It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 13:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All 2018 Consortium MBA Applicants!!!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Calling All 2018 Consortium MBA Applicants!!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2017, 22:13
Hi all,
I am a senior applying to Silver Scholars. I was wondering if anyone knows of anyone in previous years being accepted through the consortium to that program. Is it possible?

Thanks

Last edited by sfxc on 19 Sep 2017, 08:13, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
P
Affiliations: GMAT Club

Kudos [?]: 3864 [1], given: 2465

City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Calling All 2018 Consortium MBA Applicants!!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2017, 23:00
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
dan3067 wrote:
mba2018pls wrote:
also hoping someone can offer advice - I have my GRE scores and they are pretty much in range. If anything, I would retake to get my math score up a bit.

However, I am prepping to take the GMAT. I am not sure if I should continue with GMAT prep or just submit my GRE scores.

I keep hearing that schools look down on the GRE so i wanted to put my best foot forward and take the GMAT.

has anyone heard of anyone successfully submitting GRE scores instead?

(lol yea i know this is a GMAT forum)

mba2018pls - Assuming your target programs accept both, they will not care between the two. I went to a Consortium info session where this question was asked to the panel of adcoms from CGSM schools and this was the answer.

Agree with dan3067. I see no reason to worry about GRE as long as you GRE score is higher than school's average. Take a look at this topic to know proportion of GRE admits and average GRE scores at top 50 business schools.. https://gmatclub.com/forum/proportion-o ... 20765.html

100+ Interview Debriefs from GMAT Club members

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Kudos [?]: 3864 [1], given: 2465

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 28

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 20:17
Is anyone waiving the right to view their Consortium membership recommendation letter? Tbh, I'm not sure why we get to view it. I would've assumed it would be a blind submission like the professional recommendations.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2017, 11:01

Does anybody know what the questions for the mission recommender are? Below is what I found on a thread from 2010:

1. How long have you known the applicant, and in what capacity?

2. The mission of The Consortium is to enhance diversity in business education and leadership by helping the serious underrepresentation of African American, Hispanic Americans and Native Americans in both our member schools’ enrollments and the ranks of management. 

What has the candidate done pre-MBA in their business, personal or academic life to demonstrate commitment to reducing the serious underrepresentation of African American, Hispanic American or Native Americans in business school enrollment or the ranks of management? What potential does the candidate demonstrate for assisting The Consortium in pursuing its mission post-MBA?

3. Is there any additional information you would like to provide about this applicant?

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 11

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GPA: 3
WE: Engineering (Other)

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2017, 17:46
hopeful101candidate wrote:
Is anyone waiving the right to view their Consortium membership recommendation letter? Tbh, I'm not sure why we get to view it. I would've assumed it would be a blind submission like the professional recommendations.

I think they give that option for the recommenders to feel like they can be "completely honest" since the applicant would not read the recommendation. I think your choice does not matter, if at all it might help because it shows that you trust your recommender 100%..

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 11

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2017, 17:50
ASPEBoston wrote:
hopeful101candidate wrote:

I think they give that option for the recommenders to feel like they can be "completely honest" since the applicant would not read the recommendation. I think your choice does not matter, if at all it might help because it shows that you trust your recommender 100%..

Interesting. Well, I didn't waive the right to view the letters so hopefully it doesn't affect me negatively.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2017, 04:26
This post received
KUDOS
jerryg123 wrote:

Does anybody know what the questions for the mission recommender are? Below is what I found on a thread from 2010:

2. The mission of The Consortium is to enhance diversity in business education and leadership by helping the serious underrepresentation of African American, Hispanic Americans and Native Americans in both our member schools’ enrollments and the ranks of management. 

What has the candidate done pre-MBA in their business, personal or academic life to demonstrate commitment to reducing the serious underrepresentation of African American, Hispanic American or Native Americans in business school enrollment or the ranks of management? What potential does the candidate demonstrate for assisting The Consortium in pursuing its mission post-MBA?

3. Is there any additional information you would like to provide about this applicant?

Just received an e-mail from CGSM saying that the Mission Recommendation Form has been sent to my recommender and giving a link to a PDF version of the questions in case they have issues receiving.

So to confirm for anybody else wondering, the questions above remain accurate for 2018. There is a 1,000 character limit for each question.

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 2

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V46

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2017, 05:43
jerryg123 wrote:
jerryg123 wrote:

Just received an e-mail from CGSM saying that the Mission Recommendation Form has been sent to my recommender and giving a link to a PDF version of the questions in case they have issues receiving.

So to confirm for anybody else wondering, the questions above remain accurate for 2018. There is a 1,000 character limit for each question.

Thanks! And there's only one recommender, right?

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 15

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 22:01
Planning to apply in round one to Ross, Kenan-Flagler, Kelley, and Tepper.

To answer some of the questions above:

Yes, just one recommender is needed for membership, but I believe individual schools may ask for more for admissions.

Yes, you will be in the running for the fellowship if you submit your application by the final deadline.

Yes, I would be interested in chatting with Consortium alumni.

Now for my own questions:

I know the site says anyone can be a member, but are they really just looking for minorities? I have a bit of native American in me (<1/4) but I'm also very much Irish so I look like a white boy. Heck, I am a white boy. :)

How competitive is membership? Does anyone know what percentage of applicants are accepted?

I have loads of volunteer and professional experience serving minority youth and even founded a nonprofit with this aim, but nothing in my background dedicated to helping minorities enter business or business school, which seems to be what they are looking for. I guess I'm just wondering, overall, is there still any point to me applying?

Thanks!

Posted from my mobile device

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2017, 06:17
This post received
KUDOS
stebbinn wrote:
Planning to apply in round one to Ross, Kenan-Flagler, Kelley, and Tepper.

To answer some of the questions above:

Yes, just one recommender is needed for membership, but I believe individual schools may ask for more for admissions.

Yes, you will be in the running for the fellowship if you submit your application by the final deadline.

Yes, I would be interested in chatting with Consortium alumni.

Now for my own questions:

I know the site says anyone can be a member, but are they really just looking for minorities? I have a bit of native American in me (<1/4) but I'm also very much Irish so I look like a white boy. Heck, I am a white boy. :)

How competitive is membership? Does anyone know what percentage of applicants are accepted?

I have loads of volunteer and professional experience serving minority youth and even founded a nonprofit with this aim, but nothing in my background dedicated to helping minorities enter business or business school, which seems to be what they are looking for. I guess I'm just wondering, overall, is there still any point to me applying?

Thanks!

From my understanding, so long as you have sought to empower minorities you should be in fine shape. Even if you aren't accepted to consortium, it's still worth it to apply because of the reduced cost of applying to schools.

If my memory serves me, and I believe it's on the consortium site, there are something like ~950-1000 applicants and ~400-500 are accepted.

My advice: SHOOT YOUR SHOT. I'm a white guy but have done significant empowerment work and was encouraged to apply by a current Consortium student.

Good luck!

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 4

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2017, 11:40
jmoney44 wrote:
jerryg123 wrote:
jerryg123 wrote:

Thanks! And there's only one recommender, right?

There is only 1 mission recommender - somebody who can speak to your commitment to The Consortium's mission - to evaluate your qualifications for acceptance into The Consortium and a possible fellowship.

In addition, you will submit 2 professional recommendations, which are sent to the various universities and will be used to evaluate you for acceptance to the school itself.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 27

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V44
GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2017, 13:16
I am a black female in stem who has been told by multiple contacts to use the consortium application. but my concern is that i do not have a track record of doing active work for minority communities. i do mentor people informally and i attended HBCU's. but i do not have a recommender that could speak to me being an active participant. should I just apply to MBA's using the normal route or should i still use the application but assume i won't get into the consortium?

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 27

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 11:38
Can anyone speak to what the mission recommender is asked? I would imagine he/she receives a different set of prompts than what the professional recommenders receive.
Thanks

Manager
Manager
B

Calling All 2018 Consortium MBA Applicants!!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 21:08
How are you all treating the following field under the 'Employment' tab of the Consortium application:

Please describe your responsibilities, accomplishments and skills acquired

I feel like the resume is the place to describe my responsibilities, etc. Are you all leaving this blank as it's not a required field or are you summarizing bullets from your resume in the field?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 23:56
Hi there! i had some problems with my essay writing for mba application and i realy didn't know what to do, but https://pro-papers.com/buy-mba-admission-essay really saved me)))

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 4

GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 3.35

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2017, 06:14
Hi guys,

I just submitted for Round 1

Cornell
Virginia
Emory
USC

Good luck, all. May all our journeys have a happy end.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2017, 06:26
stebbinn wrote:
Can anyone speak to what the mission recommender is asked? I would imagine he/she receives a different set of prompts than what the professional recommenders receive.
Thanks

This might be late, but I'll post the questions

Question 1: How long have you known the applicant, and in what capacity? (1,000 characters

Question 2: The mission of The Consortium is to enhance diversity in business education and leadership by helping the serious underrepresentation of African American, Hispanic Americans and Native Americans in both our member schools' enrollments and the ranks of management.

What has the candidate done pre-MBA in their business, personal or academic life to demonstrate commitment to reducing the serious underrepresentation of African American, Hispanic American or Native Americans in business school enrollment or the ranks of management? What potential does the candidate demonstrate for assisting The Consortium in pursuing its mission post-MBA? (1,000 characters)

Question 3:
Is there any additional information you would like to provide about this applicant? (1,000 characters)

Best,

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2017, 06:49
Has anyone found a good Core Essay #1 analysis?

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2017, 10:27
jmoney44 wrote:
Has anyone found a good Core Essay #1 analysis?

That short-term long term goals essay is going to be really specific to the applicant. My goal focused on career switching and skill growth in the short-term then using my skills to go elsewhere long term. Best of luck!

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2017, 21:03
URGENT HELP NEEDED: For those applying to Cornell through the Consortium, did you interpret the required essay as choosing one essay between the Impact Essay and the Table of Contents? The Consortium app for Cornell says You can upload a document or type an essay, but not both. However, when I upload my Table of Contents, the application tells me I still need to submit the Impact Essay for my submission to be complete. Anyone else experiencing this?

Or have I completely misinterpreted the prompt and have to answer both the TOC and the Impact Essay?

Re: Calling All 2018 Consortium MBA Applicants!!!   [#permalink] 11 Oct 2017, 21:03

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8    Next  [ 149 posts ] 

Calling All 2018 Consortium MBA Applicants!!!

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap