GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Dec 2018, 19:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
2526272829301
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all applicants - Rotman Class of 2017

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Official Business School Representative
avatar
Joined: 11 Oct 2013
Posts: 46
Re: Calling all applicants - Rotman Class of 2017  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2015, 07:11
Hey guys,

I'd just like to echo a comment made by Jigglypuff- if you have questions about your profile, the admission process etc, please email us directly (email is faster than DM-ing me on GMATclub) for the definitive answers to your questions. We are a very responsive, accessible and friendly bunch so don't be shy! :-)
_________________

Michael Moses
Assistant Director, Full Time MBA
Rotman School of Management
105 St. George Street
Toronto, Ontario
Canada, M5S 3E6
Tel. 416-946-3369
Email: michael.moses@rotman.utoronto.ca

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Mar 2014
Posts: 228
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.19
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling all applicants - Rotman Class of 2017  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2015, 02:12
Guys , I am planning to apply for candadian colleges ...
Ivey for septmeber 2016 intake , Rotman and Queens too.
The best thing i like about canada is they provide job permit security.
However I am doubtful about placement scenarios in canada post mba.
I am working in IT in India from 3.5 + years and i am fine in working in IT again post mba .
Would it be easy to get job in canada from above mentioned collleges if i am not stubborn on changing my field ?

Also , what is on average salary per month in canada post MBA - around 5000$/month ? (I know this question is pretty vague but just a rough idea needed)
_________________

Press +1 Kudos if you find this Post helpful :)

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Feb 2014
Posts: 91
Location: Canada
Schools: - Class of 2016
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.98
Calling all applicants - Rotman Class of 2017  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2015, 03:49
depends on the industry you're targeting. finance and consulting typically have higher salaries, for example. a post-mba position in consulting at a top consulting firm can typically have salaries from $120K to $180K a year. that's $10K to $15K a month, pre-tax. $5K a month is only $60K a year and the average starting salary at rotman is a lot higher than that, same at ivey i think. queens i'm not sure. salary also depends on the school, not because of the school but because of the recruiters that come to the school. mckinsey bain bcg, for example, recruit from rotman and ivey, but not from schools like degroote (not sure about queens).

easy to get a job in canada? no, not easy. you have to work hard at it. not just get the high gpa, but also the networking. what we've seen in my cohort is that international students have a much more difficult time getting a job, just because they don't have the connections in canada and the unfamiliarity of the business culture here. but not impossible. some of my friends who've landed the top internships are internationals. like i said, work your ass off.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Mar 2014
Posts: 228
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.19
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling all applicants - Rotman Class of 2017  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2015, 05:17
jigglypuff wrote:
depends on the industry you're targeting. finance and consulting typically have higher salaries, for example. a post-mba position in consulting at a top consulting firm can typically have salaries from $120K to $180K a year. that's $10K to $15K a month, pre-tax. $5K a month is only $60K a year and the average starting salary at rotman is a lot higher than that, same at ivey i think. queens i'm not sure. salary also depends on the school, not because of the school but because of the recruiters that come to the school. mckinsey bain bcg, for example, recruit from rotman and ivey, but not from schools like degroote (not sure about queens).

easy to get a job in canada? no, not easy. you have to work hard at it. not just get the high gpa, but also the networking. what we've seen in my cohort is that international students have a much more difficult time getting a job, just because they don't have the connections in canada and the unfamiliarity of the business culture here. but not impossible. some of my friends who've landed the top internships are internationals. like i said, work your ass off.



Thanks a lot for the info provided :)

So basically its like very less or almost no campus placement .. but you have 1 or 3 years work permit .. so one should work hard to grab a job ... and should be ready to sturggle for 5-6 months post your graduation :D
_________________

Press +1 Kudos if you find this Post helpful :)

Official Business School Representative
avatar
Joined: 11 Oct 2013
Posts: 46
Re: Calling all applicants - Rotman Class of 2017  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2015, 06:05
Hey Adityadon,

Given you would only be switching countries (as opposed to industries and/or function) it would definitely be a bit easier to make the move. Many of our students come in looking to switch careers (regardless if they are Canadian or not) so many do not already have connections in the field they are looking to get into. So you would be coming in with a clean slate like most of your peers. :-)

In terms of grades, a high GPA during your MBA is usually required for management consulting or investment banking roles. Since you want neither, you don’t need to focus too much on that. Rather, the most important thing is getting involved on campus/taking advantage of the resources school provides. This means participating in student clubs, competing (and ideally winning :-) case competitions, meeting with your career coach, etc. As well, given you would be coming in as an international student, learning about Canada, business practices here, etc is very, very important to help as well. (luckily we provide a lot of support on this front).

In terms of salary, you get a better sense of this in our employment and salary report here:
https://www.rotman.utoronto.ca/-/media/ ... Report.pdf

In terms of getting a job, definitely do not resign yourself to finding a job entirely on your own initiative!! :-) In addition to companies coming on campus to recruit (for which about 1/3 of the class gets jobs through), all of the companies who post jobs on Rotman’s job postings portal (but didn’t come to campus for on-campus recruiting) are posting jobs because Rotman has an “in” with them. So if you do your networking, get to know those companies, etc, you will be doing yourself a lot of favours getting your foot in the door for a job!

Finally, and absolutely most importantly, is considering the timing to apply. If you feel like you have a very typical MBA profile, it is very important to apply early as we do keep a close eye on class diversity for core criteria like nationality, industry, and undergraduate background.

If you have any other questions, or need further clarification I would encourage you to connect with the admissions team as it’s our job to know what sorts of opportunities our students will have once they are here, the latest info on the class, etc. :-)

Thanks!
_________________

Michael Moses
Assistant Director, Full Time MBA
Rotman School of Management
105 St. George Street
Toronto, Ontario
Canada, M5S 3E6
Tel. 416-946-3369
Email: michael.moses@rotman.utoronto.ca

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Feb 2014
Posts: 91
Location: Canada
Schools: - Class of 2016
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.98
Re: Calling all applicants - Rotman Class of 2017  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2015, 07:47
adityadon wrote:
jigglypuff wrote:
depends on the industry you're targeting. finance and consulting typically have higher salaries, for example. a post-mba position in consulting at a top consulting firm can typically have salaries from $120K to $180K a year. that's $10K to $15K a month, pre-tax. $5K a month is only $60K a year and the average starting salary at rotman is a lot higher than that, same at ivey i think. queens i'm not sure. salary also depends on the school, not because of the school but because of the recruiters that come to the school. mckinsey bain bcg, for example, recruit from rotman and ivey, but not from schools like degroote (not sure about queens).

easy to get a job in canada? no, not easy. you have to work hard at it. not just get the high gpa, but also the networking. what we've seen in my cohort is that international students have a much more difficult time getting a job, just because they don't have the connections in canada and the unfamiliarity of the business culture here. but not impossible. some of my friends who've landed the top internships are internationals. like i said, work your ass off.



Thanks a lot for the info provided :)

So basically its like very less or almost no campus placement .. but you have 1 or 3 years work permit .. so one should work hard to grab a job ... and should be ready to sturggle for 5-6 months post your graduation :D

don't get me wrong, the career centre is really really helpful if you take advantage of them. everyone is assigned a career coach in the beginning, and you may or may not get realigned to another coach once you decide on the industry/function you want to go into. i've had two coaches, and i use them a lot, even my old coach. i talk to them about my resume, about my cover letter, about my behavioural interview, everything. but you have to go to them yourself. they're not going to come find you. so that's the thing: it's there, but you have to make sure you use the effort to do it.

and there are tons of campus placement. the career centre does a great job in getting recruiters in the building and building a rapport. but it's up to you to get that job. nothing is going to be handed to you. and many in the class start 2nd year already with a job in hand, so not everyone gets a job after graduation. like i said, if you work your ass off, do your networking right, take advantage of all the career centre resources AND club resources, you'll be in a good place.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 08 Sep 2014
Posts: 25
GMAT Date: 07-11-2015
GPA: 2.9
WE: Account Management (Computer Software)
Calling all applicants - Rotman Class of 2017  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2015, 07:07
Hi RotmanMBAMichael what are the chances for a 2.9 GPA, 680 GMAT, and 4 year WE (account manager, computer software) to get into the morning MBA?
Official Business School Representative
avatar
Joined: 11 Oct 2013
Posts: 46
Re: Calling all applicants - Rotman Class of 2017  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2015, 09:15
Hello BuggerinOn!

Your best bet would be to get in touch with the Morning MBA program team directly (I represent just the full time MBA program). You can find out more about that program here:
http://www.rotman.utoronto.ca/Degrees/M ... PTMBA.aspx
_________________

Michael Moses
Assistant Director, Full Time MBA
Rotman School of Management
105 St. George Street
Toronto, Ontario
Canada, M5S 3E6
Tel. 416-946-3369
Email: michael.moses@rotman.utoronto.ca

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 08 Sep 2014
Posts: 25
GMAT Date: 07-11-2015
GPA: 2.9
WE: Account Management (Computer Software)
Re: Calling all applicants - Rotman Class of 2017  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2015, 10:02
Thanks RotmanMBAMichael will do! What about the chances to get into the full time MBA program? Would the GMAT need to be higher? If so, would you say 700+ required? Thanks!
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Feb 2014
Posts: 91
Location: Canada
Schools: - Class of 2016
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.98
Re: Calling all applicants - Rotman Class of 2017  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2015, 10:07
not to step on Michael's toes but, 700+ GMAT only needed if you want to get into consulting post-MBA. 680 is above average for admission into full-time (my cohort's average is 672). your 2.9 GPA is cumulative? i think admission is looking for a final year GPA.

good luck!
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 08 Sep 2014
Posts: 25
GMAT Date: 07-11-2015
GPA: 2.9
WE: Account Management (Computer Software)
Re: Calling all applicants - Rotman Class of 2017  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2015, 10:08
Thanks jigglypuff I have a 3.0 in my final year.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Feb 2014
Posts: 91
Location: Canada
Schools: - Class of 2016
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.98
Re: Calling all applicants - Rotman Class of 2017  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2015, 11:10
i think the minimum requirement is a 3.0 GPA in the final year, so looks like you meet all the requirements. again, admissions office would know more than me, but my feeling was that the GPA was a bigger factor when you have little or no work experience. i guess at this point, it just depends on your essays and how you sell that work experience. you're an account manager, were you an account manager for all the four years, or did you progress up the corporate ladder and progressed quickly?

good luck!
Official Business School Representative
avatar
Joined: 11 Oct 2013
Posts: 46
Re: Calling all applicants - Rotman Class of 2017  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2015, 05:52
Hi BuggerinOn,

Even with having your GMAT and GPA, it is difficult to say how competitive you’d be without seeing your entire application first. Something very important to note is what our Director of Admissions, Niki da Silvia mentioned in a blog post a while back:
http://inside.rotman.utoronto.ca/admiss ... und-myths/
The above holds true for all admission rounds, not just round 3. In particular:
Quite simply, we admit great talent when we see it, regardless of application deadline so there is significant variation in the number of offers made in each Round year-over-year. The only exception to the general belief would be candidates with a very typical MBA profile. If this statement is relevant to your case, applying early does give you a slight advantage as we do keep a close eye on class diversity for core criteria like nationality, industry, and undergraduate background.

Hope that helps. If you have any other questions, it is always best to connect with us directly at mba@rotman.utoronto.ca. We are a very responsive and friendly bunch so don’t be shy!
_________________

Michael Moses
Assistant Director, Full Time MBA
Rotman School of Management
105 St. George Street
Toronto, Ontario
Canada, M5S 3E6
Tel. 416-946-3369
Email: michael.moses@rotman.utoronto.ca

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 08 Sep 2014
Posts: 25
GMAT Date: 07-11-2015
GPA: 2.9
WE: Account Management (Computer Software)
Re: Calling all applicants - Rotman Class of 2017  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2015, 06:19
Thank you both, I appreciate all your help!
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Mar 2014
Posts: 228
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.19
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling all applicants - Rotman Class of 2017  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2015, 04:04
RotmanMBAMichael wrote:
Hey Adityadon,

Given you would only be switching countries (as opposed to industries and/or function) it would definitely be a bit easier to make the move. Many of our students come in looking to switch careers (regardless if they are Canadian or not) so many do not already have connections in the field they are looking to get into. So you would be coming in with a clean slate like most of your peers. :-)

In terms of grades, a high GPA during your MBA is usually required for management consulting or investment banking roles. Since you want neither, you don’t need to focus too much on that. Rather, the most important thing is getting involved on campus/taking advantage of the resources school provides. This means participating in student clubs, competing (and ideally winning :-) case competitions, meeting with your career coach, etc. As well, given you would be coming in as an international student, learning about Canada, business practices here, etc is very, very important to help as well. (luckily we provide a lot of support on this front).

In terms of salary, you get a better sense of this in our employment and salary report here:
https://www.rotman.utoronto.ca/-/media/ ... Report.pdf

In terms of getting a job, definitely do not resign yourself to finding a job entirely on your own initiative!! :-) In addition to companies coming on campus to recruit (for which about 1/3 of the class gets jobs through), all of the companies who post jobs on Rotman’s job postings portal (but didn’t come to campus for on-campus recruiting) are posting jobs because Rotman has an “in” with them. So if you do your networking, get to know those companies, etc, you will be doing yourself a lot of favours getting your foot in the door for a job!

Finally, and absolutely most importantly, is considering the timing to apply. If you feel like you have a very typical MBA profile, it is very important to apply early as we do keep a close eye on class diversity for core criteria like nationality, industry, and undergraduate background.

If you have any other questions, or need further clarification I would encourage you to connect with the admissions team as it’s our job to know what sorts of opportunities our students will have once they are here, the latest info on the class, etc. :-)

Thanks!



Thanks Michael for the information .. I ll look forward for R1 application to Rotman this year :)
_________________

Press +1 Kudos if you find this Post helpful :)

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Mar 2015
Posts: 10
Re: Calling all applicants - Rotman Class of 2017  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2015, 08:57
Does anyone know the time intervals between interview and offer, offer and decision (assuming an offer is made)?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Feb 2014
Posts: 16
Schools: Rotman '16 (M)
Re: Calling all applicants - Rotman Class of 2017  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2015, 19:48
BMWM3M4M5M6 wrote:
Does anyone know the time intervals between interview and offer, offer and decision (assuming an offer is made)?


There are no set times, as such. Anecdotally, one usually hears back within a week or two of their interview, but you should not use this rough estimate to infer the outcome of your particular situation!

I think the time for you to decide to accept or reject the offer will vary based on when you receive the offer. I know that I had about a month but my offer came in early April. I imagine if you were to receive an offer now, there might be more urgency for a decision because the new academic year is actually not that far away.

I hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2015
Posts: 2
Re: Calling all applicants - Rotman Class of 2017  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2015, 23:20
BMWM3M4M5M6 wrote:
Does anyone know the time intervals between interview and offer, offer and decision (assuming an offer is made)?

When did you submit your app and got an interview?

I submitted my application by the R5 deadline(May 27), but still got no msg from admission team. Is it a sign of rejection? Because I heard that usually you should get an invitation to interview in 1-2 weeks.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Feb 2014
Posts: 91
Location: Canada
Schools: - Class of 2016
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.98
Re: Calling all applicants - Rotman Class of 2017  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2015, 05:30
who said 1-2 weeks?

i applied in round 2, and i heard back in a month. after that... interview was in six days, got a verbal offer via phone in two days, email the next day, application package in about two weeks, and deadline to submit deposit six weeks after that.

like NMore said, for round 5, i know for a fact that you will have less time to submit your deposit. according to the admissions team, you'll probably have three weeks after you receive your offer.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2015
Posts: 2
Re: Calling all applicants - Rotman Class of 2017  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2015, 16:49
Thanks jigglypuff. I just got an interview request from Dimitra today. Wish me luck.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all applicants - Rotman Class of 2017 &nbs [#permalink] 16 Jun 2015, 16:49

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19    Next  [ 363 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling all applicants - Rotman Class of 2017

  new topic post reply Update application status  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.