism is a sophisticated rhetorical structure, typically of better writers. This is 100% correct. We have to have all the grammatical elements in both branches of the parallelism, but they do not have to appear lined up in the exact same order, as if it were a military formation. That is a shallow and rigid way of thinking about parallelism, and it will prevent you from understanding the many subtleties of rhetorical sophistication involving parallelism.

I would criticize the question for different reasons. (E) is correct, but I would argue that (A) and (D) are perfectly fine. I think the author of the question is playing on the ambiguity of the word "concert." Does the word "concert" denote the individual event, scheduled at a particular place and time, or does the word "concert" denote the act, the set of pieces, that are played repeatedly in different venues. In other words, if Band XYZ plays one show in Atlanta on Monday and then plays the exact same show in Chicago on Friday, is that one concert or two different concerts? In English, the word is used in both senses, so there is no way to resolve this ambiguity, and I believe that is what the author had in mind for dismissing (A). I would argue that (A) is 100% correct.

As someone who writes questions, I would give this particular question a grade of an F.

That Magoosh blog has four high quality practice questions on parallelism. Here's another:
With American cryptanalysts
When you submit your answer to that question, the following page will have a complete video explanation.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)


Hi Mike,

I had got the same sense that author of the question plays with with word 'concert'. I have the feeling from the way s/he insists on the answer choices. I agree that A may be correct. But I feel that D, although it is grammatically correct, coneys strong meaning when using conditional. I cancelled D because of that reason.

What do you think??

Thanks in advance
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4667
Re: Because country music plays on more radio stations there and has a lar [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2016, 11:01
Mo2men wrote:
Hi Mike,

I had got the same sense that author of the question plays with with word 'concert'. I have the feeling from the way s/he insists on the answer choices. I agree that A may be correct. But I feel that D, although it is grammatically correct, coneys strong meaning when using conditional. I cancelled D because of that reason.

What do you think??

Thanks in advance

Dear Mo2men,

I'm happy to respond. :-) My friend, I am a little unclear what you mean when you say that option (D) "coneys strong meaning"---- what exactly do you mean by "strong meaning"?

Here is version (D) of the sentence:
Because country music plays on more radio stations there and has a larger fan base, a concert that is performed in the southern United States will typically attract much larger a crowd than if it features the same recognizable country music group in the Northeast.

Do you feel that the meaning differs from the prompt, or implies something more than the prompt implies?

Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

SVP
SVP
User avatar
P
Joined: 26 Mar 2013
Posts: 1718
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Because country music plays on more radio stations there and has a lar [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2016, 12:02
mikemcgarry wrote:
Mo2men wrote:
Hi Mike,

I had got the same sense that author of the question plays with with word 'concert'. I have the feeling from the way s/he insists on the answer choices. I agree that A may be correct. But I feel that D, although it is grammatically correct, coneys strong meaning when using conditional. I cancelled D because of that reason.

What do you think??

Thanks in advance

Dear Mo2men,

I'm happy to respond. :-) My friend, I am a little unclear what you mean when you say that option (D) "coneys strong meaning"---- what exactly do you mean by "strong meaning"?

Here is version (D) of the sentence:
Because country music plays on more radio stations there and has a larger fan base, a concert that is performed in the southern United States will typically attract much larger a crowd than if it features the same recognizable country music group in the Northeast.

Do you feel that the meaning differs from the prompt, or implies something more than the prompt implies?

Mike :-)


Hi Mike,

Thanks for your care.

I meant that using conditional phrase is so strong, although it may be grammatically correct. I felt that the meaning does not need that conditional condition.
So I assumed the right answer would be conveyed by direct comparison between 2 things ' a concert in a place' with 'a concert in other place'.

I hope I conveyed what I meant.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 01 Mar 2014
Posts: 129
Schools: Tepper '18
Re: Because country music plays on more radio stations there and has a lar [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2016, 13:19
mikemcgarry wrote:
AlexGenkins1234 wrote:
Because country music plays on more radio stations there and has a larger fan base, a concert featuring a recognizable country music group typically attracts a crowd much larger in the southern United States than it does in the Northeast.

(A) featuring a recognizable country music group typically attracts a crowd much larger in the southern United States than it does in
(B) featuring a recognizable country music group will typically attract a much larger crowd if it is in the southern United States instead of
(C) will typically attract a crowd much larger in the southern United States than one featuring a recognizable country music group in
(D) that is performed in the southern United States will typically attract much larger a crowd than if it features the same recognizable country music group in
(E) in the southern United States will typically attract a much larger crowd than will a concert featuring the same recognizable country music group performed in

Dear AlexGenkins1234,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, I think you are getting confused on the issue of common words that omitted in the second branch of the parallelism. See this blog article:
Dropping Common Words in Parallel on the GMAT

Also, I think you have a misconception about parallelism. Parallelism is a pattern of logical matching which correlates forms of the same grammatical structure, but it doesn't require lockstep precision in all details. When folks get too mathematical about parallelism, they miss the point. In choice (E), putting the verb "will" at the beginning of the second branch of parallelism is a sophisticated rhetorical structure, typically of better writers. This is 100% correct. We have to have all the grammatical elements in both branches of the parallelism, but they do not have to appear lined up in the exact same order, as if it were a military formation. That is a shallow and rigid way of thinking about parallelism, and it will prevent you from understanding the many subtleties of rhetorical sophistication involving parallelism.

I would criticize the question for different reasons. (E) is correct, but I would argue that (A) and (D) are perfectly fine. I think the author of the question is playing on the ambiguity of the word "concert." Does the word "concert" denote the individual event, scheduled at a particular place and time, or does the word "concert" denote the act, the set of pieces, that are played repeatedly in different venues. In other words, if Band XYZ plays one show in Atlanta on Monday and then plays the exact same show in Chicago on Friday, is that one concert or two different concerts? In English, the word is used in both senses, so there is no way to resolve this ambiguity, and I believe that is what the author had in mind for dismissing (A). I would argue that (A) is 100% correct.

As someone who writes questions, I would give this particular question a grade of an F.

That Magoosh blog has four high quality practice questions on parallelism. Here's another:
With American cryptanalysts
When you submit your answer to that question, the following page will have a complete video explanation.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)



I went with A as I felt that E changes the intended meaning. The phrase 'typically attracts' shows continuity, whereas option E suggests what WILL happen if the concert was to be held in these 2 different locations. It talks about future, whereas the authors intent is to describe a phenomenon.

mike, do you agree?
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4667
Re: Because country music plays on more radio stations there and has a lar [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2016, 16:34
Mo2men wrote:
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your care.

I meant that using conditional phrase is so strong, although it may be grammatically correct. I felt that the meaning does not need that conditional condition.
So I assumed the right answer would be conveyed by direct comparison between 2 things ' a concert in a place' with 'a concert in other place'.

I hope I conveyed what I meant.

Dear Mo2men,
I'm happy to respond. :-) My friend, version (D) is a 100% correct way of constructing a straightforward comparison. Consider this sentence:
A picnic on a sunny day is a delight, certainly far more enjoyable than one if there is rain.
We use conditional statements to specify conditions, and it is only natural that we might compare circumstances under condition to the same circumstances under other conditions. In such a case, as in (D) or the above "picnic" sentence, it is perfectly natural to use a conditional statement to express the changed conditions. There is absolutely nothing awkward or unnatural about this. Does this make sense?
MeghaP wrote:
I went with A as I felt that E changes the intended meaning. The phrase 'typically attracts' shows continuity, whereas option E suggests what WILL happen if the concert was to be held in these 2 different locations. It talks about future, whereas the authors intent is to describe a phenomenon.

mike, do you agree?

Dear MeghaP,
I'm happy to respond. :-) My friend, I don't agree. Both (A) and (E) express present moment factual situations. Choice (A) emphasizes the ongoing nature of the pattern; choice (E) states the pattern in terms of a prediction, but the implication is that this pattern is reliable precisely because it's been going on for a while. In terms of practical meaning, there is virtually none between (A) and (E) on this particular point. Either way would be an acceptable way to talk about a pattern in the present. Does this make sense?

BTW, notice that even though my personal name is "Mike," the user mike is someone other than I. That is not my username. You sent a notification to some random other person with the username mike.

To both of you good people, Mo2men and MeghaP, I would say: this is not a particularly good question. It doesn't necessarily help you to wrestle with the subtleties of poorly constructed questions. You would be much better served putting your time & energy & attention into official questions and other high quality questions. Magoosh & MGMAT have excellent questions, and I have been impressed by the vast majority of Veritas questions I have seen. Focus your efforts there.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

SVP
SVP
User avatar
P
Joined: 26 Mar 2013
Posts: 1718
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Because country music plays on more radio stations there and has a lar [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2016, 16:55
:thanks
mikemcgarry wrote:

Dear Mo2men,
I'm happy to respond. :-) My friend, version (D) is a 100% correct way of constructing a straightforward comparison. Consider this sentence:
A picnic on a sunny day is a delight, certainly far more enjoyable than one if there is rain.
We use conditional statements to specify conditions, and it is only natural that we might compare circumstances under condition to the same circumstances under other conditions. In such a case, as in (D) or the above "picnic" sentence, it is perfectly natural to use a conditional statement to express the changed conditions. There is absolutely nothing awkward or unnatural about this. Does this make sense?
MeghaP wrote:
I went with A as I felt that E changes the intended meaning. The phrase 'typically attracts' shows continuity, whereas option E suggests what WILL happen if the concert was to be held in these 2 different locations. It talks about future, whereas the authors intent is to describe a phenomenon.

mike, do you agree?


To both of you good people, Mo2men and MeghaP, I would say: this is not a particularly good question. It doesn't necessarily help you to wrestle with the subtleties of poorly constructed questions. You would be much better served putting your time & energy & attention into official questions and other high quality questions. Magoosh & MGMAT have excellent questions, and I have been impressed by the vast majority of Veritas questions I have seen. Focus your efforts there.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)


Hi Mike,
Thanks for your full response. Although it is not high quality question, the conversion with you is worth a lot. :thanks
Director
Director
User avatar
G
Joined: 24 Nov 2015
Posts: 557
Location: United States (LA)
Reviews Badge
Re: Because country music plays on more radio stations there and is thus [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2016, 15:15
confused between options A and E as to which one is the correct option
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 09 Feb 2015
Posts: 377
Location: India
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Because country music plays on more radio stations there and is thus [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2016, 23:10
chetan2u
in the southern United States will typically attract a much larger crowd than will a concert featuring the same country group performed in


Can you please explain this one!
The reason i rejected E is for the particular word used "Performed" .
When the sentence is in future tense wouldnt "performed" be wrong here?
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 6206
Re: Because country music plays on more radio stations there and is thus [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2016, 01:55
goforgmat wrote:
chetan2u
in the southern United States will typically attract a much larger crowd than will a concert featuring the same country group performed in


Can you please explain this one!
The reason i rejected E is for the particular word used "Performed" .
When the sentence is in future tense wouldnt "performed" be wrong here?



Hi,

firstly the non-underlined uses THERE, and so what there refers to should be as close to the beginning of new clause...
here there is in souther US.....
so this prepositional phrase should be next to concert..

Now on the second point performed...
Performed is a Past participle and it does not talk of anything about the TENSE part, but just modifies the noun/noun phrase right before it..
the verb is WILL...

Another example where performed is PAST participle-
Performed for the first time in the 18th centuary, the play "The Nobleman" was a big hit.

The cultural exhibition will include the concerts performed by young artists.
_________________

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html


GMAT online Tutor

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE
Joined: 15 Aug 2014
Posts: 323
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Because country music plays on more radio stations there and is thus [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2016, 02:02
chetan2u wrote:
goforgmat wrote:
chetan2u
in the southern United States will typically attract a much larger crowd than will a concert featuring the same country group performed in


Can you please explain this one!
The reason i rejected E is for the particular word used "Performed" .
When the sentence is in future tense wouldnt "performed" be wrong here?



Hi,

firstly the non-underlined uses THERE, and so what there refers to should be as close to the beginning of new clause...
here there is in souther US.....
so this prepositional phrase should be next to concert..

Now on the second point performed...
Performed is a Past participle and it does not talk of anything about the TENSE part, but just modifies the noun/noun phrase right before it..
the verb is WILL...

Another example where performed is PAST participle-
Performed for the first time in the 18th centuary, the play "The Nobleman" was a big hit.

The cultural exhibition will include the concerts performed by young artists.


Hi chetan2u,

Subject in option 'E' is country music which is singular, but it uses plural verb attract.

please explain
_________________

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

I need to work on timing badly!!

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 6206
Re: Because country music plays on more radio stations there and is thus [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2016, 02:21
1
smartguy595 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
goforgmat wrote:
chetan2u
in the southern United States will typically attract a much larger crowd than will a concert featuring the same country group performed in


Can you please explain this one!
The reason i rejected E is for the particular word used "Performed" .
When the sentence is in future tense wouldnt "performed" be wrong here?



Hi,

firstly the non-underlined uses THERE, and so what there refers to should be as close to the beginning of new clause...
here there is in souther US.....
so this prepositional phrase should be next to concert..

Now on the second point performed...
Performed is a Past participle and it does not talk of anything about the TENSE part, but just modifies the noun/noun phrase right before it..
the verb is WILL...

Another example where performed is PAST participle-
Performed for the first time in the 18th centuary, the play "The Nobleman" was a big hit.

The cultural exhibition will include the concerts performed by young artists.


Hi chetan2u,

Subject in option 'E' is country music which is singular, but it uses plural verb attract.

please explain


Hi,

the sentence is in future tense -WILL...
so the verb will be in the base form, that is w/o 's'
Only present tense uses plural/singular form
_________________

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html


GMAT online Tutor

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 30 Aug 2017
Posts: 92
Location: Korea, Republic of
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3.68
Re: Because country music plays on more radio stations there and is thus [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2017, 07:43
attract a crowd much larger

Is it a right sentence?
Re: Because country music plays on more radio stations there and is thus   [#permalink] 21 Nov 2017, 07:43
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Because country music plays on more radio stations there and is thus

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.