GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Dec 2018, 17:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz, Tomorrow, Saturday at 9 AM PST

December 14, 2018

December 14, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

10 Questions will be posted on the forum and we will post a reply in this Topic with a link to each question. There are prizes for the winners.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

December 13, 2018

December 13, 2018

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

Entomologists studying the parched grasslands and savannahs

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMATClub
Concentration: Nonprofit
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Entomologists studying the parched grasslands and savannahs  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2018, 05:09
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (01:12) correct 33% (01:08) wrong based on 308 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Entomologists studying the parched grasslands and savannahs of Africa, South America, and Asia have found that termite mounds in these regions storing nutrients and moisture, and allowing water – through internal tunnels – to better penetrate the soil, resulting in flourishing vegetation in ecosystems that are otherwise highly vulnerable to desertification.

A. have found that termite mounds in these regions storing nutrients and moisture, and allowing water – through internal tunnels – to better penetrate the soil, resulting

B. have found that termite mounds in these regions store nutrients and moisture, and allow water – through internal tunnels – to better penetrate the soil, resulting

C. and finding that termite mounds in these regions store nutrients and moisture and allow water – through internal tunnels – to better penetrate the soil, resulting

D. have found that termite mounds in these regions store nutrients and moisture, which allows water – through internal tunnels – to better penetrate the soil, resulting

E. and finding that termite mounds in these regions store nutrients and moisture, which allows water – through internal tunnels – to better penetrate the soil, result

New project wSTAT(which Schools To Apply To?)

GMATClub School Ambassador

B-School app with GRE

New - RC Butler - 2 RC's everyday

Board of Directors
P
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Entomologists studying the parched grasslands and savannahs  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2018, 06:51
workout wrote:
Entomologists studying the parched grasslands and savannahs of Africa, South America, and Asia have found that termite mounds in these regions storing nutrients and moisture, and allowing water – through internal tunnels – to better penetrate the soil, resulting in flourishing vegetation in ecosystems that are otherwise highly vulnerable to desertification.

A. have found that termite mounds in these regions storing nutrients and moisture, and allowing water – through internal tunnels – to better penetrate the soil, resulting

B. have found that termite mounds in these regions store nutrients and moisture, and allow water – through internal tunnels – to better penetrate the soil, resulting

C. and finding that termite mounds in these regions store nutrients and moisture and allow water – through internal tunnels – to better penetrate the soil, resulting

D. have found that termite mounds in these regions store nutrients and moisture, which allows water – through internal tunnels – to better penetrate the soil, resulting

E. and finding that termite mounds in these regions store nutrients and moisture, which allows water – through internal tunnels – to better penetrate the soil, result

IMHO (B) -

Entomologists studying the parched grasslands and savannahs of Africa, South America, and Asia have found that
termite mounds in these regions
    store nutrients and moisture, and
    allow water – through internal tunnels
– to better penetrate the soil,
resulting in flourishing vegetation in ecosystems that are otherwise highly vulnerable to desertification.

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Entomologists studying the parched grasslands and savannahs  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2018, 07:30
Top Contributor
We can undoubtedly dislodge A, C, and E for their fragmentation. D has a grave error. The relative pronoun 'which' modifies both nutrients and moisture and hence should be followed by a plural verb rather than the singular 'allows.' If D wants the relative pronoun to modify only moisture, then it should be, moisture, which allows water and nutrients. B is the choice

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.98

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2018, 07:31
Imo B

wrong tense should be store, allow.

Correctly illustrates the various functions termite mounds serve.

A fragment doesn't contains main verb.

illogically signifies moisture allows water to penetrate.

Combines error of C & D.

Sailing through rough waters. Stars & few kudos will steer me past.

Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2018, 09:56
My vote is B. For people saying D, if “mounds” is plural, how are you suggesting to use “allows” and not “allow”?

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2018, 09:59
Blazethrough14 wrote:
My vote is B. For people saying D, if “mounds” is plural, how are you suggesting to use “allows” and not “allow”?

Is not the "mounds" that "allows" in that case but rather the fact that they "store nutrients and moisture" .... this fact then allows .... :)

A couple of things that helped me in verbal:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-strategies-268700.html#p2082192

Gmat Prep CAT #1: V42, Q34, 630
Gmat Prep CAT #2: V46, Q35, 660
Gmat Prep CAT #3: V41, Q42, 680

On the mission to improve my quant score, all help is appreciated! :)

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2018, 18:26
In my opinion B
According to the sentence meaning, termite mounds are performing 2 actions,
1)storing nutrients and moisture
2)allowing water
These to actions should be parallel to each other. So the parallelism marker 'and' should be presents. So the proper intent of the sentence is maintained in B
However , in D the parallelism is off. It appears that 'allows water' is modifying moisture and also the parallelism marker is not there. So it is changing the intent of the original sentence. Therefore D is out.
Please let me know if my analysis is wrong.
Manager
Manager
S
Schools: ISB
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V32

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2018, 18:54
I'd go with B. D is has absolutely wrong - which allows. C and E are out because they do not have any verb for the subject. Between A and B, B is better.
Hence B

Regards,

Vaibhav

Sky is the limit. 800 is the limit.

~GMAC

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2018, 04:14
IMO B
I don't think comma+which in D is correct
However, I remember Ron once said that comma+resulting is not accepted in GMAT
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE: Business Development (Other)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2018, 18:05
Hello daagh ..

Could you please explain.. Why "which" can't refer to moisture only . Is this a rule that in format .. A and b ,which, which will only refer to a and b.

Kindly help

Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2018, 02:05
Top Contributor
madhu
I do not know whether there is any rule, but I know D is wrong for the same reason I stated. probably, you can see whether there are any such examples in GMAT official questions.

Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2018, 23:37
workout wrote:

Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V23

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2018, 06:33

i feel something is wrong with B

Termite mounds store nutrients and moisture
Termite mounds allow water

how you will create a single sentence?
Type 1: Termite mounds store nutrients, store moisture and allow water.

Type 2: Termite mounds store nutrients and moisture, and they allow water.

according to my under standing Option B is constructed like Type 2 ie. 2 independent clause are joined using comma+and.

so both independent clause should have subject + Verb ,however subject seems to missing in 2nd independent clause in option B

can somebody help!

It’s not that I’m so smart, it’s just that I stay with problems longer. -- Albert Einstein

Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2018, 00:02
Top Contributor
@aa088 wrote

Quote:

i feel something is wrong with B

Termite mounds store nutrients and moisture
Termite mounds allow water

how you will create a single sentence?
Type 1: Termite mounds store nutrients, store moisture and allow water.

Type 2: Termite mounds store nutrients and moisture, and they allow water.

according to my understanding Option B is constructed like Type 2 ie. 2 independent clauses are joined using comma+and.

so both independent clause should have subject + Verb, however, the subject seems to missing in the 2nd independent clause in option B

can somebody help!

Before we go further, the basic point that one has to keep at the back of the mind is that a coordinate conjunction such as 'and' can

1. join two full-fledged clauses with a subject of and verb of each own'( as in a compound sentence as in your type 2 )

2. have one subject and two compound predicates, as in your type 1, in which case it will be only a simple clause with two compound predicates. (in my opinion, this is a better sentence than type 2 sentences)
3. join just two words (either verbs or nouns or adjectives or predicate objects or prepositional phrases or whatever on the earth provided they are equal and parallel in meaning and structure
All of the above are equally acceptable and any preference for one type over another may be purely a matter of personal taste but have nothing to do with grammar or style.
(sorry for the sermon)

Now, on to this question. The choice B per se

Quote:
B. Entomologists studying the parched grasslands and savannahs of Africa, South America, and Asia have found that termite mounds in these regions store nutrients and moisture, and allow water – through internal tunnels – to better penetrate the soil, resulting in flourishing vegetation in ecosystems that are otherwise highly vulnerable to desertification.

The sentence is a complex sentence, wherein

1. Entomologists studying the parched grasslands and savannahs of Africa, South America, and Asia have found -- This is the main clause.

2. that termite mounds in these regions store nutrients and moisture, and allow water – through internal tunnels – to better penetrate the soil, resulting in flourishing vegetation in ecosystems that are otherwise highly vulnerable to desertification.

This is a subordinate clause with subordiante connector 'that' followed by the subject 'the termite mounds. The termite mounds do two functions namely storing and allowing. Now there is no need to mention the subject again as the subject of the first clause is also the subject as of the second. Store xxx and allow yyy are the two predicates of the single subject mounds. Then there is is a long modifier starting with a present particle, but irrelevant to the discussion here.

This a perfectly licit presentation. Why should we prefer a long-winded complex sentence, when we can do the same in a crisper way.

Any reason why only full-fledged compound sentences (your type2) should be used in these contexts?

Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V23

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2018, 00:14
daagh
thanks for the prompt reply.

Quote:
Store xxx and allow yyy
this is very much according to the grammar.

but the option B says Store xxx , and allow yyy. Only 2 items in the list should be joined using AND not by Comma+AND.

this is my main confusion. Sorry for asking many questions...

It’s not that I’m so smart, it’s just that I stay with problems longer. -- Albert Einstein

Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2018, 00:21
Top Contributor
True; A comma is an irritant between two predicates. But we don't decide the correct choice on a comma in GMAT. Therefore, it is okay.

Narendran +9198845 44509

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Entomologists studying the parched grasslands and savannahs &nbs [#permalink] 07 Dec 2018, 00:21

Entomologists studying the parched grasslands and savannahs

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap