It is currently 18 Aug 2017, 18:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Duke Fuqua MQM vs Dartmouth Thayer MEM

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

MQM vs MEM

• 100% [7]
  • 0% [0]
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Duke Fuqua MQM vs Dartmouth Thayer MEM [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2017, 11:17
Hi All! I was very fortunate to have been accepted to Duke (Master of Quantitative Management) and Dartmouth (Master of Engineering Management).

I want to work at one of the big-3 MBB upon graduation. The MQM program is new-this is its year of launch! This worries me a little as there is no history of employment and there is no assurance that consulting companies will target MQM students. However, I'm more inclined towards this program because it has a more rigorous analytical/quantitative curriculum (and I truly love that). It's a 10 months program vs the 18 months program at Dartmouth. Dartmouth comes with an internship opportunity though.

The MEM on the other hand has been going on for several years and has a well established reputation with top consulting firms. Dartmouth is also closer to Boston and NY-better job opportunities.

1) Should I worry that this MQM's launch year?
2) Do you think that my chances of landing a consulting job at Dartmouth will be higher because MEM has been established for several years?
3) Do you think that my chances of landing a consulting job at Dartmouth because of its proximity to NY and Boston?
4) If you were in my shoes, and excluding any other factors (financials/campuses/location), what would you chose?

Thanks a bunch!

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 16

Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GPA: 3.97
WE: Business Development (Consulting)
Duke Fuqua MQM vs Dartmouth Thayer MEM [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2017, 12:32
Congrats! Did you receive any $?

I also wanted to apply to MQM but decided to wait until the next year. :wink:

If you are straight out of undergraduate and don't want to focus on engineering that much, then just go to Duke. + you are deciding between School of Engineering (Tuck) and School of Business (Duke). MQM program has strategy and finance concentrations which might be more useful in consulting. You should clarify with admissions at Duke whether on campus recruiting will be any different from MBA/UG students.

My personal belief is that the shorter program the better, because all you need is an access to alumni network and recruiting.

Intern
Intern

Re: Duke Fuqua MQM vs Dartmouth Thayer MEM [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2017, 12:51
dimson wrote:

If you are straight out of undergraduate and don't want to focus on engineering that much, then just go to Duke. + you are deciding between School of Engineering (Tuck) and School of Business (Duke). MQM program has strategy and finance concentrations which might be more useful in consulting. You should clarify with admissions at Duke whether on campus recruiting will be any different from MBA/UG students.

My personal belief is that the shorter program the better, because all you need is an access to alumni network and recruiting.

Hey Dimson! Thanks!

Yes, I received a merit-based scholarship from Duke, but even after that the total cost is almost similar to that of Dartmouth.

I graduated in 2015, and I have some experiences in a project management company and also at a Forbes 50 FMCG.

I got into the strategy track (MQM), and I truly love the syllabus and the fact that it is heavily analytical. My only concern as you highlighted is the campus recruiting. The admissions counsellors have been very vague in this point. They are positively promising good job opportunities without any tangible proof (and I believe them).

But what do you think? Do you think that MBBs value Dartmouth as an Ivy League more than Duke? And the fact that Dartmouth is closer to NY and Bostor-do you think that puts Dartmouth at an edge?

Intern
Intern
B

Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GPA: 3.97
WE: Business Development (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2017, 13:41
elsayedafs wrote:
dimson wrote:

Hey Dimson! Thanks!

Yes, I received a merit-based scholarship from Duke, but even after that the total cost is almost similar to that of Dartmouth.

I graduated in 2015, and I have some experiences in a project management company and also at a Forbes 50 FMCG.

I got into the strategy track (MQM), and I truly love the syllabus and the fact that it is heavily analytical. My only concern as you highlighted is the campus recruiting. The admissions counsellors have been very vague in this point. They are positively promising good job opportunities without any tangible proof (and I believe them).

But what do you think? Do you think that MBBs value Dartmouth as an Ivy League more than Duke? And the fact that Dartmouth is closer to NY and Bostor-do you think that puts Dartmouth at an edge?

While Fuqua is one of the best business schools, Thayer is not one of the best engineering programs. Most MBB firms come to Duke's campus to conduct 1 round interviews, so there is no advantage at all to live closer to NY/Boston, except for you personal location preferences. Once you are at the stage of case interviews, i believe that only case-solving performance matters and not the marginal difference in rankings. Consequently, brands of these schools are the same Tier. I don't think you will have any IVV-advantage if you attend Tuck.

I still recommend going to Duke, and then, if needed for career progression, getting a 1-year MBA. Or simply work for another year and try to get into top MBA instead.

You should also consider the opportunity cost of not working for a year + cost of living.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2017, 14:14
dimson wrote:
elsayedafs wrote:
dimson wrote:

Hey Dimson! Thanks!

While Fuqua is one of the best business schools, Thayer is not one of the best engineering programs. Most MBB firms come to Duke's campus to conduct 1 round interviews, so there is no advantage at all to live closer to NY/Boston, except for you personal location preferences. Once you are at the stage of case interviews, i believe that only case-solving performance matters and not the marginal difference in rankings. Consequently, brands of these schools are the same Tier. I don't think you will have any IVV-advantage if you attend Tuck.

I still recommend going to Duke, and then, if needed for career progression, getting a 1-year MBA. Or simply work for another year and try to get into top MBA instead.

You should also consider the opportunity cost of not working for a year + cost of living.

So you think the fact that the program is new is not disadvantageous/worrisome?

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Schools: Duke MMS"18 (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2017, 00:10
Hey, just want to provide a data point for you here.

I am enrolled in Fuqua's MMS programe Class of 2018 and my end goal is also a job at MBB. I checked my chances with Fuqua's Career Centre and I was told that its MSc (MMS, MQM) programmes don't have a lot of alumni going to MBB. And the MMS programme has run for nearly 10 years now. The reason quoted was that as MSc students, we will compete with Duke's undergraduates for Business Analyst positions and apparently Duke's undergraduates have the upper hand.

Not saying that you shouldn't, but you should definitely check and be aware, especially MQM is a new programme and it will need time to build its reputation.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Expert Post
Stratus Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 32

Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2017, 11:53
willois wrote:
Hey, just want to provide a data point for you here.

I am enrolled in Fuqua's MMS programe Class of 2018 and my end goal is also a job at MBB. I checked my chances with Fuqua's Career Centre and I was told that its MSc (MMS, MQM) programmes don't have a lot of alumni going to MBB. And the MMS programme has run for nearly 10 years now. The reason quoted was that as MSc students, we will compete with Duke's undergraduates for Business Analyst positions and apparently Duke's undergraduates have the upper hand.

Not saying that you shouldn't, but you should definitely check and be aware, especially MQM is a new programme and it will need time to build its reputation.
Let us know who were the major recruiters for the MMS program at Fuqua! That is interesting info to have as students consider these options.

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 32

Re: Duke Fuqua MQM vs Dartmouth Thayer MEM   [#permalink] 11 May 2017, 11:53