It is currently 20 Feb 2018, 07:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Wharton Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Current Student
S
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Wharton Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2016, 12:12
abgirl wrote:
Congratulation to all the applicants who got the interview. I wish you good luck.

Did you get the invite ?
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
CAT Tests
Interview Invitation and Strategy [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2016, 12:39
This may be too detailed of a question, but is there any strategy for choosing a day for the on-campus TBD interview? I'm thinking of scheduling two weeks from now so that I have time to prepare, but is this a situation similar to Columbia where the earlier the better?

I know, good problem to have :-D . Thanks to this forum and its contributors for all of the help along the way!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2016, 12:42
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Wharton plans to send out interview invitations today, and once again the school is using its team-based discussion format to evaluate MBA candidates, in place of a traditional business school admissions interview. Understandably, Wharton applicants get anxious about this atypical interview, because the approach creates a very different dynamic from what one usually encounters in a one-on-one meeting—and with other applicants also in the room, one cannot help but feel less in control of the content and direction of the conversation. Yet despite the uncertainty, here are a few things that interviewees can expect:

-You will need to arrive at the interview with an idea—a response to a challenge that will be presented in your interview invitation.
-Having the best idea is much less important than how you interact with others in the group and communicate your thoughts. So while you should prepare an idea ahead of time, that is only part of what you will be evaluated on.
-Your peers will have prepared their ideas as well. Chances are that ideas will be raised that you know little or nothing about. Do not worry! The admissions committee members are not measuring your topical expertise. Instead, they want to see how you add to the collective output of the team.
-After the team-based discussion, you will have a short one-on-one session with someone representing Wharton’s admissions team. More than likely, you will be asked to reflect on how the team-based discussion went for you; this will require self-awareness on your part.

To give candidates the opportunity to undergo a realistic test run before experiencing the actual event, we created our Team-Based Discussion Simulation. Via this simulation, applicants participate anonymously with three to five other MBA candidates in an online conversation, which is moderated by two of our experienced Senior Consultants familiar with Wharton’s format and approach. All participants then receive feedback on their performance, with special focus on their interpersonal skills and communication abilities. The simulation builds confidence by highlighting your role in a team, examining how you communicate your ideas to—and within—a group of (equally talented) peers, and discovering how you react when you are thrown “in the deep end” and have to swim. Our Wharton Team-Based Discussion Simulation allows you to test the experience so you will be ready for the real thing!

To learn more or sign up for a practice session, visit: http://shop.mbamission.com/products/wha ... simulation

Good luck!

Kate Richardson
Senior Consultant, mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insider's Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: CBS '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.6
Reviews Badge
Re: Interview Invitation and Strategy [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2016, 12:47
This post received
KUDOS
jjg410 wrote:
This may be too detailed of a question, but is there any strategy for choosing a day for the on-campus TBD interview? I'm thinking of scheduling two weeks from now so that I have time to prepare, but is this a situation similar to Columbia where the earlier the better?

I know, good problem to have :-D . Thanks to this forum and its contributors for all of the help along the way!

When I interviewed at Wharton, I really got the impression that the interview is a relatively smaller component of the admissions process than it is at other schools. This is not to say it is not important, it is, it just means that given the format it is hard to really help your candidacy, though you can of course really hurt your chances.

The big things they look for are ability to communicate/command of the language, and ability to not be a jerk or rude. The dean of student life told me their system rewards extroverts.

You will see when you walk into the waiting room with like 30 other applicants and then after the group component when you spent like 4 minutes one-on-one with someone that they cannot possibly attribute much of their decision making to the exercise...

Of course, I am sure people will disagree with this, but just my opinion...
Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2016, 12:51
jjg410 wrote:

Two weeks is the amount of time I recommend my clients to prepare, so you have the right idea. Earlier is not necessarily better, though if you don't have to wait until the last day, you should not wait that long.

Good luck preparing! The Wharton TBD is fun and should feel natural, but it is certainly different from the other interviews so if you need any tips, let me know. Congrats on the invite!

Best,
Scott

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
S

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2016, 12:54
This post received
KUDOS
jjg410 wrote:

I know, good problem to have :-D . Thanks to this forum

and its contributors for all of the help along the way!

No, there is no such benefit of interviewing earlier. Columbia employs a rolling admissions process and thus the need to schedule an interview earlier than later. There is no such requirement for Wharton and all interviews are evaluated equally.

Good luck.
Manager
Manager
Latin America: My New “Frontier” in Business School [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2016, 14:00
FROM Wharton Admissions Blog: Latin America: My New “Frontier” in Business School
Something I have learned about myself is that I’m curious enough about most things in life to try them once. Often, this is in the form of travel – intentionally going somewhere I know I will be uncomfortable, trying a food that I cannot pronounce the name of, and immersing…Read More

The post Latin America: My New “Frontier” in Business School appeared first on MBA Program.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: 330 Q162 V168
GPA: 3.85
WE: Project Management (Internet and New Media)

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2016, 14:19
Hi, are there any Wharton applicants who have received nothing today? No invite! No ding! What should I do?
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2016, 14:33
Engr2012 wrote:
abgirl wrote:
Congratulation to all the applicants who got the interview. I wish you good luck.

Did you get the invite ?

No, got dinged.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.35
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2016, 15:13
Interview invite here.

We have one life. Keep trying.

Current Student
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2016, 15:25
got an invite here. GL to everyone!
Current Student
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.94
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2016, 15:46
Dinged, and assuming because of my story/goals. Makes me worry about the other schools...

Good luck to the rest of you all.
Expert Post
Manager
Manager
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2016, 15:52
vkun wrote:
Hi, are there any Wharton applicants who have received nothing today? No invite! No ding! What should I do?

This is quite unusual. You should send the adcom an email asap to check what happened.
Hope you receive positive news tomorrow. Keep us updated.

Vincent Ho-Tin-Noe
CEO and co-founder
MBA Admissions Advisors, LLC
http://www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com/

Prepare for your HBS interview: http://www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com/hbs-round-one-interview-invites/
Prepare for your Wharton TBD: http://www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com/registrations-for-the-wharton-team-based-discussion-simulation/

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Wharton '18 (A)
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2016, 17:31
This post received
KUDOS
Got an interview invite!
Lauder Portuguese-track applicant from Argentina
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
WE: Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Reviews Badge
Calling all Wharton Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2016, 18:47
Dinged w/o interview.
I had talked to almost 70 alumni overall, and apart from 1-2, everyone suggested I bring in lot of value from my accomplishments, initiatives and a hands-on niche tech (not IT) background to the class.
But as their alma matter(s) didn't agree ... Wharton, HBS, MIT (Invite->reject from Stanford) ... I suppose either things are really random in admissions process or students/alumni don't understand the selection either. :(
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
S

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2016, 18:56
This post received
KUDOS
brio wrote:
Dinged w/o interview.
I had talked to almost 70 alumni overall, and apart from 1-2, everyone suggested I bring in lot of value from my accomplishments, initiatives and an hands-on niche tech (not IT) background to the class.
But as their alma matter(s) didn't agree ... Wharton, HBS, MIT (Invite->reject from Stanford) ... I suppose either things are really random in admissions process or students/alumni don't understand the selection either. :(

Sorry to hear about your ding but there are many other variables that come into the picture other than your application, class diversity is one of the major ones. Alumni can not comment on this aspect as only the adcoms would know how many of a particular "pool" have they selected or how many more from the same pool can be accommodated in a given round of applications. You come from a very competitive and over represented pool of Indian engineers (correct me if I am wrong) and as such there will be many with 750 and above GMAT, 3.7+ GPAs, stellar recommendations and extracurriculars. So only a handful of people from this pool can be selected for any given class in the top schools. I too belong to this pool and got dinged after interview at Wharton in R1. Although I did my UG from India, I had more than enough things to differentiate my profile from the usual Indian engineer applications. But the adcom had other ideas.

The thing going for you is that your stats are great. It is only a matter of time that you will convert one of your choice schools. Your conversations with Alumni helped you in understanding the culture at Wharton, what is stands for etc. But I dont think any alumnus/na will guarantee you a seat in the class based on your interaction with them as every individual comes into a bschool with a different set of targets to achieve. Everyone does this much of work for their applications. At the end of the day you just need to play your cards correctly and hope that your luck is running wild on that particular day!

Good luck with your other applications.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.79

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2016, 20:56
Engr2012 wrote:
brio wrote:
Dinged w/o interview.
I had talked to almost 70 alumni overall, and apart from 1-2, everyone suggested I bring in lot of value from my accomplishments, initiatives and an hands-on niche tech (not IT) background to the class.

Sorry to hear about your ding but there are many other variables that come into the picture other than your application, class diversity is one of the major ones. Alumni can not comment on this aspect as only the adcoms would know how many of a particular "pool" have they selected or how many more from the same pool can be accommodated in a given round of applications. You come from a very competitive and over represented pool of Indian engineers (correct me if I am wrong) and as such there will be many with 750 and above GMAT, 3.7+ GPAs, stellar recommendations and extracurriculars. So only a handful of people from this pool can be selected for any given class in the top schools. I too belong to this pool and got dinged after interview at Wharton in R1. Although I did my UG from India, I had more than enough things to differentiate my profile from the usual Indian engineer applications. But the adcom had other ideas.

The thing going for you is that your stats are great. It is only a matter of time that you will convert one of your choice schools. Your conversations with Alumni helped you in understanding the culture at Wharton, what is stands for etc. But I dont think any alumnus/na will guarantee you a seat in the class based on your interaction with them as every individual comes into a bschool with a different set of targets to achieve. Everyone does this much of work for their applications. At the end of the day you just need to play your cards correctly and hope that your luck is running wild on that particular day!

Good luck with your other applications.

This is a great answer. Class diversity plays so much more of a role than I ever expected it to
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2016, 21:06
Dinged as expected.
I guess I am aging very fast. With 31+ it was anyway doubtful at Wharton. Plus Indian pool as Engr2012 mentioned.
But why does most or all of the schools in US see age so negatively, unlike European ones?
Dinged from CBS, Booth and Wharton. At least I was expecting an invite from Booth!!!
Lrts Let's see what other 3 schools have got for me besides age issue.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.83
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2016, 21:26
It just seems like 30+ is automatic rejection. I am in the same boat (33 years old). Got ding from CBS, HBS, and Wharton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2016, 21:48
This post received
KUDOS
Lazure wrote:
Dinged ! Like other people I saw my decision letter in the portal.

Noidea1234 and YumBeeA : I think that it's actually a good sign if you don't see anything in the portal. Hang in there !

Good luck to all !

You were right. Invited. Second time in a row. Hope I will be lucky second time. It has been a really painful 1.5 years. All the best to all here.
Re: Calling all Wharton Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!   [#permalink] 09 Feb 2016, 21:48

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  29   30   31   32   33   34   35  ...  40    Next  [ 791 posts ] 

Calling all Wharton Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: rohan2345

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap