Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:39 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: MBB Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Operations, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018 [#permalink]
MrJamesBond wrote:
Interview question guys:

I know they want you to really know CBS, but what is really really knowing CBS?! I've never been to NY so i cant really be too specific! Do they expect to know every elective you want to take, or know the name of every professor?! what kind of detailed questions did you get?

thanks

In my opinion there are three main things in mastering the Why CBS question:
- Clubs you want to engage in
- Classes (especially electives) and their respective teachers
- Being in NYC and how to use that to your advantage during the MBA

I know it sounds cliché and too general, but this is the part where it really makes a difference if you did your homework. For example: saying you want to study Value Investing is great, we all know that CBS is very well known for that. But how will that shape your MBA experience and your future goals? What is it that will make this class stand out in al the MBA experience that you must absolutely go to CBS?

That's how my interview went, my interviewer was very specific about wanting to connect the dots between the clubs, classes and my short-term/long-term career goals. Hope this helps you, 007.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
Send PM
MrJamesBond wrote:
Interview question guys:

I know they want you to really know CBS, but what is really really knowing CBS?! I've never been to NY so i cant really be too specific! Do they expect to know every elective you want to take, or know the name of every professor?! what kind of detailed questions did you get?

thanks

Also, James - you may want to bring up your friendship with Felix. The C in CIA actually stands for Columbia.

JK, good luck! :-D
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
WE:Business Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
For those who have interviewed, did you guys get an email after the interviewer submitted feedback? Do you know if the interviewer has any sort of timeline to fill out the feedback, or is it whenever they feel like it?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Fosterizer wrote:
For those who have interviewed, did you guys get an email after the interviewer submitted feedback? Do you know if the interviewer has any sort of timeline to fill out the feedback, or is it whenever they feel like it?

I don't think he has formal a deadline to submit. It is expected that he submits his feedback within a week after the actual interview.

When he does submit, you'll receive a status update email from Columbia application system.

Usually, people wait one week after the interview to send a reminder. If still they don't submit the feedback, you could reach out to Columbia Admissions team. They'll try to contact the interviewer and ask them to submit.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
WE:Business Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
mfprado1073 wrote:
Fosterizer wrote:

I don't think he has formal a deadline to submit. It is expected that he submits his feedback within a week after the actual interview.

When he does submit, you'll receive a status update email from Columbia application system.

Usually, people wait one week after the interview to send a reminder. If still they don't submit the feedback, you could reach out to Columbia Admissions team. They'll try to contact the interviewer and ask them to submit.

Obrigado, sir! I didn't know we were supposed to send them reminders.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.61
Send PM
Any RD hear back today? It is the 5 week mark for a lot of us RD folks this week, and it is 9 days into November, so hopefully adcom has started reviewing RD now.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [0]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
nicelystupid wrote:
Any RD hear back today? It is the 5 week mark for a lot of us RD folks this week, and it is 9 days into November, so hopefully adcom has started reviewing RD now.

I think this topic has been amply discussed in this thread. The standard time frame of 6 weeks is from the time they start reviewing the applications AFTER ED applications. I have seen some ED applicants getting invites (based on clearadmit MBA livewire). So do not expect the RD applications to be reviewed any time soon. Also as per Matthew Moll (calling-all-cbs-applicants-2016-intake-class-of-198369.html#p1527693), the RD applicants should start getting theior invites in the 1st or the 2nd week of December.

Mr.Matthew Moll, Associate Director(CBS) "We will start reviewing Regular Decision applications once we complete the review of Early Decision. This usually happens in early December. Regular Decision applications that are submitted prior to the start of our review of Regular Decision will be placed in a queue and reviewed on a rolling basis once we start reviewing RD applications. Additionally, candidates who submit prior to the start of our review of RD will receive notification that their six week review process has begun.We will send an e-mail to candidates who have already submitted and are in a queue who are 'waiting' for their process to begin"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.61
Send PM
Engr2012 wrote:
nicelystupid wrote:

I think this topic has been amply discussed in this thread. The standard time frame of 6 weeks is from the time they start reviewing the applications AFTER ED applications. I have seen some ED applicants getting invites (based on clearadmit MBA livewire). So do not expect the RD applications to be reviewed any time soon. Also as per Matthew Moll (calling-all-cbs-applicants-2016-intake-class-of-198369.html#p1527693), the RD applicants should start getting theior invites in the 1st or the 2nd week of December.

Mr.Matthew Moll, Associate Director(CBS) "We will start reviewing Regular Decision applications once we complete the review of Early Decision. This usually happens in early December. Regular Decision applications that are submitted prior to the start of our review of Regular Decision will be placed in a queue and reviewed on a rolling basis once we start reviewing RD applications. Additionally, candidates who submit prior to the start of our review of RD will receive notification that their six week review process has begun.We will send an e-mail to candidates who have already submitted and are in a queue who are 'waiting' for their process to begin"

Thanks Engr2012. I know the December time frame, but every once in a while we see traction, so I thought I'd ask.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
nicelystupid wrote:
Engr2012 wrote:
nicelystupid wrote:

Thanks Engr2012. I know the December time frame, but every once in a while we see traction, so I thought I'd ask.

This application year ED has seen quite a large increase in the number of applications that Columbia received (going by the fact that people were still getting interview invites a month after the application deadline) and this only goes to show that this will push out RD applications further than what they were last year.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
An ED friend of mine just PMed me to let me know that he just got a call for interview from Columbia. So this is definitely a good news for people who are still waiting (ED applicants) for an interview invite.

Friend's details are as follows:

3 years work experience
710 GMAT
Low gpa,
Big four management consulting
Extremely strong extracurricular and leadership
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Engr2012 wrote:
An ED friend of mine just PMed me to let me know that he just got a call for interview from Columbia. So this is definitely a good news for people who are still waiting (ED applicants) for an interview invite.

3 years work experience
710 GMAT
Low gpa,

Great to hear!

Just a stupid question Engr2012: what are the Big 4 management consulting firms? The same as the Big 4 audit companies or MBB with a fourth member?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
mfprado1073 wrote:

Great to hear!

Just a stupid question Engr2012: what are the Big 4 management consulting firms? The same as the Big 4 audit companies or MBB with a fourth member?

Big 4 audit companies.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [2]
Given Kudos: 45
Schools: CBS '18 (D)
Send PM
Kudos
Add me to the denied after interview pile.

Timeline:

4 Oct: Submitted application (ED)
6 Oct: Completed
27 Oct: Invited to interview
1 Nov: Interview
2 Nov: Feedback submitted
9 Nov: Dinged

Profile-wise, 29 yo Asian male from Australia; 700 GMAT (49Q/37V) and GPA that translates to 3.1 or perhaps above that. Have 6 years of work experience, of which 4 years as an equities analyst at a large mutual fund (current role). CFA charterholder too. I'm guessing the low-ish stats were issues; the cliched 'Asian in finance' doesn't help.

My goal was to get into a hedge fund, something that I think is reasonable and not unrealistic. Whether the adcoms thought an MBA wasn't necessary to achieve the goal...I'll never know. But I argued otherwise in my essays, which
were really good in my opinion. My interview was pretty good: it was relaxed/conversational and the formalities were over in 20 minutes. After that the interview was very much a back and forth on his experience, Australia, etc. When I told him that I'd been dinged he replied that he was very supportive of my application. So I don't think the interview was the problem.

Given how much the application process is a crapshoot, I'm not surprised by the ding but no doubt it stings a little. CBS is the only school I applied for - I knew this is a risk - because of its strength in finance (and yes, the Value Investing Program) and location to NYC, both of which would help me transition to the US market. On the plus side, I have a job that, frankly, many MBA grads would love, and I get to keep the cash in my pocket and still try to find a way into the US, internally or otherwise. As for reapplying or other schools, I'm undecided because there are a few factors keeping me where I am.

That said, the whole thing is brutal and I take my hat off to those who are admitted. Good luck!

Originally posted by alman888 on 09 Nov 2015, 17:46.
Last edited by alman888 on 09 Nov 2015, 18:18, edited 2 times in total.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
alman888 wrote:
Add me to the denied after interview pile.

Timeline:

4 Oct: Submitted application (ED)
6 Oct: Completed
27 Oct: Invited to interview
1 Nov: Interview
2 Nov: Feedback submitted
9 Nov: Dinged

Profile-wise, 29 yo Asian male from Australia; 700 GMAT (49Q/37V) and GPA that translates to 3.1 or perhaps above that. Have 6 years of work experience, of which 4 years as an equities analyst at a mutual fund (current role). CFA charterholder too. I'm guessing the low-ish stats were issues; the cliched 'Asian in finance' doesn't help.

My goal was to get into hedge fund, something that I think is reasonable and not unrealistic. Whether the adcoms thought an MBA wasn't necessary to achieve the goal...I'll never know. But I argued otherwise in my essays, which
I think were really good. My interview was pretty good: it was relaxed/conversational and the formalities were over in 20 minutes. After that the interview was very much a back and forth on his experience, Australia, etc. When I told him that I'd been dinged he replied that he was very supportive of my application. So I don't think the interview was the problem.

Given how much the application process is a crapshoot, I'm not surprised by the ding but no doubt it stings a little. CBS is the only school I applied for - I knew this is a risk - because of its strength in finance (and yes, the Value Investing Program) and location to NYC, both of which would help me transition to the US market. On the plus side, I get to keep the cash in my pocket and still find a way into the US, internally or otherwise. As for reapplying or other schools, I'm undecided because there are a few factors keeping me where I am.

That said, the whole thing is brutal and I take my hat off to those who are admitted. Good luck!

Thank you for sharing your profile. Sorry to hear about the ding. I do understand that it hurts but for all the top schools, admission is a lottery for people belonging to the 'over represented' or the 'standard/common industries' represented commonly in an MBA program.

From what I can see, your low stats could've resulted in a ding. But then again, there are other good aspects in your profile that will definitely help you in reaching wherever you want to be. I completely agree that sometimes you do end up along your desired route even without an MBA. All the best for your goals.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: CBS '18 (S)
Send PM
Engr2012 wrote:

3 years work experience
710 GMAT
Low gpa,

Great!! Which country?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
GRE 1: Q170 V160
Send PM
Engr2012 wrote:

3 years work experience
710 GMAT
Low gpa,

Hi Engr2012,

Just curious to know about your application, if you dont mind. Did you get invite? If I remember correctly you also applied on 7th Oct ED.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Rejections have started coming in yesterday for people who didnt get interviewed. Good luck to those who have got the invites. Back to the drawing board then.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  38   39   40   41   42   43   44  ...  78   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts