Last visit was: 26 Jul 2024, 23:49 It is currently 26 Jul 2024, 23:49
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 74326 [168]
Given Kudos: 20635
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Wharton and Tepper Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 142
GRE 1: Q167 V163
GPA: 3.36
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Given Kudos: 494
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Send PM
Quant Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5186 [1]
Given Kudos: 1859
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
Send PM
Re: Forum Quiz V3.0 - Adaptive Update [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi bb,

I have two questions on the forum quiz -

1) Under the question source drop down, if I select "All Official Excluding GMAT Prep", the auto selection of the sources does not include the following sources -

• GMAT Advanced - I think this should be included
  • OG 9
  • OG 1992
  • OG 1990
  • Verbal OG
  • GMAC Paper Tests

Have they been left out intentionally ?

Note: I observed this while building CR quiz.

2) I remember we made some changes to save the user preferences/settings , is that correct ?. If so, does that happen locally on the browser level or is it stored at the server level.

Sorry, if I sound too technical :lol:

What I mean - if I select sources (or any settings for that matter) for a particular topic, say CR, will I see the settings retained if I use another laptop or another browser on the same laptop. Currently I don't see that happen when I switch between my work laptop and my personal laptop hence the question.

Also, if I clear the cache on my browser does the settings get retained ?

Thanks in advance for your response :)
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 74326 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
TBT wrote:
Does the forum quiz has any option to reset the no. of questions attempted sectionally? For eg. If I take CR quiz of 10 questions. Complete it and then start the same for SC. I have to go back and manually reset the count for CR from 10 to 0.

Hi. Sorry, we do not have a way to reset the sections right now.
You can click into the 10 and type 0 and that will zero out the count so a hack rather than a full feature.
Same way, you can type in 10 for SC instead of clicking +++ every time.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thank you! That's interesting.

1. I think that was an omission/mistake but let me check.
2. I think the quiz settings are saved in a cookie on the local computer. Let me find out as well.

-BB.

gmatophobia wrote:
Hi bb,

1) Under the question source drop down, if I select "All Official Excluding GMAT Prep", the auto selection of the sources does not include the following sources -

• OG 9
  • OG 1992
  • OG 1990
  • Verbal OG
  • GMAC Paper Tests

2) I remember we made some changes to save the user preferences/settings , is that correct ?. If so, does that happen locally on the browser level or is it stored at the server level.

What I mean - if I select sources (or any settings for that matter) for a particular topic, say CR, will I see the settings retained if I use another laptop or another browser on the same laptop. Currently I don't see that happen when I switch between my work laptop and my personal laptop hence the question.

Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 74326 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi. Thank you. Do we feel OG9 and 1992 should be included?

Technically they are official but these are 30 years old 🤷‍♂️

PS. Paper tests should be included.

I got a confirmation that the quiz setting are saved locally in a cookie so they are not transferable and will be lost if you wipe cookies. 😬

gmatophobia wrote:
Hi bb,

• OG 9
  • OG 1992
  • OG 1990
  • Verbal OG
  • GMAC Paper Tests

Posted from my mobile device
Quant Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5186 [1]
Given Kudos: 1859
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:
Hi. Thank you. Do we feel OG9 and 1992 should be included?

Technically they are official but these are 30 years old 🤷‍♂️

PS. Paper tests should be included.

I got a confirmation that the quiz setting are saved locally in a cookie so they are not transferable and will be lost if you wipe cookies. 😬

Thank you bb for the prompt response.

I agree, that questions / concepts that OG9 and 1992 tested may be deprecated (for ex. SC questions were more focused on the usage of idioms those days). We can skip them IMO. There are already enough questions combined. :)

I did notice that paper tests were not included either, but didn't include in my list as someone told me that few GMATPrep (1&2) questions overlap ? Is that not true :think:

If the questions do not overlap, we should include paper tests. They have good collection of questions.

bb wrote:
I got a confirmation that the quiz setting are saved locally in a cookie so they are not transferable and will be lost if you wipe cookies

Ah ! no worries. At least I now know what not to do :D

Thanks again for looking into this.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 74326 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Thank you.

We will go ahead and include all appropriate sources actually. Even though they are old, the feedback I am getting is that old does not mean bad per se.

Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi folks. It's been very quiet... Has anyone been able to reproduce any issues related to not getting served the correct number of questions?

I am looking to understand if this was questions immediately declared short (e.g. 17 instead of 20 in the quiz) or questions that you felt were underserved (possibly double-clicking next and skipping a question, or not served by server for some reason or unknown reasons). My guess if you are taking 50 questions and you get 47 you may not notice it or care enough to notice but if you do, I would like to know.

If you think you had fewer questions in your quiz, please let me know the date when you took it and which of these 2 scenarios you

Thanks,
BB.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi!

I have a question: I tried selecting 12 questions each of RC, CR & SC in 65 minutes to replicate the GMAT test schedule.
However, in RC, quiz forum considers 1 passage with all it's questions as 1 question only. This defeats the purpose of preselecting the number of questions, how will I do timed practice? I can not predict how many questions will be there in each RC passage. Please help!
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
RahulRohilla wrote:
Hi!

I have a question: I tried selecting 12 questions each of RC, CR & SC in 65 minutes to replicate the GMAT test schedule.
However, in RC, quiz forum considers 1 passage with all it's questions as 1 question only. This defeats the purpose of preselecting the number of questions, how will I do timed practice? I can not predict how many questions will be there in each RC passage. Please help!

Hi there. You cannot select the number of questions for RC. As you will notice, the number is for the passages so you can pick 4 passages.

Attachment:
passages.gif
passages.gif [ 16.3 KiB | Viewed 1351 times ]
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [2]
Given Kudos: 89
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 620 Q44 V31
GMAT 3: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 4: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
Kudos
I think there should be an adaptive difficulty mode in forum quiz as well. All questions are already marked with a difficulty level of 10% increments, and the adpative algorithm could be exported from the gmat club tests? I think this feature will be INCREDIBLY useful for micro simulations of the real test!
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
FALSEnine9 wrote:
I think there should be an adaptive difficulty mode in forum quiz as well. All questions are already marked with a difficulty level of 10% increments, and the adpative algorithm could be exported from the gmat club tests? I think this feature will be INCREDIBLY useful for micro simulations of the real test!

Thank you! Great idea!
Thank you for your suggestion and thinking about it. I really appreciate it. I don't know when we will be able to build it however - we just started with 3 interns who will be focusing on Tests, Error Log, and Decision Tracker, so this may come only in Feb. Perhaps you want to apply for the Internship position in Feb? :angel:

P.S. How is the GMAT and applications going?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [1]
Given Kudos: 89
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 620 Q44 V31
GMAT 3: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 4: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:
Thank you! Great idea!
Thank you for your suggestion and thinking about it. I really appreciate it. I don't know when we will be able to build it however - we just started with 3 interns who will be focusing on Tests, Error Log, and Decision Tracker, so this may come only in Feb. Perhaps you want to apply for the Internship position in Feb? :angel:

Hopefully I won't be doing any GMAT prep in Feb! :)
Regarding the internship, I'm definitely considering to apply after I've accepted an admissions offer from somewhere. Since I'm from a design background, I could also help with branding and UI consistency!

bb wrote:
P.S. How is the GMAT and applications going?

Had to retake the exam after the canceled 740 score but could only score a 710 this time (Q47 V40, 2-point drop in quant). For now, I'm hoping this score won't be a factor in my admissions decision for IESE and interview invite for INSEAD, both of which are expected in 7-10 days. Those are my preferred schools but I'm also working on applications for 2-3 more schools just in case IESE and INSEAD don't go through.

I'm not giving up on GMAT though, and am working on getting the timing right for both sections through more mock tests. I think a higher score will help with more competitive schools (INSEAD, LBS) and will definitely help if & when it comes to scholarships.
Just finished analyzing my ESR, which shows percentile splits of 95 DS | 44 PS for quant and 94 CR | 95 RC | 80 SC for verbal, so I have a clear idea where to focus!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [1]
Given Kudos: 494
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Send PM
Kudos
bb I have faced this issue couple of times but as you said due to : possibly double-clicking next and skipping a question, or not served by server for some reason or unknown reasons. The screen goes blank and when I refresh it or press next the next question appears. If I press next and nothing comes, within few seconds the screen refreshes and skips the no. of qustions I have pressed next for. Will definately let you know the scenario once I renew my forum quiz membership and attempt one set!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 74326 [2]
Send PM
Kudos