It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 04:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

For our nation to maintain a position of economic strength

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 132 [1], given: 75

GMAT Date: 08-04-2015
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
For our nation to maintain a position of economic strength [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2015, 07:43
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

46% (02:04) correct 54% (02:11) wrong based on 335 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

For our nation to maintain a position of economic strength relative to other countries, it requires both accelerated personal investment levels and the unobstructed growth of production capacity, the factor which is known as A by economists and which increases grows largely spontaneously through society's development of technology. However, since technology development can be driven through economic support to individual entrepreneurs, ensuring these two key economic outcomes will require balancing these two kinds of financial incentives from the government to the individual.

If the statements in the passage above are true, for our nation to maintain a position of economic strength relative to other countries, it must

A. balance financial incentives to individuals, both to invest and to develop technology through entrepreneurship

B. balance two kinds of financial incentives: investment, on the personal level, and production capacity, on the level of the economy

C. drive accelerate personal investment while allowing production capacity to rise spontaneously

D. devote those financial incentives extended on the personal level to entrepreneurship

E. ensure that production growth remains unobstructed while balancing the two kinds of financial incentives driving personal investment
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by b9n920 on 08 Dec 2015, 05:36, edited 2 times in total.

Economist GMAT Tutor Discount CodesMath Revolution Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 30

Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 610 Q48 V27
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Re: For our nation to maintain a position of economic strength [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2015, 05:37
1st two lines clearly says that factors required for economic strength are personal inv and inc in production.
only option directly dealing with these 2 is C
others mention these too but i think C gives clear cut ans to the que.

please correct me if i'm missing something :roll:

correct if wrong, and a +1 wont hurt for like :wink:

Keep Faith in God Coz Every Question cannot be answered by Google

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 30

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 9

WE: Design (Aerospace and Defense)

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2015, 19:03
I feel the answer is A. Ultimately technological development is what we want in society for a
Quote:
position of economic strength relative to other countries
.This can be achieved through investment support and uninterrupted production. So by that logic A stands alone. My fingers are crossed by the way :)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 75

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2015, 10:41
pkm9995109794 wrote:
I feel the answer is A. Ultimately technological development is what we want in society for a
Quote:
position of economic strength relative to other countries
.This can be achieved through investment support and uninterrupted production. So by that logic A stands alone. My fingers are crossed by the way :)

Hi pkm9995109794,

Sorry for late reply, but you are absolutely right. OA is A. I had a real tough time understanding the prompt, especially the last line: ensuring these two key economic outcomes will require balancing these two kinds of financial incentives from the government to the individual.
Can u pls suggest the meaning of this portion? What are 'these two key economic outcomes'? The answer naturally depends on this line.
Thanks.

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 75

Expert Post
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd

Kudos [?]: 322 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2015, 08:37
The two economic outcomes here are "personal investment levels" and "growth of production capacity" and the growth of these two factors depends on "society's development of technology".. Hence the only statement which must be true from the argument is "A".

Aryama Dutta Saikia
Jamboree Education Pvt. Ltd.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 15

Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.76

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2015, 11:08
Can somebody provide difference between A and B
Why B is incorrect?

as B also talks about "balance two kinds of financial incentives: investment, on the personal level, and production capacity, on the level of the economy"

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 15

Manager
Manager
B

WE: Design (Aerospace and Defense)

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2015, 17:22
binit

ensuring these two key economic outcomes =ensuring accelerated personal investment levels and the unobstructed growth of production capacity.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 436 [0], given: 69

GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2015, 19:27
can anyone pls suggest why 'C' is wrong? Thanks

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Kudos [?]: 436 [0], given: 69

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2015, 05:04
This post received
KUDOS
Hi all,

I am posting the OE below. Frankly speaking I found the language of the Q far too convoluted. I wonder whether this is a proper practice Q for GMAT.

Explanation

Reading the prompt: it's relatively easy to get confused near the end of the prompt in this question. The last sentence mentions "two key economic outcomes" and "two kinds of financial incentives"--what do these refer to? One technique is to use the answer choices simply to understand a difficult prompt. Struggling test-takers do this all the time: they jump to the answer choices long before they're ready, because they don't know what else to do. We won't do that, but when we are having trouble understanding the prompt, we can use the answer choices...and then, we go back up and we'll still attempt to create a filter heading back down again to evaluate the answer choices.

Creating a filter: glancing at (A) and (B), we get the idea that "the two kinds of financial incentives" mentioned in the last sentence are 1) to invest and 2) to be an entrepreneur. That makes sense, because those two things are somewhat opposite and hence could be "balanced," as the prompt says. Having cleared that up makes it easier to see that the "two key economic outcomes" are accelerated personal investment levels and the growth of production capacity. Now we are able to form a filter, a brief summary of the last sentence: "the country has to encourage both investment and entrepreneurship in a balanced way."

Applying the filter: on first pass with this summary filter, (A) is in, (B) is out, (C) is out, (D) is out, and (E) is out. All of them except (A) have a miswording of the basic answer, which is to balance the two personal actions, investing and entrepreneur-ing. For example, (E) sounds good until the end, where it says both incentives drive personal investment. The correct answer is (A).

Expert Post
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2015, 02:44
You have to understand what the two economic outcomes are. These are to invest and develop technology through entrepreneurship." Production capacity" in itself is not one of the key economic outcomes. " Production capacity" is the factor which when increased by technological development through entrepreneurship becomes an economic outcome. Hence "B" and "C" cannot be the answers.

Aryama Dutta Saikia
Jamboree Education Pvt. Ltd.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 74

GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.26
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2016, 18:13
binit wrote:
For our nation to maintain a position of economic strength relative to other countries, it requires both accelerated personal investment levels and the unobstructed growth of production capacity, the factor which is known as A by economists and which increases grows largely spontaneously through society's development of technology. However, since technology development can be driven through economic support to individual entrepreneurs, ensuring these two key economic outcomes will require balancing these two kinds of financial incentives from the government to the individual.

If the statements in the passage above are true, for our nation to maintain a position of economic strength relative to other countries, it must

A. balance financial incentives to individuals, both to invest and to develop technology through entrepreneurship

B. balance two kinds of financial incentives: investment, on the personal level, and production capacity, on the level of the economy

C. drive accelerate personal investment while allowing production capacity to rise spontaneously

D. devote those financial incentives extended on the personal level to entrepreneurship

E. ensure that production growth remains unobstructed while balancing the two kinds of financial incentives driving personal investment

Growth in economy - two reasons -
1) personal investment
2) production capacity -> technology development -> entrepreneurship

A - Correct
B - Wrong, since financial incentives needs to be for entrepreneurship not production capacity
C - Wrong - same as B
D - Only states 2nd reason. Nothing about 1st. Wrong
E - Only 1 financial incentive for Personal investment. Wrong

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 74

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 855

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 11:05
b9n920 wrote:

:shock: what is the source of the question? First, the stimulus has grammatical errors. Then, the options are also not properly written. It took me forever to arrive at A. Experts, is this a GMAT-like question? if so, then please provide other questions such as this one to practice.

Spread some love..Like = +1 Kudos :)

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 855

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 98

GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2017, 04:34
I got the answer right but can't understand a part of the question. " and which increases grows largely spontaneously" I'm just not able to make any sense out of this. Help would be appreciated.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 98

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 55

Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2017, 02:39
Shivamv wrote:
I got the answer right but can't understand a part of the question. " and which increases grows largely spontaneously" I'm just not able to make any sense out of this. Help would be appreciated.

Please check the explanation given by rachitshah
It is apt to understand this question.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 55

Re: For our nation to maintain a position of economic strength   [#permalink] 02 Sep 2017, 02:39

For our nation to maintain a position of economic strength

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap