GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Aug 2018, 08:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all Harvard Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
BSchool Thread Master
User avatar
S
Status: Winter is coming
Joined: 10 May 2015
Posts: 157
Location: United States
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.9
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Harvard Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2015, 13:41
AnthonyMason wrote:
Anyone else working on their application for R1? I'm having trouble deciding how long my essay "should" be. Seems like a lot of the freely available advice from admissions consultants is encouraging 800-1000 words, but I wrote something that I really liked that came in around 400 words. I had a friend who recently graduated from HBS look it over and they really liked it as well, but I'm still wondering whether I need to toss more stuff in to lengthen it.


Anthony, I am working on the essays as well, finished my first draft last week (haven't done anything since). My essay came up to about 600-700 words.
From what I read, I believe, the length of the essay is immaterial. The only thing that matters is your story.
If you do want to toss in additional stuff, do it only if it is consistent with the story, else it might end up looking like a mashed up piece.
Good Luck with your applications! :)
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 09 Jun 2015
Posts: 227
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling all Harvard Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2015, 22:11
MV23 wrote:
AnthonyMason wrote:
Anyone else working on their application for R1? I'm having trouble deciding how long my essay "should" be. Seems like a lot of the freely available advice from admissions consultants is encouraging 800-1000 words, but I wrote something that I really liked that came in around 400 words. I had a friend who recently graduated from HBS look it over and they really liked it as well, but I'm still wondering whether I need to toss more stuff in to lengthen it.


Anthony, I am working on the essays as well, finished my first draft last week (haven't done anything since). My essay came up to about 600-700 words.
From what I read, I believe, the length of the essay is immaterial. The only thing that matters is your story.
If you do want to toss in additional stuff, do it only if it is consistent with the story, else it might end up looking like a mashed up piece.
Good Luck with your applications! :)


Thanks, I actually ended up making some edits and it is now about 700 words in (hopefully) final form. Best of luck to you too!
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 12 Nov 2013
Posts: 46
Re: Calling all Harvard Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2015, 12:00
FROM HBS Admissions Blog: Meet the Class of 2017!
Here's the Class of 2017 Profile...check back here for more in the coming weeks.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

_________________

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Nov 2012
Posts: 152
Re: Calling all Harvard Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2015, 14:26
Can someone comment on why HBS asked us to watch the video before starting to write the essay? I wasn't able to incept anything from the video that may be useful for the essay....
http://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/appli ... fault.aspx

We suggest you view this video before beginning to write.
MBA Section Director
User avatar
D
Status: Back to work...
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Joined: 22 Feb 2012
Posts: 5247
Location: India
City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Calling all Harvard Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2015, 01:56
2
In case you haven't seen it already, we have posted here a compilation of all important posts from HBS class of 2017 discussion. collection-of-best-content-from-harvard-class-of-2017-discussion-203276.html. In the article you will get a handle on application experiences of past applicants, important information about HBS program derived from their research, interview debriefs, school visit reports, and many other great things.
_________________

Chances of Getting Admitted After an Interview [Data Crunch]


Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 26 Aug 2015
Posts: 140
Location: Bhutan
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Harvard Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2015, 02:57
AnthonyMason wrote:
MV23 wrote:
AnthonyMason wrote:
Anyone else working on their application for R1? I'm having trouble deciding how long my essay "should" be. Seems like a lot of the freely available advice from admissions consultants is encouraging 800-1000 words, but I wrote something that I really liked that came in around 400 words. I had a friend who recently graduated from HBS look it over and they really liked it as well, but I'm still wondering whether I need to toss more stuff in to lengthen it.


Anthony, I am working on the essays as well, finished my first draft last week (haven't done anything since). My essay came up to about 600-700 words.
From what I read, I believe, the length of the essay is immaterial. The only thing that matters is your story.
If you do want to toss in additional stuff, do it only if it is consistent with the story, else it might end up looking like a mashed up piece.
Good Luck with your applications! :)


Thanks, I actually ended up making some edits and it is now about 700 words in (hopefully) final form. Best of luck to you too!


Hey guys - great to meet you!

My essay also ended up being around 700-800 words, but I'm still not 100% sure about the format. Do you guys write it more like a speech and a little bit less formal than you'd usually write an essay? I mean it says "You will have the chance to read this to your section classmates" - so I'd kind of address it to them. What do you think?

Thanks for your advice and best of luck with the applications!
_________________

I am the master of my faith;
I am the captain of my soul.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Jul 2015
Posts: 13
Location: Turkey
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.88
WE: Project Management (Insurance)
Re: Calling all Harvard Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2015, 08:44
My biggest concern here, although it is a part of the largest financial services group of the country, my company is a completely local (emerging market, Turkey), hence globally unknown firm. Do you guys think that would be a serious problem in my application?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Nov 2012
Posts: 152
Calling all Harvard Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 29 Aug 2015, 12:04
2
Revisorx wrote:
My biggest concern here, although it is a part of the largest financial services group of the country, my company is a completely local (emerging market, Turkey), hence globally unknown firm. Do you guys think that would be a serious problem in my application?

Hello Revisorx,
Are you banking on your leadership ability or your company's? In the application, you need to show how you advanced, not how your company did. Business schools will also be looking for the same. Remember, diversity in the class. If companies were so reputed, only applicants from industry leaders would have been admitted. If I were you, I will concentrate on how working for a local company, established to cater emerging market needs, has given you greater exposure.

Originally posted by Amateur on 28 Aug 2015, 09:37.
Last edited by Amateur on 29 Aug 2015, 12:04, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 09 Jun 2015
Posts: 227
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling all Harvard Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2015, 17:29
jole101 wrote:

Hey guys - great to meet you!

My essay also ended up being around 700-800 words, but I'm still not 100% sure about the format. Do you guys write it more like a speech and a little bit less formal than you'd usually write an essay? I mean it says "You will have the chance to read this to your section classmates" - so I'd kind of address it to them. What do you think?

Thanks for your advice and best of luck with the applications!


I wrote mine like a speech.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Jul 2015
Posts: 13
Location: Turkey
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.88
WE: Project Management (Insurance)
Re: Calling all Harvard Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2015, 01:13
That the hypothetical audience of the essay is the classmates, not the ad-com is a real challenge. In regular essays, you are supposed to make yourself shine as much as possible and it is fair game. When it is your classmates you are addressing to on the other hand, there is delicate line between introducing yourself and bragging about what you had achieved. I wouldn't like to meet people at HBS whose first words to me (that is, their introductions) are how they had been ranked first here and there etc... There are a few places in the application form to talk about key accomplishment, but still, since this is the only essay and the thesis is introduction, it is difficult. Besides, as an applicant who is 31, it find it very difficult to stress out why now is the best time for me to go business school.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Feb 2015
Posts: 23
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 3.7
WE: Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)
Re: Calling all Harvard Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2015, 08:03
Does HARVARD need notarized copies of transcripts or documents that are to be uploaded? I hope its a NO since it hasn't mentioned any such requirement..
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 18 Nov 2014
Posts: 16
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.48
WE: Consulting (Accounting)
Re: Calling all Harvard Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2015, 08:12
They state on the admissions section of the website (see http://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/appli ... fault.aspx under transcripts):

"You may upload an "unofficial" or student copy of your transcript; however, we will request an official copy for verification purposes should you be admitted to HBS."
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Feb 2015
Posts: 23
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 3.7
WE: Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)
Calling all Harvard Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2015, 08:26
tgaucher wrote:
They state on the admissions section of the website (see http://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/appli ... fault.aspx under transcripts):

"You may upload an "unofficial" or student copy of your transcript; however, we will request an official copy for verification purposes should you be admitted to HBS."



Thanks for the reply.. Do we need to self attest or do any such thing or simply upload the documents as they are?
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 18 Nov 2014
Posts: 16
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.48
WE: Consulting (Accounting)
Re: Calling all Harvard Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2015, 09:02
Asheesh Nayak wrote:
tgaucher wrote:
They state on the admissions section of the website (see http://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/appli ... fault.aspx under transcripts):

"You may upload an "unofficial" or student copy of your transcript; however, we will request an official copy for verification purposes should you be admitted to HBS."



Thanks for the reply.. Do we need to self attest or do any such thing or simply upload the documents as they are?


My understanding is that you just upload the unofficial transcript; I haven't seen anything that said otherwise.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Aug 2015
Posts: 1
Calling all Harvard Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 31 Aug 2015, 18:47
hey guys

Originally posted by ct58255n on 31 Aug 2015, 09:15.
Last edited by ct58255n on 31 Aug 2015, 18:47, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Jun 2013
Posts: 66
Location: Australia
GMAT 3: 730 Q49 V41
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member
Re: Calling all Harvard Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2015, 13:30
Hello all, Hope everyone's apps are coming along nicely. Say if you've worked for the same employer in different locations do you just list your most recent location and Adcom can see from your resume that you've worked in different places?
Current Student
User avatar
B
Joined: 24 Dec 2014
Posts: 103
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Harvard Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2015, 13:38
ZoSoKM wrote:
Hello all, Hope everyone's apps are coming along nicely. Say if you've worked for the same employer in different locations do you just list your most recent location and Adcom can see from your resume that you've worked in different places?


My guess is that it all depends... same job, different location? Different job? Promotion? It sort of is a judgment call on your end.. I've got multiple entries for the same company, since I've changed positions and locations multiple times.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 08 Feb 2012
Posts: 41
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V41
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Re: Calling all Harvard Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2015, 20:18
Submitted! :shock: Best of luck to everyone trying to meet the deadline.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Feb 2015
Posts: 23
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 3.7
WE: Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)
Re: Calling all Harvard Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2015, 23:23
tgaucher wrote:
Asheesh Nayak wrote:
tgaucher wrote:
They state on the admissions section of the website (see http://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/appli ... fault.aspx under transcripts):

My understanding is that you just upload the unofficial transcript; I haven't seen anything that said otherwise.



thanks tgaucher
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 09 Jun 2015
Posts: 227
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling all Harvard Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2015, 17:53
Submitted. And now I wait.
Re: Calling all Harvard Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! &nbs [#permalink] 02 Sep 2015, 17:53

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  43    Next  [ 854 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling all Harvard Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: ydmuley

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.