Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 09:54 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 09:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.46
WE:Analyst (Real Estate)
Send PM
Vantage Point Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.46
WE:Analyst (Real Estate)
Send PM
Re: Booth Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
VantagePointKatie wrote:
Fran94 wrote:
Nationality: Brazil
Undergraduate Qualification: Bachelor's in Business Administration (low-than-average GPA. Had some hard time getting used to college at the beginning)
Graduate Qualification: Master's degree in Finance (high GPA, ended top 5 of a 120 class)
Other qualifications: CFA Charterholder
GMAT: 740
Work experience: 6 in accounting (Multinational firm), where I was a team leader for 3 years. 2 as an Associate in a top international investment bank, but working closely on capital markets.

My post-MBA goal is clear for me. I want it to help me leverage getting into investment banking in a US company. I have a strong desire to gain experience internationally and I feel new york it is.

Any advise to get better?

Your profile sounds solid, although I second the question about extracurriculars. The one risk I see is that you have more experience than average, which is roughly 5 years. You will need to build a solid narrative around why the MBA is right for you now and how it will build upon your current qualifications / experience (particularly the masters in finance). I know your post is on the Booth board, but I always advise clients to spread their risk around by applying to a handful of schools. Good luck!

Totally agree, looking at the schools I applied to and got into should be a great example of how fickle the process is lol.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: Booth Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Kudos
easterngod wrote:
VantagePointKatie wrote:
Fran94 wrote:
Undergraduate Qualification: Bachelor's in Business Administration (low-than-average GPA. Had some hard time getting used to college at the beginning)
Graduate Qualification: Master's degree in Finance (high GPA, ended top 5 of a 120 class)
Work experience: 6 in accounting (Multinational firm), where I was a team leader for 3 years. 2 as an Associate in a top international investment bank, but working closely on capital markets.

My post-MBA goal is clear for me. I want it to help me leverage getting into investment banking in a US company. I have a strong desire to gain experience internationally and I feel new york it is.

Your profile sounds solid, although I second the question about extracurriculars. The one risk I see is that you have more experience than average, which is roughly 5 years. You will need to build a solid narrative around why the MBA is right for you now and how it will build upon your current qualifications / experience (particularly the masters in finance). I know your post is on the Booth board, but I always advise clients to spread their risk around by applying to a handful of schools. Good luck!

Totally agree, looking at the schools I applied to and got into should be a great example of how fickle the process is lol.

Would you have any advise to give me?

Extracurriculars aren't that solid honestly.
- was a teaching assistant ad-honorem in Statistics 1 for 8 months
- assisted a Junior Achievement event hosted by the company I worked for
- not sure if it helps, but I have solid programming skills (Python and VBA)

i started working at 19 to bring money to home, so I pretty much completed the undergrad career while working full time. And while working, I started to grow in the company, becoming a team leader at the age of 21. What can I do to improve my profile?
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Expert Reply
Fran94 wrote:
Hi @Fran94, It looks to me like you have a good chance and it is worth applying. At this point, I would not worry about trying to improve your profile-- but simply to present yourself in the best light. I suggest that you review our Booth Essay tips as you work through the application. You can also review our How to Get Into Booth tips. We have several counselors with experience helping clients be successful with Booth applications and encourage you to reach out for a free consult to learn more. Even a few hours of our time could help you stay focused in your application. Best wishes!

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Nationality: Chinese Female (International)
Undergraduate Qualification: Bachelor in Business Administration (4 year course with a GPA of 3.5) in the United States
GMAT: 730
Work experience: 2.5 years in investment banking as a generalist in the United States
Extracurriculars: Moderate: Young professional boards in a few non-profit organization based in New York City, mentoring young children and guidance on domestic relationship
References: Will be able to get some strong references from people in Booth Alums
Vantage Point Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Blaire wrote:
Undergraduate Qualification: Bachelor in Business Administration (4 year course with a GPA of 3.5) in the United States
Work experience: 2.5 years in investment banking as a generalist in the United States
Extracurriculars: Moderate: Young professional boards in a few non-profit organization based in New York City, mentoring young children and guidance on domestic relationship
References: Will be able to get some strong references from people in Booth Alums

Hi Blaire! The basics of your profile look solid. The key piece of info I'm missing is your post-MBA goal? This will be a critical component of your application. You are also on the young side, so might benefit from waiting one more year to apply. The current turbulence may present some great opportunities to demonstrate leadership and other qualities top programs like Booth are looking for. Good luck!
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Expert Reply
Blaire wrote:
[color=#0000ff]Hi Blaire-- I have had a lot of experience reviewing applications for Chinese applicants and also coaching them to successful MBA admissions. The good news is your 730 is a strong GMAT-- the bad news is there are a lot of other Chinese women with that score or higher. So to stand out you need to make yourself a bit more memorable. What industries did you cover? Is there something about your pre MBA experience that can help convince adcom you will be more successful in your post MBA role? What is it that you want to do? Why? Was there an experience in your current work that helped you see that you needed an MBA to reach your goal? We have a process to help you tell stories-- a lot of them-- to see if we can uncover some unique threads that help you stand out more. This matters more than having Booth alums. Make sure your references are the people who have supervised you and know your work best. Don't worry if they are Booth alums or not-- if they are great-- but if the person who is your biggest champion is not a Booth alum-- still use them anyway. I think you can be successful but I do encourage you to spend some time now on telling unique stories about yourself so that you will stand out when it comes time to apply. Please reach out to me for a free consult if you want to discuss this further. th23autolink_encode_start_nd3i9ltoPCEtLSBtIC0tPjxhIGNsYXNzPSJwb3N0bGluayIgaHJlZj0iaHR0cHM6Ly9zdHJhdHVzYWRtaXNzaW9uc2NvdW5zZWxpbmcuY29tL2NvbnN1bHQvIj5odHRwczovL3N0cmF0dXNhZG1pc3Npb25zY291bnNlbGluZy5jb20vY29uc3VsdC88L2E+PCEtLSBtIC0tPg==th23autolink_encode_end_nd3i9lto
References: Will be able to get some strong references from people in Booth Alums[/color]
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Send PM
Background and nationality - Indian (male), age at application stage - 26, Business education (Undergrad and post-grad from top tier institutes in India)
GMAT: 730 -740 (Realistic target)
Undergrad Gpa- 7.48(equivalent to 4.0 acc to gmac)

Post grad Gpa - 2.93/4.33 from IIM (top 30% of class)

Work experience and leadership - 3.5 years (during application) CPG firm in India, led a team of 10+ management graduates for all these 3.5 yrs, promotion in 2 years, youngest and fastest to get promoted, youngest state head, highest growth and achievement nos. in first 2 years

Recommendations from Pan India Heads

Community and others -
1) volunteering at a free school for the underprivileged - arranged youth awareness camps and increased enrollment at school
2) Volunteering at a school for special needs children - mostly kids who don't have resources for correct diagnosis - tried to teach them nuances of human interaction and to make them independent in their daily tasks

Hosted a tedx event and achieved a blackbelt in martial arts, opportunity to represent country and state in international and national competitions

Post MBA goals - transition to consulting and then start an entrepreneurial venture

zero international experience, but experienced many cultures in India

Ideal GMAt score considering my background

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Send PM
doublewhammy wrote:
Background and nationality - Indian (male), age at application stage - 26, Business education (Undergrad and post-grad from top tier institutes in India)
GMAT: 730 -740 (Realistic target)
Undergrad Gpa- 7.48(equivalent to 4.0 acc to gmac)

Post grad Gpa - 2.93/4.33 from IIM (top 30% of class)

Work experience and leadership - 3.5 years (during application) CPG firm in India, led a team of 10+ management graduates for all these 3.5 yrs, promotion in 2 years, youngest and fastest to get promoted, youngest state head, highest growth and achievement nos. in first 2 years

Recommendations from Pan India Heads

Community and others -
1) volunteering at a free school for the underprivileged - arranged youth awareness camps and increased enrollment at school
2) Volunteering at a school for special needs children - mostly kids who don't have resources for correct diagnosis - tried to teach them nuances of human interaction and to make them independent in their daily tasks

Hosted a tedx event and achieved a blackbelt in martial arts, opportunity to represent country and state in international and national competitions

Post MBA goals - transition to consulting and then start an entrepreneurial venture

zero international experience, but experienced many cultures in India

Ideal GMAt score considering my background

Posted from my mobile device

VantagePointKatie
easterngod
Admissionado
SiaAdmissions
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools: Sloan '22
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GRE 1: Q170 V162
Send PM
Hi,

Hope whoever is reading this is doing well and keeping safe.

As an Indian IT Male, how good are my chances at scoring a Booth admit?

Indian Male, 26
GRE - 332 (170Q 162V)
Planning to take GMAT soon, hoping for a score of ~750 (consistent with mocks). Hoping to score a scholarship

Education: IIT (top 3 engg school in India) graduate, Chemical Engg (bachelors+masters)
GPA: 8.4/10
Extra-curriculars: Secretary (elected by ~400 students), Hostel water-polo team, College festival coordinator, drummer (planning to appear for grade exams soon)

Work-Experience (4 years at the time of application): Decision Science and Business Analytics
1 year as a consultant with a data analytics consultancy (1 promotion + award)
2 years as a product analyst with a top global financial services company (top performer in team, 1 promotion, closely worked with partners around the globe to drive multi-million $ impact)
Current: 1 year as an associate (decision sciences) with a very selective top global Investment Bank

Post MBA aspirations:
short term: Strategy Consulting
long term: Big data augmented strategy roles at Big-tech firms

Primarily targeting 'quant-y' schools with a strong international brand, as I plan to move back to India later on (the brand would help open a LOT of doors) and pursue a role that is relatively quant heavy.

Other schools: Sloan, Kellogg, Darden, Tuck, Yale, INSEAD

Thanks a lot!

Originally posted by ajay94 on 13 May 2020, 05:12.
Last edited by ajay94 on 12 Jan 2021, 03:34, edited 3 times in total.
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi ajay94,
Hope you are doing well also.
I think overall you have a strong profile and have a good shot at Booth. I would apply to a few schools outside the M7 too, just in case, so overall it looks like you have a good list of schools.
In terms of specific strengths of your profile, your GPA from an IIT is great, and that's great you were involved in extracurriculars too. I think your focus on analytics/decision science will be attractive too, especially with top companies and a bit of international exposure through clients. I would be curious to know more about the job moves you made. On the one hand, having experience in consulting and financial services and a bank provides you a more diverse view, but it also could be seen by admissions as lacking some consistency. So make sure you use your application materials to explain your motivations for making these changes and how they connect together to inform your post-MBA goals.
I assume you are taking the GMAT too because you're targeting consulting? Because you could apply with your GRE score, which is very high (converts to a 760, FYI).
Hope that helps, and best of luck with the process!
Kate

ajay94 wrote:
Hi,

Hope whoever is reading this is doing well and keeping safe.

As an Indian IT Male, how good are my chances at scoring a Booth admit?

Indian Male, 26
GRE - 332 (170Q 162V)
Planning to take GMAT soon, hoping for a score of ~750 (consistent with mocks). Hoping to score a scholarship

Education: IIT Madras (top 3 engg school in India) graduate, Chemical Engg (bachelors+masters)
GPA: 8.39/10
Extra-curriculars: Hostel Literary Secretary (elected by ~400 students), Hostel water-polo team, College festival coordinator, drummer (planning to appear for grade exams soon)

Work-Experience (4 years at the time of application): Decision Science and Business Analytics
1 year as a consultant with a data analytics consultancy (1 promotion + award)
2 years as a product analyst with a top global financial services company (top performer in team, 1 promotion, closely worked with partners around the globe to drive multi-million $ impact)
Current: 1 year as an associate (decision sciences) with a very selective top global Investment Bank

Post MBA aspirations:
short term: Strategy Consulting
long term: Big data augmented strategy roles at Big-tech firms

Volunteered for 10 months at a local Animal welfare NGO

Primarily targeting 'quant-y' schools with a strong international brand, as I plan to move back to India later on (the brand would help open a LOT of doors) and pursue a role that is relatively quant heavy.

Other schools: Sloan, Kellogg, Darden, Tuck, Yale, INSEAD

Thanks a lot!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Hello all, and hope everybody is staying safe! Would love an honest profile evaluation if possible.

Background:
White Male
Age 26

College:
Finance degree from "Public Ivy" (but not one that's quite UVA/Berkeley caliber) with top 10 undergraduate business school
3.6 GPA

Work Experience:
4 years at top real estate mortgage banking firm (though unsure if MBA programs have a sense for what "top" mortgage banking firms are, so not sure how much this helps me). Have held multiple roles within the firm, a path I chose to broaden my skill set.

Extracurriculars:
Admittedly a weak spot. Outside of work I stay involved with a leadership role in my high school's alumni association, which is something I'm passionate about, but I'm not sure how this would be viewed by an MBA admissions office.

Post MBA Goals:
Move to investment side of real estate, leverage Booth brand and network to help source equity investor relationships. However a lot of the interest in pursuing an MBA is to explore the PropTech field, where I could leverage my real estate knowledge but would certainly be looking at it though a different lens that MBA classes and connections would really help with.

Other comments:
Would be nervous to seek a recommendation from a direct supervisor given economic uncertainty during the pandemic, but could get a good recommendation from a direct supervisor who now works for a competitor.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: MBA and Beyond
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Shantanu: Sharma
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
WE:Other (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Hi @gmatfan5,

I remember evaluating your profile for Kellogg too and thank you for giving an opportunity to evaluate the same for Booth too.
You have got a great profile there! Booth is a great school when it comes to Tech (20.7%) as a post-MBA goal.

Booth looks for the following criteria while evaluating MBA applicants:
1. Academics
2. Collaborative Leadership
3. Career

GMAT score of 730 is great for Booth but with that you will need to showcase your intellectual skills in the essays and interviews. Having multiple roles at work definitely puts you in a good spot but for that you need to leverage these according to the values that Booth demands.
I wouldn't worry much about MBA programs having a sense of what 'top' mortgage banking firms are (which they would know) as long as I can showcase what the school is looking for in an applicant. In addition, your constant touch with your alma mater will be an icing on the cake highlighted with philanthropic tendencies in your leadership.

About recommendation, Booth specifically asks for a current supervisor but if that is not possible you can turn to the former one with an explanation of the same.
Considering your score and profile, I believe you have a fair chance to make it to Booth. What’s going to matter most in your application is how you connect the experiential dots and build a great story to stand out from other applicants in the pool.

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma,
Founder and Admissions Consultant, MBA and Beyond
Schedule a free session
Email: shantanu@mbaandbeyond.com
What s app: +65-97158525
Call: +49-15212121641
Linkedin

quote="gmatfan5"]Hello all, and hope everybody is staying safe! Would love an honest profile evaluation if possible.

Background:
White Male
Age 26

College:
Finance degree from "Public Ivy" (but not one that's quite UVA/Berkeley caliber) with top 10 undergraduate business school
3.6 GPA

Work Experience:
4 years at top real estate mortgage banking firm (though unsure if MBA programs have a sense for what "top" mortgage banking firms are, so not sure how much this helps me). Have held multiple roles within the firm, a path I chose to broaden my skill set.

Extracurriculars:
Admittedly a weak spot. Outside of work I stay involved with a leadership role in my high school's alumni association, which is something I'm passionate about, but I'm not sure how this would be viewed by an MBA admissions office.

Post MBA Goals:
Move to investment side of real estate, leverage Booth brand and network to help source equity investor relationships. However a lot of the interest in pursuing an MBA is to explore the PropTech field, where I could leverage my real estate knowledge but would certainly be looking at it though a different lens that MBA classes and connections would really help with.

Other comments:
Would be nervous to seek a recommendation from a direct supervisor given economic uncertainty during the pandemic, but could get a good recommendation from a direct supervisor who now works for a competitor.[/quote]

Originally posted by MBAnBConsulting on 30 Jun 2020, 01:25.
Last edited by MBAnBConsulting on 14 Jul 2020, 07:39, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Send PM
Hi Shishou,

You have got an amazing profile. And your entrepreneurial experience gives an edge to your profile, which will definitely make you stand out of the pool.

Booth majorly evaluates the candidates on these 3 values:
1. Academics
2. Collaborative Leadership
3. Career

I see a good mix of all 3 in your profile. On academic and work front your profile seems promising. You show great signs of a collaborative leader and the experiences of having founded training programmes plus authoring two books put you at a great spot, though you may have to give valid reasons for starting a business different from the industry where you gained most of the experiences. What impressed me the most is you play guitar at a church which you should definitely bring out in your application.

I would like to know what other colleges you are looking for, since with this profile you have quite fair chances at other top b-schools too. Which stage you have reached, now that the applications for the next intake are about to start?
If you’d like, I am happy to hop on a call sometime this week to discuss your chances in further detail. Feel free to book my calendar as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma,
Schedule a free session
Linkedin

Shishou wrote:
Hello,please evaluate my fit for Booth Class of 2023

Male,24

Nationality : Ghanaian
Bachelors Degree in Electrical/Electronics Engineering ,First Class Honours
GPA 3.89
Was on Dean's List of Best Students(2016)

1st generation colllege student

GMAT: 72O

WORK EXPERIENCE :

WE : 4 YEARS at Matriculation
1. Work for the only private electricty utility provider in the country.
Developed all the utility's revenue collection models, reckoners, load forecasting models
2.Have been appointed to head utility expansion efforts into gas distribution to
industrial companies,
3. Co-lead of project team to build Africa's largest rooftop solar plant

4. Started a business importing sugar from Turkey. Business has since failed.

5. Currently run a jersey distribution business

Extracurriculars:
1. Ambassador,Ghana Tech Summit: Liase with tech entrepreneurs in Accra and prepare them for the yearly 3-day Tech Summit
2.Founded and run two training programs called "Small Business Accounting" and "Financial Modelling and Accounting"
I have taught both programs to 124 small business owners and professionals

3. I run a business that works with the program to provide full service tax
and reporting services to our customers

4. I run a weekly finance newsletter on finance,banking and business.

5.Have written two guides : "Fixed Income Markets and Investment in Ghana"
and "The First Ever Guide to Repo Markets"

Other stuff :
1. Bilingual(English and French)

2. Play guitar at church

Purpose of MBA : Short term -Work in IB for about 7 years(specifically tech coverage),and then use my connections to start a boutique IB,private equity firm that focuses on small ,middle market private tech companies with 2- years of profitability.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,

I'm planning to apply to Booth in R1. Please find my profile below.

Background and nationality: Male 24, Indian

Undergrad Information:
-Graduated in Bachelors of Technology majoring in Electronics and Communications with a 7.91 CGPA(79.1 %), from GITAM University (Not a top tier university in India).
-Published a paper at IJARCEE in 2017
-ExCom member of the cultural committee 2015 & 2016

GMAT: 740 (Please let me know if I should retake and improve my score)

Work experience and leadership:
-Will be completing 4 years by June'21 at ADP (a US-based fortune 500 and blue-chip company) as a software engineer.
-Worked in the Product Implementation domain, with strong interaction with clients(Fortune 100 and 500 companies) and my on-shore partners from US and Philippines, giving me good amount of international exposure( specifically how people from different parts of the world perceive a client's request and negotiating with them to develop a common ground for us and deliver it to the client).
-Was able to suggest/change/improve many longstanding procedures and practices in my India team, to decrease our delivery timelines to clients and drastically improve their experience.
-Led a team of 4 fresh graduates with their onboarding, training, work assignments and mentoring.
-Led a team of 16 members to conduct personality and career development programs as part of associate engagement at ADP

Community and others:
-Member of EWB(Engineers Without Borders) student chapter, responsible for providing decent sanitary conditions in a rural village by setting up quick-build toilets in the entire village. Digitising a rural school with electronic infrastructure, and training the faculty and students. (2014-16)
- Organised and volunteered Food, groceries & essentials drive from April’20 – June’20 in my community serving to ~500 migrant workers.
- As a member of ISKCON, hyd - a world-renowned spiritual organisation - helped in food drives, book distribution and charity.

Post-MBA goals:
-With my experience in product implementation, I would like to transition into Product management in tech. (Short term)
-Would like to try and test out entrepreneurial ventures in the field of Blockchain(Currently pursuing Blockchain Revolution Specialisation by INSEAD for this) (Entrepreneurship - Long term)
- Frankly, I'm inclined towards consulting also (in short term) and would like to explore this in my 2 years during MBA

Extracurriculars:
- Helped my family business, in construction and real-estate, by brokering with potential customers. - 2019
- Worked as a Freelance Consultant with Defmax, a cybersecurity startup, to close a deal worth 400000 INR with Rothys, a US-based shoe company – 2018
- Secured Second place at Intra-University Debate Tournament - 2015
- Participated in State level Swimming and Skating tournaments - 2010, 2008 respectively
- Member of National Cadet Corps (NCC), Airforce Battalion – 2009-2010
- Member of Toastmasters, ADP - 2017-Present

I know this is very lengthy, but I would like to get a comprehensive evaluation of my entire profile and suggestions to improve my chances at Booth and to secure a scholarship. Please evaluate.

Thank You!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi VarunGampa,

You have got one great profile there! Along with strong stats (that you already have), Booth requires the leaders who can serve the community and who possess a strong, successful career. I see you have a GMAT score of 740 which not only compensates for slightly lower undergrads in your profile but also makes you a great fit for Booth.

Now, about your work ex, I can clearly see elements of strong leadership and bold initiatives but do include evidence of career progressions in your applications. You possess great global exposure and have had an impact on your work (by improving client exp). Also, you make a great fit for Booth because you provide the characteristics of a collaborative leader who has served the community in many areas. And your extracurriculars can speak for your strong personality and you definitely can bring stories of passion and resilience. But beware of writing only about your career experiences, you should have a good blend of professional and personal experiences in your application. Write about your hobbies, your motives in life, and bring a live vibrant personality in your essays. What’s going to matter the most in your application is how you connect the experiential dots and build a great story to stand out in the application pool.

Also, your post-MBA goals seem perfectly aligned with your prior experiences but you need to identify gaps in your profile which Booth can help you fill and I must advise you to apply for other top-notch business schools, say, the trio of HSW, Insead, Ross.

Now, about scholarships, Booth offers a plethora of them, most of which are based on your application, stats and interviews. One that I would like to mention is ‘Marvin Zonis International Scholarship’ which is especially for international students from an emerging economy (as in your case India) and who demonstrates strong leadership, academics, and extracurriculars, which I think you provide the potential for. Also, there are merit-based, industry-specific, and various others for which you seem like a potential candidate but one thing that I want to add here is a 750+ gmat score since there will be many others with a similar profile like yours.

If you’d like, I am happy to hop on a call sometime this week to discuss your chances in further detail. Feel free to book his calendar as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma,
Schedule a free session
Linkedin

VarunGampa wrote:
Hi,

Undergrad Information:
-Graduated in Bachelors of Technology majoring in Electronics and Communications with a 7.91 CGPA(79.1 %), from GITAM University (Not a top tier university in India).

-Will be completing 4 years by June'21 at ADP (a US-based fortune 500 and blue-chip company) as a software engineer.
-Worked in the Product Implementation domain, with strong interaction with clients(Fortune 100 and 500 companies) and my on-shore partners from US and Philippines, giving me good amount of international exposure( specifically how people from different parts of the world perceive a client's request and negotiating with them to develop a common ground for us and deliver it to the client).
-Was able to suggest/change/improve many longstanding procedures and practices in my India team, to decrease our delivery timelines to clients and drastically improve their experience.
-Led a team of 4 fresh graduates with their onboarding, training, work assignments and mentoring.
-Led a team of 16 members to conduct personality and career development programs as part of associate engagement at ADP

Community and others:
-Member of EWB(Engineers Without Borders) student chapter, responsible for providing decent sanitary conditions in a rural village by setting up quick-build toilets in the entire village. Digitising a rural school with electronic infrastructure, and training the faculty and students. (2014-16)
- Organised and volunteered Food, groceries & essentials drive from April’20 – June’20 in my community serving to ~500 migrant workers.
- As a member of ISKCON, hyd - a world-renowned spiritual organisation - helped in food drives, book distribution and charity.

Post-MBA goals:
-With my experience in product implementation, I would like to transition into Product management in tech. (Short term)
-Would like to try and test out entrepreneurial ventures in the field of Blockchain(Currently pursuing Blockchain Revolution Specialisation by INSEAD for this) (Entrepreneurship - Long term)
- Frankly, I'm inclined towards consulting also (in short term) and would like to explore this in my 2 years during MBA

Extracurriculars:
- Helped my family business, in construction and real-estate, by brokering with potential customers. - 2019
- Worked as a Freelance Consultant with Defmax, a cybersecurity startup, to close a deal worth 400000 INR with Rothys, a US-based shoe company – 2018
- Participated in State level Swimming and Skating tournaments - 2010, 2008 respectively

I know this is very lengthy, but I would like to get a comprehensive evaluation of my entire profile and suggestions to improve my chances at Booth and to secure a scholarship. Please evaluate.

Thank You!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hi,

Thank you for the detailed evaluation. Surely, this helps.

I will reach out to you/ your team in the coming days.

Thanks again,
Varun G

MBAnBConsulting wrote:
Hi VarunGampa,

You have got one great profile there! Along with strong stats (that you already have), Booth requires the leaders who can serve the community and who possess a strong, successful career. I see you have a GMAT score of 740 which not only compensates for slightly lower undergrads in your profile but also makes you a great fit for Booth.

Now, about your work ex, I can clearly see elements of strong leadership and bold initiatives but do include evidence of career progressions in your applications. You possess great global exposure and have had an impact on your work (by improving client exp). Also, you make a great fit for Booth because you provide the characteristics of a collaborative leader who has served the community in many areas. And your extracurriculars can speak for your strong personality and you definitely can bring stories of passion and resilience. But beware of writing only about your career experiences, you should have a good blend of professional and personal experiences in your application. Write about your hobbies, your motives in life, and bring a live vibrant personality in your essays. What’s going to matter the most in your application is how you connect the experiential dots and build a great story to stand out in the application pool.

Also, your post-MBA goals seem perfectly aligned with your prior experiences but you need to identify gaps in your profile which Booth can help you fill and I must advise you to apply for other top-notch business schools, say, the trio of HSW, Insead, Ross.

Now, about scholarships, Booth offers a plethora of them, most of which are based on your application, stats and interviews. One that I would like to mention is ‘Marvin Zonis International Scholarship’ which is especially for international students from an emerging economy (as in your case India) and who demonstrates strong leadership, academics, and extracurriculars, which I think you provide the potential for. Also, there are merit-based, industry-specific, and various others for which you seem like a potential candidate but one thing that I want to add here is a 750+ gmat score since there will be many others with a similar profile like yours.

If you’d like, I am happy to hop on a call sometime this week to discuss your chances in further detail. Feel free to book his calendar as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma,
Schedule a free session
Linkedin

VarunGampa wrote:
Hi,

Undergrad Information:

Community and others:

Post-MBA goals:

Extracurriculars:

Thank You!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
Send PM
Hi,

Here's is an overview of my profile.

Background and nationality - Indian, female, age 25

Grad Information - Masters in Economics (65.33%) from Delhi School of Economics, University of Delhi - graduated in 2017

Undergrad Information - Bachelors in Economics (85.16%) from Hansraj College, University of Delhi - graduated in 2015

GMAT Score: 710 (Q50,V36,IR6,AWA5)

Work experience - 3 years, work as an analytics consultant with FICO, develop analytic solutions for banking and financial services clients in the Asia Pacific. Delivered solutions onsite to the key stakeholders. Joined as consultant I in June 2017, promoted to consultant II in June 2019.

Leadership/extra curriculars - Headed the conceptualization of the annual economics magazine in college
- Led Hindustan Times 'Read/Renew/Recycle’ campaign to organize recycle drives in schools
- Volunteered for an NGO in college
- Trained in Indian classical music

Post MBA goals - strategy consulting, interested in being at the intersection of banking and analytics
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  15   
Moderators:
Booth & Sloan Moderator
38 posts
Booth and Haas Moderator
44 posts