Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:38 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.89
WE:Accounting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Test day Diet strategy [#permalink]
Expert Reply
I'd recommend that you avoid changing anything health-wise as the test draws near. Keep up a familiar diet, maintain your exercise routine, get enough sleep, etc.

If you still have a long time until the test, it may help to make an effort to eat healthier, but again, you don't want to change anything major on test day. If you are accustomed to having eaten at the time of your test, then you want to have eaten. (How do you like those verb tenses? :) )

A bit of readily-available glucose is good on test day. I go for a protein bar with some chocolate in it (because chocolate makes me happy) and a sweet iced tea or Vitamin Water. Others go for a piece of fruit. Make sure it's something you like, and that it doesn't take too long to eat. That 8-minute break goes fast!

Originally posted by DmitryFarber on 31 Dec 2015, 00:59.
Last edited by DmitryFarber on 22 Jan 2016, 12:57, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: Test day Diet strategy [#permalink]
Expert Reply
rs1 wrote:
Hi all, I'm starting to think about everything that will take place on test day - from the clothes that I will be wearing to the food that I will be eating before and during the test. I intend to mimic such a routine in advance of the test.
I like being slightly hungry before an exam. But that's something I do only on exam day (not during practice). Chocolate during the break(s).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Thank you for the responses! I've been away over the holiday period hence the delay..

Kelzie01 wrote:
Have you tried a high protein/fat breakfast? I've found that a lot of carbs (which is common for breakfast) can play havoc with blood sugar levels. Try a couple eggs or sausages and see how you feel.

However, DURING the test, carbs is king! I plan on half a PB&J during each break to recharge my glucose levels. I'm thinking an hour and 15 minutes is not enough time for any blood sugar drop to happen-plus I'm taking in more glucose in another hour and 15.

I agree, a bowl of porridge as suggested by my doc has my lethargy sky rocket after 2 hours or so.. Unfortunately, I don't get on with eggs (would have been awesome if I did though). What is PB&J?

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi rs1,

These are all important details to consider (and experiment with during your studies, so that you can find the best 'combination' for you). To that end, what do you typically eat for breakfast NOW? How long until you feel that you need to eat/drink more? How does that align with when you'll start your Official GMAT and take your two 8-minute breaks?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

All good questions! I have been experimenting over the last few weeks. Presently, I have half a smoothie in the morning (right after my first coffee; I NEED my coffee). The smoothie contains whey protein, milk, a little yoghurt and vegetable powder. I have the second half of the smoothie about 75-90 minutes later (with another coffee). Following this smoothie, I'm not having much success. The key for me is to keep meals small (otherwise lethargy) so I'm experimenting with (i) sandwiches (brown bread, lettuce, one slice cheese, chicken) (ii) 2 slices of apple with peanut butter.

I'm going to try adding sweet potatoes to the mix to see how that works. I don't have a definitive answer to the other questions yet as I've only just started to record times etc. What have been your success strategies re. diet?

DmitryFarber wrote:
I'd recommend that you avoid changing anything health-wise as the test draws near. Keep up a familiar diet, maintain your exercise routine, get enough sleep, etc.

If you still have a long time until the test, it may help to make an effort to eat healthier, but again, you don't want to change anything major on test day. If you are accustomed to having eating at the time of your test, then you want to have eaten. (How do you like those verb tenses? :) )

A bit of readily-available glucose is good on test day. I go for a protein bar with some chocolate in it (because chocolate makes me happy) and a sweet iced tea or Vitamin Water. Others go for a piece of fruit. Make sure it's something you like, and that it doesn't take too long to eat. That 8-minute break goes fast!

Thank you for the practical suggestion! I will experiment with protein bars and beverages during my 8 minute breaks!

Sidenote: At first, I thought that you had made a mistake in your verb tenses. Oh dear - I need to study harder.. Could I ask you to explain the construction that you used, particularly the reason for inserting 'having' when using a progressive tense in the past? (SC - the bane of my life!)

AjiteshArun wrote:
rs1 wrote:
Hi all, I'm starting to think about everything that will take place on test day - from the clothes that I will be wearing to the food that I will be eating before and during the test. I intend to mimic such a routine in advance of the test.
I like being slightly hungry before an exam. But that's something I do only on exam day (not during practice). Chocolate during the break(s).

Thanks Arjun, I've also thought about this but cannot seem to strike the right balance! Do you eat anything in the morning before the test? I'm just wondering what 'slightly hungry' means for you?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
rs1 wrote:
Thank you for the responses! I've been away over the holiday period hence the delay..

I agree, a bowl of porridge as suggested by my doc has my lethargy sky rocket after 2 hours or so.. Unfortunately, I don't get on with eggs (would have been awesome if I did though). What is PB&J?

You must not be from America. :-D Peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Gets your blood sugar going nice and quick.

rs1 wrote:
All good questions! I have been experimenting over the last few weeks. Presently, I have half a smoothie in the morning (right after my first coffee; I NEED my coffee). The smoothie contains whey protein, milk, a little yoghurt and vegetable powder. I have the second half of the smoothie about 75-90 minutes later (with another coffee). Following this smoothie, I'm not having much success. The key for me is to keep meals small (otherwise lethargy) so I'm experimenting with (i) sandwiches (brown bread, lettuce, one slice cheese, chicken) (ii) 2 slices of apple with peanut butter.

I'm going to try adding sweet potatoes to the mix to see how that works. I don't have a definitive answer to the other questions yet as I've only just started to record times etc. What have been your success strategies re. diet?

If you're experiencing significant lethargy, you might want to check in with a doctor. Couldn't hurt. Also, are you getting 8 hours of sleep consistently? Try a meal with relatively low carbs-like a salad with chicken breast. See how you feel after that.

rs1 wrote:
If you are accustomed to having eating at the time of your test, then you want to have eaten. (How do you like those verb tenses? :) )
Thank you for the practical suggestion! I will experiment with protein bars and beverages during my 8 minute breaks!

Sidenote: At first, I thought that you had made a mistake in your verb tenses. Oh dear - I need to study harder.. Could I ask you to explain the construction that you used, particularly the reason for inserting 'having' when using a progressive tense in the past? (SC - the bane of my life!)

There is a little bit of an error. "...having eating" is not correct. Should be "having eaten."

rs1 wrote:
Thanks Arjun, I've also thought about this but cannot seem to strike the right balance! Do you eat anything in the morning before the test? I'm just wondering what 'slightly hungry' means for you?

You'll want to be careful with this. While it might work for some, it can pretty drastically backfire. The connection between blood glucose levels and mental performance is pretty well documented. If you're hungry, it's because your body is telling you that your blood glucose is low.

"A study by Sünram-Lea and colleagues found that a glucose drink significantly improved long-term verbal memory and long-term spatial memory in young adults. The effect was similar whether the drink was consumed after an overnight fast, a two-hour fast post-breakfast, or a two-hour fast post-lunch.5 Similarly, Riby and colleagues found glucose enhanced memory.6

The more demanding mental tasks appear to respond better to glucose than simpler tasks. This may be because the brain’s uptake of glucose increases under conditions of mild stress, which includes challenging mental tasks.4"

https://www.eufic.org/article/en/artid/G ... rformance/

I think we can all agree that the GMAT is a pretty mentally demanding task!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V27
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
For myself, the test was in the morning and I took some complex carbohydrates (nutrition bars) that lasted me all the way till after lunch. Make sure you eat something that you like actually, no point feeling downcast at the start of the exam from eating something you dislike!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Black5tar wrote:
For myself, the test was in the morning and I took some complex carbohydrates (nutrition bars) that lasted me all the way till after lunch. Make sure you eat something that you like actually, no point feeling downcast at the start of the exam from eating something you dislike!

Agreed! I took Dmitry's advice on board - opted for some protein bars with chocolate; seems to be doing the trick :D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V27
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
rs1 wrote:
Black5tar wrote:

Agreed! I took Dmitry's advice on board - opted for some protein bars with chocolate; seems to be doing the trick :D

Chocolate always makes my day! come to think of it, I brought some mango juice along as well to sip on during breaks. Perfect for a sugar high and happiness (perhaps too happy - that's why I messed up my first test)
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
On the grammar front, I adjusted the typo in my original post. (Thanks for the catch, Kelzie01! It was confusing enough already.) Here's the corrected text with explanation:

If you are accustomed to having eaten at the time of your test, then you want to have eaten.

The idea here is that if you are accustomed to a certain status, then you want to maintain that status. What is that status? Having already eaten. So if I am accustomed to the state of having eaten at test time, then I want to make sure that I have eaten by that time. Make sense, rs1?
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
And it's true, our beloved PB&J is not so popular outside the U.S. Those of you who end up at U.S. schools need to try a peanut butter and jelly sandwich at least once. I prefer the "natural" style of peanut butter that has no added ingredients other than salt. You have to stir the oil in when you open the jar. The cheaper brands are less work, but they have all sorts of junk added to them. I almost shipped a jar to one of my students in Abu Dhabi so he could try it! :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
On the grammar front, I adjusted the typo in my original post. (Thanks for the catch, Kelzie01! It was confusing enough already.) Here's the corrected text with explanation:

If you are accustomed to having eaten at the time of your test, then you want to have eaten.

The idea here is that if you are accustomed to a certain status, then you want to maintain that status. What is that status? Having already eaten. So if I am accustomed to the state of having eaten at test time, then I want to make sure that I have eaten by that time. Make sense, rs1?

Well, my V is stuck at 45 so apparently I just got lucky and caught you on an off day!! :lol:
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
The 99th percentile is a great place to get stuck! ;)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
rs1 wrote:
Yes, I do have breakfast (I always take exams in the morning). Not sure how specific I can be about the quantity, but definitely "less than normal".

I can understand Kelzie01's concerns, but I'm not talking about being hungry to the point of distraction. I just feel much more focused when I'm slightly hungry.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
This juice is made for your early morning breakfast routine, you can either drink it on its own before breakfast or along with it, if you so choose. It is super easy to make, and takes only a few minutes from the preparation stage to all the way to consumption. Here are the things you need:

Beet Root - 1 beet
Carrots - 2 medium size
Oranges - 2 fruit
The carrots and the oranges can also be used to make a juice of their own, to make that just process equal parts carrots and oranges through a juicer and collect the juice in a glass, and drink once done. For this particular drink, similar proceedings will be needed. Prepare the ingredients (washing, peeling, cutting), and then process them in a juicer. Collect the juice in a glass and drink. Best served early in the morning for a healthy start to your day.

more: okyalo
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Top Contributor
All of these are good suggestions.

My suggestion would be - whatever you do - don't drastically do something new or try something different. If you've never eaten or a certain mix of yogurt, for example, - don't all of a sudden test it on your body on the actual test day.

Instead, stick to routines you are comfortable with - so that you don't have any surprises.

Focus on relaxing and the test itself - food should be enough to give you energy - but not enough to the point that you have to go to the bathroom and take multiple breaks.

Keep in mind that if you do take breaks during the exam (except for outside the short breaks in between sections) - that the time will just continue to tick.

Before the test, give yourself a practice test and make sure you review your mistakes: https://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... ctice-test
GMAT Club Bot