GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Dec 2019, 19:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling All Kellogg MBA & MMM Applicants(2019 Intake) Class of 2021!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: Duke '21 (WA)
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Kellogg MBA & MMM Applicants(2019 Intake) Class of 2021!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2019, 22:58
pupingmano wrote:
Does anyone know if we could send our gmat score in after the deadline?

I have just realized that you need to send official scores to Kellogg, per the application and website but I am nervous these official scores won't be received before the 1/9 deadline. Is this going to be a real problem? Should I speak to Adcom?
Intern
Intern
S
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.85
Re: Calling All Kellogg MBA & MMM Applicants(2019 Intake) Class of 2021!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2019, 04:40
shah8 wrote:
pupingmano wrote:

I have just realized that you need to send official scores to Kellogg, per the application and website but I am nervous these official scores won't be received before the 1/9 deadline. Is this going to be a real problem? Should I speak to Adcom?

I would shoot Adcom an email about it but as far as I know I don't think they're that stringent about it.

I actually forgot in R1 to send official scores as well and did it a week before hand. I believe there was a previous Gmatclub post a few years back about how Kellogg took in official scores after the deadline. Personally, my application updated in 4 days to show that they received my GMAT. However, don't quote me on this - I'd send an email to admissions just in case.
Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2019, 05:12
gunster wrote:
shah8 wrote:
pupingmano wrote:

I would shoot Adcom an email about it but as far as I know I don't think they're that stringent about it.

I actually forgot in R1 to send official scores as well and did it a week before hand. I believe there was a previous Gmatclub post a few years back about how Kellogg took in official scores after the deadline. Personally, my application updated in 4 days to show that they received my GMAT. However, don't quote me on this - I'd send an email to admissions just in case.

gunster
Thanks so much for your response!

When you said "in 4 days" do you mean after your application was submitted or in four days after requesting the scores be sent to Kellogg?
Intern
Intern
S

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2019, 05:21
Four days after requesting my score be sent to Kellogg.

I would just email admissions though, but I'm fairly certain that unofficial scores are okay as long as you inform them that you've sent the request to have the score sent to them.
Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2019, 06:42
Yeah I just got confirmation from GMAC that the scores have been sent but it depends on whether the school receives them electronically or by email that will decide the day that they access them. I’m hoping Kellogg receives them electronically so they can access them anytime now

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2019, 08:29
Alright I just heard back and apparently, just unofficial scores are fine. Official scores are only useful upon admission. Phewwwww. Sorry for the insane outburst

Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2019, 08:32
memyselfi wrote:
Just to confirm, the deadline to submit the video essay is January 11th at midnight central time, correct?

They say 48 hours after their deadline, which is the 9th

Just heard from Adcom - it’s due on 1/11 at 5pm CST
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2019, 13:05
Any one else run in to an issue where the word counts aren’t what they say they are? Fields that claim to have a 50 word maximum are cutting my responses off at ~35 words. Seems to be a character limit..

Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2019, 23:52
Guys, I have read some posts about this but not directly for Kellogg which has a 6 point rating scale (including no basis) for recommendations compared to other schools which have 5 points. The way the categories are worded, 2 and up seem to be positive but in other posts I have read getting even one 3 can be the "kiss of death". Any thoughts on how this applies to the Kellogg Leadership Assessment Grid? I am a bit nervous I may have gotten multiple 3s from my recommender...
Intern
Intern
S

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2019, 22:06
shah8 wrote:
Guys, I have read some posts about this but not directly for Kellogg which has a 6 point rating scale (including no basis) for recommendations compared to other schools which have 5 points. The way the categories are worded, 2 and up seem to be positive but in other posts I have read getting even one 3 can be the "kiss of death". Any thoughts on how this applies to the Kellogg Leadership Assessment Grid? I am a bit nervous I may have gotten multiple 3s from my recommender...

https://www.clearadmit.com/northwestern ... questions/

It seems on clearadmit they've got 7 point rating scale instead of 6 or am I reading this wrong?

Regardless, I don't think anyone can really say if one 3 can be the death of an app since most, if not all applicants (including me) has ever seen their recommendation grades. I personally have no clue what my recommenders gave but knowing both of them as my managers I can probably guess I definitely have a mix of outstanding and excellents...hopefully haha.

I don't know what you refer to as a "3", but like all grading systems no one knows what the cutoff is if one exists at all. Why do you think you have gotten multiple 3s from your recommenders (3 = very good?) when you're not supposed to have read the recommendations? If you're going off a gut feeling, I'd advise you to not use these recommenders if you have any more apps left. Recommenders are supposed to work for you because they can speak to the excellent work that you do as your supervisors (hopefully because you do excellent work, which every MBA school looks for in its applicants) instead of working against you.
Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2019, 22:51
gunster wrote:
shah8 wrote:

https://www.clearadmit.com/northwestern ... questions/

It seems on clearadmit they've got 7 point rating scale instead of 6 or am I reading this wrong?

Regardless, I don't think anyone can really say if one 3 can be the death of an app since most, if not all applicants (including me) has ever seen their recommendation grades. I personally have no clue what my recommenders gave but knowing both of them as my managers I can probably guess I definitely have a mix of outstanding and excellents...hopefully haha.

I don't know what you refer to as a "3", but like all grading systems no one knows what the cutoff is if one exists at all. Why do you think you have gotten multiple 3s from your recommenders (3 = very good?) when you're not supposed to have read the recommendations? If you're going off a gut feeling, I'd advise you to not use these recommenders if you have any more apps left. Recommenders are supposed to work for you because they can speak to the excellent work that you do as your supervisors (hopefully because you do excellent work, which every MBA school looks for in its applicants) instead of working against you.

gunster

Thanks for your response. I have not seen any recs. This is a past supervisor from two years ago so for whatever reason, I can only remember the negatives from my work experience there though he has been very supportive of me. Kellogg's grid is different from others in that none other than the first point is exclusively "bad" which made me feel that in many ways, I fit into the "very good". Anyway, its done now. Nothing I can do about it
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V49
GPA: 3.5
WE: Corporate Finance (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User
Calling All Kellogg MBA & MMM Applicants(2019 Intake) Class of 2021!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2019, 09:56
shah8 wrote:
gunster

Thanks for your response. I have not seen any recs. This is a past supervisor from two years ago so for whatever reason, I can only remember the negatives from my work experience there though he has been very supportive of me. Kellogg's grid is different from others in that none other than the first point is exclusively "bad" which made me feel that in many ways, I fit into the "very good". Anyway, its done now. Nothing I can do about it

If you don't trust the recommender, ditch him. Realistically, if you can only remember negatives, put yourself in his shoes; do you think he'd be able to write about stories that highlight your personality and accomplishments?

I'm not an admissions expert, nor do I know if one "3"-rating will kill your app (I don't think so). But here's what I did:
  • Approach recommenders I trust. I didn't tell my employer in advance that I was going to apply to business school, so this one was important for me both from a professional and an application point of view. Even if your employer knows, I believe you need to trust your recommenders.
  • Think of specific stories that add to the overall picture and aren't in my essays already. I tried to have a bird's-eye view here, because the application needs to tell a coherent picture. Additionally, I thought of the recommendations as great for stories that I didn't have enough space for in my essays and short answers; or stories that could have easily conveyed a braggy tone if I had told them myself.
  • Discuss both my stories AND my career goals with my recommenders. After giving them some time time to brainstorm by themselves, I shared with my recommenders the stories including traits I thought they highlighted. I also specifically asked them if they were uncomfortable with anything and in one case, we did end up with one other story. Nonetheless, they were both happy to have gotten material. That's why I believe you need to trust your recommenders; you need to have candid discussions with them.
  • Periodically check back and ask them if they have questions or need support. Both of my recommenders ended up asking me about the grid this way. Similar to the stories, I gave them traits that I thought were strengths and weaknesses and asked if they agreed. They had their opinions and re-ordered it, so I think the two grids were different yet conveyed the same picture. Again, I believe you need to trust your recommender enough to candidly discuss this.

I believe I made myself clear that I thought of my recommenders as trusted partners. While, again, I'm not an admissions expert, in your position I would try to explain your recommender that this isn't a performance review but rather a support letter in your favor and ask if he had any concerns. If so, ditch him. He'll understand (and probably be relieved anyway.)
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2019, 15:53
How are the video essays weighed against the rest of application? I did disastrously in the video essays, but also have an on-campus interview scheduled. Would the video essay alone can lead to a rejection?
Current Student
G
Schools: Booth '21 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2019, 16:04
mj12345 wrote:
How are the video essays weighed against the rest of application? I did disastrously in the video essays, but also have an on-campus interview scheduled. Would the video essay alone can lead to a rejection?

No, video essays alone won't lead to a rejection. Video Essays are a small part of the overall application package and generally used to see some aspect of personality, executive presence, ability to think on feet, communication skills etc.
With Kellogg having an open interview policy it is even less of an issue.
Rest assured, if you get rejected it won't be JUST because of a bad video essay. If you are a desirable candidate Kellogg will tend to overlook it.

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2019, 13:48
Anyone get an email from an adcom member inviting you to an informational chat with them? No word on interview (off campus)
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2019, 15:11
fedcba wrote:
Anyone get an email from an adcom member inviting you to an informational chat with them? No word on interview (off campus)

I got an email too. I was surprised at the offer of the informational chat, since that feels like a huge time investment by the adcom to have a chat with every single applicant. Is it open to everyone? I'm amazed they have the bandwidth for this, in the midst of reviewing applications!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2019, 15:33
Did you request on campus or off campus interview?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2019, 20:14
fedcba wrote:

I requested off-campus. I'm curious if that is what determined who got this email, or if it's everyone?
Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2019, 20:18
skijorer wrote:
fedcba wrote:

I requested off-campus. I'm curious if that is what determined who got this email, or if it's everyone?

I requested an off-campus international invite and I didn't get this email. Also though, I have a 710 GMAT so... :|
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2019, 20:47
I have an on-campus interview in a week, I didn't get a mail like that one

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling All Kellogg MBA & MMM Applicants(2019 Intake) Class of 2021!   [#permalink] 16 Jan 2019, 20:47

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  14   15   16   17   18   19   20  ...  28    Next  [ 554 posts ] 

Calling All Kellogg MBA & MMM Applicants(2019 Intake) Class of 2021!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: tanmay1392, jaja231