GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Mar 2019, 06:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all Applicants: INSEAD Jan 2020 Intake (Class of Dec 2020)

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
WE: Operations (Health Care)
Re: Calling all Applicants: INSEAD Jan 2020 Intake (Class of Dec 2020)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2019, 23:38
Thank you all! Need to play the waiting game now :)
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Re: Calling all Applicants: INSEAD Jan 2020 Intake (Class of Dec 2020)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2019, 09:44
Hello!

I read somewhere that INSEAD prefers a minimum of 70th percentile on each of the GMAT sections. Is that true?
My current score is 740 (Q48, V44) and the Quant percentile is at 69% :(
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE: Other (Internet and New Media)

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2019, 09:53
Hello Waitlistmuch!

One of my applicants had the same doubt. So I confirmed with INSEAD admissions.
Please refer to link: https://www.insead.edu/node/7371
INSEAD clearly mentions "While we do not have a minimum score required for admission, we advise candidates to aim for a score at or above the 70th-75th percentile for both the quantitative and verbal sections of the GMAT."

My 2 two cents: 69% should not be a bottleneck. Focus on your application.

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma
MBA and Beyond Consulting

I read somewhere that INSEAD prefers a minimum of 70th percentile on each of the GMAT sections. Is that true?
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2019, 11:43
Thank you for sharing that. Embarrassingly, I did miss this on the website. But, reading this is not very reassuring.
I did already submit my application in R1 Jan 2020 intake. So, not much I can do at this point. I don't know if it is worth it for me to reach out to admissions and ask if they would prefer that I retake? Thoughts?

ShantanuINSEAD wrote:
Hello Waitlistmuch!

INSEAD clearly mentions "While we do not have a minimum score required for admission, we advise candidates to aim for a score at or above the 70th-75th percentile for both the quantitative and verbal sections of the GMAT."

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2019, 20:54
How flexible is INSEAD with the 70% GMAT quant reccomendation?
Could one mitigate a <70% quant with a degree in say physics or engineering and quantitative work experience ?
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE: Other (Internet and New Media)

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2019, 22:49
INSEAD is not adamant on percentiles, that is why they clearly mentioned "We do not have minimum score required....". Admissions would look for other elements in your application. For peace of mind, I would recommend dropping a mail to admissions.

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma

WaitlistMuch wrote:
Thank you for sharing that. Embarrassingly, I did miss this on the website. But, reading this is not very reassuring.
I did already submit my application in R1 Jan 2020 intake. So, not much I can do at this point. I don't know if it is worth it for me to reach out to admissions and ask if they would prefer that I retake? Thoughts?

ShantanuINSEAD wrote:
Hello Waitlistmuch!

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma

ARLee Consulting
G
Affiliations: Samsung Electronics HR Head | INSEAD Admissions Interviewer
INSEAD: MBA 11D
Concentration: Human Resources, Strategy

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2019, 04:35
Hi kebabcurry,

I agree with ShantanuINSEAD, but just to add to what he has already said, it will depend on how far your Quant percentile is from the recommended 70-75%.

INSEAD tends to expect higher Quant scores from some quant-heavy backgrounds (e.g. engineers). As a matter of fact, I have seen engineers with quant percentiles around 50-60% and they were asked to retake GMAT and increase their Quant scores.

In any case, in your application, try to mitigate this with quant-heavy work experience, and reinforcing high grades in math courses at university.

I hope this helps.

Good luck
Alex

Alex Ruiz Lee, INSEAD MBA'11D & Admissions Interviewer
ARLee Consulting - Founder and Managing Director
MBA Admissions & Career Coach
HR Executive Director

Mobile: +34 696 097 784
Email: alex@arleeconsulting.com | alex@ruizlee.es
Web: https://www.ARLeeConsulting.com
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/alexruizlee/

Email us your CV for a free evaluation of your profile

Visit our website and contact us for a detailed discussion about YOUR FUTURE!

Check out MBA Essay Database. Download our App and enjoy discounts and free stuff.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2019, 00:22
ARLeeConsulting wrote:
Hi kebabcurry,

I agree with ShantanuINSEAD, but just to add to what he has already said, it will depend on how far your Quant percentile is from the recommended 70-75%.

INSEAD tends to expect higher Quant scores from some quant-heavy backgrounds (e.g. engineers). As a matter of fact, I have seen engineers with quant percentiles around 50-60% and they were asked to retake GMAT and increase their Quant scores.

In any case, in your application, try to mitigate this with quant-heavy work experience, and reinforcing high grades in math courses at university.

I hope this helps.

Good luck
Alex

Hi Alex thanks for your reply.
My Q percentile is around the 60% mark however I have an undergraduate with high marks in a very quantitative area (physics etc). I didn't directly address my quantitative ability in my application but I feel that Its reflected through my undergraduate degree and work experience. Do you think it's worth dropping admins a note?
ARLee Consulting
G

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2019, 02:49
Hi kebabcurry,

if you already submitted your application and you feel your quant skills were already well reflected in it, I would say there is no need to reach out to your AO. Though, it's kind of hard to say without having seen your application.

In any case, there is no harm in sending your AO a quick note so that she/he can pass it on to the AdCom. However, try to make it sound more of an update than something you kind of "forgot" to address in your application (updates with enhancements in profile are always welcome by the school).

May I ask about your overall GMAT score though?

Feel free to continue this conversation offline via PM or email.

I hope this helps.

Good luck
Alex

HR Executive Director

Check out MBA Essay Database. Download our App and enjoy discounts and free stuff.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2019, 03:00
ARLeeConsulting wrote:
Hi kebabcurry,

if you already submitted your application and you feel your quant skills were already well reflected in it, I would say there is no need to reach out to your AO. Though, it's kind of hard to say without having seen your application.

In any case, there is no harm in sending your AO a quick note so that she/he can pass it on to the AdCom. However, try to make it sound more of an update than something you kind of "forgot" to address in your application (updates with enhancements in profile are always welcome by the school).

May I ask about your overall GMAT score though?

Feel free to continue this conversation offline via PM or email.

I hope this helps.

Good luck
Alex

Thanks Alex.
I can't possibly think of a way to naturally update admissions without drawing attention to the issue or coming across awkward.
Im certain my recommenders would have spoken to my Q strengths as well. For what its worth my GMAT was 700+ and I come from underrepresented country ( sends about 20 to INSEAD each year)
ARLee Consulting
G

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2019, 05:02
Hi kebabcurry,

in that case, I wouldn't worry much, and I would leave things as they are.

Good luck
Alex

HR Executive Director

INSEAD Thread Master
D
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2019, 05:17
Hi amazingguy, realize it has been 10 days but wondering if you (and others) remember the video essay questions you receive? I keep a respository on GMAT Club and my site.
amazingguy wrote:
Just submitted my app and the video essays for R1. Fingers crossed!

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
WE: Operations (Health Care)

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2019, 06:12
Sure. Here you go. I forgot one question but I am sure I didn’t receive any question related to INSEAD.

1) What does success mean for you in terms of career?

2) What advice would you give someone visiting your country from another culture?

3) What are your values as a leader? Give an example.

4) I can’t remember!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2019, 07:01
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
Hi amazingguy, realize it has been 10 days but wondering if you (and others) remember the video essay questions you receive? I keep a respository on GMAT Club and my site.
amazingguy wrote:

Hi Farrell! I had posted mine already but you probably missed them, here they are:

MBAPrepCoach, here are my questions:
1) how important it is to you to contribute to society?
2) 3 key characteristics that motivated you to apply to INSEAD
3) describe an experience in which you were positively impacted when interacting with someone from a different culture. How did this impact you?
4) How meaningful should your career be to be considered successful?

Thanks!
INSEAD Thread Master
D

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2019, 07:24
Thank you so much juralvesf and amazingguy. Have not yet updated my blog with these but plan to very soon.
juralvesf wrote:
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
amazingguy wrote:

Hi Farrell! I had posted mine already but you probably missed them, here they are:

MBAPrepCoach, here are my questions:
1) how important it is to you to contribute to society?
2) 3 key characteristics that motivated you to apply to INSEAD
3) describe an experience in which you were positively impacted when interacting with someone from a different culture. How did this impact you?
4) How meaningful should your career be to be considered successful?

Thanks!

Farrell Dyan

INSEAD Thread Master
D
Calling all Applicants: INSEAD Jan 2020 Intake (Class of Dec 2020)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2019, 07:53
Hi WaitlistMuch andkebabcurry, I have heard it said they will allow one of the scores to be a hair under 70th percentile but not both; no anecdotal experience with this maybe Alex can confirm or deny this.

As for anecdotal evidence, I helped a French Aerospace Engineer with a 650 GMAT with 2 years of work experience get into INSEAD. However, he had a Masters, international work experience, and a very strong contribution profile.

They did not ask for him to retake, but I can definitely see that happening because engineers should be strong in math, so what gives? That is is the idea. If he had not had these other strengths, I wonder if they would have.

He did not do this, but I have had success with marginal applicants doing MBA Math as a way to show shore up confidence in their quant, this is likely to be less of an undertaking than retake the exam and will also be good preparation. Most clients spend 12-15 hours on it. With INSEAD it is so accelerated you just dont want them to have any concerns. kebabcurry I would recommend you do this as a plan B to retaking; WaitlistMuch kind of a margin call but probably worth it if time permits.

One thing I want to firmly get across is that you both should be working on your essays and please don't sacrifice application quality for this issue, if it is a trade-off. No one in adcom will be moved and inspired to include you in the INSEAD family by observing your GMAT score; you must carry that out through your application.

Beyond the concerns about aptitude, is the consideration as to whether or not your score is competitive for your profile group. This is a comparative game of course. For this we would need a lot more information about citizenship, gender, where you see yourself on the 4 criteria.

WaitlistMuch wrote:
Hello!

Farrell Dyan

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2019, 09:09
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
Hi WaitlistMuch andkebabcurry, I have heard it said they will allow one of the scores to be a hair under 70th percentile but not both; no anecdotal experience with this maybe Alex can confirm or deny this.

As for anecdotal evidence, I helped a French Aerospace Engineer with a 650 GMAT with 2 years of work experience get into INSEAD. However, he had a Masters, international work experience, and a very strong contribution profile.

They did not ask for him to retake, but I can definitely see that happening because engineers should be strong in math, so what gives? That is is the idea. If he had not had these other strengths, I wonder if they would have.

He did not do this, but I have had success with marginal applicants doing MBA Math as a way to show shore up confidence in their quant, this is likely to be less of an undertaking than retake the exam and will also be good preparation. Most clients spend 12-15 hours on it. With INSEAD it is so accelerated you just dont want them to have any concerns. kebabcurry I would recommend you do this as a plan B to retaking; WaitlistMuch kind of a margin call but probably worth it if time permits.

One thing I want to firmly get across is that you both should be working on your essays and please don't sacrifice application quality for this issue, if it is a trade-off. No one in adcom will be moved and inspired to include you in the INSEAD family by observing your GMAT score; you must carry that out through your application.

Beyond the concerns about aptitude, is the consideration as to whether or not your score is competitive for your profile group. This is a comparative game of course. For this we would need a lot more information about citizenship, gender, where you see yourself on the 4 criteria.

WaitlistMuch wrote:
Hello!

Thank you very much for that feedback!

I do have a degree in Computer Engg though not a strong GPA, and a lengthy work experience in a technical field.

But I am considering mbamath courses for my WLs anyway, so I will do that.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2019, 09:15
MBAPrepCoach wrote:

Thanks MBACoach. My verbal is in the 90s and Quant, as mentioned before, is hovering around the 60 mark. A 70% Q score is around 49 these days which would be difficult even for people with STEM backgrounds.

I'm hoping my undergraduate degree holds some weight to my quant ability. I did check MBAmath (the statistics section anyway) and it seems fairly trivial. I'm actually surprised business schools give this any weight.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GRE 1: Q800 V360

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2019, 06:33
Dear Farrell,

Thank you so much for your reply. As suggested I requested the recommendation from my senior colleague at the last job itself and mentioned the reason in my application. I was able to submit everything in the deadline but after discussing with my recommenders they said they had under estimated the LOR for INSEAD and it was not the strongest one they could give, with the time constraint. (made a mistake by not sharing it with them long ago) An INSEAD alum has also recommended me directly, I wanted to know if there is a point in getting a personal recommendation from a senior industry professional (as mentioned before) which might provide a different perspective than the professional ones and how will this be possible. (Also you mentioned around interview time, did you mean once shortlisted for the interview or closer to the shortlisting date)

Best,
K

MBAPrepCoach wrote:
This is an absolutely fine plan, and I don't think this will jeopardize your candidacy in any way. However I would recommend that you mention in the additional information section that you are keeping your intentions confidential which is the reason that your supervisor is not one of your recommenders.

Make sure that everybody is telling an anecdote firsthand that shows they have observed you demonstrating leadership teamwork problem-solving and initiative.

The additional recommendation is truly additional you don't need to have three people, and it's actually a little better for you to wait until the middle of the process may be around interview time for you to bring this one forth.

It's ideal for you to have an alum of the school but I think your idea is also good. However it's also a test in judgement!

Meaning, it should only be someone who is bringing a different angle to your application supplementary to the rest of what you already have.

Don't move forward with a third recommender just to fill the space that's not going to work to your advantage.

http://mbaprepcoach.com
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2019, 11:11
kebabcurry wrote:
MBAPrepCoach wrote:

Thanks MBACoach. My verbal is in the 90s and Quant, as mentioned before, is hovering around the 60 mark. A 70% Q score is around 49 these days which would be difficult even for people with STEM backgrounds.

I'm hoping my undergraduate degree holds some weight to my quant ability. I did check MBAmath (the statistics section anyway) and it seems fairly trivial. I'm actually surprised business schools give this any weight.

I’m a 20J admit and my scores were nearly the same as yours. I did the MBA Math course and wrote an explanation in the supplemental essay.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all Applicants: INSEAD Jan 2020 Intake (Class of Dec 2020)   [#permalink] 05 Mar 2019, 11:11

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8    Next  [ 155 posts ] 

Calling all Applicants: INSEAD Jan 2020 Intake (Class of Dec 2020)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: MBAPrepCoach, Hideto

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap