GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Nov 2018, 19:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Tepper-CMU Applicants(2016 Intake) Class of 2018

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 05 Feb 2015
Posts: 36
Location: United States (MI)
Concentration: Sustainability, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V46
GPA: 2.77
WE: Research (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: Calling all Tepper-CMU Applicants(2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2015, 06:32
mesi wrote:
Hey guys,
How likely are Indians to get scholarship even with low (710) GMAT scores? From what I have heard, its pretty unlikely...anyone has any takes on this?

Regards



Can't speak to the scholarship issue, but 710 is high for Tepper admits. Look above: the average GMAT score last intake was 687, and the 20-80 distribution was 624-740. With a 710 your score is going to be higher than most admitted students.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2014
Posts: 37
Re: Calling all Tepper-CMU Applicants(2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2015, 09:12
I understand 710 is higher than average. However, for Indians to get scholarship, I believe a much higher score is needed :|
mrsunburn wrote:
mesi wrote:
Hey guys,
How likely are Indians to get scholarship even with low (710) GMAT scores? From what I have heard, its pretty unlikely...anyone has any takes on this?

Regards



Can't speak to the scholarship issue, but 710 is high for Tepper admits. Look above: the average GMAT score last intake was 687, and the 20-80 distribution was 624-740. With a 710 your score is going to be higher than most admitted students.
VP
VP
User avatar
B
Joined: 24 Aug 2011
Posts: 1400
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Tepper-CMU Applicants(2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2015, 22:14
mesi wrote:
I understand 710 is higher than average. However, for Indians to get scholarship, I believe a much higher score is needed :|
mrsunburn wrote:
mesi wrote:
Hey guys,
How likely are Indians to get scholarship even with low (710) GMAT scores? From what I have heard, its pretty unlikely...anyone has any takes on this?

Regards



Can't speak to the scholarship issue, but 710 is high for Tepper admits. Look above: the average GMAT score last intake was 687, and the 20-80 distribution was 624-740. With a 710 your score is going to be higher than most admitted students.


Although 710 is higher than the average score for Tepper, but when it comes to Indians, the scores increase exponentially.
I have seen very few students accepted with a score below 740, rather 750.
So to be in the race for a scholarship, the higher the score, the better it is.

There are always outliers though and they do get significant scholarship at lower scores also.
_________________

ISB Preparation Kit | GMAT Debrief

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 26 Jun 2013
Posts: 115
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Consumer Electronics)
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Tepper-CMU Applicants(2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2015, 22:47
Ankur sir - Just a small query. Did you get a scholarship at Tepper and which round did you apply to? I am hoping u would have.
_________________

You never lose, until you quit trying!

VP
VP
User avatar
B
Joined: 24 Aug 2011
Posts: 1400
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Tepper-CMU Applicants(2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2015, 23:50
1
sourabhsur123 wrote:
Ankur sir - Just a small query. Did you get a scholarship at Tepper and which round did you apply to? I am hoping u would have.

Nopes ... I did not. Although, some others with similar score got the scholarship.
IMO, the major reason for me not getting scholarship was a sub par Resume.
I applied in R1.
_________________

ISB Preparation Kit | GMAT Debrief

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2014
Posts: 37
Re: Calling all Tepper-CMU Applicants(2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2015, 10:32
^^Thanks Ankur! That's what i heard as well
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 25 Nov 2014
Posts: 158
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Tepper-CMU Applicants(2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2015, 20:20
Hey guys... it might sound a bit silly but its the reason i cant apply to most schools... FEES... i mean how can an avg indian with an avg package and background hope for a course costing above $100,000 .. there's got to be a way besides depending on scholarships... loans have max amt of 30 lacs.. so wat about the next 30-40 lacs??? Plz enlighten me with as many facts and suggestions as there can be...
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 26 Jun 2013
Posts: 115
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Consumer Electronics)
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Tepper-CMU Applicants(2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2015, 21:22
1
ankurgupta03 wrote:
sourabhsur123 wrote:
Ankur sir - Just a small query. Did you get a scholarship at Tepper and which round did you apply to? I am hoping u would have.

Nopes ... I did not. Although, some others with similar score got the scholarship.
IMO, the major reason for me not getting scholarship was a sub par Resume.
I applied in R1.



Ankur sir Thank you for the info. I hope this time you make it to Tepper with a hefty scholarship! My best wishes :)
_________________

You never lose, until you quit trying!

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 26 Jun 2013
Posts: 115
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Consumer Electronics)
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Tepper-CMU Applicants(2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2015, 21:40
2
1
AA2014 wrote:
Hey guys... it might sound a bit silly but its the reason i cant apply to most schools... FEES... i mean how can an avg indian with an avg package and background hope for a course costing above $100,000 .. there's got to be a way besides depending on scholarships... loans have max amt of 30 lacs.. so wat about the next 30-40 lacs??? Plz enlighten me with as many facts and suggestions as there can be...



Yes it is one of the major concerns for many. However, you do have some schools which offer loans in USD without co-signer. Again it depends from school to school how much they offer. For instance ,Emory univs Goizueta business school offers loans which cover most part of ur tution and living expenses, while on the other hand schools such as cornell univs Johnson graduate school of management offers loans which cover only upto a portion of ur tuition. Also, there are other external agencies such as prodigy finance and Graduate student loan corporation which give out without co-signer loans but again doesn't cover the entire tution. On the contrary, if you are able to find a co-signer ( a US citizen or a Permanent resident) then you can get big loans with low interest rates. So, you need to do some research and ask your target b-schools about what kind of financial aid do they provide and calculate and plan your finances accordingly. So as you can see there are ways of securing loans but one needs to put some effort to figure how. I hope this helps.
_________________

You never lose, until you quit trying!

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 25 Nov 2014
Posts: 158
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Tepper-CMU Applicants(2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2015, 06:17
sourabhsur123 wrote:
AA2014 wrote:
Hey guys... it might sound a bit silly but its the reason i cant apply to most schools... FEES... i mean how can an avg indian with an avg package and background hope for a course costing above $100,000 .. there's got to be a way besides depending on scholarships... loans have max amt of 30 lacs.. so wat about the next 30-40 lacs??? Plz enlighten me with as many facts and suggestions as there can be...



Yes it is one of the major concerns for many. However, you do have some schools which offer loans in USD without co-signer. Again it depends from school to school how much they offer. For instance ,Emory univs Goizueta business school offers loans which cover most part of ur tution and living expenses, while on the other hand schools such as cornell univs Johnson graduate school of management offers loans which cover only upto a portion of ur tuition. Also, there are other external agencies such as prodigy finance and Graduate student loan corporation which give out without co-signer loans but again doesn't cover the entire tution. On the contrary, if you are able to find a co-signer ( a US citizen or a Permanent resident) then you can get big loans with low interest rates. So, you need to do some research and ask your target b-schools about what kind of financial aid do they provide and calculate and plan your finances accordingly. So as you can see there are ways of securing loans but one needs to put some effort to figure how. I hope this helps.


Thanks for the advice... i'll start researching from this point of view... just a doubt - Aren't US banks/schools reluctant to offer loans to foreigners esp Indians???? Or is it just a myth?
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 26 Jun 2013
Posts: 115
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Consumer Electronics)
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Tepper-CMU Applicants(2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2015, 06:29
2
AA2014 wrote:
sourabhsur123 wrote:
AA2014 wrote:
Hey guys... it might sound a bit silly but its the reason i cant apply to most schools... FEES... i mean

Thanks for the advice... i'll start researching from this point of view... just a doubt - Aren't US banks/schools reluctant to offer loans to foreigners esp Indians???? Or is it just a myth?



US banks will never give Indians or for that matter any international candidate loans until and unless you have a credible co-signer. It is just against their policy. However, if you make it to the schools which provide without co-signer loans then you will definitely get the loans, irrespective of which country you are from. These loans are given out by schools for the benefit of the candidates they choose , so if you get selected then you are automatically eligible and these schools are generally the reputed ones. Hope this clear your doubts.
_________________

You never lose, until you quit trying!

Director
Director
User avatar
B
Joined: 03 Feb 2013
Posts: 858
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Tepper-CMU Applicants(2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2015, 10:55
5
1
First and foremost,

Tepper essays are out so fasten your seat belts and go for the application.

ESSAY QUESTIONS
There are two questions to help us get to know you better. In addition, we offer an optional essay if there is additional information you wish to share about your candidacy.

Essay 1 (Maximum 300 words)
Describe a defining moment in your life. How has it shaped you professionally?

Essay 2 (Maximum 300 words)
Based on your research and interactions, describe how your strengths contribute to the Tepper School community. How will you benefit from being a member of the Tepper School MBA program?

http://tepper.cmu.edu/prospective-stude ... mendations

I saw a question about scholarship.

I have 760 and I have got 35% scholarship. Always more GMAT, merrier it is.

About the fees, apart from the scholarship, I have taken loan from prodigyfinance where Tepper is listed as grad school. They provide loans to select schools only. Prodigyfinance finance 100% of the tepper tuition fees.

Prodigy covered my rest of the fees barring $10k which I am putting from my savings. For personal expenses, you need to have your own savings or any other type of loan.

I hope I have answered queries regarding scholarship and Fees.

ankurgupta03 : After working with you closely, I will be happiest person if you choose Tepper for next intake. I think its tepper's loss if you chose a better school next year.

All the best and let me know if you guys have any other questions. Happy to help :-D
_________________

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

VP
VP
User avatar
B
Joined: 24 Aug 2011
Posts: 1400
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Tepper-CMU Applicants(2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2015, 00:40
kinjiGC wrote:
First and foremost,

Tepper essays are out so fasten your seat belts and go for the application.


ankurgupta03 : After working with you closely, I will be happiest person if you choose Tepper for next intake. I think its tepper's loss if you chose a better school next year.

All the best and let me know if you guys have any other questions. Happy to help :-D


Hahaha ... Kinjal bhai thanks for the update :)
Let's see what's in store for me :D
_________________

ISB Preparation Kit | GMAT Debrief

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 26 Jun 2013
Posts: 115
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Consumer Electronics)
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Tepper-CMU Applicants(2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2015, 07:44
kinjiGC wrote:
First and foremost,

Tepper essays are out so fasten your seat belts and go for the application.

ESSAY QUESTIONS
There are two questions to help us get to know you better. In addition, we offer an optional essay if there is additional information you wish to share about your candidacy.

Essay 1 (Maximum 300 words)
Describe a defining moment in your life. How has it shaped you professionally?

Essay 2 (Maximum 300 words)
Based on your research and interactions, describe how your strengths contribute to the Tepper School community. How will you benefit from being a member of the Tepper School MBA program?

http://tepper.cmu.edu/prospective-stude ... mendations

I saw a question about scholarship.

I have 760 and I have got 35% scholarship. Always more GMAT, merrier it is.

About the fees, apart from the scholarship, I have taken loan from prodigyfinance where Tepper is listed as grad school. They provide loans to select schools only. Prodigyfinance finance 100% of the tepper tuition fees.

Prodigy covered my rest of the fees barring $10k which I am putting from my savings. For personal expenses, you need to have your own savings or any other type of loan.

I hope I have answered queries regarding scholarship and Fees.

ankurgupta03 : After working with you closely, I will be happiest person if you choose Tepper for next intake. I think its tepper's loss if you chose a better school next year.

All the best and let me know if you guys have any other questions. Happy to help :-D


Thanks a lot Kinjal sir for your support and guidance. All the best for the MBA journey ahead, I am sure you will rock Tepper! :) Happy journey.
_________________

You never lose, until you quit trying!

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 23 Mar 2014
Posts: 945
Re: Calling all Tepper-CMU Applicants(2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2015, 09:46
Image
Carnegie Mellon University’s Tepper School of Business has updated the two required essay questions for the 2015-2016 MBA application season.

Essay 1    (Maximum 300 words)
Describe a defining moment in your life. How has it shaped you professionally?

Essay 2    (Maximum 300 words)  
Based on your research and interactions, describe how your strengths contribute to the Tepper School community. How will you benefit from being a member of the Tepper School MBA program?

Tepper School also offers an optional essay if there is additional information you wish to share about your candidacy. For more information, please visit the Tepper MBA admissions website.
You may also be interested in:
CMU Tepper School Fall 2016 Deadlines

CMU Tepper Appoints New Head of MBA Program

Image
***

If you are looking for guidance on your MBA application, Stacy Blackman Consulting can help with hourly and comprehensive consulting services. Contact us to learn more. Visit the website for Stacy Blackman Reviews, and check out the company’s e-publications for more in depth school-by-school guidance.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2015
Posts: 4
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q51 V35
Re: Calling all Tepper-CMU Applicants(2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2015, 23:32
Hi ankur,

All i see on the apply online link here : tepper.cmu.edu/prospective-students/masters/mba/admissions/apply/apply-online
is this
If you are interested in applying for Fall 2015, please contact Kari Calvario at karic@andrew.cmu.edu.

If you are interested in applying for Fall 2016, please complete the Request for Information form.

THE APPLICATION FOR FALL 2016 WILL BE AVAILABLE IN MID-TO-LATE JULY.

Am i missing something? How do i actually apply? Shouldn't there a link where i fill all this out and apply?
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 28 Feb 2015
Posts: 25
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.02
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Calling all Tepper-CMU Applicants(2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2015, 07:43
1
abhinavverma09 wrote:
Hi ankur,

All i see on the apply online link here : tepper.cmu.edu/prospective-students/masters/mba/admissions/apply/apply-online
is this
If you are interested in applying for Fall 2015, please contact Kari Calvario at karic@andrew.cmu.edu.

If you are interested in applying for Fall 2016, please complete the Request for Information form.

THE APPLICATION FOR FALL 2016 WILL BE AVAILABLE IN MID-TO-LATE JULY.

Am i missing something? How do i actually apply? Shouldn't there a link where i fill all this out and apply?


There will be a link whenever they release the online application. I haven't talked to anyone from admissions but I assume they just missed the deadline and it will be up soon. In the mean time I'll be working on the two (3 if you use the optional) essays they've already released and sitting down with my boss to make sure he understands the letter of recommendation. I'm sure you're just like me and have been checking the website every 20 minutes to see if they've opened the application. It's been hard but I've avoided pulling all my hair out... well maybe a few strands are missing.
VP
VP
User avatar
B
Joined: 24 Aug 2011
Posts: 1400
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Tepper-CMU Applicants(2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2015, 22:14
abhinavverma09 wrote:
Hi ankur,

All i see on the apply online link here : tepper.cmu.edu/prospective-students/masters/mba/admissions/apply/apply-online
is this
If you are interested in applying for Fall 2015, please contact Kari Calvario at karic@andrew.cmu.edu.

If you are interested in applying for Fall 2016, please complete the Request for Information form.

THE APPLICATION FOR FALL 2016 WILL BE AVAILABLE IN MID-TO-LATE JULY.

Am i missing something? How do i actually apply? Shouldn't there a link where i fill all this out and apply?


I remember typing my reply to this question. Where did it go :shock:
Nothing to worry about here. The application has not gone live and once it does, you will get a proper application in which you will have to key in the details.
Till then, as wcf5016 suggested, you can start writing the essays and start working on the recommendations.

All the best!
Ankur
_________________

ISB Preparation Kit | GMAT Debrief

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2015
Posts: 57
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.35
WE: Engineering (Consumer Products)
Re: Calling all Tepper-CMU Applicants(2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2015, 11:25
I recently met with an admissions committee member and they mentioned that they were switching platforms this year and experienced a few issues. They didnt have a date when it would go live but did say it should be "soon".
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2014
Posts: 41
Schools: Olin '18 (S)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling all Tepper-CMU Applicants(2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2015, 09:28
Hello ankur/kinji,

My gmat score is well below the indian applicant pool.690 in 1st attempt with a mediocre verbal score of 34 makes my chances really bleak.Given that Tepper puts a heavy focus on GMAT, last year rejection rate of 730+ candidate was almost nil, please provide your insights how much does a non-conventional work exp (merchant navy officer) will help me in balancing my low GMAT score.Strength of tepper in operations really excites me.I can see myself fit in the school and reach to my career aspirations.

Regards
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all Tepper-CMU Applicants(2016 Intake) Class of 2018 &nbs [#permalink] 13 Aug 2015, 09:28

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  30    Next  [ 585 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling all Tepper-CMU Applicants(2016 Intake) Class of 2018

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: abhimahna, zee1222



Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.