Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:16 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Fuqua v Ross

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.25
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
Re: Fuqua v Ross [#permalink]
So, you were in at Fuqua in R1 but applied to Ross in R2? That indicates to me that you want to go to Ross more than Fuqua (not sure if that's true). I'd choose on gut feeling but also consider your spouse's admission first. If your spouse gets Duke (which is #1 program for MSN), I'd say definitely go to Fuqua/Duke. If not, being available in 3.5 hours of driving difference can be a great or horrible thing depending on how the relationship goes... I see both pros on cons there.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools: Duke '21 (M$)
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Re: Fuqua v Ross [#permalink]
Congrats! Obviously I'm biased because I chose Duke but wanted to share a few thoughts based on what you said:

-I believe there is a student led VC group--the Duke Angel Network! My interviewer was a member.
-I too have no interest in healthcare but the HSM brings an interesting perspective (and top candidates)
-Grad school only--this was HUGE for me too, as it means the network is consistent and the experience is much better.
-Didn't like that Ross offered so many part time (and even online) programs which along with the undergrad exposure alter the "brand."
-Weather, though not top priority, should be one when splitting hairs between peer schools (which we are) and could ultimately affect your experience. Walking around Durham, sports, hiking, etc.
-Team Fuqua, I thought this was an annoying marketing gimmick at first, but it is real (sounds like you've experienced it already).

Good luck!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Fuqua v Ross [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Looks like it’s an old-ish thread but let me add my 2 1/2 cents to it. Student clubs and especially the investment fund/VC Are highly competitive. I believe there is a limit as to how many clubs you can apply to, some of them you have to be recommended or invited by a member, and there is a strong chance that you may not get into the competitive ones, especially if you do not have the relevant experience as spots are limited.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
Send PM
Kudos
It’s been a minute since I posted this but I wanted to post an update, primarily to help future prospective students since I relied on these types of threads to make my decision.

I ultimately chose Fuqua. My wife got into the nursing program and it made sense for us to be together on the same campus, at the highest ranked programs we got into. For a month or so after I officially committed to Fuqua and declined Ross, I was a little depressed. There was something about Ross, UM, and AA that really resonated with me. Then I started the program at Fuqua, and now I know I made the right choice. I have a great group of friends, I loved the first set of classes, and I’m feeling good about recruiting.

Speaking of recruiting, I’ve shifted to consulting as my primary pursuit with tech as my backup. Fuqua is giving me the resources to feel confident in this endeavor.

Team Fuqua is real - both the good and bad of it. Orientation was a little much and too rah rah for me. But at the same time the alumni look out for their own and the student body is very close. For example, one of the professors was diagnosed with a life threatening illness and we raised over $5,000 for the family. Someone lost their dog and most of the class came out to look for him.

Anyway, probably not going to be on these forums much going forward, but good luck to all in your future pursuits. It’s not easy but it’s worth it.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts