GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 22 Jan 2020, 14:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all Yale SOM Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Re: Calling all Yale SOM Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2016, 17:39
Thanks Izzy767! This must have been a recent update on their website.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.48
WE: Other (Entertainment and Sports)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2016, 10:38
Just got the call from them - in with scholarship! Best of luck to everyone else!
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2016, 10:39
jbmonu wrote:
Just got the call from them - in with scholarship! Best of luck to everyone else!

Hey congrats!!!

I thought they will share the results on 25th March. This is quite fast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current Student
Concentration: Sustainability, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.4
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2016, 10:45
addict1ve wrote:
jbmonu wrote:

Hey congrats!!!

Congrats jbmonu!

addict1ve: Results for Consortium applicants were due today.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2016, 10:45
rohankumar92 wrote:
addict1ve wrote:
jbmonu wrote:

Hey congrats!!!

Congrats jbmonu!

addict1ve: Results for Consortium applicants were due today.

Ohh great! Thanks!

BSchool Moderator
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.52
WE: Research (Education)

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2016, 10:46
addict1ve wrote:
jbmonu wrote:

Hey congrats!!!

Just a note that this early release of results is only for the consortium applicants! The rest of us should hear back on Mar 25th as planned.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2016, 10:47
jbmonu wrote:

Hey congrats!

Two questions:
1) When did you get interview?
2) Did you application portal online change at all?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
WE: Consulting (Aerospace and Defense)

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2016, 11:02
fakename wrote:
addict1ve wrote:
jbmonu wrote:

Hey congrats!!!

Just a note that this early release of results is only for the consortium applicants! The rest of us should hear back on Mar 25th as planned.

UHHHHH Why do they do Consortium applicants before everyone else? This is super stressful
Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2016, 11:37
scripto wrote:
jbmonu wrote:

Hey congrats!

Two questions:
1) When did you get interview?
2) Did you application portal online change at all?

Ugh yeah sorry I know it's stressful for non-consortium applicants to have to wait longer and no idea why as our deadline was only about three days before the regular R2 deadline.

I interviewed 2/12 and no the portal hasn't changed yet but they let me know it would take some time.
BSchool Moderator

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2016, 11:42
It seems like Consortium has its own application platform and timelines. Quite honestly, I suppose they have quite a bit of power and influence as they majorly contribute to URM recruiting for MBA programs.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2016, 11:42
URM recruiting?

BSchool Moderator

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2016, 11:51
addict1ve URM = Under-represented minority

jbmonu Congrats! You definitely have great stats but could you possibly comment on what you think really made your application stand out?
Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2016, 12:04
fakename wrote:
addict1ve URM = Under-represented minority

jbmonu Congrats! You definitely have great stats but could you possibly comment on what you think really made your application stand out?

Thanks! I think it helps that I come from a non-traditional background and that I was able to get my quant score up to at least a 49 on the GMAT since I haven't done any sort of math since college. I also thought a lot about my story - I work in the creative space in entertainment right now and I wanted to get an MBA to move from the creative to the strategy/business development side at senior level. Lastly I sorta lucked out with Yale's essays (for the Consortium I had to do a general essay on long term and short term goals and then a Yale specific one asking me to describe a time a left a lasting impact at a company) and when I left my last job a year ago (before even thinking about getting an MBA) that was something I made an effort to do so the essay came very naturally to me.

Hope this makes sense and is helpful!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.2

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2016, 14:35
fakename wrote:
It seems like Consortium has its own application platform and timelines. Quite honestly, I suppose they have quite a bit of power and influence as they majorly contribute to URM recruiting for MBA programs.

Just FYI, the reason why we find out earlier is because in early March (this year, March 8) the Consortium and the member schools hold a draft to allot the Consortium Fellowships. Prior to the draft, Consortium applicants must be admitted to the school and admitted to the Consortium program before they are eligible for the fellowship. Thus, the schools make decisions on an earlier timeline (since they must know by draft date who they are admitting). Most schools notify students about the admissions decision right after the draft. Consortium applicants don't have a particular admissions advantage over non-Consortium applicants, it's just a different process since we are also seeking a specific fellowship and membership to the Consortium's program.
BSchool Moderator

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2016, 15:10
Izzy767 haha I was trying to be careful in my wording but I meant to refer to the power that Consortium as a program/organization has on MBA admissions process to demand earlier deadlines etc due to its significant contribution to URM MBA recruiting/support. What influence one's racial/cultural/socioeconomical background has on admissions is an entirely different discussion altogether.
Manager
Manager
Calling all Yale SOM Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2016, 15:17
fakename wrote:
Izzy767 haha I was trying to be careful in my wording but I meant to refer to the power that Consortium as a program/organization has on MBA admissions process to demand earlier deadlines etc due to its significant contribution to URM MBA recruiting/support. What influence one's racial/cultural/socioeconomical background has on admissions is an entirely different discussion altogether.

Oh yea, that's actually what I assumed you meant. I was just trying to explain what the Consortium is and how it is different since I imagine it's confusing to people who aren't in the process.
Additional edit: And yes, that is an entirely different discussion, particularly because the Consortium is open to applicants of any racial/cultural/socioeconomic background.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2016, 11:09
Izzy767 wrote:
fakename wrote:

Oh yea, that's actually what I assumed you meant. I was just trying to explain what the Consortium is and how it is different since I imagine it's confusing to people who aren't in the process.
Additional edit: And yes, that is an entirely different discussion, particularly because the Consortium is open to applicants of any racial/cultural/socioeconomic background.

Hi Izzy767,

This has been a question in my mind for quite sometime. How is Consortium different from non-Consortium? Does it reflect any difference in program or it is just some difference in admission process? Is there some reference article to clarify how Consortium is different?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2016, 11:38
popov wrote:
Izzy767 wrote:
fakename wrote:

Hi Izzy767,

This has been a question in my mind for quite sometime. How is Consortium different from non-Consortium? Does it reflect any difference in program or it is just some difference in admission process? Is there some reference article to clarify how Consortium is different?

Long story short, the Consortium is a completely separate program that you can apply to a certain group of schools through (Yale is one of those schools). You don't have to be a certain race/ethnicity/whatever to apply, but you have to prove in the application that you are committed to the Consortium's mission (increasing diversity in business) though extracurricular activities, involvement in diversity recruitment at your employer, etc. Here is an article from P&Q about it from a few years ago: http://poetsandquants.com/2011/04/20/in ... mba-draft/
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2016, 11:51
I'm not Izzy, but what influenced me to apply to business school through the Consortium is their network of top business schools and alumni, top employers and prospective students/current students who all have the common goal of helping to increase the number of African Americans, Hispanics and Native Americans in business. It's the mission of the consortium and in order to join it, one must express their commitment to that mission - diversity.

The main benefit of being a member is the diversity network, and the possibility of receiving the fellowship, which cuts down on post-MBA debt considerably.

To add to that...Our world has become more complex and businesses recognize that clients are also becoming more diverse. Additionally, a diverse workforce and upper management gives many businesses a competitive advantage in the marketplace and in many cases adds to their bottom line (diversity of thought; innovative ideas). So, it's also a good business decision.

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2016, 16:55
This forum has been quiet the past few days! First of all, for those who got acceptance through Consortium, congratulations! You guys certainly got the rest of us jealous and anxious! :)

For the rest of us, how are you all holding up? Appears some other schools are releasing their results; please do share if you have good news to share!

For me, I'm trying to finish my PhD dissertation and finally set my PhD defense date! My future is so uncertain it's a bit unnerving, but I'll keep my head up!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all Yale SOM Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!   [#permalink] 13 Mar 2016, 16:55

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40  ...  44    Next  [ 863 posts ] 

Calling all Yale SOM Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: sharathnair14