It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 05:30

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Wharton R1 | Stanford R1 | Tuck R1 | Ross R1 | Haas R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Best volunteer category for Mccombs MBA

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Best volunteer category for Mccombs MBA [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2017, 13:27
Which volunteer categories have you guys found are the most effective when it comes to applying for the MBA program at top business schools. Do they look more favorably at volunteer
activity not related to your profession, or does it not matter at all (for instance I'm in Information Systems and considering to volunteer at AITP as an officer)

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 750 Q42 V50
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Insurance)
Re: Best volunteer category for Mccombs MBA [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2017, 13:32
egrizzly wrote:
Which volunteer categories have you guys found are the most effective when it comes to applying for the MBA program at top business schools. Do they look more favorably at volunteer
activity not related to your profession, or does it not matter at all (for instance I'm in Information Systems and considering to volunteer at AITP as an officer)

i am not an expert on this, but from what i heard from respected consultants, you are better off volunteering in non-related field. this will diversify your personality and perspectives, and is therefore better. however, it also depends on the impact and on your true passion. if you are really passionate about something, and you make great impact, i don't think anybody will care in which field exactly you did this.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2017, 13:33
egrizzly wrote:

and by the way, if you volunteered right before your MBA, this of course is not as strong as volunteering consistently for several years.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2017, 13:37
mrsonmax wrote:
egrizzly wrote:

and by the way, if you volunteered right before your MBA, this of course is not as strong as volunteering consistently for several years.

My undergrad was just this past Fall 2016. I heard they do not take into consideration volunteer time unless it's post-undergrad.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2017, 13:43
egrizzly wrote:
mrsonmax wrote:
egrizzly wrote:

My undergrad was just this past Fall 2016. I heard they do not take into consideration volunteer time unless it's post-undergrad.

Man, i wish i had the same problem now, but my graduation was in 2004 8-) anyways, you have everything ahead of you, and best of luck in your apps.

BSchool Forum Moderator
S

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 38

Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 2.6
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2017, 13:48
The kind of volunteer activity bschools like is the kind where it is obvious that you are doing it because if your passion for the organization and not because of something to put in your resume.

Personally I have volunteered for the same organization all throughout my undergrad until now. I started my work with them well before I even considered bschool. I would suggest that you look at what you are passionate about and what you enjoy and find organizations that share in that passion rather than just looking at what will look good on your apps because by virtue of doing it that way it will inevitably become a positive on your application.

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 38

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2017, 19:03
FuturePM91 wrote:
The kind of volunteer activity bschools like is the kind where it is obvious that you are doing it because if your passion for the organization and not because of something to put in your resume.

Personally I have volunteered for the same organization all throughout my undergrad until now. I started my work with them well before I even considered bschool. I would suggest that you look at what you are passionate about and what you enjoy and find organizations that share in that passion rather than just looking at what will look good on your apps because by virtue of doing it that way it will inevitably become a positive on your application.

Posted from my mobile device

wow, thanks Future. this goes a long way in answering my question. I know exactly what that passion is actually.

Re: Best volunteer category for Mccombs MBA   [#permalink] 28 Oct 2017, 19:03

Best volunteer category for Mccombs MBA

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap