It is currently 17 Aug 2017, 23:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2016, 03:05
popov wrote:
Any update for anyone from waive off list?
Is it a good idea to call adcom at this point of time? Dont see much benefit in doing so, but just curious to know your opinion, as tomorrow is the interview deadline and unofficial ding day for those still in waive off list as per logic that I shared earlier!!

Posted from my mobile device

No updates, no interview calls. Are you 100% sure that if we hear nothing till tomorrow, its a reject?

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 87

Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2016, 03:23
frost123 wrote:
popov wrote:
Any update for anyone from waive off list?
Is it a good idea to call adcom at this point of time? Dont see much benefit in doing so, but just curious to know your opinion, as tomorrow is the interview deadline and unofficial ding day for those still in waive off list as per logic that I shared earlier!!

No updates, no interview calls. Are you 100% sure that if we hear nothing till tomorrow, its a reject?

Yes, as per historical observation if one dont get a chance to do interview, then it is a reject. Of course, not official reject though. Historically no one without interview has got in, as per alumni and other people on this thread as well.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 4
Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2016, 09:12
Then it is the end of the road!!! :oops:

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2016, 10:52
I just self dinged after waiver without invite so far. Hopefully, I will have better luck next year, if nothing converts from MIT or Yale. Best of luck to rest of the folks.

Intern
Intern

Schools: Kellogg '18 (D)
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2016, 00:09
popov wrote:
I just self dinged after waiver without invite so far. Hopefully, I will have better luck next year, if nothing converts from MIT or Yale. Best of luck to rest of the folks.

I'm also in the same league as far as Kellogg is concerned... :(

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 4

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.35
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2016, 03:53
This post received
KUDOS
Interviewed through Skype yesterday. Now the wait begins. :-D
Good luck to everyone!

We have one life. Keep trying.

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 4

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 0

Research. Design. Build. — The power of design thinking [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2016, 09:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Research. Design. Build. — The power of design thinking

By Vandana Sathpathy

As I hunched over my bathroom sink for the umpteenth time recently, I wondered why it was acceptable for most adults to bend over to about half our height multiple times a day. “Adjustable sinks – Why aren’t they a thing yet?” I thought to myself. I then went online to dig deeper and research the same question.

This is the effect internalizing design thinking has had on me. I no longer accept the status quo because it exists; I question how a product might be if I could design it on a blank canvas in a new, unbiased way that satisfies user needs.

Kellogg’s Research-Design-Build class simplified the design thinking process into three major buckets:

Research
It is important to identify the right problem to solve. We learned we need to first recognize if there is a problem, and then define the scope of the problem. We don’t want to ask people outright what they want, because as Henry Ford said, “If I had asked my customers what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse.”

Our class was asked to solve a problem, any problem, for Northwestern. And to do this, each team in our class spent two weeks on research — doing interviews with students and faculty, shadowing people, taking pictures and videos, and generally observing how people interacted with the Northwestern environment. Teams refined their research objectives and project focus over the course of those weeks based on some interesting, relevant and actionable (IRA) insights we derived from our user research.

Design
Once we had our problem statement and insights, it was time to start brainstorming and designing solutions. Each class was structured such that there would be a gallery walk where all teams presented their last week’s work to receive feedback from peers and professors, and in the remainder of the class we learned tactical tools and frameworks that would aid us in designing possible solutions.

We used Post-its and sticky notes while brainstorming to record our ideas, and were open to moving those around or just discarding them and starting with a fresh board. We were encouraged to think beyond the obvious and to come up with ideas that pushed boundaries, were innovative and grounded in insights. We learned the “Yes, and” approach to idea generation. One of the first things Professor Greg Holderfield told us at the beginning of the class was: ‘Ideas are not precious. Experiment with them.” And that’s what we did during this phase. The focus was to generate lots of ideas and enjoy the process of idea generation.

Build
We were asked to evaluate and validate the ideas we generated during the Design phase. We thought about the desirability, feasibility and viability of our proposed concepts. Would our solution solve a problem for people? Would users want our product or solution? How easy is the solution to implement? Is it scalable?

I was struck by the power of simple prototyping and the use of storyboards to tell a story and present an innovative solution instead of a PowerPoint presentation, and how much more interesting and compelling these presentations were. I have since used storyboards to present product concept ideas even in job interviews, and they were well received!

—–

In the second half of the course, our class had the opportunity to apply the design thinking frameworks we learned in the first five weeks to address problem statements set by a client — Protein Bar.

It was challenging and exciting to visit different Protein Bar stores in Chicago, interview customers and staff and observe people’s in-store behavior to innovative solutions — rooted in insights — to the problem statements set by Protein Bar. Each team presented interesting new ideas and got feedback from Protein Bar executives who visited our class during the midway mark; this gave teams a chance to validate ideas and course correct if need be in preparation for the final.

We presented our final solutions to Samir Wagle, the CEO/President of Protein Bar, and this was an invaluable exercise in bringing all we learned to life and pitching potential ideas to a top-level decision maker receptive to innovation.

Overall, this was a course that validated my decision to apply to Kellogg’s MMM Program, and I know I will have the opportunity to apply this newly gained design thinking toolkit in my upcoming internship as well as my post-MBA endeavors.

Learn more about Kellogg’s MMM program

Vandana Sathpathy is a first-year MMM student from India who spends almost as much time traveling the world as she does at Kellogg. She has thoroughly explored both sides of the fence in the technology space, having worked at a startup as well as a large software services company.

Filed under: Academics, Student Life Tagged: Design, design innovation, design thinking, experiential learning, Innovation, MMM, research-design-build Image
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2016, 10:32
GBRU wrote:
popov wrote:

Wait what? You can't be serious. A waiver doesn't equate to a Ding. I was in Africa when i was supposed to give my interview. i got stuck there because of some passport issue. I called the school and they suggested i write a letter and upload it in the system, to justify why i wouldn't be able to interview. they said It happens once in a while, that students are not able to meet all the basic requirements, which is why they give the flexibility to justify your situation. if the school waived your interview, my friend, it meant in no way that you were gonna get dinged. If you really withdrew yourself, then i feel bad for you cause you should have not ... unless you are young nd have time to come back next year. At my age, 31, i try to exhaust all options before i start looking at another year of this madness.
good luck tho :-)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 4

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2016, 10:53
tchankwes wrote:
GBRU wrote:
popov wrote:

Wait what? You can't be serious. A waiver doesn't equate to a Ding. I was in Africa when i was supposed to give my interview. i got stuck there because of some passport issue. I called the school and they suggested i write a letter and upload it in the system, to justify why i wouldn't be able to interview. they said It happens once in a while, that students are not able to meet all the basic requirements, which is why they give the flexibility to justify your situation. if the school waived your interview, my friend, it meant in no way that you were gonna get dinged. If you really withdrew yourself, then i feel bad for you cause you should have not ... unless you are young nd have time to come back next year. At my age, 31, i try to exhaust all options before i start looking at another year of this madness.
good luck tho :-)

I wish it was the way you say it is!! School doesn't waive with intention to ding- True. School doesn't invite waived ones later is the actual sad part of it. This second part means that the profile that they had waived didnt sound that interesting to get the lift from waive.

I would be more than happy (in a way you cant imagine!!) to get this theory disproved through past data points. :? In fact, deep down I am wishing for it to be disproved and get acceptance or invite!!

Btw, I am also 31 and mad with this madness. :cry:

Intern
Intern

Concentration: Nonprofit, Finance
Schools: Kellogg '18 (I)
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Education)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2016, 11:21
Just got done with my skype interview. I had a great interaction with a lovely lady named Maria from Kellogg adcom (I guess). Would any of you be kind enough to provide me her email id? Wanted to send her a thank you note.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V32
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V41
WE: Engineering (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2016, 14:07
I also interviewed today with a lady called Andrea. Is there a database to find email addresses?

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2016, 14:58
Was anyone interviewed after receiving a waiver?

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.34
WE: General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2016, 07:35
weshaam wrote:
I also interviewed today with a lady called Andrea. Is there a database to find email addresses?

My suggestion is to reach out to the admissions office and let them know you would like to contact your interviewer to thank them for the interview.

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

2 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 16 [2] , given: 13

Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
GMAT 1: 580 Q36 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q46 V35
WE: Public Relations (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2016, 08:24
This post received
KUDOS
Hi everybody,

I wrote to the Admissions Committee to to express my continued and great interest in attending Kellogg. I also asked if the deadline for interviews was extended or if the possibility to interview still exists.

I got a standard answer back and it seems that interview invites can be send close to the decision deadline. It may give hope for some of you guys, but I'm kind of letting it go and focusing on other good schools that accepted me or invited me to interview.

Kellogg is an amazing school and I wish you all good luck! :)

Here is the answer I got:

"We are currently in the process of reviewing applications. Since you received an interview waiver, will we reach out to you if we feel we need an interview to help us in evaluation. It is possible we may contact you up until the decision deadline. 

Please let me know if you have any additional questions."

Kudos [?]: 16 [2] , given: 13

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2016, 14:40
weshaam wrote:

Maybe a bit stalkerish, but often times they have updated LinkedIns. So you'll work out their full names and then find the email alias structure ;)

Currently MBA blogging on atych16.wordpress.com
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

A closer look into cash conversion cycles | MBA Learnings [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2016, 08:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: A closer look into cash conversion cycles | MBA Learnings

Second-year student Rohan Rajiv is blogging once a week about important lessons he is learning at Kellogg. Read more of his posts here.

Let’s imagine a company we’ll call Nile, Inc.

Nile is a vegetable retailer who has the following metrics:

• Cost of Goods Sold (COGS) = $365
  • Average Inventory = $10 (In general, it has low levels of inventory.)
  • Sales = $1095
  • Accounts Receivable = $30
  • Accounts Payable = $30
Based on these metrics, we can do the following calculations:

• Inventory Turnover = COGS/Average Inventory = 36.5

Nile, Inc., turns over its inventory 36.5 times a year. That’s a good sign; more turns means a more efficient inventory buying process.
  • DSI or Day Sales Inventory = (1/Inventory Turnover) * 365 = 10 days

This means it takes Nile, Inc., 10 days to convert its stockpile of inventory into cash. If Nile turned its inventory slower, it would take longer. Since Nile is a vegetable retailer, however, we can imagine that it requires a quick turn of fresh produce.

• Receivables Collection Period = Accounts Receivable / (Sales/365) = 10 days

This means it takes Nile 10 days to collect its receivables. This period is common in businesses that work with consumers, as credit card money comes within five to 10 days.
  • Payable Period = Accounts Payable / (Sales/365) = 10 days

Nile takes 10 days to pay its suppliers – a short payable period for most businesses – because of its size. As Nile grows, it is can extract longer payable periods (e.g. 100 days).
Now, we can draw out what this process looks like:

Nile takes 20 days to convert inventory to cash – 10 days to convert it from inventory to a sale, and 10 more days to convert the sale to cash. However, since it takes 10 days to pay suppliers, we can now reduce the 20-day number to 10 days.

These 10 days are Nile’s cash conversion cycle (CCC). The cash conversion cycle is an important idea since this means that Nile requires 10 days’ worth of working capital (Current Assets – Current Liabilities on the balance sheet) to keep its business solvent. Since, at any given point, Nile will require enough cash to support 10 days of operations, if it doesn’t have the cash itself, it will always need access to a revolving line of credit that can make sure the business runs. Reducing the CCC is an attractive prospect for most small businesses, as it means less dependence on external capital. It also reduces the working capital requirements of the firm.

Amazon is an example of a firm that does an outstanding job with working capital management.

As you can see, Amazon’s CCC is actually negative. This means that Amazon receives cash very quickly and turns over its inventory quickly, but takes much longer to pay its suppliers. The business is practically throwing off cash. Negative CCCs work well for growing businesses, but when businesses stop growing, these cycles can be painful since it means you have to pay your suppliers greater amounts than you make.

A big thanks to Professor Efraim Benmelech and my Financial Decisions course for deepening my understanding of working capital and CCCs!

Rohan Rajiv is a second-year student in Kellogg’s Full-Time Two-Year Program. Prior to Kellogg he worked as a consultant serving clients across 14 countries in Europe, Asia, Australia and South America. He interned at LinkedIn in Business Operations and will be heading back to LinkedIn full-time after he graduates in June 2016. He blogs a learning every day, including his MBA Learnings series, on www.ALearningaDay.com.

Filed under: Academics, Student Life, Uncategorized Tagged: academics, MBA Learnings Image
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Manager
Manager

A closer look at cash conversion cycles | MBA Learnings [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2016, 10:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: A closer look at cash conversion cycles | MBA Learnings

Second-year student Rohan Rajiv is blogging once a week about important lessons he is learning at Kellogg. Read more of his posts here.

Let’s imagine a company we’ll call Nile, Inc.

Nile is a vegetable retailer who has the following metrics:

• Cost of Goods Sold (COGS) = $365
  • Average Inventory = $10 (In general, it has low levels of inventory.)
  • Sales = $1095
  • Accounts Receivable = $30
  • Accounts Payable = $30
Based on these metrics, we can do the following calculations:

• Inventory Turnover = COGS/Average Inventory = 36.5

Nile, Inc., turns over its inventory 36.5 times a year. That’s a good sign; more turns means a more efficient inventory buying process.
  • DSI or Day Sales Inventory = (1/Inventory Turnover) * 365 = 10 days

This means it takes Nile, Inc., 10 days to convert its stockpile of inventory into cash. If Nile turned its inventory slower, it would take longer. Since Nile is a vegetable retailer, however, we can imagine that it requires a quick turn of fresh produce.

• Receivables Collection Period = Accounts Receivable / (Sales/365) = 10 days

This means it takes Nile 10 days to collect its receivables. This period is common in businesses that work with consumers, as credit card money comes within five to 10 days.
  • Payable Period = Accounts Payable / (Sales/365) = 10 days

Nile takes 10 days to pay its suppliers – a short payable period for most businesses – because of its size. As Nile grows, it is can extract longer payable periods (e.g. 100 days).
Now, we can draw out what this process looks like:

Nile takes 20 days to convert inventory to cash – 10 days to convert it from inventory to a sale, and 10 more days to convert the sale to cash. However, since it takes 10 days to pay suppliers, we can now reduce the 20-day number to 10 days.

These 10 days are Nile’s cash conversion cycle (CCC). The cash conversion cycle is an important idea since this means that Nile requires 10 days’ worth of working capital (Current Assets – Current Liabilities on the balance sheet) to keep its business solvent. Since, at any given point, Nile will require enough cash to support 10 days of operations, if it doesn’t have the cash itself, it will always need access to a revolving line of credit that can make sure the business runs. Reducing the CCC is an attractive prospect for most small businesses, as it means less dependence on external capital. It also reduces the working capital requirements of the firm.

Amazon is an example of a firm that does an outstanding job with working capital management.

As you can see, Amazon’s CCC is actually negative. This means that Amazon receives cash very quickly and turns over its inventory quickly, but takes much longer to pay its suppliers. The business is practically throwing off cash. Negative CCCs work well for growing businesses, but when businesses stop growing, these cycles can be painful since it means you have to pay your suppliers greater amounts than you make.

A big thanks to Professor Efraim Benmelech and my Financial Decisions course for deepening my understanding of working capital and CCCs!

Rohan Rajiv is a second-year student in Kellogg’s Full-Time Two-Year Program. Prior to Kellogg he worked as a consultant serving clients across 14 countries in Europe, Asia, Australia and South America. He interned at LinkedIn in Business Operations and will be heading back to LinkedIn full-time after he graduates in June 2016. He blogs a learning every day, including his MBA Learnings series, on www.ALearningaDay.com.

Filed under: Academics, Student Life, Uncategorized Tagged: academics, MBA Learnings Image

Intern
Intern

Concentration: Strategy, General Management

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2016, 19:36
I mailed the adcom on whether I should stop expecting for interview after a waiver, considering the deadline has passed. The below is the response I got:

That is not a firm deadline, however, we do not have capacity at this time to schedule interviews. If we decide it would be beneficial to speak with you, we will schedule a skype call.

Manager
Manager

The future of social impact at Kellogg [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2016, 09:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: The future of social impact at Kellogg

By Eric Wulf

The Kellogg Net Impact Club recently interviewed Megan Kashner ’03, Kellogg’s new director of social impact. Kashner brings a wealth of knowledge and experience from the social and non-profit sectors.

Kashner is founder and CEO of Benevolent, a non-profit organization that redesigned how people experience the stories of low-income families and how we can act as small-dollar donors and advocates in order to make a real impact on Americans’ lives.

We sat down with Kashner to learn more about her vision for social impact and its application at Kellogg.

Why did you decide to come back to Kellogg in this role?
The opportunity to help shape the world’s next generation of business and social leaders as they ready themselves to lead with impact was simply alluring. Kellogg has always felt like home to me, and to be invited home to lead up the area closest to my heart was truly an honor.

I’ve spent my entire adult life in the social impact space – working with children, families, communities, marketplaces, companies and more. This role will allow me to shape and support our students and alumni who will choose full-time careers in impact, as well as those who will go forth and lead with their values in their business careers.

For me, this is an opportunity to catapult impact thinking and action into every corner of leadership.

You’ve held a variety of roles within the non-profit sector, both before and after your MBA from Kellogg. What do you think is the value of an MBA in the social impact space?
The MBA, and in particular the Kellogg MBA, is a critical tool in the impact space — whether in service to social entrepreneurship, nonprofit leadership, corporate social responsibility practice, impact investing, sustainability in the supply chain or other market-based social influence areas.

Prior to my own MBA experience at Kellogg, I found myself in positions of increasing responsibility and leadership in the nonprofit sector without the tools to truly benefit the organizations and missions I was working for. The Kellogg MBA prepared me — and prepares social impact leaders — to consider impact from a market perspective, complete with dependencies, analytics, leverage and a marketing lens.

In leading my own impact startup, I have found myself using every nuance of my Kellogg experience, from my coursework to my network.

What is Kellogg’s approach to teaching social impact?
Kellogg has a three-pronged approach to teaching and preparing students to lead with impact.

• Robust and cutting-edge coursework and teaching from faculty who are at the top of their game in the space
  • An experiential perspective including lab courses, trips, projects, student clubs and activities, speakers and competitions.
  • From a career perspective, Kellogg’s CMC (Career Management Center) staff, faculty support and alumni network are unparalleled. Whether seeking full-on impact careers or careers where you have the opportunity to pursue other fields but still influence impact, Kellogg students and alumni are well-prepared and well-supported as they pursue their goals and continuously learn and grow.
Most importantly, though, Kellogg’s approach to social impact learning — at all levels — is a collaborative one where students gain the knowledge and skills to work in collaboration with others to make a difference.

Many students are interested in social impact but don’t plan on entering into that field immediately after graduation. How do you plan on engaging the broader Kellogg community around social impact?
We know that more 75% of students are members of one or more of Kellogg’s 13 social impact clubs. We know as well that a much smaller percentage of these same students will pursue full-time impact positions when they graduate. What this means is that we don’t need to spur interest in the broader Kellogg community; we need to satisfy appetite.

Engaging students who are already interested will involve listening, being responsive and providing the courses, speakers, experiences and content that these students who are interested in leading with their values and bringing impact into their careers and into their lives seek.

I look forward to learning what students are interested in and rounding out our Kellogg offerings with the right content and programming.

What is your vision for social impact at Kellogg?
My vision for social impact at Kellogg is actually a vision of social impact beyond Kellogg. If we build and develop our social impact offerings and experiences well, then we’ll be graduating leaders out into all roles and industries with the knowledge, skills and confidence to bring responsibility, impact and a robust world view into every project, decision and strategy.

Kellogg students and alumni already lead in many impact areas. We’ll be seeing many more social entrepreneurs and business leaders making waves for their ethics and actions, investment professionals leading newly conceived portfolio choices, and more. And it’ll all have a purple tinge and a Kellogg flavor.

Eric Wulf is a second-year MBA student at Kellogg and the marketing vice president of the Net Impact Club. Prior to Kellogg he served in the Peace Corps and worked in public sector finance in Washington, D.C. After his MBA, he will be joining Deloitte Consulting’s Strategy & Operations practice in Chicago.

The Kellogg Net Impact Club is a student-run organization and an official chapter of the Net Impact national organization. The club is dedicated to promoting social impact at Kellogg and shaping some of the world’s most talented socially oriented business leaders.

Filed under: Academics, Student Life Tagged: Net Impact Club, non-profit, social impact Image

Manager
Manager

Kellogg Zell Fellows take center stage [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2016, 15:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Kellogg Zell Fellows take center stage

Kellogg’s Zell Fellows Program is designed to help students develop market-ready businesses by graduation. Zell Fellows have the unique opportunity to found a startup or grow their fledgling venture with the help of $25,000 in funding, as well as leadership coaching and mentoring from seasoned entrepreneurs.

Clear Admit recently spotlighted the Zell Fellows Program and its innovative entrepreneurs, including second-year student Blair Pircon.

Pircon discussed with Clear Admit how she’s used Zell Fellows resources to develop her startup The Graide Network, an online marketplace that connects teachers with qualified teaching assistants who can grade student assignments.

Read more about Pircon and The Graide Network

Clear Admit also interviewed Zell Fellows Program Director David Schonthal on the program’s unique design, inherent value and future plans for development.

From Clear Admit:

Though best known for producing a steady stream of crackerjack consultants and marketing mavens, Northwestern’s Kellogg School of Management is also making inroads when it comes to educating entrepreneurs. Through the Kellogg Innovation & Entrepreneurship Initiative (KIEI), the school is pioneering a lean methodology approach to launching new ventures that is steeped in experiential learning.

To complement its “new venture creation” track, coursework that takes students through the full life cycle of new ventures from ideation to launch, Kellogg also features a special program offering support to MBA students who are trying to get ventures off the ground by graduation. Called the Zell Fellows Program, it is open to students who are either founding a startup or looking to grow an early-stage venture. In December, nine students were selected as the newest cohort of Zell Fellows, with ventures ranging from a service that takes the stress out of packing lunch by delivering customized, allergy-friendly meals directly to families’ homes to a platform that creates interactive guides that hotels can give their guests at check in.

According to David Schonthal ’09, program director and clinical assistant professor of innovation and entrepreneurship at Kellogg, more than 100 students expressed interest in the program this year and roughly 60 submitted applications to be considered for participation. The cohort size remains small, though, because that’s part of the program’s unique, intrinsic value.

Read the full Clear Admit article

About the Zell Fellows Program
The Zell Fellows Program — formerly known as the Zell Scholars Program — is an application-only, two-quarter program funded by Equity Group Investments LLC Chairman Sam Zell. Now in its third year, the Zell Fellows program has already provided executive support to 19 fellows who are running or have founded businesses.

Learn more about the 2015-16 cohort of Zell Fellows and their entrepreneurial endeavors

Filed under: Academics, Student Life Tagged: entrepreneurship, Growth, Innovation, Zell Fellows Image

Kellogg Zell Fellows take center stage   [#permalink] 10 Mar 2016, 15:00

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54  ...  58    Next  [ 1147 posts ]