GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jun 2019, 22:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

For a certain city's library, the average cost of purchasing each new

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
V
For a certain city's library, the average cost of purchasing each new  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2017, 03:10
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

65% (02:03) correct 35% (02:23) wrong based on 185 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

For a certain city's library, the average cost of purchasing each new book is $28. The library receives $15,000 from the city each year; the library also receives a bonus of $2,000 if the total number of items checked out over the course of the year exceeds 5,000. Did the library receive the bonus last year?

(1) The library purchased an average of 50 new books each month last year and received enough money from the city to cover this cost.
(2) The lowest number of items checked out in one moth was 459.

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: For a certain city's library, the average cost of purchasing each new  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2017, 03:53
Bunuel wrote:
For a certain city's library, the average cost of purchasing each new book is $28. The library receives $15,000 from the city each year; the library also receives a bonus of $2,000 if the total number of items checked out over the course of the year exceeds 5,000. Did the library receive the bonus last year?

(1) The library purchased an average of 50 new books each month last year and received enough money from the city to cover this cost.

(1) The total number of new books that the library purchased last year: 50 * 12 = 600 items < 5,000
=> The library didn't receive the bonus. Sufficient

(2) The total number of items checked out last year is equal to or greater than: 459 * 12 = 5,508 > 5,000
=> The library did receive the bonus. Sufficient.

The answer is D.
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: For a certain city's library, the average cost of purchasing each new  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2017, 04:19

(1) The library purchased an average of 50 new books each month last year and received enough money from the city to cover this cost

50 * 12 = 600 - Which is less than $ 5000 ===> Hence, Library did not receive the Bonus =====> (1) is SUFFICIENT

(2) The lowest number of items checked out in one moth was 459

459 * 12 = (459 * 10) + (459 * 2) = 4590+918 = 5508 > 5000 ===> Hence, Library did receive the Bonus =====> (2) is SUFFICIENT

Hence, Answer is D
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475
Current Student
P
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V38
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2017, 05:26
Bunuel wrote:

(1) 50 new books each month = 600 new books in the year = $16,800 spent in buying these books > $15000...Sufficient

(2) minimum 459 books per month checked out = minimum 459*12 books checked in the year >5000...Sufficient

D

Thanks
Luckisnoexcuse
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
WE: Programming (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 04:45
ydmuley and nguyendinhtuong

In GMAT statement 1 & 2 must give the same solution, in this case either library received the bonus or not received the bonus, in your solution statement 1 says bonus was not received and statement 1 says bonus was received. So I am doubtful about it.

Moreover, your interpretation for the statement 1 does not look right.

Statement (1) The library purchased an average of 50 new books each month last year and received enough money from the city to cover this cost.

Library spent 50 * 12 * 28 = 16,800 which is greater than 15,000 the money library receives each year by the city, so library must have received the bonus of 2000 to cover the extra cost of 1,800 hence sufficient.

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 15:19
I understand the answer is (D), but I have a bit of issue with statement (1), which says that "The library...received enough money from the city to cover the cost".

The text of the question doesn't say the $2000 is coming from the city....Should I have linked the word "also" to the fact it comes from the city, just as well as the $15000?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V27
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 15:28
This question is confusing! The condition to receive the bonus and the part of purchasing books is not well defined imo. (thats why there is a large number of B answers, ppl don't understand the 1) statement)
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing, Sustainability
GPA: 3.89

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 11:40
the first statement tells didnt receive bonus. The second tell receive bonus. i think the issue is confusing . how that is possible?
Manager
Manager
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2019, 11:51
Mahamudul608 wrote:
the first statement tells didnt receive bonus. The second tell receive bonus. i think the issue is confusing . how that is possible?

Hi Mahamudul608 both the statement tells Lib received bonus, please review below solution for more reference.

1) 50 new books each month = 50*12 = 600 new books in the year = $16,800 spent in buying these books > $15000 hence sufficient

2) Min 459 books per month checked out = minimum (500*11) + 459 books checked in the year >5000 hence sufficient

Hence - D

I'd appreciate learning about the grammatical errors in my posts

Please let me know if I'm wrong somewhere and help me to learn :-)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: For a certain city's library, the average cost of purchasing each new   [#permalink] 18 Mar 2019, 11:51

For a certain city's library, the average cost of purchasing each new

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics