Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 12:20 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 12:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 590 Q46 V27
GMAT 2: 710 Q45 V41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Johnson(Cornell) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
There are some really good TOC videos out there! I ended up watching 4 more! :lol:

Great work tinni123 !
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling all Johnson(Cornell) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
kheown wrote:
There are some really good TOC videos out there! I ended up watching 4 more! :lol:

Great work tinni123 !

Thankew :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
hiajit wrote:
tinni123 wrote:
App Submitted .. Fingers Crossed ..

Meanwhile Check out my Lifestory---- written , Composed , and sung by self .. My first OC :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MRJ2BR8Chg

Regards

A big applause for that effort. Quite phenomenally done!

Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 158
Concentration: Strategy, Other
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.48
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
dimitris1988 wrote:
In last year's thread final decisions came out on the 17th of December. How come this year just initial notifications are sent out by the same date?

They are saying initial notifications will be sent out at the latest by the December deadline. Many people have already heard from the adcom and they've just begun doing interviews.

From the chat transcript the other day with the adcom, they are trying to get final decisions back out to candidates 3-4 weeks post-interview. Decisions will be on a rolling-basis and I think this is better way of doing it instead of waiting for one day (IMHO). Personally I feel like there would be slightly less anxiety associated with one day... :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [2]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.18
WE:Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Kudos
tinni123 wrote:

Meanwhile Check out my Lifestory---- written , Composed , and sung by self .. My first OC :)

Regards

This was alright. Didn't like the flickering. Couldn't focus and made me feel a bit sick. The subtitles also seem to have a few typos but maybe that was just my brain not being able to process the information properly due to, again, that flickering.

The black and white also gave it a dated look that I don't think makes much sense considering you, like most of us, are fairly young. It's just for flash and I think for such a short video substance should reign supreme.

You have a good voice, though.

The chapters were pretty "meh." Didn't find anything particularly distinctive. Sounds like what a lot of people, especially international applicants or immigrants, go through. Like AC/DC sang, it's a long way to the top if you want to rock 'n' roll.

Probably not what you wanted to hear but just being honest. Good luck.

Now I'm going to go back to karaoking Billy Joel.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
Send PM
SilverBull wrote:
tinni123 wrote:

Regards

This was alright. Didn't like the flickering. Couldn't focus and made me feel a bit sick. The subtitles also seem to have a few typos but maybe that was just my brain not being able to process the information properly due to, again, that flickering.

The black and white also gave it a dated look that I don't think makes much sense considering you, like most of us, are fairly young. It's just for flash and I think for such a short video substance should reign supreme.

The chapters were pretty "meh." Didn't find anything particularly distinctive. Sounds like what a lot of people, especially international applicants or immigrants, go through. Like AC/DC sang, it's a long way to the top if you want to rock 'n' roll.

I'm going to have to agree with the Bull here, the flickering was a bit much. Keeping with the AD/DC theme, You Shook me All Night Long should have been playing with the shaking going on.

That being said, I do think there are a lot of good things going on here. Structuring it like a song is unique and allows you to show the admissions team that you can sing and some other talents (always better to show rather than just tell). The theme of the entire essay seems to be overcoming hardship, perseverance, drive, etc. All good stuff, although it would have been good to see a variety of things. I'm sure you covered all of that in your other essays though.

This TOC essay is tough, I think you gave it a pretty good effort. It'll stand out for sure!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:General Management (Law)
Send PM
Kudos
I can't post the quoted link since I don't post on this site but I had to make an exception for this one. That video definitely gave me a bit of motion sickness. Also, there were several spelling/grammatical errors. As far as content: there were some tangible things that I understood but then it also became very abstract and I had no idea what was going on. Started out about a cocoon and then went to love, and then something about a horse, and then it ends. Maybe I am just old fashioned.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.52
Send PM
dtse86 wrote:
dimitris1988 wrote:
In last year's thread final decisions came out on the 17th of December. How come this year just initial notifications are sent out by the same date?

They are saying initial notifications will be sent out at the latest by the December deadline. Many people have already heard from the adcom and they've just begun doing interviews.

From the chat transcript the other with the adcom, they are trying to get final decisions back out to candidates 3-4 weeks post-interview. Decisions will be on a rolling-basis and I think this is better way of doing it instead of waiting for one day (IMHO). Personally I feel like there would be slightly less anxiety associated with one day... :-D

Actually, interviews were done as early as 3 weeks ago, at JWiB (Johnson Women in Business). In theory, if the adcom is doing what was indicated in the chat (sending final decisions 3-4 weeks post-interview), we should be seeing the first decisions within the next week or so, right?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
ajsingh5105 wrote:
I can't post the quoted link since I don't post on this site but I had to make an exception for this one. That video definitely gave me a bit of motion sickness. Also, there were several spelling/grammatical errors. As far as content: there were some tangible things that I understood but then it also became very abstract and I had no idea what was going on. Started out about a cocoon and then went to love, and then something about a horse, and then it ends. Maybe I am just old fashioned.

Yes, the flicker made me cannot focus on the content, let alone the subtitles. And I think the video is too long, no idea what is the main point.
The singing is good, but too many repeated portion which can be cut.
From what I've watched, the idea length is 1min-3min. No matter what school and what essay questions. Over 3mins will lead to people's impatience.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
mamandel wrote:
dtse86 wrote:
dimitris1988 wrote:

From the chat transcript the other with the adcom, they are trying to get final decisions back out to candidates 3-4 weeks post-interview. Decisions will be on a rolling-basis and I think this is better way of doing it instead of waiting for one day (IMHO). Personally I feel like there would be slightly less anxiety associated with one day... :-D

Actually, interviews were done as early as 3 weeks ago, at JWiB (Johnson Women in Business). In theory, if the adcom is doing what was indicated in the chat (sending final decisions 3-4 weeks post-interview), we should be seeing the first decisions within the next week or so, right?

Wasn't JWiB 2 weeks ago?

And I guess that would mean you would see a decision next week, but it is a short week because of Thanksgiving...

I'm not involved with the admissions process and so I can't really speak for them, but I guess based on the information they've given I'd say decisions could come as early as the first week of December...

:gl !
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
Send PM
So, I guess there'll be no more interview invites rolling out now. Time to say goodbye to Cornell.

dtse86 wrote:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V38
Send PM
GMATAssociate wrote:
SilverBull wrote:
tinni123 wrote:

Regards

I'm going to have to agree with the Bull here, the flickering was a bit much. Keeping with the AD/DC theme, You Shook me All Night Long should have been playing with the shaking going on.

That being said, I do think there are a lot of good things going on here. Structuring it like a song is unique and allows you to show the admissions team that you can sing and some other talents (always better to show rather than just tell). The theme of the entire essay seems to be overcoming hardship, perseverance, drive, etc. All good stuff, although it would have been good to see a variety of things. I'm sure you covered all of that in your other essays though.

This TOC essay is tough, I think you gave it a pretty good effort. It'll stand out for sure!

Did you take feedback from people on the video before submitting? The flickering puts you off immediately, there is now way anybody can see anything beyond a few seconds.

The content is ok, and I am sure your profile is strong otherwise so I guess it shouldn't be a factor when they consider your application
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
lav4 wrote:
So, I guess there'll be no more interview invites rolling out now. Time to say goodbye to Cornell.

dtse86 wrote:

To allay some of the concerns here, I am an international, and just got my interview invite this week. Don't lose hope yet folks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
GMAT 1: 590 Q46 V27
GMAT 2: 710 Q45 V41
Send PM
Hey KampongMBA! Congratulations! So was this an email that you received or was this an update on the application portal? Does your application portal still say Under Review?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Thanks hiajit! I received an email, and my application portal was simultaneously updated to "Schedule Interview." Similar to one of the earlier posters in the thread.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
I stand corrected. JWiB was at the end of October... JMB was at the beginning of November. Time sure does fly here! :)

Good luck to everyone that's still waiting! I know that I've met many of you so far and it definitely seems like a very impressive pool of applicants this year. Getting this far is an accomplishment in itself, so pat yourselves on the back!!

I hope I'll get a chance to meet all of you soon ;)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Zatopek wrote:
Just got my interview invitation email. Ended up in the "Promotions" tab in Gmail just for reference. Scheduled mine for the 16th of November. Best of luck everyone.

Zatopek

I hope you had a gr8 interview! :) Can you please share your interview experience?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  12   13   14   15   16   17   18  ...  47   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts